Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Marvin wanted Reuben Foster
(02-15-2018, 10:24 AM)BengalChris Wrote: A few select catches doesn't prove he was doing it in practice. It makes no sense that Marvin would keep him inactive because he was overruled by Mike Brown on the draft pick.

You're absolutely right, as it doesn't make any sense.  Like playing Jeremy "one-yard-if-I'm-lucky" Hill over Mixon.  Like playing Lafell over Ross, Core, and Malone.  Like playing Bodine and Hopkins over Redmond and Westerman.  Like playing Adam Jones over WJIII.  Like playing MJ at RDE over Willis.  Like playing Ced at LT over a corpse.  

There are a hell of a lot of things Marv does that doesn't make any sense, but for the #9 overall pick in the draft to come out and post videos that shows exactly what we saw out of the kid in college (I don't care if it is in practice...that is where dumbass supposedly doesn't see it) when every WR not named AJ Green was struggling and even Green was having his worst season ever, is pathetically stupid.  That's Marv, making no sense.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 10:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You're absolutely right, as it doesn't make any sense.  Like playing Jeremy "one-yard-if-I'm-lucky" Hill over Mixon.  Like playing Lafell over Ross, Core, and Malone.  Like playing Bodine and Hopkins over Redmond and Westerman.  Like playing Adam Jones over WJIII.  Like playing MJ at RDE over Willis.  Like playing Ced at LT over a corpse.  

There are a hell of a lot of things Marv does that doesn't make any sense, but for the #9 overall pick in the draft to come out and post videos that shows exactly what we saw out of the kid in college (I don't care if it is in practice...that is where dumbass supposedly doesn't see it) when every WR not named AJ Green was struggling and even Green was having his worst season ever, is pathetically stupid.  That's Marv, making no sense.  

LMAO

I don't like Marv either.

Reply/Quote
No idea why they didn't have Ross out there, but I'm glad we didn't draft Foster. He reminds me too much of Rey M.
Ross is the type of WR that fits best for our team and it makes sense.

This year, we should get Edmonds at LB. Would be a huge steal.
Reply/Quote
Amazing how this happened on the west coast and the Hatfield and McCoy battle starts on here that being said...

My friend is a 49ers fan and wants Foster cut if this happens do we pick the guy up?

The firearm could of been legal here if it was just a clip capacity issue not sure if that's the case.

We already got Mixon on the team so him dragging his gf around would not be such a big deal if that was the extent of the violence against her.

We believe in giving guys a second chance so if he gets cut by the 49ers {big if} would you be against picking up a 1st round pick on a prove you changed type deal?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 04:42 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Amazing how this happened on the west coast and the Hatfield and McCoy battle starts on here that being said...

My friend is a 49ers fan and wants Foster cut if this happens do we pick the guy up?

The firearm could of been legal here if it was just a clip capacity issue not sure if that's the case.

We already got Mixon on the team so him dragging his gf around would not be such a big deal if that was the extent of the violence against her.

We believe in giving guys a second chance so if he gets cut by the 49ers {big if} would you be against picking up a 1st round pick on a prove you changed type deal?

No there is a difference between the 2.
Mixon's incident happened in the past before he became an NFL player. He's been punished and has kept his nose clean since, seems lesson learned. Age of incident: 18, current age: 21. Mixon is 3 years removed from his incident.

Foster's happened after he became an NFL player, this is something that should not happen once they are no longer kids. Age of incident and current age: 23. He should know better by now.

But hey, I bet Mike and Marvin are ready to open their checkbook and hearts for RF. MB's kinda deal, cheap redemption project and would make Marvin happy (if he really wanted him in the draft last year). Win win, MB Style.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 04:42 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Amazing how this happened on the west coast and the Hatfield and McCoy battle starts on here that being said...

Do I want another guy we can't count on?  Hell, no. 

Do I think Marv would go after him?  Absolutely.  
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 10:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You're absolutely right, as it doesn't make any sense.  Like playing Jeremy "one-yard-if-I'm-lucky" Hill over Mixon.  Like playing Lafell over Ross, Core, and Malone.  Like playing Bodine and Hopkins over Redmond and Westerman.  Like playing Adam Jones over WJIII.  Like playing MJ at RDE over Willis.  Like playing Ced at LT over a corpse. 

LaFell was better than Ross, Core, or Malone.

Pac and WJII played almost the exact same number of snaps in the games where they both were healthy.

MJ is a better RDE than Willis.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 09:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Do I want another guy we can't count on?  Hell, no. 

Do I think Marv would go after him?  Absolutely.  

Vinny Rey is getting old and needs replaced as the first guy off the bench Vigil is that guy IMO. So we need two more starters and backups we don't have that many draft picks since we need to address the O line. So its either go without or pick up Foster on the cheap to try to fill a starting spot.
Reply/Quote
As it turns out, this most recent incident wasn’t Reuben Foster’s first run-in with the law. Also, he’s injury prone — so no interest from me.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 09:06 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Ross didn't see playing time because he couldn't play, fumbled when given a chance, stopped on a route when given another chance, hid injury. He couldn't get it done in practice either, which is why Marvin wouldn't play him. Had nothing to do with the front office picking a guy the coaches didn't want.

A guy drafted in the top 10 should have an impact and help the team win. Ross, a WR, had zero catches, one touch and one fumble.

And what a brilliant way they chose to build the guy up so they could get a return on their investment.  Brilliant coaching.   Shatter his confidence,  Woo Hoo!  He's a rookie.  We'll give him three chances and that's it, we're done with him.  What's that?  We have one WR who can get open?  Who cares?  I'm done with him.

Another example of Marvin's management genius.  Way to get the most out of manpower.  Almost as brilliant as keeping Will Jackson off the field as long as you did.  Rock on, Marvin, you bastion of brilliance.  So happy we get two more years of it. 

What will be the disgusting tale of this year's first round pick?  Will we draft an injured guy or will we bury him on the bench for a year or two?  Can't wait to see.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 11:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: LaFell was better than Ross, Core, or Malone.

Pac and WJII played almost the exact same number of snaps in the games where they both were healthy.

Ross > LaFell and it's not even close. LaFell needed to upgraded over and the Bengals did just that. Marvin just didn't play him.
In 2017, there were 21 teams who's #2 WR (not including tight ends or running backs) who had more receiving yards than LaFell.
14 of those players had more TDs than LaFell.
4 of those players had as many TDs as LaFell.
The Bengals ranked 32nd in the NFL for a reason. 27th in passing offense.
"Well, we ranked top 12 in passing TDs"
Congrats?
LaFell was out there on more snaps than any of our WRs.

Pac should have been released, but yet Marvin stuck up for him. Plus, WJIII should have been the starter all year. Not Adam Jones. Adam Jones started 9 games this year. 9. WJIII started 5 games.
And yes, WJIII started getting more snaps. Which is obviously deserved. But why continue to start Adam Jones over WJIII? Serious question.

MJ is not a better RDE than Willis. He's done better as a hybrid DT than at DE. Film will show you that he was productive at DT, not so much DE.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
10 games from a good player or no games from a bust? Ninja
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 07:19 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Ross > LaFell and it's not even close. LaFell needed to upgraded over and the Bengals did just that. Marvin just didn't play him.

Marvin did not play Ross because Ross was not better than LaFell.

Your opinion of Ross is meaningless.  He has shown nothing to indicate that he was better than Lafell.  Since LaFell entered the league in '10 he is one of only 15 WRs with at least 390 receptions and a 13.4 or better average per catch.  He is no super star, but he has been a solid starter for years while Ross has done ZERO in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 11:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: LaFell was better than Ross, Core, or Malone.

LaFell is predictable. That may not be the best choice of words, but "dependable" doesn't really fit. He catches the ball about half the time, he throws a block that works about half the time and he stays healthy. That's something Marvin can plan around. He can predict LaFell will contribute without the peaks and valleys younger guys have. No "Oh wow, look at this guy" games, but no "Oh crap, look at this guy games" either. So "better" is opinion here, as we didn't really see Core (although he looked good in 2016 when we did), Ross or Malone. 

I guess my hang up is guys like Core (who I'm big on) and Ross (who I'm not) are on the way up. They'll get better faster with more snaps. LaFell is on the way down. We were sinking last year, there was no reason the last third of the season to trot him out there instead of developing the young guys. We didn't develop guys on a down year because Marvin prefers playing vets.

WJIII should have played more. He looked better, Pacman is losing a step. Same as LaFell, Pacman is only playing because of his tenure. Personally, I don't think he should be playing in Cincinnati at all any more.

MJ and Willis don't play the same at the same position.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 07:19 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Ross > LaFell and it's not even close. LaFell needed to upgraded over and the Bengals did just that. Marvin just didn't play him.
In 2017, there were 21 teams who's #2 WR (not including tight ends or running backs) who had more receiving yards than LaFell.
14 of those players had more TDs than LaFell.
4 of those players had as many TDs as LaFell.
The Bengals ranked 32nd in the NFL for a reason. 27th in passing offense.
"Well, we ranked top 12 in passing TDs"
Congrats?
LaFell was out there on more snaps than any of our WRs.

Pac should have been released, but yet Marvin stuck up for him. Plus, WJIII should have been the starter all year. Not Adam Jones. Adam Jones started 9 games this year. 9. WJIII started 5 games.
And yes, WJIII started getting more snaps. Which is obviously deserved. But why continue to start Adam Jones over WJIII? Serious question.

MJ is not a better RDE than Willis. He's done better as a hybrid DT than at DE. Film will show you that he was productive at DT, not so much DE.

Great post Wolf with truth behind all of it.

(02-19-2018, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin did not play Ross because Ross was not better than LaFell.

Your opinion of Ross is meaningless.  He has shown nothing to indicate that he was better than Lafell.  Since LaFell entered the league in '10 he is one of only 15 WRs with at least 390 receptions and a 13.4 or better average per catch.  He is no super star, but he has been a solid starter for years while Ross has done ZERO in the NFL.

Way to ignore all of Wolf's post's substance Fred and ignore what has happened lately once again.

I liked Lafell when we added him and stuck up for him but we can upgrade the #2 WR position and John Ross has the skills to do just that.

You will see one day. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 05:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Way to ignore all of Wolf's post's substance Fred and ignore what has happened lately once again.

I did not ignore it.  I just didn't see any.  What "substance" does he have to his argument that Ross was better than LaFell last year.

All I see is an opinion pulled out of thin air with no "substance" behind it at all.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not ignore it.  I just didn't see any.  What "substance" does he have to his argument that Ross was better than LaFell last year.

All I see is an opinion pulled out of thin air with no "substance" behind it at all.

Pulling stats from 2010 doesn't really support LaFell's ability in 2017, either. 

LaFell had more opportunity, but didn't look great doing it. There's no shortage of guys who can catch 55ish percent of their targets as second or third receiver.

I'm not knocking LaFell, I was one of his biggest cheerleaders when I thought he was a stopgap while we tried to get a playoff win. But we aren't winning any playoffs as we are, so there's not a big reason to keep playing him. better to use that time on guys who need to develop.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not ignore it.  I just didn't see any.  What "substance" does he have to his argument that Ross was better than LaFell last year.

You only quoted his first sentence and ignored the rest of his post.

Pretty simple.

You do this a lot.

Marvin did not play Ross last year much at all so it is unfair to compare him with the guy who got tons of playing time.

The point is Lafell was less than great and we can do better.

Whether it is Ross, Malone, Core or someone from the outside.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 05:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You only quoted his first sentence and ignored the rest of his post.

Same goes for the rest of his post.  Nothing but opinion with zero substance to back them up.  "Pacman should have been released"  Seriously?  That would have been a very stupid move.

Adam Jones played 9 games for the Bengals last year.  In 5 of those 9 Jackson played more snaps than Pacman (and in another Adam only played 4 more snaps).

And finally the claim that "film would show" Willis is a better de than MJ is just another opinion with nothing to back it up.  I know how "film study" works around here. People see what they want to see and disregard the rest.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 05:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Marvin did not play Ross last year much at all so it is unfair to compare him with the guy who got tons of playing time.

Only if you live in "make believe" land where coaches don't care if they win or lose.  Based on your logic it is fair to argue that Ross was better than A J Green last year.
Reply/Quote