Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 (live updates)
(01-03-2018, 04:36 PM)Synric Wrote: He ruined that defense in buffalo.

I don't think that's fair. Being a coordinator and a HC is tough mentally. If he only had to focus on being a DC I bet he would bring the best out of ours.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:38 PM)Takedown Wrote: This is the first time MB actually thought Marvin wouldn't come back as did all of us. Marvin told ESPN (Adam S.) that he was done after this year to force Mike's hand in more control over the team. Think about it. Why would Marvin leak false info if it wasn't something to do with scaring Mike?

Good point! If true, well played Marvin Lewis.....
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:42 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Good point! If true, well played Marvin Lewis.....

For sure. Lets hope.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:36 PM)Synric Wrote: He ruined that defense in buffalo.

Because he was the HC.  And maybe if he had ever had a QB, who knows what might have happened.   He rode all the way to the AFCG with Butt Fumble at the wheel, for crying out loud.

I'd say it's all moot anyway.  He won't leave the cozy studio and if he somehow did, it would not be to come here.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Here's another thing, where was Mike Brown for this pc? Or anyone from the front office? Nope, it was just Marvin out there doing a typical Marvin presser.

Once again, the Brown family has shown that they could give two squirts about the fanbase. I mean at least make some attempt to reason with the fans, or try to sell your product. But they are doing absolutely nothing in selling anything. Instead, they roll Marvin out there by himself to take the questions so they can cower behind their revenue sharing income, and their offices the taxpayers paid to be built.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Here's another thing, where was Mike Brown for this pc? Or anyone from the front office? Nope, it was just Marvin out there doing a typical Marvin presser.

Once again, the Brown family has shown that they could give two squirts about the fanbase. I mean at least make some attempt to reason with the fans, or try to sell your product. But they are doing absolutely nothing in selling anything. Instead, they roll Marvin out there by himself to take the questions so they can cower behind their revenue sharing income, and their offices the taxpayers paid to be built.

I'm pretty sure Mike is still sour for handing over more power to Marvin. It was the better of the two evils in his eyes. Less Power > New HC/Change.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 03:42 PM)pally Wrote: won't commit to keeping the 4-3 defense..this could be big

That might mean Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan or Dean Pees — but this is unlikely because the Bengals lack the proper defensive personnel to run a 3-4. I prefer hiring Jack Del Rio and resurrecting the 2000 Ravens’ 4-3 defense because the Bengals already have all the pieces in place including Vontaze Burfict who can play the part of Ray Lewis — minus the murder thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:02 PM)Takedown Wrote: I'm pretty sure Mike is still sour for handing over more power to Marvin. It was the better of the two evils in his eyes. Less Power > New HC/Change.

Yeah.  He just couldn't wipe the frown off his face.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:05 PM)McC Wrote: Yeah.  He just couldn't wipe the frown off his face.

[Image: mug-mbrown.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:08 PM)Takedown Wrote: [Image: mug-mbrown.jpg]
Plus, he had drag marks on his ass from being pulled into the current century.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:11 PM)McC Wrote: Plus, he had drag marks on his ass from being pulled into the current century.

Not true, he used his cart and got a flat on the way back into the present. Still waiting on AAA to help him out.

[Image: th?id=OIP.lalCP5saLTU3_8ahlrk9fgHaFj&pid=Api]
Reply/Quote
Thanks Ragnar, reps. After yesterday and early this morning this does make me feel tons better, especially PA being gone.

I am also one of the guys that likes Lazor and it is nice seeing him up there with Marv and having some say. Maybe Marv
will give him all the control in 2nd halves now. Cause this is Marv's biggest problem besides game management IMHO.

If we just add one top FA we will be much better going into the draft, this is not asking much.

Minter was a big time let down last year but i do believe Haslett has a lot to do with this. Lets get another LB coach to go
along with Del Rio please.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That might mean Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan or Dean Pees — but this is unlikely because the Bengals lack the proper defensive personnel to run a 3-4. I prefer hiring Jack Del Rio and resurrecting the 2000 Ravens’ 4-3 defense because the Bengals already have all the pieces in place including Vontaze Burfict who can play the part of Ray Lewis — minus the murder thing.

I agree with this. I’m not sure why people think we have the personnel for a 3-4 base. Some of it’s there sure, but not all or most, in my opinion. I also believe a switch would effectively deem Geno mostly useless, but I’m no expert. Plus our LBers are horrible in space except VB. Maybe a 3-4 could mask some of that but I’d expect that to be moot, given the deficiencies I see.

They are trying to win now, which is part of the reason Marvin was brought back. The best course of action would be to build on the foundation that is here, with the talent that’s here.

In my opinion, this is a (potentially) championship caliber defense. With a little more help in coaching & a player or two, they can be deadly.

The offense isn’t really that far off either, if they can fix the blocking & get another receiving threat. Boyd has that potential. Kroft is a decent TE & Mixon & Gio could be the best duo in the league - that potential is there.

I think we just may surprise some people next year, including many fans.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 06:28 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I agree with this. I’m not sure why people think we have the personnel for a 3-4 base. Some of it’s there sure, but not all or most, in my opinion. I also believe a switch would effectively deem Geno mostly useless, but I’m no expert. Plus our LBers are horrible in space except VB. Maybe a 3-4 could mask some of that but I’d expect that it would be moot.

They are trying to win now, which is part of the reason Marvin was brought back. The best course of action would be to build on the foundation that is here, with the talent that’s here.

In my opinion, this is a (potentially) championship caliber defense. With a little more help in coaching & a player or two, they can be deadly.

The offense isn’t really that far off either, if they can fix the blocking & get another receiving threat. Boyd has that potential. Kroft is a decent TE & Mixon & Gio could be the best duo in the league - that potential is there.

Not to rain on your parade, but we have heard this all before, "We are a player or two away". This defense needs a good safety and 2 LBs to be good. I won't forget a whole new philosophy to boot.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 06:34 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Not to rain on your parade, but we have heard this all before, "We are a player or two away". This defense needs a good safety and 2 LBs to be good. I won't forget a whole new philosophy to boot.

Maybe being a player or two away is nothing new, & maybe that’s been the issue the whole time (that ownership is too narrow to sign the necessary missing pieces). Seems that’s what Marvin wrestled away from (mike) this time around. So ... time will tell, I suppose.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Woo Hoo! I'm getting high on the fumes from the idea that Paul Alexander is gone, we're going to be bigger players in FA, and Coordinators will get to select their position coaches!

Bengal fans, welcome to an almost modern style franchise!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 06:28 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I agree with this. I’m not sure why people think we have the personnel for a 3-4 base. Some of it’s there sure, but not all or most, in my opinion. I also believe a switch would effectively deem Geno mostly useless, but I’m no expert. Plus our LBers are horrible in space except VB. Maybe a 3-4 could mask some of that but I’d expect that to be moot, given the deficiencies I see.

(01-03-2018, 06:38 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Maybe being a player or two away is nothing new, & maybe that’s been the issue the whole time (that ownership is too narrow to sign the necessary missing pieces). Seems that’s what Marvin wrestled away from (mike) this time around. So ... time will tell, I suppose.

I think scheme will have a lot to do with it DA. With Del Rio we would probably run a lot more man to man and much
less soft zone. This is the biggest reason i want to move on from Paulie G and go the Del Rio route, we would be much
more aggressive and play to the strengths of our players on Defense. New Linebacker coach is needed though.

Also i think Lazor having some say on Offense had something to do with the change to more directional blocking late
in the year and we will see much more of this under a new O-line coach.

Bottom line is this team needs to be more aggressive and play less zone and what you say could happen.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 06:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Woo Hoo!  I'm getting high on the fumes from the idea that Paul Alexander is gone, we're going to be bigger players in FA, and Coordinators will get to select their position coaches!

Bengal fans, welcome to an almost modern style franchise!

Haha, I'm still waiting to see. Actions speak louder than words. If they at least show signs of playing more in FA, I'll feel much better about them. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 06:51 PM)thillan Wrote: Haha, I'm still waiting to see. Actions speak louder than words. If they at least show signs of playing more in FA, I'll feel much better about them. 

I'd say we'll know for sure, in just a couple months.  Many of us have been saying that there are too many holes that need filled by competent players than can be expected to be filled by rookies from the draft.

That "prove it" moment is coming pretty soon.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
So he says "we're going to start bringing in more outside FA's" and then rebuffs someone asking if theyre going to start bringing in FA's?
Reply/Quote