Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Marvins work with defense finally having effect.
(11-28-2018, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I knew Marvin's work as DC would take some time to show some results, but it looks like it is finally paying off after just a game and a half.  Bengals held the Browns to just 66 yards in the second half.

Nick Chubb came into that game averaging well over 5 yards per carry, but we held him to just 3.0.  I look for us to do the same to the Broncos rookie RB sensation Phillip Lindsay.  Lindsay has been the Broncos sole bright spot over the last couple of weeks.  After gaining at least 350 yards in 6 of their first 8 games the Broncos have failed to reach that mark in their last 3 games.

If Driskal can stay away from turnovers I think we can move the ball on Denver's 25th ranked defense. Playoff push starts this Sunday.  Since 2011 the Bengals have won 60% of their games in the last 5 weeks of the season.  Only 6 teams have a better record than that.

Hmm so we are just going to pick and choose which halves of which games the Bengals defense has had success? What about the first half of the Browns game where Baker lit us up? Or the Ravens game where Lamar Jackson ran all over us? 

This is just a really, really bad take. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 09:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No.  Just no.  I am a big fan of Fred because he pulls out statistics like Dave Lapham does — which is extremely impressive — but I’m done with Marvin Lewis.  I watched the Stephen A. Smith rant and he is right.  Quoting statistics from garbage time against the Cleveland Browns is not representative of the season.

Now, to be honest, I want Fred to be right and for me to be wrong.  Nothing would make me happier than for Marvin to prepare his defense and beat up the Denver Broncos.  I would love to see a shutout.

Fred only pulls stats that show half the story. Hes a cherry picker. Kind like this thread. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 12:39 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: To be fair, I thought the run defense played well all game even during the first half. Most of Chubb's yards came on one long run.

I still think Lindsay is going to have a field day on Sunday.

"Most of Chubbs yards came on just one long run".

Um ok? He still got the yards and they still counted. Whether its on one long run or multiple runs, what the hell is the difference? 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 01:40 AM)Millhouse Wrote: That defensive performance against the Browns also helped a lot in not being the worst defense of all time yardage-wise.

As long as the Bengals defense hold teams to under 441.2 yards a game, they will not beat the Saints record back in 2011 of 7,042 yards given up.

:giggle:

Woo Hoo.  Something to shoot for.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 12:43 AM)McC Wrote: I agree about Mayfield.  I hear he has already gone up one on his helmet size.   This kind of applies to their whole team.  Fine, you won a game.  Doesn't mean you have to be dicks about it.  

In my opinion its kind of nice to see a quarterback with some attitude and competitiveness. I wish my quarterback was like that... 

Remember when Marvin was trying to get Andy to "be a dick" in training camp a couple years ago? 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 09:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: See, now I'm in the position of trying to defend Marvin, which I do not want to do because I want him gone.... but, I try to be fair. He has been DC for 2 games. How quickly did people expect him to be able to turn this defense around? After the last couple of horrendous games giving up 500 yds., I think a half of 66 yds. is a pretty big turn around. Maybe it took 6 quarters for the players to finally get what he is saying to them..... who knows...… if they can repeat it this week, great. 

Marvin did say they were totally thrown by the Browns coming out with a 4 receiver set and took a while to adjust.  Now, shouldn't what to do against that look already be in your play book?  Maybe a couple plays or even a series trips you up.  But to be mystified for an entire half?  To me, Marv was making an admission of stupidity.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 07:47 AM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: I don't know where you live, but I live in northern Ohio.....and the Clowns fans are exactly why I can't stand them.  They win one game and all of a sudden, they are the best team in the AFC.  Mayfield may be the new Pig Pen for us Bengals fans once Pig Pen retires....Ugh.

I'm in Dayton... 45 minutes to an hour from Cincinnati, and Browns fans probably outnumber us 60-40... They been real quiet for years, but not now. I said in another thread the local sports talk guy here a couple of weeks ago compared Mayfield to Rogers and Brady... He was serious.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 10:45 AM)jason Wrote: I'm in Dayton... 45 minutes to an hour from Cincinnati, and Browns fans probably outnumber us 60-40... They been real quiet for years, but not now. I said in another thread the local sports talk guy here a couple of weeks ago compared Mayfield to Rogers and Brady... He was serious.

Damn. I think Baker Mayfield is going to be really good but its a little too soon for that. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 10:39 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: In my opinion its kind of nice to see a quarterback with some attitude and competitiveness. I wish my quarterback was like that... 

Remember when Marvin was trying to get Andy to "be a dick" in training camp a couple years ago? 

