Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Marvin wanted Reuben Foster
(02-13-2018, 10:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I hope Mods will leave this in JN, because I want Bengal fan's responses to this discussion:

Marvin wanted Reuben Foster.  Even after he got thrown out of the combine, and had the "diluted sample", Marv saw his athletic ability and wanted him.  

I wanted Ross, but I don't mean this thread to be about Ross and his Marv Issues.

Foster has been arrested for pot and no domestic violence with possession of an illegal assault rifle in the same month.  He is likely facing a six game suspension.  

Had the Bengals drafted him, they would be right back where they started reputation-wise.  And they would be without another high draft pick.  So Marv acts like a douche and doesn't play Ross because he wanted Foster.  Thank God the Bengals didn't listen to him.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 10:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I hope Mods will leave this in JN, because I want Bengal fan's responses to this discussion:

Marvin wanted Reuben Foster.  Even after he got thrown out of the combine, and had the "diluted sample", Marv saw his athletic ability and wanted him.  

I wanted Ross, but I don't mean this thread to be about Ross and his Marv Issues.

Foster has been arrested for pot and no domestic violence with possession of an illegal assault rifle in the same month.  He is likely facing a six game suspension.  

Had the Bengals drafted him, they would be right back where they started reputation-wise.  And they would be without another high draft pick.  So Marv acts like a douche and doesn't play Ross because he wanted Foster.  Thank God the Bengals didn't listen to him.

Alot of HC's wanted him. Doesn't mean they were going to get him after the process shakes itself out..
Reply/Quote
Ross was a garbage pick. Ross will never be a real factor here or honestly imo anywhere. Should've traded back and drafted jarad davis
Reply/Quote
I wanted Foster. Good thing I'm not a General manager.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 01:19 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: We would have been leading the NFL in LB suspensions too.  You have no clue if Foster was the BPA, that is just a guess. We havent even seen what Ross can do because of our hard-headed coach. Read the articles of WJ III and his epic season and tell me why he wasn't starting from day one!

To the bold, maybe. Or maybe not. Who knows what would have happened. Maybe he wouldn't have gotten in trouble with a better structured organization. We have no clue.

As far as BPA, yep. What wasn't a guess? Ross' injury history and our lack of needing a WR. Again, I'm not saying Ross is garbage. But any time we draft an oft injured or seriously injured player, I don't care for the move. Especially when we keep trying it high. So for high picks I'll take a solid prospect over one with injuries 9 times out of 10.

(02-13-2018, 01:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How do we know this?

(02-13-2018, 01:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Actually after Ross's pre draft visit he felt Lewis Brown and Lazor were really interested in him. Ross is quoted saying he got really steong vibes from each. A few weeks later Lapham was saying the Bengals were targeting Ross. 

Edit: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/4/28/15466438/john-ross-on-bengals-amazing-vibe-coach-lewis

Calm down, fellas. I didn't say Marvin Lewis tea bagged Ross' mom.

Lewis called Ross out a couple times this season, very unusual for Marvin who typically doesn't call out rookies or point out their bad play. He also said once or twice Ross wasn't in their game plans this year.

Considering his treatment of Ross, he doesn't seem to be his biggest fan.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 02:31 PM)Benton Wrote: Lewis called Ross out a couple times this season, very unusual for Marvin who typically doesn't call out rookies or point out their bad play. He also said once or twice Ross wasn't in their game plans this year.

Considering his treatment of Ross, he doesn't seem to be his biggest fan.

But this has nothing to do with how much he was wanted on draft day.  Seems Marvins problems with ross have to do with what Ross did, or didn't do, after he got here.

And where is all the cheering and applause for Marvin finally holding a player accountable.  Isn't that what so meany people have been squealing about around here?
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 01:42 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Ross was a garbage pick.  Ross will never be a real factor here or honestly imo anywhere.  Should've traded back and drafted jarad davis

How do you know that? I say let him at least get  on the field on a regular basis before we call him garbage. At least we let Ogbuehi prove it first!!
Reply/Quote

Right there with you wanting Ross over Foster at the time and i bet Ross makes the bigger impact this year after Foster's
suspension. Ross will have an entire Offseason and Lazor will have his own playbook to use him at his strengths. Ross
having time to heal up the shoulder should help and he can gain some muscle to take hits.

Foster was nuts at the combine and is a really small Linebacker.

I like Roquan Smith much better if we go LB in the first this draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 03:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But this has nothing to do with how much he was wanted on draft day.  Seems Marvins problems with ross have to do with what Ross did, or didn't do, after he got here.

And where is all the cheering and applause for Marvin finally holding a player accountable.  Isn't that what so meany people have been squealing about around here?

Too bad he only holds some guys accountable.  Too bad his LT and C didn't get the same treatment, one which they richly deserved.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 03:11 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: How do you know that? I say let him at least get  on the field on a regular basis before we call him garbage. At least we let Ogbuehi prove it first!!

Isn't it obvious?  He can see the future.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 03:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote:
But this has nothing to do with how much he was wanted on draft day.
 Seems Marvins problems with ross have to do with what Ross did, or didn't do, after he got here.

Wanting to trade back would seem to indicate otherwise. If you're sold on Ross and he's there when you pick, you take the pick. If you aren't sold on Ross, you try to drop back and see what shakes out.

Again, there's the use of the word "seem." It's objective. I get that you object. I'm just stating an opinion based off what I've seen, as are you. Room for everyone's opinion.  ThumbsUp

And accountable for what? He seems to not like the guy, that's not something you get held accountable for. Personally, I squeal about him not playing young guys for no apparent reason other than favoring older players. I think he does that 1- out of old fashioned loyalty and 2- out of thinking they're more dependable. 
Reply/Quote
Foster was a terrific player. A lot of people wanted him, including on this board. I wouldn't fault Marvin for feeling the same way, unless he was ignoring blatant personality flaws that he knew about and other may not have. They should know better than that by now.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 06:37 PM)Benton Wrote: Wanting to trade back would seem to indicate otherwise. If you're sold on Ross and he's there when you pick, you take the pick. If you aren't sold on Ross, you try to drop back and see what shakes out.

Again, there's the use of the word "seem." It's objective. I get that you object. I'm just stating an opinion based off what I've seen, as are you. Room for everyone's opinion.  ThumbsUp

And accountable for what? He seems to not like the guy, that's not something you get held accountable for. Personally, I squeal about him not playing young guys for no apparent reason other than favoring older players. I think he does that 1- out of old fashioned loyalty and 2- out of thinking they're more dependable. 

Or they felt even if they drop a few spots he would still be there...like they did with Mixon in the second round.

When Lapham said he was the Bengals first round target a couple weeks before the draft then it was a very good chance he was going to be the pick.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 12:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: No idea.

Like I said, not a verifiable source. Just that the idea has been stated before this incident.
Like the far left media, they think if they say something (fake) often enough, people will think it is true. Not saying this is, but it could be. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 06:41 PM)Synric Wrote: Or they felt even if they drop a few spots he would still be there...like they did with Mixon in the second round.

When Lapham said he was the Bengals first round target a couple weeks before the draft then it was a very good chance he was going to be the pick.

Usually when I go to the office box of doughnuts and I find the chocolate filled with milk chocolate on top that I like... I wait around to see if I can get it and a slightly stale glazed after they've all been picked through.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
You really can't predict character flaws unless you know the person or have enough evidence of the past and trust the word of people who know the person well enough.
These guys really are kids heading into the NFL, not really grown men with years of maturity under their belt. Most of us won't be judged the rest of our lives based on dumb stuff we did as kids. Even Foster may very well get his act together and have a great career, but it sure has gotten off to a rocky start.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Foster was also one of the better defensive rookies this year. Some rank him only behind Lattimore as most impressive rookie on that side of the ball.

Ross was a non-factor.

You can change these issues with Foster, and he’s already proven he can play at a high level in the league.
Reply/Quote
What I need someone to explain to me is ..... If Marvin did not want Ross then why did they pick him? Did Mike Brown force the pick on him? If that is true then why did Mike Brown not demand that he get playing time?

I swear to God I wish that these guys would answer questions instead of giving answers like " Only John Ross can get John Ross playing time" or "He wasn't in the playbook this week"... Why the hell to they have to be so cryptic when they want fans to buy tickets to watch this team? Just tell us why the hell he didnt play last year when they said he was healthy.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 03:11 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: How do you know that? I say let him at least get  on the field on a regular basis before we call him garbage. At least we let Ogbuehi prove it first!!

Did not agree with pick per bigger needs last year. 

But agree Ross has not been given a fair chance around Bengals country. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The good news is it'll be a new season for every player and coach and like every season they'll have a bunch of new players. Obviously things do change. They don't usually change at the pace most of fans want them to change, but they do change. 
I'm going to do my usual and feel optimistic for the new season even if I'm flat out wrong. The one thing that I do like about every new season and the reason I feel optimistic is its always new even when things seem to be going in reverse. 
If it appears to be the same old same old then I'll worry about that next season, but until then it's still going to be a new season. As of right now we're tied for both first and last place along with 2nd, 3rd, 4th places and so on. 
I just can't help myself. I have to be optimistic for every new season otherwise I completely lose interest then I don't care about at all .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote