Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin's Press Conference Has Me EXCITED!
(01-05-2018, 12:19 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: A new line coach was a big step, and Marv's 0-7 playoff record is bad but maybe Mike thinks that starting completely over with a new coach would set things back for years, which is why he's letting Marvin (hopefully) call more shots now.

We have the pieces and another thing is maybe Mike's finally realizing that assistant coaches do matter and there's a lot more that goes into a team than just putting players on the field.
Only thing it would change in the way I view Marvin is that he finally grew a set of balls and said "do this or I'm not coming back.  Go all-in to win or there's no point in me being here."

Del Rio would make sense since he was Marvin's linebacker coach when Marvin had the amazing 2000 defense and he might be licking his chops at a backing core with Burfict, Jewell (or whoever we draft), and whoever else we draft or sign (or if we go with a guy on the team like Vigil), and not to mention Geno eating offenses alive.

It would definitely change the way I view MB and just make me think "the old man finally gets it, and he's also willing to spend some money to win."

We will see Brad, we should know if this is true or not if we bring in a new DC and a new LB coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:19 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Only thing it would change in the way I view Marvin is that he finally grew a set of balls and said "do this or I'm not coming back.  Go all-in to win or there's no point in me being here."

Del Rio would make sense since he was Marvin's linebacker coach when Marvin had the amazing 2000 defense and he might be licking his chops at a backing core with Burfict, Jewell (or whoever we draft), and whoever else we draft or sign (or if we go with a guy on the team like Vigil), and not to mention Geno eating offenses alive.

It would definitely change the way I view MB and just make me think "the old man finally gets it, and he's also willing to spend some money to win."

Pretty much my thoughts as well.
Reply/Quote
I'm trying to be realistic and a little hopeful, lol we wanted del Rio and they are bringing in Austin. I bet he's hired which I'm in between on I kind of like the guy. But part of me is saying del Rio is the better choice. Or maybe even Colts former coach as dc. So I think free agency will be just a tad better then what it's been the last couple years. We will get someone on a James Harrison level of signing that will excite some fans ,he won't be great but won't be bad. I see the usual two guys in free agency. And the usual bringing back a bum in bodine.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 07:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nothing wrong with the OP being excited about the Press Conference. But misery loves company so many will try to shine it in a poor light.

As to me; there were some things that Marvin said that I liked and I will not doubt they will happen.

Marv's words have produced nothing but playoff appearances with a record 0-7 result in the last 15 seasons, but year 16 will be different, right?

Hoooray for everyone's blind optimism. Mellow

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 07:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That's what we're saying, though, that this looks like a new direction and a new culture.

I know not to put all my eggs in one basket, but it sounds like Marvin made some demands in his contract negotiations and he knows that it's time to make it happen.

This has all been said and felt in previous reboots. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 02:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see Brad, we should know if this is true or not if we bring in a new DC and a new LB coach.

New coaches is lipstick on a pig. Same as Marv's empty words.

A real change comes in the form of signing at least (and i say at least because that's all that's really needed) one, in their prime, free agent that will solidify a starting spot as well as making the right decisions on who plays. Your average fan doesn't really know when or how any adjustment is made in game (marv's journalistic jargon aside), but when a team is as competitive and consistent in the 2nd half as they are in the first, you can be comfortable in knowing you have a good team that can compete.

Without going back and checking, the last time the Bengals were this way (competitive--scoring wise--in both halves) was in 2013.

Reply/Quote
This does remind me a bit of when Carson left. The organization is reaching a crisis point and realizing some changes must be made. And we had great success after that. But. We still have no playoff wins. Maybe we can pull it off in the next 2 years. I do believe they are serious about making changes and doing more. But will it be enough? We'll see.

Reply/Quote