He's a Brown.  And he beat a terrible defense whose coach had no solution for a 4 WR set.  That doesn't exactly make him Joe Montana.  Being a Brown means he will always be the enemy and not entitled to one ounce of respect in my eyes.  A tool is a tool is a tool.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 10:37 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: "Most of Chubbs yards came on just one long run".

Um ok? He still got the yards and they still counted. Whether its on one long run or multiple runs, what the hell is the difference? 

Yards on 1 or 2 long runs don't count in a defense's performance. Don't you know that?

It's like the 3 second rule for food.
Reply/Quote
Mayfield is a winner. Period. The kid walked on twice and made himself the No. 1 pick in the NFL. I wish Dalton played with half the chip on his shoulder that Mayfield does. Him calling Hue out is a passion rarely seen around here. You wanna know about the Bengals organization, all you need to do is look at Hue's response to the Browns DB handing him the ball after that interception. Any man with any pride and an ounce of balls in his sack would have shoved that ball straight in his face mask. Hue pats the guy on the head. LMAO!
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 09:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If they took their foot off the gas, that was a huge mistake, as the score was closing pretty quickly towards the end of the game. I really do not think Greg Williams is a "take your foot off the gas" type of coach.... more like a "In your face, we're running the score up" type....

Either the Browns lets up (not intentionally but simple human nature in these situations) OR ML made some wonderful halftime adjustments. Which is more likely?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 11:15 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Mayfield is a winner. Period. The kid walked on twice and made himself the No. 1 pick in the NFL. I wish Dalton played with half the chip on his shoulder that Mayfield does. Him calling Hue out is a passion rarely seen around here. You wanna know about the Bengals pu**y @as organization, all you need to do is look at Hue's response to the Browns DB handing him the ball after that interception. Any man with any pride and an ounce of balls in his sack would have shoved that ball straight in his face mask. Hue pats the guy on the head. LMAO!

Mayfield is gonna be an annoying mofo if he eventually doesn't turn out like RGP3 and stays relevant as a QB. He's shown he has a big mouth as he's proven with Hue coming to Cincy debacle.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 11:15 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Mayfield is a winner. Period. The kid walked on twice and made himself the No. 1 pick in the NFL. I wish Dalton played with half the chip on his shoulder that Mayfield does. Him calling Hue out is a passion rarely seen around here. You wanna know about the Bengals organization, all you need to do is look at Hue's response to the Browns DB handing him the ball after that interception. Any man with any pride and an ounce of balls in his sack would have shoved that ball straight in his face mask. Hue pats the guy on the head. LMAO!

You can pimp him all you want, but to me, he's the enemy and an utter punk, so I'm just gonna go on and hate him.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 01:03 PM)McC Wrote: You can pimp him all you want, but to me, he's the enemy and an utter punk, so I'm just gonna go on and hate him.

Me too.... he's shown what an ass he is with the whole Hue thing, and he's gotten blasted for it.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 10:47 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Damn. I think Baker Mayfield is going to be really good but its a little too soon for that. 

That's what callers were saying too. He was adamant that that's the trajectory he's on.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 11:15 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Mayfield is a winner. Period.

Dalton's TCU team finished undefeated and ranked #2 in the final AP poll his senior year after they beat #4 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.  None of Mayfield's Oklahoma teams did that well.

Mayfield currently has a 3-5 record as a starter in the NFL.  Dalton was 6-2 in his first 8 NFL starts.  
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 01:03 PM)McC Wrote: You can pimp him all you want, but to me, he's the enemy and an utter punk, so I'm just gonna go on and hate him.

Most of our fans are dying for a guy, especially at the QB spot, with more of what Mayfield brings. Yet on another team he is a punk. 

I do not consider him an enemy. I do however consider Mike Brown to be the enemy.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 02:39 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Most of our fans are dying for a guy, especially at the QB spot, with more of what Mayfield brings. Yet on another team he is a punk. 

I do not consider him an enemy. I do however consider Mike Brown to be the enemy.

On any team, he is a punk because he is a punk.  He abused one of the worst defenses in the history of the league.  He must be a god. 

You can sniff his jock all you want.  Forgive me if I don't.  Mike Brown has nothing to do with it. And the great ones don't talk shit. They just play and leave it at that.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 12:39 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: To be fair, I thought the run defense played well all game even during the first half. Most of Chubb's yards came on one long run.

I still think Lindsay is going to have a field day on Sunday.
Another blast from the past. I well remember those 90's era nuggets showing how our run defense wasn't that bad... 

Yeah,yeah, THAT'S the ticket!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote