Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Marvins work with defense finally having effect.
(11-28-2018, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I knew Marvin's work as DC would take some time to show some results, but it looks like it is finally paying off after just a game and a half.  Bengals held the Browns to just 66 yards in the second half.

Nick Chubb came into that game averaging well over 5 yards per carry, but we held him to just 3.0.  I look for us to do the same to the Broncos rookie RB sensation Phillip Lindsay.  Lindsay has been the Broncos sole bright spot over the last couple of weeks.  After gaining at least 350 yards in 6 of their first 8 games the Broncos have failed to reach that mark in their last 3 games.

If Driskal can stay away from turnovers I think we can move the ball on Denver's 25th ranked defense. Playoff push starts this Sunday.  Since 2011 the Bengals have won 60% of their games in the last 5 weeks of the season.  Only 6 teams have a better record than that.

Fred, I defend you when someone calls you a troll in one of the Dalton threads and then you have the gall to post this?

And TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!!! 

Just kidding. This is kind of a trollish post 'cause there ain't no way you can claim garbage time stats as evidence of anything. Just sayin'.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I knew Marvin's work as DC would take some time to show some results, but it looks like it is finally paying off after just a game and a half.  Bengals held the Browns to just 66 yards in the second half.

Nick Chubb came into that game averaging well over 5 yards per carry, but we held him to just 3.0.  I look for us to do the same to the Broncos rookie RB sensation Phillip Lindsay.  Lindsay has been the Broncos sole bright spot over the last couple of weeks.  After gaining at least 350 yards in 6 of their first 8 games the Broncos have failed to reach that mark in their last 3 games.

If Driskal can stay away from turnovers I think we can move the ball on Denver's 25th ranked defense. Playoff push starts this Sunday.  Since 2011 the Bengals have won 60% of their games in the last 5 weeks of the season.  Only 6 teams have a better record than that.

I guess this is something, thought it would get better but after surrendering that many points in the first half
against the damn Stains, it had to get better. Think Marv is a better DC than Austin but that isn't saying much
with the amount of talent on this Defense, should of been one of the best Defense's in the league this year,
not the worst of all time.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 12:43 AM)McC Wrote: I agree about Mayfield.  I hear he has already gone up one on his helmet size.   This kind of applies to their whole team.  Fine, you won a game.  Doesn't mean you have to be dicks about it.  

I guess we should expect that from a classless organization like the Browns.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 03:42 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I guess we should expect that from a classless organization like the Browns.

We were decimated, with a horrible defense, and they beat us once in, what is it, four years and acted like the won the SB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 02:47 PM)McC Wrote: On any team, he is a punk because he is a punk.  He abused one of the worst defenses in the history of the league.  He must be a god. 

You can sniff his jock all you want.  Forgive me if I don't.  Mike Brown has nothing to do with it.  And the great ones don't talk shit.  They just play and leave it at that.

Agree,

Rarely does the punk attitude work out long term. It's great, fun, exciting and all now because the Browns are desperate for any sliver of hope. But when they go 6-10 or whatever next year or the season after all that "attitude" gets old really quick.
Reply/Quote
Going back to the draft I defended Mayfield. He is not a criminal and he has a ton of talent. I don't blame the Brown's for taking him number one.

But people who think a punk attitude makes a better QB are clueless. Great leaders are players who work hard and lead by example. The "attitude" or "swagger" has nothing to do with it. Montana, Marino, Manning, Young, Brees, Rodgers, none of those guys acted like jerks.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 03:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Going back to the draft I defended Mayfield.  He is not a criminal and he has a ton of talent.  I don't blame the Brown's for taking him number one.

But people who think a punk attitude makes a better QB are clueless.  Great leaders are players who work hard and lead by example.  The "attitude" or "swagger" has nothing to do with it.  Montana, Marino, Manning, Young, Brees, Rodgers, none of those guys acted like jerks.

Yeah, thought Mayfield was the best QB in the draft but when you act like this it is rare for you to last long.

The great ones usually have class, now we have two pricks in this Division at QB...
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 03:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But people who think a punk attitude makes a better QB are clueless. 

It's not even that. They think QBs with punk attitudes are leaders and QBs without aren't! 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 03:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Going back to the draft I defended Mayfield.  He is not a criminal and he has a ton of talent.  I don't blame the Brown's for taking him number one.

But people who think a punk attitude makes a better QB are clueless.  Great leaders are players who work hard and lead by example.  The "attitude" or "swagger" has nothing to do with it.  Montana, Marino, Manning, Young, Brees, Rodgers, none of those guys acted like jerks.

Was going to say the same thing.  I read a ridiculous post about Andy's religion somehow being a detriment to his game.  Really?  I guess they forgot about the all time goody two-shoes, Roger Staubach.

Lots of GREAT QBs weren't douchebags, Moon, Anderson, Tarkenton, Starr, Cunningham, SB winners like Simms, Doug Williams, Griese, etc.

Jeff George was an all time d-bag, how'd that work out?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 01:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton's TCU team finished undefeated and ranked #2 in the final AP poll his senior year after they beat #4 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.  None of Mayfield's Oklahoma teams did that well.

Mayfield currently has a 3-5 record as a starter in the NFL.  Dalton was 6-2 in his first 8 NFL starts.  

I can't even figure out the level of stupidity in this post.

I'll be nice and let you have all 4 years of AD at TCU
pass yrds: 10,314
Yrds per pass: 7.8
Tot TDS: 71
Tot INTs: 30
Comp% 61.7
Overall Record (44-8)

Baker in 3 years at OU (4th year incudes stats from from Texas Tech)
pass yrds: 12,292 (14,607)
Yrds per pass: 10.6 (9.8)
Tot TDS: 119 (131)
Tot INTs: 21 (30)
Comp% 69.8 (68.5)
Overall Record: 34-6 (39-9)

So in 3 years, Baker did more and better than AD in everything. Even Winning %.

And to top it all off, I'd much rather have Baker as the Bengals QB than AD.

Starting Records in the NFL doesn't mean much does it?
Dalton Took over on a team that had a 10-5-1 the previous year.
Baker took over a team that had only won 1 game in 2 years?
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 06:44 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: So in 3 years, Baker did more and better than AD in everything. Even Winning %.

Dalton was 42-8 (.840) in games he played, but it is hard to tell how many he started.  There was one game his freshman year were Marcus Jackson attempted more passes than Dalton.  Mayfield went 39-9 (.813) in games he played, but again there was a game his freshman year where Davis Webb attempted more passes.

So it looks like Dalton had a better winning percentage than Mayfield.

(11-29-2018, 06:44 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Starting Records in the NFL doesn't mean much does it?

It does when the comment is "Baker Mayfield is a winner. Period!"

(11-29-2018, 06:44 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Dalton Took over on a team that had a 10-5-1 the previous year.

Wrong again.  Dalton took over a team that had went 4-12 the previous year.

(11-29-2018, 06:44 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I can't even figure out the level of stupidity in this post.

Just like you could not figure out winning percentages or the Bengals record the year before Dalton arrived?

Smirk
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 07:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton was 42-8 (.840) in games he played, but it is hard to tell how many he started.  There was one game his freshman year were Marcus Jackson attempted more passes than Dalton.  Mayfield went 39-9 (.813) in games he played, but again there was a game his freshman year where Davis Webb attempted more passes.

So it looks like Dalton had a better winning percentage than Mayfield.

It does when the comment is "Baker Mayfield is a winner. Period!"

Wrong again.  Dalton took over a team that had went 4-12 the previous year.

Just like you could not figure out winning percentages or the Bengals record the year before Dalton arrived?

Smirk

First off I said "Baker in 3 years at OU" vs "I'll be nice and let you have all 4 years of AD at TCU", the year he was at TT is not completely known on all of the games that he was actually the starter.

Winning % from OU was 85% Daltons is 84%

You're right on the Bengals record, I made a mistake, Bengals were 14-18 in the prior 2 years while the Browns were 1-31.  Which teams is worse? That better?

Now which QB would you rather have on your Team? Dalton or Baker?
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 03:45 PM)McC Wrote: We were decimated, with a horrible defense, and they beat us once in, what is it, four years and acted like the won the SB.

Sorry we would act the same way if we ever beat the Steelers
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 10:23 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Sorry we would act the same way if we ever beat the Steelers

I disagree.  We never have.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I remember Chad and TJ stomping on terrible towels in Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 06:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: Was going to say the same thing.  I read a ridiculous post about Andy's religion somehow being a detriment to his game.  Really?  I guess they forgot about the all time goody two-shoes, Roger Staubach.

Lots of GREAT QBs weren't douchebags, Moon, Anderson, Tarkenton, Starr, Cunningham, SB winners like Simms, Doug Williams, Griese, etc.

Jeff George was an all time d-bag, how'd that work out?

All that has something to say about what our culture has become.  Disrespect your old coach and your cool and leading a team with toughness. I call BS. We'll see how cool of a leader he is when other teams pull tape on him over time. I dont have any confidence BakeMeACake will have lasting power in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 06:44 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I can't even figure out the level of stupidity in this post.

Comp% 61.7
Overall Record (44-8)

Comp% 69.8 (68.5)

I don't need to defend Fred, because he can do that well, himself.

But there is nothing stupid about his post. I thought that sort of personal attacks died when the previous site was shut down.....

And yes, Dalton took a 4-12 Team to a 9-7 Team and playoffs, his first year. Started the first game till the end.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 06:44 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I can't even figure out the level of stupidity in this post.

Comp% 61.7
Overall Record (44-8)

Comp% 69.8 (68.5)

Hate to pull this card.....but.....different era Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Trolling. It’s live giving up 60 points at halftime only then the opposing team runs the clock out.
Reply/Quote
Calm down folks. Marvin Lewis did not play a single snap in any game the Bengals have ever played in. He didn't give up anything to the Browns. The players did that..
That said, he's still in over his head with not much to work with. 
Assuming he's back yet another season he's going to have to find a great defensive plsycaller for the 2019 season or all bets are off. I hope he's replaced with a better head coach, but I certainly don't want to go sideways and really don't want to go backwards. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote