Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarron >< Kaepernick
(05-13-2017, 07:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not to completely derail the thread from Kaepernick politics or anything, but...

Just out of curiosity, what part of Ohio did you grow up in, that made it acceptable to be a fan of both the Bengals and the Browns?  I mean, I am a Native Ohioan, and I seem to remember fanhood distinctions being pretty clear cut growing up.  Were you one of those guys that had both a Boomer Esiason jersey and a Bernie Kosar jersey, and would sport whichever one had the better game, on Monday mornings?  Or, did you play yourself off as a Bengal faithful, and meet secretly with your Browns buddies, on the down low?  C'mon man, Ohio born fans want to know. Ninja

I grew up and still live in Centerville, OH.  I have ALWAYS been a Bengal's Fan, #1...over all other sports and teams.  Reds, Buckeyes, UC...I root for all of them but they are miles behind the Bengals.  

As a kid, I liked Bernie Kosar and Mike Pruitt.  I think it started when they beat the steelers in a game that I got to see on TV (not every game was close to being broadcasted in our area).  They rallied and beat the steelers, who I have always hated.  I found myself rooting for them more and more and I just kind of had the Browns as a secondary team.  

Then, I went off to college at BGSU.  I remember telling an incredibly obnoxious Browns fan on my floor (after he insulted my Bengal's T-shirt, as he was wearing a Brown's shirt) that I also rooted for the Browns, but they are my #2 to the Bengals, and I always rooted for the Bengals first.  He became enraged (I'm not kidding) and he yelled:  "Oh no!  No way!  You can't be both!  You are one or the other!" So, I instantly said:  "If you listened, I told you I always root for the Bengals #1, and the Browns are a distant 2nd....I just root for everything Ohio".

This only angered him more, and as the year wore on, any time he would see me he would chide me about my lack of hatred for the Browns.  He ended up flunking out (not a big surprise) at the mid-year point, but other guys that were Browns fans were constantly hating on the Bengals.  I wore a Bengals hat (backwards, and I had a LOT of hair back then) and they loved to take shots at Boomer, the Ickey Shuffle, etc.   

The Bengals went on to go to the Super Bowl that year, and this is when I really started disliking the Browns.  The Browns fans in the dorm were rooting heavily for the 49ers, and would pound on our door when they scored, or something favorable happened for them.  When the Bengals lost in the final seconds, they erupted and acted as though they had been 49er fans their entire lives.  That made me hate the Browns.  The next year, all I wanted was to beat the Browns twice.  

Fast forward about twenty years and I am go to a local sports bar to cool off after an argument with my wife.  I was pretty upset, and just needed to get away for a few hours.  I have a Bengals T-shirt on (of course) and I walk in to the bar and find an absolute explosion of steeler fans all over the bar.  There are steeler jerseys at every seat in the bar, except the one closest to the entrance.  I almost walk out, but someone sees my jersey and yells "We Dey!".  I paused, then took the seat at the end of the bar.  My blood was already boiling and I started thinking I could probably bait one of these assbags in to taking a swing at me and then beating the crap out of him.  

I realize it is a Thursday night game, Browns vs. steelers.  The Browns were a gawd-awful team. They had Brady Quinn at QB and had maybe won three games that season.  

So, a little background, I always though Pig Ben looked like he had a vagina for a face so whenever I would see his ugly mug, I would yell "VAAAAA-GINA!"  The game is starting and they show his face on the sideline, so naturally, I yell "VAAAA-GINA!".  The steeler fan to my left turns to me and says "You callin' Big Ben a *****?".  I said, "Oh, no.  I just think his face LOOKS like a vagina...big difference".  Clearly puzzled by my answer, he dives back in to his nachos.

Then, he makes a poor throw early in the game that is incomplete and they have to punt.  I start in again:  "That a boy, vagiburger!....VAAAAA-GINA!"

I will state at this point that I am neither proud of my actions nor do I think there is something clever about how I yell vagina, but the bar had no kids in it and they had started in on me so I was in full-on asshole mode at this point.  

Some of the steeler fans would say things about Carson Palmer, Mike Brown, or whatever and some made points to tell me to STFU, but I persisted.  VAAAAA-GINA!   Every time he would make a bad play of anything.  The Browns were doing next to nothing on offense, which would lead to celebratory cheers such as "here we go, steelers, here we go!" and I would retort with "around the bowl and down the hole, here you go steelers!".  

Some of the steeler fans were getting really pissed at this point because the Browns were actually shutting down the steelers and I was a lone person cheering whenever they would sack Piggy.  A few went as far to come stand behind me and tell me I had better STFU or leave.  I would either ignore them or say something like my favorite Joe Dirt line:  "Go outside and practice falling down a few times, and I will be there in a few minutes".  They were getting so pissed, which was only accentuated by the fact that the Browns were actually in this game and then took the lead!

As loud as they were when they were ahead, I was louder when the Browns took the lead.  I started calling Piggy Pig Ben and would say things like "Here Piggy, Piggy" and the Browns would sack him and I would laugh hysterically.  I was really enjoying myself at this point.  No, I wasn't drunk.  I had two beers the entire game.  

The game starts to wind down and a few disgruntled steeler fans head to the door.  I antagonize with:  "What?  Where are you going?  There is still time left!  Bwahahahahaha!"  A few shouted back FUs from the door, or gave me the gesture that their team was still "number one".  I would just laugh.  

One by one, each turd at the bar walked by me as they sulked off in defeat.   I did my best to annoy the piss out of them further, but none were biting.  I was completely ready to fight, but that was even wearing off because I was having so much fun.

That night, I became a Browns fan again.  They are miles behind the Bengals, but I don't put any team ahead of Cleveland after Cincy.  I used to be a bigger Colts and Saints fan, but once they won the Super Bowl I kind of let them go.  I guess some of it is that underdog nature.  If the Browns started winning a lot and kicked the Bengal's ass, I am sure I would stop liking them.  

So, Sunset, there you have it....the details behind my odd fandom.  I hope it made you laugh, but it is 100% true.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 10:53 PM)PacMan Fever Wrote: Before you all go crazy, I'm just curious if Mc still has any trade value. The way this Offensive line looks, we may be better off with a fast backup QB in Kap if Andy was to go down.
Kap has been to a Super Bowl (actually won playoff games), has more experience, and could be a decent fit for the Bengals. Cincinnati has a reputation as the place where NFL castoffs can go for either one last hurrah, or to rejuvenate their careers. Kaepernick definitely fits the bill. Plus, it looks like no other team will touch him, so he'll probably come cheap.
In McCarron's case, he only has 1 year left on his deal and will for sure be moving on (I really can't see a situation where he resigns to backup Dalton). I'd say instead of trying to get a '18 draft pick for him......there has to be at least a handful of quality young OL players that are sitting on the bench behind All Pros in the league. Maked perfect sense for a "Win Now" approach.

So seriously, why not give Kap a shot??

I agree with you, I think it'd be nice to trade McCarron and use Kap as a back up. I'll also say, I don't agree with his methods of sending a message...but he is a great backup. I can appreciate anyone's freedom of speech, I just know to many soldiers that give a lot for my freedom to ever disrespect the anthem. Just my opinion, nothing more or less.

That being said, I'd sign Kap immediately....even if we don't trade McCarron.

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 01:55 PM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: I agree with you, I think it'd be nice to trade McCarron and use Kap as a back up. I'll also say, I don't agree with his methods of sending a message...but he is a great backup.   I can appreciate anyone's freedom of speech, I just know to many soldiers that give a lot for my freedom to ever disrespect the anthem. Just my opinion, nothing more or less.  

That being said, I'd sign Kap immediately....even if we don't trade McCarron.

Eh, I think we're all full up on pariahs.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
This guy tried to make Sunday's about himself, with an oh well to the league and his teammates. To me, that makes him a bad apple. How many bad apples do we want in our barrel? I think that he has enough talent to be a solid backup, there has to be others out there that fit that bill, without seeking out the personal attention. You know that at a minimum, there were several players on his team that resented his me attitude.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 09:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is not true at all

Harbaughs system made him look better, but Kaepernick had a lot of skills and made a lot of great throws.  If it was all harbaugh then why couldn't he get the same production form every other QB?

He did. Alex Smith was even better than Kaep under Harbaugh. 

Smith: 18-5 (.783) as starter with a 95.1 passer rating
Kaep: 25-14 (.641) with a 90.7 passer rating

With any other coach?

Smith: 61-51 (.545) as starter with an 83.4 passer rating
Kaep: 3-16 (.157) as starter with an 85.5 passer rating
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
1. People preach just wanting a football player but when someone disagrees with them they are suddenly very bad for the team. Kaep does a load for the community outside of football and despite constant criticism has remained professional

2. When you watch film of Kaepernick he was actually pretty good last year with WRs and TEs none of you could name. He tore apart defenses like Seattle and Atlanta. He just had an awful team around him doing absolutely nothing.

3. I'm the furthest thing from an SJW, but it always tickles me to see people always ask those protesting to do it over to the side, where no change could possibly be accomplished due to it not being public. Odd how this mostly happens with black people protesting. Hmm....

4. Teams are significantly less likely to win with a backup QB if the starter gets hurt long term. What I want in that situation is a high ceiling QB. This doesn't mean the QB will develop to be great, but the QB can bring a lot to the table to increase variables that can improve play. Kaep has a good arm, slightly below average accuracy, and the ability to RUN. Since a good QB like Dalton allows the margin of error from the rest of the team to increase, Kaep's ability to be versatile does a similar thing although the general margin of error is decreased.

I am very behind trading McCarron for whatever we can get him for and signing Kaep, because then we get the added benefit of compensation
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 10:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I grew up and still live in Centerville, OH.  I have ALWAYS been a Bengal's Fan, #1...over all other sports and teams.  Reds, Buckeyes, UC...I root for all of them but they are miles behind the Bengals.  

As a kid, I liked Bernie Kosar and Mike Pruitt.  I think it started when they beat the steelers in a game that I got to see on TV (not every game was close to being broadcasted in our area).  They rallied and beat the steelers, who I have always hated.  I found myself rooting for them more and more and I just kind of had the Browns as a secondary team.  

Then, I went off to college at BGSU.  I remember telling an incredibly obnoxious Browns fan on my floor (after he insulted my Bengal's T-shirt, as he was wearing a Brown's shirt) that I also rooted for the Browns, but they are my #2 to the Bengals, and I always rooted for the Bengals first.  He became enraged (I'm not kidding) and he yelled:  "Oh no!  No way!  You can't be both!  You are one or the other!" So, I instantly said:  "If you listened, I told you I always root for the Bengals #1, and the Browns are a distant 2nd....I just root for everything Ohio".

This only angered him more, and as the year wore on, any time he would see me he would chide me about my lack of hatred for the Browns.  He ended up flunking out (not a big surprise) at the mid-year point, but other guys that were Browns fans were constantly hating on the Bengals.  I wore a Bengals hat (backwards, and I had a LOT of hair back then) and they loved to take shots at Boomer, the Ickey Shuffle, etc.   

The Bengals went on to go to the Super Bowl that year, and this is when I really started disliking the Browns.  The Browns fans in the dorm were rooting heavily for the 49ers, and would pound on our door when they scored, or something favorable happened for them.  When the Bengals lost in the final seconds, they erupted and acted as though they had been 49er fans their entire lives.  That made me hate the Browns.  The next year, all I wanted was to beat the Browns twice.  

Fast forward about twenty years and I am go to a local sports bar to cool off after an argument with my wife.  I was pretty upset, and just needed to get away for a few hours.  I have a Bengals T-shirt on (of course) and I walk in to the bar and find an absolute explosion of steeler fans all over the bar.  There are steeler jerseys at every seat in the bar, except the one closest to the entrance.  I almost walk out, but someone sees my jersey and yells "We Dey!".  I paused, then took the seat at the end of the bar.  My blood was already boiling and I started thinking I could probably bait one of these assbags in to taking a swing at me and then beating the crap out of him.  

I realize it is a Thursday night game, Browns vs. steelers.  The Browns were a gawd-awful team. They had Brady Quinn at QB and had maybe won three games that season.  

So, a little background, I always though Pig Ben looked like he had a vagina for a face so whenever I would see his ugly mug, I would yell "VAAAAA-GINA!"  The game is starting and they show his face on the sideline, so naturally, I yell "VAAAA-GINA!".  The steeler fan to my left turns to me and says "You callin' Big Ben a *****?".  I said, "Oh, no.  I just think his face LOOKS like a vagina...big difference".  Clearly puzzled by my answer, he dives back in to his nachos.

Then, he makes a poor throw early in the game that is incomplete and they have to punt.  I start in again:  "That a boy, vagiburger!....VAAAAA-GINA!"

I will state at this point that I am neither proud of my actions nor do I think there is something clever about how I yell vagina, but the bar had no kids in it and they had started in on me so I was in full-on asshole mode at this point.  

Some of the steeler fans would say things about Carson Palmer, Mike Brown, or whatever and some made points to tell me to STFU, but I persisted.  VAAAAA-GINA!   Every time he would make a bad play of anything.  The Browns were doing next to nothing on offense, which would lead to celebratory cheers such as "here we go, steelers, here we go!" and I would retort with "around the bowl and down the hole, here you go steelers!".  

Some of the steeler fans were getting really pissed at this point because the Browns were actually shutting down the steelers and I was a lone person cheering whenever they would sack Piggy.  A few went as far to come stand behind me and tell me I had better STFU or leave.  I would either ignore them or say something like my favorite Joe Dirt line:  "Go outside and practice falling down a few times, and I will be there in a few minutes".  They were getting so pissed, which was only accentuated by the fact that the Browns were actually in this game and then took the lead!

As loud as they were when they were ahead, I was louder when the Browns took the lead.  I started calling Piggy Pig Ben and would say things like "Here Piggy, Piggy" and the Browns would sack him and I would laugh hysterically.  I was really enjoying myself at this point.  No, I wasn't drunk.  I had two beers the entire game.  

The game starts to wind down and a few disgruntled steeler fans head to the door.  I antagonize with:  "What?  Where are you going?  There is still time left!  Bwahahahahaha!"  A few shouted back FUs from the door, or gave me the gesture that their team was still "number one".  I would just laugh.  

One by one, each turd at the bar walked by me as they sulked off in defeat.   I did my best to annoy the piss out of them further, but none were biting.  I was completely ready to fight, but that was even wearing off because I was having so much fun.

That night, I became a Browns fan again.  They are miles behind the Bengals, but I don't put any team ahead of Cleveland after Cincy.  I used to be a bigger Colts and Saints fan, but once they won the Super Bowl I kind of let them go.  I guess some of it is that underdog nature.  If the Browns started winning a lot and kicked the Bengal's ass, I am sure I would stop liking them.  

So, Sunset, there you have it....the details behind my odd fandom.  I hope it made you laugh, but it is 100% true.  

Great story, man.  Thanks for sharing.  I've been the lone Bengal and Buckeye fan on more than one occasion, since moving to 'Carolina 15 years ago.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 03:29 PM)eoxyod Wrote: 1. People preach just wanting a football player but when someone disagrees with them they are suddenly very bad for the team. Kaep does a load for the community outside of football and despite constant criticism has remained professional

2. When you watch film of Kaepernick he was actually pretty good last year with WRs and TEs none of you could name. He tore apart defenses like Seattle and Atlanta. He just had an awful team around him doing absolutely nothing.

3. I'm the furthest thing from an SJW, but it always tickles me to see people always ask those protesting to do it over to the side, where no change could possibly be accomplished due to it not being public. Odd how this mostly happens with black people protesting. Hmm....

4. Teams are significantly less likely to win with a backup QB if the starter gets hurt long term. What I want in that situation is a high ceiling QB. This doesn't mean the QB will develop to be great, but the QB can bring a lot to the table to increase variables that can improve play. Kaep has a good arm, slightly below average accuracy, and the ability to RUN. Since a good QB like Dalton allows the margin of error from the rest of the team to increase, Kaep's ability to be versatile does a similar thing although the general margin of error is decreased.

I am very behind trading McCarron for whatever we can get him for and signing Kaep, because then we get the added benefit of compensation

1. You're lumping everyone in a basket, but I personally have never wanted a player who seems more interested in drawing attention to himself and his own personal causes than football. He could support his cause without making it all about himself and bringing massive media scrutiny on his team. Lebron, Wade and Carmelo supported the same cause without making an ass of themselves.

2. He was okay. In the games you point to, he threw for 183 yards and led his offense to 13 points against ATL. He threw for 215 against Seattle. He averaged 203 yards in the 11 games he started and finished, which would come out to 3253 yards for a full season. That's about right for him. He was always protected by a great defense and run game, but unlike Russell Wilson (who he was compared to early on), he's incapable of carrying the load with his arm. I think he'd make a fine backup or a stopgap starter if his mind is in it.

3. Eox you're better than pulling the race card. Race has zilch to do with why people are angry with Kaep. If Andy Dalton dropped to a knee during the Anthem, I'd be ticked at him too. It's not even "just" that he disrespected the anthem. It's everything lumped together. The piggy socks, the ignorance of wearing a Castro shirt during such a protest, admitting he didn't vote, not clearly defining what he wanted to see in order to end his protest, etc.

4. If Kaep came with no luggage and was 100% okay with being a clear backup, I'd totally be with you. I just know that the media (and Kaep's attitude) will be coming with Kaep. Add that in with the attention we already get/will get for Pacman, Burfict and now Mixon and I definitely have say no thanks. It'd be a circus on par with the Tebow/Sanchez/Rex Ryan Jets. Plus I don't know if he wants to go to a team with a firmly entrenched starter. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
That story was absolutely brilliant, SHRacer X! It's the same exact thing I go through living in MD surrounded by Ravens fans.  My two teams are The Redskins and obviously The Bengals.  Even though I've never been to Cincinnati my Dad is from there and grew up an Orange and Black fan (ironically the same colours as The Orioles) like the rest of my family.  When he moved to The Nations capital he rooted for The Burgundy & Gold; which is the story of why I'm a fan.  

Over here The Ratbirds and Skins fans are huge rivals.  With most you can't be a fan of both; your with one side or the other.  In fact I've catch more flack from Balt fans while wearing my Skins gear than Ben's merchandise.  And for what it's worth my best mate, who recently got into the sport and became a DC booster for me and another pal has noted the same thing.  Whenever he wears his Colts/Broncos jerseys(his wife is from Indy and he's a huge Peyton Manning fan) he never got so much as a nasty glance, even when his team was playing them.  When he comes out in Burgundy colours he gets heat.

What did it for me, making Balti-***** public enemy number one? I was at a pub wearing a Skins jersey and as soon as I came in they start bashing me.  Washington wasn't even playing the game was Ravens vs Cowboys but they had to bash their opponents biggest rivals more.  In fact I ran into another B&G supporter who I bumped into, accidently.  He immediately becomes defensive thinking I did it on purpose because both sides were taking the piss with him all night.  When he saw what I was wearing he said "Oh thank goodness you Skins  fan, too. You're ok."  Prompting us to do the fist bump hug.  When I went outside a Ravens wanker tried to pick a fight with a girl just because she Washington fan too.  

The worst offender was this wanker who I never met, saw, or interacted with, who incessantly walk past my table lobbying insults at me.  This went on the entire night as soon as he saw me.  At first I thought he knew someone in my group but no one knew him.  Finally after the umpteenth time he harassed me I said "**** the Ravens."  He stops dead in his tracks; walks towards me, getting directly in my face.  I stand my ground not backing down one bloody centimeter ready to test out my Jiu-jitsu because it looks like it's going to get real.  He makes a lame joke and scurries of and never bothered me again.  After that I hated The Ratbirds more than any other team.
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
Just for the record, I admire both Kaep and TIm Tebow as human beings. I'd be happy to trade McC and sign either of them if I thought they'd help us get a ring. I happen to believe that Kaep would be better able to do that than Tebow, if he did happen to still be in the NFL or interested in being in the NFL.

All that said, it's a moot point. We're sticking with McCarron, and I'm fine with that.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 03:21 AM)Shady Wrote: Just for the record, I admire both Kaep and TIm Tebow as human beings. I'd be happy to trade McC and sign either of them if I thought they'd help us get a ring. I happen to believe that Kaep would be better able to do that than Tebow, if he did happen to still be in the NFL or interested in being in the NFL.

All that said, it's a moot point. We're sticking with McCarron, and I'm fine with that.

I'm good with AJ as well, but if he were traded to a team where a QB went down early (a la Bridgewater, 2016), I still wouldn't want Kaepernick.  

Although I don't condone his antics, that isn't the reason at all.  It has to do with the fact that they guy (reportedly) I seeking starting QB money.  There is no way this team can pay that for a backup QB.  I am 100% behind Dalton, so I can't imagine he would do anything here but be insurance.  

If McCarron is traded for an early draft pick, I think they would just stick with the guy they carried on the roster all season, Jeff Driscoll.  

It is rather odd how so much of the (liberal?) media is chanting about how it is colusion and so on, but they never point out that he isn't aiming to sign for a veteran minimum deal.  If Kaep were smart, he would sign a cheap one year deal to a team like the Jets where he could win the starting job, up his value, and either re-sign or get a good contract elsewhere.  Just sitting and letting the sitting during the anthem be his headline isn't helping him at all.  
Reply/Quote
Throw away the fact that Kapernick is a clueless idiot, he's just not good, he wouldn't fit our system and his team carried him to the sb. Since then he's been one of the worse qb's in the league. I'd have to think that if McCarron had an elite defense and had as many starts as Kap he'd have a far better career at this point.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 10:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I grew up and still live in Centerville, OH.  I have ALWAYS been a Bengal's Fan, #1...over all other sports and teams.  Reds, Buckeyes, UC...I root for all of them but they are miles behind the Bengals.  

Living in Columbus, I encounter a lot of Cleveland sports fans. They ask me why I don't root for the Cavaliers. I tell them it's because I was born and raised in Cincy so I root for Cincinnati teams. I also tell them that I'm not a basketball fan but if I were, the Pacers were closer than the Cavaliers, and they act like I should be all about Ohio. But then I say "Oh, do you root for any teams around Cincinnati?" and they say no. I tell them that that's not very "prohio" of you either and maybe if Cleveland fans started also rooting for Cincinnati teams, the opposite would start happening too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 09:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  Lebron, Wade and Carmelo supported the same cause without making an ass of themselves.

And none of them had said a peep about anything until Kaepernick embarrassed then into it.

It is ridiculous to say people who have something to protest about should do it in some seecret place where no one will see them.  the whole point of a protest is to draw attention to an issue.

So Kaepernick was very successful on that level.  He shamed the big stars into making public statements.

Onre of my all time favorite sports figures is Mohammed Ali.  He was a great boxer, but I respect him more for taking a stand against the Viet Nam war when it looked like it would end his career.  Back then he faced the same type of criticism as Kaepernick.  "Just shut up an entertain us!  You are not allowed to have any personal convictions."

I seriously doubt that Kaepernick protest will go down in history the same as Ali's, but the fact remains that Ke was willing to harm his own career to stand up for what he believed in.  I can not believe so many people hate him  for that.

Colin never tried to stop anyone else from standing for the anthem.  He never did anything to interrupt the anthem or interfere on anyway with what anyone else was doing.  He made it very clear that he was NOT protesting against soldiers defending the country.  He did nothing to bother anyone EXCEPT THE PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH HIS POSITION.

If he had been screaming during the anthem or blocking streets or something like that then I could understand why people would be mad at him.  But all he did was take part in a peaceful quiet protest.  Our country was founded by "protestors".  Mass public protests helped lead to womens' right to vote, the Civil rights Act, and the end of the Viet Nam warProtest is an important part of civil liberty.  We can't just make a rule that every athlete and entertainer has to give up their rights..

We can't elect a President who won because he said America was "broken" and then punish an athlete for saying the same thing.

Reply/Quote
Sad 
In regards to Kaepernick, he has shown a total disregard for respect for this country. I agree he has the right to express his feelings,whether we or the NFL likes it or not. As a Vietnam Veteran,all the man has to do is go to any VA hospital and I don't think I need to explain what he would see there. But he would definitely see the the horrors of War. That is the part that p$#@@% me off ,total disrespect for all those heroes that still respect the flag of this country. Along with giving him (K) the right to express his feelings. Thank you for my listening to my rants! Pissed
Reply/Quote
SHRacer, I am guessing that at that point in your life you probably had the invincibilty of youth on your side where you truly believed that you could have single handedly taken on the entire bar full of Squeeler fans and to be fair maybe you could have. 
I too had similar fantasies and god knows that alcohol always makes us the biggest and baddest MFers on the planet. 
As time goes on like it always does we tend to come to the realization that we're probably not going to take on 100 drunk fans of other teams and settle into the realistic idea that we're not all that and a bag of chips after all and telling the cops when they arrive that "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!" probably wasn't the most compelling argument we ever had.. lol 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 10:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 1. And none of them had said a peep about anything until Kaepernick embarrassed then into it.

2. It is ridiculous to say people who have something to protest about should do it in some seecret place where no one will see them.  the whole point of a protest is to draw attention to an issue.

So Kaepernick was very successful on that level.  He shamed the big stars into making public statements.

3. Onre of my all time favorite sports figures is Mohammed Ali.  He was a great boxer, but I respect him more for taking a stand against the Viet Nam war when it looked like it would end his career.  Back then he faced the same type of criticism as Kaepernick.  "Just shut up an entertain us!  You are not allowed to have any personal convictions."

4. I seriously doubt that Kaepernick protest will go down in history the same as Ali's, but the fact remains that Ke was willing to harm his own career to stand up for what he believed in.  I can not believe so many people hate him  for that.

Colin never tried to stop anyone else from standing for the anthem.  He never did anything to interrupt the anthem or interfere on anyway with what anyone else was doing.  He made it very clear that he was NOT protesting against soldiers defending the country. 5. He did nothing to bother anyone EXCEPT THE PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH HIS POSITION.

6. If he had been screaming during the anthem or blocking streets or something like that then I could understand why people would be mad at him.  But all he did was take part in a peaceful quiet protest.  Our country was founded by "protestors".  Mass public protests helped lead to womens' right to vote, the Civil rights Act, and the end of the Viet Nam warProtest is an important part of civil liberty.  We can't just make a rule that every athlete and entertainer has to give up their rights..

7. We can't elect a President who won because he said America was "broken" and then punish an athlete for saying the same thing.

1. False. Lebron and Carmelo spoke out BEFORE Kaepernick's protest even started. July 13th last year at the ESPY awards.

2. Straw man. No one said it had to be in a "secret place". Just said it can't shine a negative light on the team, and it can't become a detriment.

3. Muhammed Ali was just a draft dodger. https://joebrunoonboxing.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/joe-bruno-on-boxing-muhammad-ali-is-not-a-hero/

4. You've said yourself that you didn't like the Castro shirts or that he didn't make it clear what he wanted to see out of his protest. Yet now you can't believe people didn't like it. Come on now. 

5. http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/20160913_Letters__Letters__Kaepernick_s_cause_is_right__just_not_his_method_of_protest.html
Even Jim Harbaugh said he agreed with the cause, but "did not respect the method of protest".

6. You can peacefully protest without blatantly disrespecting the flag of our nation while looking arrogant and sounding ignorant. Listening to what Kaep had to say made it more than clear that he wasn't well versed on all the facts surrounding both sides of his cause. This isn't supporting kids with cancer. This is a cause where not everyone agrees on how big the problem is, or what the problem is. No pun intended, but the problem isn't as black and white as Kaep (etc) makes it seem.

7. Maybe the folks who believe the nation was broken, don't believe cops killing black folks was the reason why. Personally, I think that issue is exaggerated to death by sensationalist journalism. We live in an age where everybody knows about everything that happens nationwide. You can hear about it via the news, online or even via facebook. Out of millions of crimes involving millions of blacks, only a small handful involve questionable deaths. The media has been jumping all over these and people make judgements before all facts are even released.

Often times, it turns out that the police weren't in the wrong, but by then the damage is already done. 

IMO, if you want to make a serious impact in the black community, protesting a relatively small handful of bad cops or mistakes in the line of duty does nothing but make people angry and increase the racial tension. If you really want to make a positive difference, help out in communities. Not with programs that promote paranoia and tension with police. Start programs that will help decrease crime. Work with police. Promote a positive message. Nothing about Kaep's message was positive.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 09:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. You're lumping everyone in a basket, but I personally have never wanted a player who seems more interested in drawing attention to himself and his own personal causes than football. He could support his cause without making it all about himself and bringing massive media scrutiny on his team. Lebron, Wade and Carmelo supported the same cause without making an ass of themselves.
I'm not saying this about all, but there are quite a few people who talk like this
2. He was okay. In the games you point to, he threw for 183 yards and led his offense to 13 points against ATL. He threw for 215 against Seattle. He averaged 203 yards in the 11 games he started and finished, which would come out to 3253 yards for a full season. That's about right for him. He was always protected by a great defense and run game, but unlike Russell Wilson (who he was compared to early on), he's incapable of carrying the load with his arm. I think he'd make a fine backup or a stopgap starter if his mind is in it.
And his mind definitely does seem to be in it. If he had the production that he had like that against a good and a great defense, I don't know how you can justify not having him as your backup. Especially when his weapons here would be around 100x better
3. Eox you're better than pulling the race card. Race has zilch to do with why people are angry with Kaep. If Andy Dalton dropped to a knee during the Anthem, I'd be ticked at him too. It's not even "just" that he disrespected the anthem. It's everything lumped together. The piggy socks, the ignorance of wearing a Castro shirt during such a protest, admitting he didn't vote, not clearly defining what he wanted to see in order to end his protest, etc.
Race most definitely has a factor in it. It's not active in your face racism, it's institutionalized and subtle. That doesn't mean everyone thinks Kaep is a thug, or thinks about him being half black actively when he does this, but every time a black entertainer especially comes out with a cause, he's told to go back to entertaining or media makes it out to be as disingenuous as possible. I know you and a lot of people are going to disagree with me so I'll drop this topic but it does happen
4. If Kaep came with no luggage and was 100% okay with being a clear backup, I'd totally be with you. I just know that the media (and Kaep's attitude) will be coming with Kaep. Add that in with the attention we already get/will get for Pacman, Burfict and now Mixon and I definitely have say no thanks. It'd be a circus on par with the Tebow/Sanchez/Rex Ryan Jets. Plus I don't know if he wants to go to a team with a firmly entrenched starter. 

Honestly there's not much more of a media circus that would come than what we already have. I think overall media perception of Kaep is slightly getting better since people have been calling out that he had good film last year and he has done so much for the community. It won't add more to the fans who will hate us for dirty play, drafting a woman beater, or keeping Jones around. I really don't think it would be much of a distraction by training camp. That said, it's not going to happen so oh well. I'm basically having this argument just to argue haha
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 01:21 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Honestly there's not much more of a media circus that would come than what we already have. I think overall media perception of Kaep is slightly getting better since people have been calling out that he had good film last year and he has done so much for the community. It won't add more to the fans who will hate us for dirty play, drafting a woman beater, or keeping Jones around. I really don't think it would be much of a distraction by training camp. That said, it's not going to happen so oh well. I'm basically having this argument just to argue haha

Meh. All entertainers that speak out politically are told to "go back to entertaining" by lots of folks. That includes the Dixie Chicks bashing Bush. Or Popovich, Steve Kerr and 99% of (mostly white) Hollywood bashing whatever republican that's in office. It isn't a black and white thing. It's a people not liking being told what to think thing. So I guess we do have to disagree there. No hard feelings. 

Personally, I don't hate Kaep as a person. I just think he's misguided and ill-informed. I didn't like the protest, but I don't wish death upon him or anything silly. I don't even mind if he gets a job elsewhere. Just don't want all that with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 12:48 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm good. Kaepernick's girlfriend has had a profound affect on his mentality and I think football just isn't that dude's primary focus anymore.

Even if I were able to put aside that ridiculous protest, the piggy socks, the Castro shirts etc etc, I just don't like where his mind is at for football.

Plus I think he wants starting caliber money + an opportunity to at least fight for a job.

That's where the media has fooled people. Kap wanting starter money has NEVER EVER EVER been a problem for him. It was reported that people very close to him have said that he knows he would be going for a backup position. He has made it clear that he wants to have a chance to compete for the starting job tho and I don't believe that's something anyone can hold against him looking at his resume.

Also theres the myth that the media shoves down peoples throats that hes such a shitty QB that he doesn't deserve to be on a team. And that's just false. His career numbers are 72 TDs to 30 INT. Last year he had 16 TD and 4 INT. His team was pure trash. If you combine his seasons where he was full time starter and played every game he is 40 TD and 18 INT.

So im cool with going at a trash player and im not afraid to pick sides in a political battle, but theres ONE reason why no team wants Colin K. And its NOT because hes a bad QB.

Its because he stood up for black people/

With all that said im happy with AJM and wouldn't want any other backup.

Dude should at least be in some team's training camp. No one can convince me hes so trash that he shouldn't be at least in a camp

P.S. The fake patriotism BS that this situation has forced people to pull is probably what has made me the most angry with this situation. If you think this is patriotism based hate coming at Colin you are blind. No one can convince me the outcome is exactly the same if say a Tom Brady pulled this.
Reply/Quote