Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maualuga (leg) not expected to play Monday
I didn't see him getting many snaps anyway this week. Or at least he shouldn't have.

The Giants tend to run a 3 WR set offense. You need speed, so we will probably see a lot of Shaw and Dennard. Also expect to see Rey in there and Dansby in man (which is a stupid move).
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 01:16 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Beat me to it. I prefer McMillan over Foster personally.

This coming from an OSU fan, but McMillan is really just a younger Rey M, a run support, phone booth playing LB. He's a bit shaky in coverage. 

Foster has more giddy-up and would be a better three down LB IMO. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 01:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not true. We took David Pollack, Odell Thurman, Keith Rivers, Rey Maualuga, all in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft. And Burfict would have been a first rounder if not for his issues. 

And they got burned on almost all of them.

To be fair Pollack was an injury issue and Thurman was a substance abuse issue.  But they have had bad luck with backers.
Reply/Quote
Horrible luck with linebackers. Only hits from draft have been............ugh nevermimd
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 01:39 AM)3wt Wrote: And they got burned on almost all of them.

To be fair Pollack was an injury issue and Thurman was a substance abuse issue.  But they have had bad luck with backers.

I wouldn't say we got burned on Maualuga. He's had some good years.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 02:49 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Is it possible that Maualuga has been dealing with this injury most of the season and that is why his production is way off from last year? I mean, it wouldn't be the first time a player on this team had weird injury news.

(11-11-2016, 10:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Beat me to it...and that could clearly affect his ability to work out, but what is Burfict's excuse?  He wasn't even playing, but he showed up in poor conditioning.  It is frustrating to take what was once the strength of the defense and turn in to a liability seemingly overnight.  

(11-11-2016, 10:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Think back to the beginning of this season. Maualuga did not practice, and they claimed it was because of his weight, which was ridiculous as there's not much better to get weight off than going through those practices. Then he mentioned something about a minor injury from "doing something stupid". I think he's been hurt all year, and Marvin just didn't want other teams clueing in on it. He's had calf injuries in the past....

I think you guys might be on to something here.

Pure supposition on my part, but what if "doing something stupid" resulted in a big gash in his thigh (which I believe is where they said the issue is) which required some stitches.  There is a lot of stretching of the skin in motion, so that could cause him to be unable to  perform much aerobic activity and get out of shape while it heals.  If he finally said "hell with it" in camp and it wasn't fully healed, there is a chance that infection or scar tissue could have gotten in there, causing further issues.  So he gets it addressed over the bye week, and now the doc says it might be a few weeks or more for it to heal properly.  Now he is back to no activity and getting out of shape.  That would lead to the team making the statement about possibly shutting him down for the remainder, as once healed it may take him to long to get back into playing shape.
Reply/Quote
He seemed off this season. But then again, he did since he got here.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 11:59 AM)jeremydc Wrote: He seemed off this season. But then again, he did since he got here.

Am I crazy, or do people have short memories? RM was pretty damn good his first few years, imo.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 01:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not true. We took David Pollack, Odell Thurman, Keith Rivers, Rey Maualuga, all in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft. And Burfict would have been a first rounder if not for his issues. 

So they've used only 4 of 30+ premium picks on the position? None in over 7 years? It was stated that the Bengals "don't put a premium" on the position. I'm not sure how your evidence disproves that statement.

(11-11-2016, 02:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I doubt they draft a 1st Round LB. You can sign a LB for $3-5 million in free agency. They tend to draft positions that cost $8-12 million in free agency so they get 5 years of cheap labor from that position.

Bingo. Honestly, I think it's a solid strategy overall, but they should be willing to stray for the right player at a position that needs help. We could obviously use some infusion of young talent at LB.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 12:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Am I crazy, or do people have short memories? RM was pretty damn good his first few years, imo.

Maualuga was never good , after his 3 sack performance against Illinois in the Rose Bowl he started reviewing1st round grade status . yes he was a hard hitter and even if was excited we drafted him in round 2 . but ever since he's been with the Bengals his play has been subpar. this guy has no instincts cant get off a block to save his life n can't tackle in space.  it wasn't for his name , hair and tats he would have never re signed a 2nd time   
Reply/Quote
The whole LB core has been under performing so maybe a shakeup will be a good thing.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 03:40 PM)treee Wrote: The whole LB core has been under performing so maybe a shakeup will be a good thing.

It would be. Maualuga needs to go, Dansby isn't doing well. Burfict is the only guy I can personally say I want him to stay.

Also, I'm very disappointed in Jim Haslett this season. Every linebacker the Bengals have has taken a huge step backwards.

Maualuga has just looked dreadful. Dansby is being put in man coverage while he's a zone coverage linebacker. Burfict has looked slow and doesn't seem to be doing well.

Even look at Dawson. Last preseason he was amazing and stood out. This year? He didn't do much and seemed out of it.

Hasn't all our starters, too? Maualuga and Burfict were apparently out of shape, and it's showing. Dawson apparently was late to some meetings. It's almost as if there's no accountability nor fire within this corp anymore. It just seems nonchalant.

Haslett deserves a lot of blame, because two promising linebackers (Burfict and Dawson) and two veteran linebackers (Dansby and Maualuga) have been the weakest part of our team and have struggled this entire offseason and season.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 03:51 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: It would be. Maualuga needs to go, Dansby isn't doing well. Burfict is the only guy I can personally say I want him to stay.

Also, I'm very disappointed in Jim Haslett this season. Every linebacker the Bengals have has taken a huge step backwards.

Maualuga has just looked dreadful. Dansby is being put in man coverage while he's a zone coverage linebacker. Burfict has looked slow and doesn't seem to be doing well.

Even look at Dawson. Last preseason he was amazing and stood out. This year? He didn't do much and seemed out of it.

Hasn't all our starters, too? Maualuga and Burfict were apparently out of shape, and it's showing. Dawson apparently was late to some meetings. It's almost as if there's no accountability nor fire within this corp anymore. It just seems nonchalant.

Haslett deserves a lot of blame, because two promising linebackers (Burfict and Dawson) and two veteran linebackers (Dansby and Maualuga) have been the weakest part of our team and have struggled this entire offseason and season.

You're right. Defensive coaches have to be able to motivate their personnel. The whole defense, including linebackers, is playing uninspired. You can try to focus on X's and O's but if you're talent deficient (as we appear to be) then you have to make up for it with attitude.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 03:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Maualuga was never good , after his 3 sack performance against Illinois in the Rose Bowl he started reviewing1st round grade status . yes he was a hard hitter and even if was excited we drafted him in round 2 . but ever since he's been with the Bengals his play has been subpar. this guy has no instincts cant get off a block to save his life n can't tackle in space.  it wasn't for his name , hair and tats he would have never re signed a 2nd time   

Maualuga, like many other bengals, never deserved all the hate he received.

He was a key part of one of the best defenses in the leaghue for years.  He was never a big star but he was never that bad either.
Reply/Quote
We drafted Dawson and Virgil in the third rounds in the past two drafts, we have Dansby, Maluaga, and Vincent Rey all on the team and they all have good contracts , and Vontaz is treated like a king around bengaldom. Point being I don't think it's fair to see the Bengals commit to little to Lb in fact I would say it's the opposite.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
This was all relatively surprising to us, too. I know how most Bengals fans feel about how Marvin talks about injuries -- but I can tell you this with certainty: They don't mess around with the injury report. At least not that I can recall in 19 or so months covering the team. They even put Andy Dalton on it earlier this year with a hip because he limped out of one of the road games, but that was it -- and even I wondered why they did that because he never missed a practice. Now, I can believe it if the player had some issues he tried to play through and when finally pressed was like hey, I'm not feeling right. I don't know though. Hoping to pin it down in the near future.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 11:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Rivers was 08, so not over a decade ago.

Point is they have taken LB's with high picks under Marvin. Just not of late. We've probably reached the point were we need to do so again though. 

Yea I agree especially since the Bengals do not sign good LBs unless they are clearly on the decline.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 03:51 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: It would be. Maualuga needs to go, Dansby isn't doing well. Burfict is the only guy I can personally say I want him to stay.

Not every LB.  The ML way is that younger LB's typically are not going to see the field on defense that much.  It could be argued that if he would loosen his stance some, that we might see what these younger LB's can do.   At this point, I would have to say that Vigil, Flowers and Roach would offer more Athleticism and energy than Dansby and Mau.  Dawson is a good athlete as well, but he just hasn't adjusted to playing in the NFL, at least not in the Bengals system.  Roach has been referred to as Tackling Machine by sports writers, but the FO is big on Drafted Players, so he gets regulated down in the pecking order.   Something has to change with the Bengals, so make it happen if they want to salvage this season.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 11:25 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I think you guys might be on to something here.

Pure supposition on my part, but what if "doing something stupid" resulted in a big gash in his thigh (which I believe is where they said the issue is) which required some stitches.  There is a lot of stretching of the skin in motion, so that could cause him to be unable to  perform much aerobic activity and get out of shape while it heals.  If he finally said "hell with it" in camp and it wasn't fully healed, there is a chance that infection or scar tissue could have gotten in there, causing further issues.  So he gets it addressed over the bye week, and now the doc says it might be a few weeks or more for it to heal properly.  Now he is back to no activity and getting out of shape.  That would lead to the team making the statement about possibly shutting him down for the remainder, as once healed it may take him to long to get back into playing shape.

Naw, he's listed as a "fibula" issue. I suspect he has a hairline fracture that has not healed....
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 01:26 PM)SFmajor Wrote: Not every LB.  The ML way is that younger LB's typically are not going to see the field on defense that much.  It could be argued that if he would loosen his stance some, that we might see what these younger LB's can do.   At this point, I would have to say that Vigil, Flowers and Roach would offer more Athleticism and energy than Dansby and Mau.  Dawson is a good athlete as well, but he just hasn't adjusted to playing in the NFL, at least not in the Bengals system.  Roach has been referred to as Tackling Machine by sports writers, but the FO is big on Drafted Players, so he gets regulated down in the pecking order.   Something has to change with the Bengals, so make it happen if they want to salvage this season.

I'd disagree. Flowers has not been good, and Roach has shown some issues here and there. Vigil has been up and down in preseason. Everything in preseason should be taken with a grain of salt. However, I do agree that we need to make changes because, as I said, every linebacker has taken a step back.

Dawson has much better NFL and preseason tape than any of the guys mentioned from last year. This year? Took a step back. As has every LB.

Also, the FO isn't all that big on linebackers beings drafted. Lamur, Burfict, Vinny Rey, DiManche, and Skuta. You can throw in Harrison if you'd like, since he wasn't drafted. Actually, the Bengals have used more undrafted linebackers since 2010 than drafted linebackers.

Reply/Quote