Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe some DT depth on the way
Listening to Sirius XM reports say Dominique Easley worked out for the Bengals and that there is interest on both sides. He has had some injuries but if he can come through I think he could be a nice addition. The locker room cancer thing from multiple sources and players was way overblown. What do you guys think of Easley joining. I think he was just coming in to his own and were about to see his upside. I am excited.
Reply/Quote
Sign him for the minimum, and see if he can beat anyone out for a roster spot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If he can be the player he was for UF before injuries then we just got scary.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sign him for the minimum, and see if he can beat anyone out for a roster spot.

Might be a little more than minimum but I agree. Incentive base usually works with situations like this. If he can get healthy I think he can definitely beat out some guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 07:51 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: If he can be the player he was for UF before injuries then we just got scary.

Possibly, but that would bump someone off of the current DT corps.  Who you thinking that he's beating out for the role as Geno's backup?  Because he sure isn't going to be seeing a lot of action in the 1 tech, at #288.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 07:51 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: If he can be the player he was for UF before injuries then we just got scary.

That's what I am thinking. If not then you just had another camp body for competition. No matter what it will make people perk up just a little knowing they signed a talent like that for competition. Go earn your spot.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 07:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Possibly, but that would bump someone off of the current DT corps.  Who you thinking that he's beating out for the role as Geno's backup?  Because he sure isn't going to be seeing a lot of action in the 1 tech, at #288.

Well that's the difficult part to envisage at this point of the season. In a sense no one other than Geno is 100% safe at this point. So if he really shines, then there is every chance he makes the team. 

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 07:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Possibly, but that would bump someone off of the current DT corps.  Who you thinking that he's beating out for the role as Geno's backup?  Because he sure isn't going to be seeing a lot of action in the 1 tech, at #288.

You keep the best 53 and if he is one of the best 53 you keep him. Maybe Sims and Thompson leave. I know they are not Genos back up but having Peko, Billings, Atkins and Easley sounds like a nice combination with Hardison being the swing man.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 08:11 PM)Camdaddy08 Wrote: You keep the best 53 and if he is one of the best 53 you keep him. Maybe Sims and Thompson leave. I know they are not Genos back up but having Peko, Billings, Atkins and Easley sounds like a nice combination with Hardison being the swing man.

I could go for that lineup.  But, you seem to be forgetting Deshawn Williams.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 08:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could go for that lineup.  But, you seem to be forgetting Deshawn Williams.

Didn't forget. He was on the practice squad all last year. I like him and see a lot of potential. Again it is th he best 53. If Williams beats out Easley so be it. If not hopefully we can hide him on the PS another year. I just want the best team possible and that elusive playoff win this year.
Reply/Quote
Easley couldn't stay healthy in college and he hasn't stayed healthy in the pros. I'd rather roll with what we have.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 07:40 PM)Camdaddy08 Wrote: Listening to Sirius XM reports say Dominique Easley worked out for the Bengals and that there is interest on both sides. He has had some injuries but if he can come through I think he could be a nice addition.  The locker room cancer thing from multiple sources and players was way overblown. What do you guys think of Easley joining. I think he was just coming in to his own and were about to see his upside. I am excited.

My first thought was that we have lots of DTs on the roster. But then I considered Sims only appeared in 8 games last year and had a total of 12 tackles, while Thompson is going start the year on the PuP List.

If Billings plays well in camp and in preseason, Sims is expendable.

Competition for Atkins' backup would be nice. While many like Williams and Hardinson, neither may be ready to enter the rotation.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 08:41 PM)Camdaddy08 Wrote: Didn't forget. He was on the practice squad all last year. I like him and see a lot of potential. Again it is th he best 53. If Williams beats out Easley so be it. If not hopefully we can hide him on the PS another year. I just want the best team possible and that elusive playoff win this year.

The report I read about this didn't have specifics on when the tryout occurred and it may have been before the draft. I will definitely say that I am surprised that he cleared waivers and has yet to find a team. I do, however, believe that the Bengals are waiting to sign any more FAs until after the June deadline where they will no longer count against the the comp pick formula.

I agree that if a FA can beat out the guy at the bottom of the roster at his spot then it is a good signing. The unknown issues causing him to get cut are a concern and fall outside of the "football skills" point of him being better than someone else. The money is the same way ... If he wants starter money and we just want him to fill the last roster spot it probably isn't a fit.

Everyone is saying good things about Williams and that is always good. But what is his ceiling? Is he ever going to be a star, a starter or is he just going to be the guy who is serviceable, fills a cheap roster spot and finds his name on the bubble list every year? I'd love to see him turn into a dominant star on our team and a great UDFA story.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Easley couldn't stay healthy in college and he hasn't stayed healthy in the pros. I'd rather roll with what we have.

I understand but nothing wrong with bringing him in and seeing.
Reply/Quote
At 285, they might see him more as a DE... Gilberry was 270.

Not sure where he could possibly fit in the DT depth chart. Atkins, Peko, Sims, Billings, Hardison, Williams, Thompson.... on that list, Atkins, Peko, Billings, and Hardison are going to make the team. Thompson might be PUP. That leaves him to fight with Sims, Williams, and whoever else for 1 DT spot at most.

So maybe a DE? Then he'd be fighting against Hunt and Clarke, and I can see him having a chance at beating them out much easier.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 09:04 PM)BengalChris Wrote: My first thought was that we have lots of DTs on the roster. But then I considered Sims only appeared in 8 games last year and had a total of 12 tackles, while Thompson is going start the year on the PuP List.

If Billings plays well in camp and in preseason, Sims is expendable.

Competition for Atkins' backup would be nice. While many like Williams and Hardinson, neither may be ready to enter the rotation.

We do have depth but most are run stuffers. When Geno needs a breather our rush falls off. Competition is always a good thing. I like Williams and Hardinson as well. If they are the right ones then they will neat Easley out.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 09:06 PM)Nizoj Wrote: The report I read about this didn't have specifics on when the tryout occurred and it may have been before the draft. I will definitely say that I am surprised that he cleared waivers and has yet to find a team. I do, however, believe that the Bengals are waiting to sign any more FAs until after the June deadline where they will no longer count against the the comp pick formula.

I agree that if a FA can beat out the guy at the bottom of the roster at his spot then it is a good signing. The unknown issues causing him to get cut are a concern and fall outside of the "football skills" point of him being better than someone else. The money is the same way ... If he wants starter money and we just want him to fill the last roster spot it probably isn't a fit.

Everyone is saying good things about Williams and that is always good. But what is his ceiling? Is he ever going to be a star, a starter or is he just going to be the guy who is serviceable, fills a cheap roster spot and finds his name on the bubble list every year? I'd love to see him turn into a dominant star on our team and a great UDFA story.

Don't think he would count against comp picks sine he was cut. Everything else I agree with. If he wants starter money then he can walk. I still think an incentive deal is the best way to go. Make him earn it by staying on the field and making plays.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 09:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: At 285, they might see him more as a DE... Gilberry was 270.

Not sure where he could possibly fit in the DT depth chart. Atkins, Peko, Sims, Billings, Hardison, Williams, Thompson.... on that list, Atkins, Peko, Billings, and Hardison are going to make the team. Thompson might be PUP. That leaves him to fight with Sims, Williams, and whoever else for 1 DT spot at most.

So maybe a DE? Then he'd be fighting against Hunt and Clarke, and I can see him having a chance at beating them out much easier.

Exactly, guy played all over the DLine in college and did well so I say if they seem him as a DE/DT guy they should bring him in and see if he can stay healthy through camp.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 09:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: At 285, they might see him more as a DE... Gilberry was 270.

I have thought of that and believe he is quick enough to play DE, when he is not hobbling of course. Either way our depth across our d-line would be sick. I can see him beating out Sims though and it would be a good fight with Williams.
Reply/Quote
The only way I see Easley making the squad is as a reserve DE.

DT is set with Peko, Atkins, Sims and Billings. DE has an opening as Dunlap and MJ are locks, and you figure Clarke probably is in. Easley can be the rotation with MJ. That leaves Hardison and Hunt out, but right now we have too many D linemen so someone is getting cut.
Reply/Quote