Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Mass shootings
If we didn't need to unnecessarily increase defense spending annually I imagine we might be able address this. Just the money spent on renovating the Ft. Benning entrance alone could have been used to upgrade security at the schools. But, at least the entrance is pretty to look at.
Teen accused of threatening to shoot up school in Port St. Lucie

https://cbs12.com/story/teen-accused-of-threatening-to-shoot-up-school-in-port-st-lucie

Just pulled this off our local news app. They charged him with a felony.
(02-16-2018, 01:05 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What do you know about teaching leadership?

skipped the question answering portion of the leadership class.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I was talking about this on Sunday:

When you bought your gun did you actively say you were buying it in case you needed to fight back against government tyranny?

I'd bet you didn't.  No one ever told me that.  Only time I've ever heard that is after a mass shooting when someone is afraid "they" will come for their guns.

So can we stop pretending THAT is why we have to defend the 2nd amendment?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-19-2018, 08:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: I was talking about this on Sunday:

When you bought your gun did you actively say you were buying it in case you needed to fight back against government tyranny?

I'd bet you didn't.  No one ever told me that.  Only time I've ever heard that is after a mass shooting when someone is afraid "they" will come for their guns.

So can we stop pretending THAT is why we have to defend the 2nd amendment?

yeah because the gun will do a lot of good against a government with tanks, drones, bombs etc
People suck
(02-19-2018, 09:25 AM)Griever Wrote: yeah because the gun will do a lot of good against a government with tanks, drones, bombs etc

There is a good personal blog post going around that says in essence you don't have an Apache Helicopter...your guns don't matter.

And an active military man told me over the weekend that if you need an AR15 to hunt you really shouldn't be hunting. Smirk
(02-19-2018, 10:06 AM)GMDino Wrote: There is a good personal blog post going around that says in essence you don't have an Apache Helicopter...your guns don't matter.

And an active military man told me over the weekend that if you need an AR15 to hunt you really shouldn't be hunting. Smirk

I contend that if you need any semi-automatic firearm to hunt, then you shouldn't be hunting.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-19-2018, 10:17 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I contend that if you need any semi-automatic firearm to hunt, then you shouldn't be hunting.

That was jist of it.  We were talking about the "need" for such a gun. Whether it be defense from tyranny or hunting.   Smirk
(02-19-2018, 10:06 AM)GMDino Wrote: There is a good personal blog post going around that says in essence you don't have an Apache Helicopter...your guns don't matter.

wonder what gun dick cheney uses to hunt
People suck
(02-19-2018, 10:34 AM)Griever Wrote: wonder what gun dick cheney uses to hunt

I suppose it depends if there is a chance he may shoot someone in the face.   Ninja
So is anyone going to address why the media is propping up these children while they are in the middle of their grief.

This is dangerous. Children have a hard enough time with grief and trauma already. Adding to the cocktail, euphoria from all the media attention. While people try and make an emotional argument for gun seizures. Once these kids come off the media attention high they will crash and hit bottom hard, especially since they have not dealt with their grief yet.

Playing this gun control garbage up is one thing after an incident. But using children as props and standing on the graves of the deceased and the grief of the children who lived is disgusting.

None of this furthers any discussion on this matter because no one ever puts any policy forth. And just because they were in a school that had a shooting, that doesn’t make them experts on policy.

Emotional nonsense.
(02-19-2018, 11:54 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So is anyone going to address why the media is propping up these children while they are in the middle of their grief.  

This is dangerous.   Children have a hard enough time with grief and trauma already.   Adding to the cocktail, euphoria from all the media attention. While people try and make an emotional argument for gun seizures.   Once these kids come off the media attention high they will crash and hit bottom hard, especially since they have not dealt with their grief yet.  

Playing this gun control garbage up is one thing after an incident.  But using children as props and standing on the graves of the deceased and the grief of the children who lived is disgusting.  

None of this furthers any discussion on this matter because no one ever puts any policy forth.   And just because they were in a school that had a shooting, that doesn’t make them experts on policy.  

Emotional nonsense.

The students who lived want to tell their stories.  And they want the adults to respond.

Words like "dangerous" "garbage" and the rest of you post is emotional nonsense, IMHO.

Edit: The students I have heard are better speakers and thinkers than our current POTUS. Maybe we should at least hear them out.
(02-19-2018, 11:58 AM)GMDino Wrote: The students who lived want to tell their stories.  And they want the adults to respond.

Words like "dangerous" "garbage" and the rest of you post is emotional nonsense, IMHO.

Edit: The students I have heard are better speakers and thinkers than our current POTUS. Maybe we should at least hear them out.

Do you not understand what children go through on grief and trauma? They are high off of all this attention distracting them from the grief...... usually after death or a traumatic event the extra attention is to help then get over or make sense of what happened. Now the extra attention is to put out platitudes and when the attention goes away the children will be left to deal with their grief.

Because of this there will be some suicides from this school and if when there are it will be on the media for trotting these children out when the last thing they need is to be giving anti trump speeches and talking about electing democrats.
(02-19-2018, 11:54 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So is anyone going to address why the media is propping up these children while they are in the middle of their grief.

This is dangerous. Children have a hard enough time with grief and trauma already. Adding to the cocktail, euphoria from all the media attention. While people try and make an emotional argument for gun seizures. Once these kids come off the media attention high they will crash and hit bottom hard, especially since they have not dealt with their grief yet.

Playing this gun control garbage up is one thing after an incident. But using children as props and standing on the graves of the deceased and the grief of the children who lived is disgusting.

None of this furthers any discussion on this matter because no one ever puts any policy forth. And just because they were in a school that had a shooting, that doesn’t make them experts on policy.

Emotional nonsense.

The children are choosing to speak out. They are exercising their civil liberties. They have engaged on social media, as well, so they really don't even need the regular media to do anything.

The fact is that our government has gotten less responsive to the people over the years, and the issue of gun control is one place where that is extremely evident. With public opinion as it is on the issue, it is easy to see that they will of the people is being ignored by elected officials. By being victims of such a tragedy, because even those that were not shot are victims, they have been given a voice in our society through their lived experiences. If they choose to use that voice, then why should we stand in their way? Why shouldn't we give them a platform?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-19-2018, 12:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Do you not understand what children go through on grief and trauma?   They are high off of all this attention distracting them from the grief......    usually after death or a traumatic event the extra attention is to help then get over or make sense of what happened. Now the extra attention is to put out platitudes and when the attention goes away the children will be left to deal with their grief.    

Because of this there will be some suicides from this school and if when there are it will be on the media for trotting these children out when the last thing they need is to be giving anti trump speeches and talking about electing democrats.

I do understand.  I have two children and we have talked about this at length.

They are speaking out against those who offer lip service and don't do anything.  They are speaking about the people currently in charge who they are ASKING to do something.  

I find it very disingenuous for you to suggest that they will kill themselves because of the media.

I suppose if we were actually concerned about grief and trauma we wouldn't have to have discussion about bullying and fistfights being good for kids, right?
(02-19-2018, 12:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The children are choosing to speak out. They are exercising their civil liberties. They have engaged on social media, as well, so they really don't even need the regular media to do anything.

The fact is that our government has gotten less responsive to the people over the years, and the issue of gun control is one place where that is extremely evident. With public opinion as it is on the issue, it is easy to see that they will of the people is being ignored by elected officials. By being victims of such a tragedy, because even those that were not shot are victims, they have been given a voice in our society through their lived experiences. If they choose to use that voice, then why should we stand in their way? Why shouldn't we give them a platform?

But Matt!  They are disagreeing with republicans!  It must be because of emotions which some feel have no place in discussions.
(02-19-2018, 12:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The children are choosing to speak out. They are exercising their civil liberties. They have engaged on social media, as well, so they really don't even need the regular media to do anything.

Using social media is one thing. That is Relegated to your circle, which in their case would be other children and those also within their circles. The exact people who help you through the grieving process.

As for then speaking out through the media. They are not experts on the second amendment or actual gun control policy. If my neighbors car gets broken into, that doesn’t make me all of a sudden an expert on police policy to shut down a car theft ring.
(02-19-2018, 12:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: But Matt!  They are disagreeing with republicans!  It must be because of emotions which some feel have no place in discussions.

Glad you think is a funny. We had a year where we had 2 suicides and 1 more attempted. The grief process for children is serious and if it isn’t taken seriously it leads to real consequences..
(02-19-2018, 12:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Glad you think is a funny.  We had a year where we had 2 suicides and 1 more attempted.     The grief process for children is serious and if it isn’t taken seriously it leads to real consequences..

No one thinks suicide is "funny".

*I* think it is "funny" that you are concerned with young people speaking their minds NOW but not other times.

*I* think it is "funny" that you want to blame media talking to and listening to students who survived the latest school shoot IF there is a suicide and not the emotional trauma they went through DURING the latest school shooting.

This is dangerous.   Children have a hard enough time with grief and trauma already.   Adding to the cocktail, euphoria from all the media attention. While people try and make an emotional argument for gun seizures.   Once these kids come off the media attention high they will crash and hit bottom hard, especially since they have not dealt with their grief yet.  

Playing this gun control garbage up is one thing after an incident.  But using children as props and standing on the graves of the deceased and the grief of the children who lived is disgusting.  

None of this furthers any discussion on this matter because no one ever puts any policy forth.   And just because they were in a school that had a shooting, that doesn’t make them experts on policy.  

Emotional nonsense.

A day before the shooting you said that all bullying against children was good. 

Now you care about the grief and trauma they face because you don't want them to advocate against policies you support. 

Solid post.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]