Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maualuga (leg) not expected to play Monday
Is it possible that Maualuga has been dealing with this injury most of the season and that is why his production is way off from last year? I mean, it wouldn't be the first time a player on this team had weird injury news.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 02:49 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Is it possible that Maualuga has been dealing with this injury most of the season and that is why his production is way off from last year? I mean, it wouldn't be the first time a player on this team had weird injury news.

Im thinking thats the case. His production is down, but his snaps are extemely down
Reply/Quote
No. He's always sucks. Just even worse this year
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 03:25 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: No.  He's always sucks.   Just even worse this year

Actually as a downhill LB for run support, he does not suck. In coverage...yes...he's bad, but getting to the line, plugging holes and hitting backs, prior to this year he was good at that. I know it's easier to make blanket statements, but think back to the last time he was hurt and the D was getting gouged by running backs. He came back...and that stopped.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 04:20 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Actually as a downhill LB for run support, he does not suck. In coverage...yes...he's bad, but getting to the line, plugging holes and hitting backs, prior to this year he was good at that. I know it's easier to make blanket statements, but think back to the last time he was hurt and the D was getting gouged by running backs. He came back...and that stopped.

Agreed.  He has been one of our best run defenders for a long while and in the right game, situation he has been an asset.

However even as a supporter of his something is up this year so this injury news is not particularly a surprise.  

Did not realize the contract/cap situation with Rey for next year.  Difficult to see which way they go..if Vigil shows nothing then they cannot move Burfict and so we still are short at LB...I am up for a Rd1-2 LB selection
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 08:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd be all for the Bengals squeezing the trigger on Foster, in the 1st.  Doubt it will happen, as he'll likely go in the top 15 picks, and the Bengals don't really go LB in the 1st

Well there may only be 1 problem then, Top 15 is a pick we are likely to have. And if its in the 10 - 15 area as i think its likely. The better options will be off the board. So lets not reach for a guy who wont play for 3 years, get Foster in from day one.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 05:32 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's possible. However, I see the team sticking with him unless Vigil steps up his game and/or we land some stud in the draft. Until then, I fully expect Rey to be back next season.

I wold think LB might be pretty high on the radar for the 2017 draft, and they will have a number of extra picks...

Vigil would likely play WILL, but they need a thumper in the middle that can still run and cover.  You are right, though, that the Bengals typically never end a contract early.  I hope Rey slims down and makes a positive impact next year.  

We are almost certain to hear that Maualuga and MJ battled through injuries all season and that is the reason for their diminished play.  
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 01:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not true. We took David Pollack, Odell Thurman, Keith Rivers, Rey Maualuga, all in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft. And Burfict would have been a first rounder if not for his issues. 

Agreed, but the last one drafted in those two rounds was Maualuga...and that was in 2009.  Vigil was a step in the right direction, but retreads at this position are not getting it done of late.  Vinny Rey, UDFA, has been a steal.  Flowers, Dawson, DiManche, etc. never really did much.  I think the Bengals need a top tier talent in the middle of their defense.  Someone to push Burfict.  
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 02:49 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Is it possible that Maualuga has been dealing with this injury most of the season and that is why his production is way off from last year? I mean, it wouldn't be the first time a player on this team had weird injury news.

Beat me to it...and that could clearly affect his ability to work out, but what is Burfict's excuse?  He wasn't even playing, but he showed up in poor conditioning.  It is frustrating to take what was once the strength of the defense and turn in to a liability seemingly overnight.  
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 07:34 AM)Bengalboy Wrote: Well there may only be 1 problem then, Top 15 is a pick we are likely to have. And if its in the 10 - 15 area as i think its likely. The better options will be off the board. So lets not reach for a guy who wont play for 3 years, get Foster in from day one.

I sincerely doubt the top LBs will be off the board at picks 10-15.  Teams will be scrambling for QBs, CBs, DEs, and WRs before LBs....and Fournette will likely go early after the impact people are seeing of Zeke Elliot. 
Reply/Quote
Think back to the beginning of this season. Maualuga did not practice, and they claimed it was because of his weight, which was ridiculous as there's not much better to get weight off than going through those practices. Then he mentioned something about a minor injury from "doing something stupid". I think he's been hurt all year, and Marvin just didn't want other teams clueing in on it. He's had calf injuries in the past....
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 10:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I sincerely doubt the top LBs will be off the board at picks 10-15.  Teams will be scrambling for QBs, CBs, DEs, and WRs before LBs....and Fournette will likely go early after the impact people are seeing of Zeke Elliot. 

Might even be able to get someone like McMillan in round 2.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 01:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not true. We took David Pollack, Odell Thurman, Keith Rivers, Rey Maualuga, all in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft. And Burfict would have been a first rounder if not for his issues. 

With the exception of Maualuga, who was seven years ago, you're talking about guys who were all drafted more than a decade ago.  It does not matter where Burfict would have been drafted, all those red flags had to give them pause as to his future availability to the team.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 11:10 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: With the exception of Maualuga, who was seven years ago, you're talking about guys who were all drafted more than a decade ago.  It does not matter where Burfict would have been drafted, all those red flags had to give them pause as to his future availability to the team.

Rivers was 08, so not over a decade ago.

Point is they have taken LB's with high picks under Marvin. Just not of late. We've probably reached the point were we need to do so again though. 

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 10:50 AM)samhain Wrote: Might even be able to get someone like McMillan in round 2.

Currently, CBS has Cunningham of Vanderbilt as the top ILB prospect, and Foster as the next best.  They have them ranked as the 13th and 15th best overall prospects, respectively. 

My thoughts are that unless your scouting department is top notch, and you have identified a specific player that fits well with exactly what you are trying to accomplish, there is a significant drop off from the top 2 or 3 LBs, to the rest of the pack.  I would really like to see the Bengals use their top pick on a MLB, I think that any of the top 3 prospects, ranked by CBS would be considered day 1 starters.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We rebuilt our defense in 2011 with a first round LB (Manny Lawson 22nd pick) and a very high 2nd round LB (Thomas Howard 38th pick). Both were known more for their speed and athleticism than there bulk.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 10:50 AM)samhain Wrote: Might even be able to get someone like McMillan in round 2.

Beat me to it. I prefer McMillan over Foster personally.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 10:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I sincerely doubt the top LBs will be off the board at picks 10-15.  Teams will be scrambling for QBs, CBs, DEs, and WRs before LBs....and Fournette will likely go early after the impact people are seeing of Zeke Elliot. 

I didn't say Foster would be gone, i think he is there between 10 - 20. I said the guys the Bengals might fancy ahead of him with be gone, the DE's. And what I'm saying is don't reach for a DE at 15 when you can get a stud like Foster.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 11:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Rivers was 08, so not over a decade ago.

Point is they have taken LB's with high picks under Marvin. Just not of late. We've probably reached the point were we need to do so again though. 

I doubt they draft a 1st Round LB. You can sign a LB for $3-5 million in free agency. They tend to draft positions that cost $8-12 million in free agency so they get 5 years of cheap labor from that position.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We rebuilt our defense in 2011 with a first round LB (Manny Lawson 22nd pick) and a very high 2nd round LB (Thomas Howard 38th pick).  Both were known more for their speed and athleticism than there bulk.

But it wasn't the Bengals that spent those high round picks on these two. The Niners and Raiders did (respectively) in 2006. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote