Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe we need to clean house after the season if things go bad...
(09-16-2019, 12:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Get active in FA, and have a good draft and the team may take off. Pipe dream, I know, 

It is not a pipe dream.

In 2011 offseason the Bengals re-built the defense by signing three solid starters.

In 2018 offseason we traded for one of the highest paid OTs in the league and signed the league's leading tackler in free agency.

They don't do it on a very regular basis, but this front office is willing to make serious moves other than just looking at the draft for every problem.
Reply/Quote
Our defense is putrid. You don't get that bad without poor coaching on defense atleast:

Webb - 33.2
William Jackson - 43.2
Kirkpatrick - 54.2
Vigil - 42.5
Preston Brown - 52.4
Reply/Quote
Here's the thing: if we're not seriously going to use FA the way it should be used and our primary method of team improvement is through the draft, then, yes, we need to explore trades that get us more high draft picks. Trade Dalton and Green and Dunlap and Atkins and whomever else we can that'll bring us more draft picks.

The problem, though, is that this means that we most likely aren't going to be winning games any time soon. The Bengals don't really have the luxury of taking time to do a tear down rebuild. There was more SF fans at OUR HOME GAME than Bengals fans and it was the HOME OPENER.

So, while I know some of us would not necessarily mind taking the time to tear things down and rebuild from scratch, I don't know if the Bengals front office can afford that kind of time. What should happen is that the team builds through the draft AND free agency.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:01 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Here's the thing: if we're not seriously going to use FA the way it should be used and our primary method of team improvement is through the draft, then, yes, we need to explore trades that get us more high draft picks. Trade Dalton and Green and Dunlap and Atkins and whomever else we can that'll bring us more draft picks.

The problem, though, is that this means that we most likely aren't going to be winning games any time soon. The Bengals don't really have the luxury of taking time to do a tear down rebuild. There was more SF fans at OUR HOME GAME than Bengals fans and it was the HOME OPENER.

So, while I know some of us would not necessarily mind taking the time to tear things down and rebuild from scratch, I don't know if the Bengals front office can afford that kind of time. What should happen is that the team builds through the draft AND free agency.

Yep, and is it really necessary? If you hit on a few key positions in the NFL, change happens fast. If we were to hit on a good MLB and QB alone, I think things are already looking much better.

Easier said than done, but not impossible. We might get a top 3 pick this year, so would be a good time to finally make a 1st rounder worth it.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:01 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Here's the thing: if we're not seriously going to use FA the way it should be used and our primary method of team improvement is through the draft, then, yes, we need to explore trades that get us more high draft picks. Trade Dalton and Green and Dunlap and Atkins and whomever else we can that'll bring us more draft picks.

So you think after 28 years of no playoff wins, that the front office is in win now mode?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:05 PM)thillan Wrote: Yep, and is it really necessary? If you hit on a few key positions in the NFL, change happens fast. If we were to hit on a good MLB and QB alone, I think things are already looking much better.

Easier said than done, but not impossible. We might get a top 3 pick this year, so would be a good time to finally make a 1st rounder worth it.

Don't worry, I'm sure the 4 personnel we have with the word 'scout' in their title are canvassing the country so that we have a homerun draft.

This draft was a hard act to follow...with selecting a blocking TE in the 2nd Round. Maybe we'll take a long-snapper with a Top 5 pick.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So you think after 28 years of no playoff wins, that the front office is in win now mode?

This is all hypothetical. We all know how the front office works. They're not going to trade Green or Atkins for anything. So, if we're talking about what the front office IS going to do then why even start this thread?

I thought we were talking about what they SHOULD do.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not a pipe dream.

In 2011 offseason the Bengals re-built the defense by signing three solid starters.

In 2018 offseason we traded for one of the highest paid OTs in the league and signed the league's leading tackler in free agency.

They don't do it on a very regular basis, but this front office is willing to make serious moves other than just looking at the draft for every problem.

Yeah, they need to get more regular, or tear down and rebuild. That's a bit of the issue here, two times in 8 years. The 2015 draft really haunts us too.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Don't worry, I'm sure the 4 personnel we have with the word 'scout' in their title are canvassing the country so that we have a homerun draft.

Sooooooooooooo, you DON'T want to trade our players for draft picks? Nervous
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:18 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Well, I got caught in the rain halfway through mowing on the only day I could fit mowing into my schedule once this summer. I persevered, and the yard looked pretty damn good!

Times of adversity are the true tests of a man's character. I assume that you made your children watch to teach them a life lesson.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I saw a lot of the same tendencies we have for years.

In the 1st game, we statistically dominated...yet found a way to not win.

In the 2nd game, team strengths totally abandoned themselves.

This team can't be that bad. The team culture needs to change and unfortunately it starts at the top.

Time will tell...but IF we finish like 4-12 or 5-11, we seriously need to strongly consider a reboot. Guys like AJ, Geno, and Dunlap are 30/31. We need to get a bunch of young guys on cheap rookie contracts.
Shawn Williams and Dre Kirkpatrick need to go.They got beat so badly it was an amazing embarrassment,I am so so glad I did not go down,I have been nursing a bad case of gout and could not walk so I ate my tickets and stayed home with the little lady and my two recuse dogs and sat in my nice living room in the AC AND I was totally freaked out at how horrible they were.I mean they got beat in everyway possible and the niners were rubbing it in big time the way they carried on in the end zone,I was hoping one of our players just started kicking some ass out there,I would NEVER allowed  an opposing players to be that disrespectful in my house.I would have for sure gotten kicked out by knocking some dude out and would hope the whole team would jump in.To allow them to  rub it in so bad with no respect for us,they super stink and I will always hate the niners.what a horrible day for all us fans.Hey listen our so-called team.YOU are an embarrassment to all the die hard fans and you publicly need to tell all of us on national tv you are so so sorry for this horrible loss.We need to clean house,alot of you players are just awlful,like number 27.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:09 AM)lone bengal Wrote: :andy:

lone bengalThe front office has to do a better job of acquiring outside talent instead hoping to just hit on every draft pick. We added B.W. Webb and Kerry Wynn to the worse defense in the league and thought that was good enough. We hope linebackers like Pratt pan out even though Tobin has showed he can’t draft them. John Miller was our biggest offseason addition and he stinks.

:andy: :andy: :andy:

same thing year after year after year.

Green Bay sign 3 quality free agents despite having the Rodgers contract and now have one of the top 10 defenses in league.

Bengals FO would never do this (has never done this)
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:49 AM)samhain Wrote: I think an epically bad year will result in some staff turnover.  Taylor isn't going anywhere, nor should he.  He deserves time to get his roster where he wants it.

Dalton and Green are the big questions.  I think this team has a legitimate shot at winning less than 5 games this year.  That puts them in the first round quarterback conversation.  A that point, if Zac wants a guy to groom, you let him pick him.  This team isn't constructed well enough to help a 30 mil per year Andy Dalton succeed.  Draft a rookie with upside on an affordable contract, then build the line with the 30 million instead.  

I think that there are enough skill players on the roster that paying Green 20 or 22 mil per year isn't a necessity, either.  Take some mercy on him.  Let him pursue a title before his career ends.  He's been the consummate good soldier.  

A lot of people here like to ask if we as fans would really want to spend 18 mil on "Trent freaking Brown" or give Roger Saffold a 44 million dollar deal.  Well, I'm here to tell you that I absolutely would at this point.  We need established commodities on the line, not retreads and roster backfill.  We've tried the cheap approach for 3 years now and it gets worse and worse.  Spend money to fix the problem instead of extending a guy like AJ to be a hood ornament on a one dimensional offense or Andy to watch him get obliterated when other teams pin their ears back and tee off due to lack of run game.

We're going to get beat a lot until we start winning at the line of scrimmage.  Yesterday's game illustrated that perfectly.  SF doesn't have a great QB or skill players.  I'd take ours over theirs all day long.  What they do have is a legit o-line and defensive front seven, some of which they spent a lot of money on in free agency.  Nobody was laughing at the Kwon Alexander overpay yesterday as their defense shut our offense down.
:andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 02:10 PM)jason Wrote: Times of adversity are the true tests of a man's character. I assume that you made your children watch to teach them a life lesson.

Oh yeah, made em watch, and help the rain wash away the clippings. LOL

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 02:10 PM)jason Wrote: Times of adversity are the true tests of a man's character. I assume that you made your children watch to teach them a life lesson.

Been thinking about taking my 6 year old son to a game.  After sitting though 3 quarters of getting screamed at and harassed by Niners fans, I decided to wait another year, lol.  I'm not ready for him to understand the reality of being a Bengal fan quite that clearly just yet.  
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 03:13 PM)samhain Wrote: Been thinking about taking my 6 year old son to a game.  After sitting though 3 quarters of getting screamed at and harassed by Niners fans, I decided to wait another year, lol.  I'm not ready for him to understand the reality of being a Bengal fan quite that clearly just yet.  

I was in the 3rd level, and remember saying I didn't think this many people would be here. Then I took a good hard look at the jersey colors I was seeing. Red blends in kinda well with orange if you're not paying attention.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I saw a lot of the same tendencies we have for years.

In the 1st game, we statistically dominated...yet found a way to not win.

In the 2nd game, team strengths totally abandoned themselves.

This team can't be that bad. The team culture needs to change and unfortunately it starts at the top.

Time will tell...but IF we finish like 4-12 or 5-11, we seriously need to strongly consider a reboot. Guys like AJ, Geno, and Dunlap are 30/31. We need to get a bunch of young guys on cheap rookie contracts.

About the only thing left to do is to trade away or cut the higher-priced players like Geno, Dunlap, Dalton, etc.
Go a few years with a Top 5 draft pick, roll over a large amount of cap year after year, and then go all-in in like 2022.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just thinking out loud here, but does anyone here like bananas on their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

How about cutting your grass in the rain? I mean, if it's just sprinkling, it's not really a problem...but when it's raining hard, it's difficult to cut. 

Also, while i'm at it, i have this rash...

More importantly are you a folder or a scruncher of toilet paper? These and other important questions should be at the forefront of all Bengals discussions.  Mellow What's your favorite TP embossing pattern ? Flowers or those French(ish) designs?  1000 sheets per roll or...? I used to hate those individual waxy sheets in public restrooms. Maybe it was just me..I dunno.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
How about new ownership? That would be nice.
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 05:16 PM)Adamantium Wrote: How about new ownership? That would be nice.

That would require an assassination plot and persons willing to conspire to pull it off. Life imprisonment and/or the death penalty over football hardly seems worth the effort...but then again football does have SUDDEN DEATH so there's that..  Cool  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote