Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin says it’s not his responsibility to motivate players
This is a completely stupid statement by Marv.

In any organization - company, school , law firm, sports organization- it is definitely the responsibility of the leader to inspire and motivate the people he or she supervises.

Do you think Tomlin or Belichick  don't motivate their players.

Players in those organizations who are not motivated are initially benched and then gone if they do not get motivated.

Bengals get more and more comical. All you can do is laugh at these excuses and finer pointing at others instead of accepting responsibility and making changes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marv has lost his dam mind.

Also, what he said about some "pretty important games coming up" when in reality their level of importance is pretty much moot at this point.
Reply/Quote
Well I have taken a few mental intelligence classes as a HRM and I agree with Marvin that it is not your job to motivate anyone. It is your job to set the framework for them to motivate themselves; as everyone is not motivated by the same thing. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Marvin understands the dynamic more that many experts in this forum that were "motivated" by their PeeWee coach with Ice Cream after the game.

What do we think Marvin should do to "motivate" a millionaire getting paid to play a game if that player cannot motivate themselves?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 05:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well I have taken a few mental intelligence classes as a HRM and I agree with Marvin that it is not your job to motivate anyone. It is your job to set the framework for them to motivate themselves; as everyone is not motivated by the same thing. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Marvin understands the dynamic more that many experts in this forum that were "motivated" by their PeeWee coach with Ice Cream after the game.

What do we think Marvin should do to "motivate" a millionaire getting paid to play a game if that player cannot motivate themselves?

It’s called the bench.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 05:24 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It’s called the bench.

That sounds motivating.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 05:24 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It’s called the bench.

.....or at least an ass chewing with some of the boneheaded shit we've seen here.  I also believe adults should motivate themselves, but there are times when things are going to shit, someone has to step in, calm the waters, and re-focus everyone.  That's motivation as well, and that's what you need from leaders.  Remember Mike Zimmer on the sidelines here?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Marv needs to be put out of his misery....
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
He knows he's done and doesn't give an eff anymore...

[Image: x5lx8.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 05:34 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Marv needs to be put out of his misery....

He just needs to be motivated.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 05:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well I have taken a few mental intelligence classes as a HRM and I agree with Marvin that it is not your job to motivate anyone. It is your job to set the framework for them to motivate themselves; as everyone is not motivated by the same thing. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Marvin understands the dynamic more that many experts in this forum that were "motivated" by their PeeWee coach with Ice Cream after the game.

How about showing these millionaires they can win if the head coach stop being ultra conservative and takes some chances? Marvin is a momentum killer. He'd rather punt on 4th and half a football than go for it. God forbid one or two of his players might get excited they accomplished something good which bleeds down to the next guy... 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 05:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: How about showing these millionaires they can win if the head coach stop being ultra conservative and takes some chances? Marvin is a momentum killer. He'd rather punt on 4th and half a football than go for it. God forbid one or two of his players might get excited they accomplished something good which bleeds down to the next guy... 

Not sure going for it on 4th down is the elixir as Pittsburgh is dead last in the NFL in going for it on 4th down and Cleveland is #2.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 06:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure going for it on 4th down is the elixir as Pittsburgh is dead last in the NFL in going for it on 4th down and Cleveland is #2.

I was just pointing out a staple of Marvin's conservative ways. Hard to be motivated when the coach doesn't put you in position to succeed. Ask our defense if they like this bend but don't break crap he plays? The defense loved playing for Zimmer, why because he challenged them by playing man alot.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 05:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He just needs to be motivated.

Yes, he needs to be motivated - to put himself out of his misery.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote

A head coach should be able to inspire, to push, to influence, to encourage, to build confidence. All those things fall under motivational umbrella in my opinion.

Just because a player is making a lot of money doesn't mean that he can't lose confidence, struggle in his play, become frustrated, etc..or maybe just be in need of a 'boot to the ass' reminder once in awhile.

It's those moments where a quality head should have the ability to 'motivate'.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 06:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: A head coach should be able to inspire, to push, to influence, to encourage, to build confidence. All those things fall under motivational umbrella in my opinion.

Just because a player is making a lot of money doesn't mean that he can't lose confidence, struggle in his play, become frustrated, etc..or maybe just be in need of a 'boot to the ass' reminder once in awhile.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 04:40 PM)snowy Wrote: This. Players are supposed to be grown men and professionals, but often they don't act like it. That's where coaches come in.

THIS is a coach....

THIS is not a coach.....
[Image: ap-image.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 02:11 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: If motivation & scheme isn't his job, what is his job.

Well he’s not calling plays, he certainly isn’t in charge of discipline (pretty sure no one in this organization is).... so from what I know he is responsible for the red flag on game days and scheduling practices. Must be the easiest job that’ll pay over $1 million/yr. Leonardfan40 for Bengals HC 2018!!! Help me out guys, I’ll resign after a few seasons so one of you can get rich too. Unlike that greedy Marvin Lewis who refused to leave for 15 years
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 06:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: A head coach should be able to inspire, to push, to influence, to encourage, to build confidence. All those things fall under motivational umbrella in my opinion.

Exactly, I will add challenge to your list. We keep trotting out the same old scheme time and again with the same results. Tell me that's motivational, getting your ass kicked because, "that's the way we have always done it".....
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 01:28 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: This is like the "journalist jargon" crap from last year... More evidence that this man just doesn't get it and has no business being a head coach

I don't know the context of his comments, BUT they sound like a person who won't accept responsibility. He has a similar "head up his ass" attitude toward half-time adjustments. No wonder the Bengals can't beat good teams, any team in prime-time, or the Steelers even when the Steelers have a bye-week.

Someone told me that during the MNF game the Bengals were already on the field after half time, but the Steelers were late coming out. The Bengals scored a field goal before the Steelers got on the field, but it took them six plays to get close enough. Tongue
Reply/Quote

Meh, that seems more like a role for a sports psychologist. Very likely that I am wrong, but a coach motivating his players should stop right around the time they get played to play, 

Reply/Quote