Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mccarron
Seeing a lot of articles in last 24 hours that say he's tired of being backup ready to be starter and seems like he expects to be traded.
Reply/Quote
Don't blame him, might as well get something out of him while we can before we just let him walk for nothing. Maybe Hue will give up a couple high round picks for a Cincy QB again. Common Hue, you know you want too.
Reply/Quote
I think he maybe the better qb but I hope we at least get a 2nd rounder
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 03:15 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Seeing a lot of articles in last 24 hours that say he's tired of being backup ready to be starter and seems like he expects to be traded.

How many is a lot?
Reply/Quote
If I had to guess, here is the trade I expect to see:
McCarron to Cleveland for a 2017 3rd and conditional 2018 pick

Hue has been known to sway ownership to pony up for his guy, but this is more of a default trade. They won't find a future QB via FA or trade, Kessler may be useful but not the guy to build around. They'll go into the draft with BPA in mind and unless they really like someone they may forgo youth and potential for their best option. AJ knows Hue's system, has thrown to a few of their targets and shouldn't be as expensive as some think in his final year. Cincy knows that they will still get say a comp 3rd in a year, so you take the 3rd this year and Cleveland gambles on compensation. Something like a 2018 4th if they lose him after a season and/or he doesn't start more than 5 games, a 3rd if they retain him and/or he starts 10 games, a 2nd if they keep him, he starts 10 games and passes for 3,200 and 20TD, and a 1st if they resign him and he makes the Pro Bowl. Cincy may not find a better deal, and needs to look into packaging some of the Cle picks and comp picks to move up and get more quality than a bunch of quantity. I think something like this makes sense for both teams in spite of the division and rivalry.
Reply/Quote
McCarron went 2-2 with us. 7 touchdowns and interceptions. You could also make the case that he 'won' that playoff game against Pittsburgh. Something that needs to be evaluated, and valued as well.

For me? I'd say a second round pick with a conditional pick for next year (fifth, maybe a fourth). Depends. Will this happen? Doubtful.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 03:15 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Seeing a lot of articles in last 24 hours that say he's tired of being backup ready to be starter and seems like he expects to be traded.

Brock Osweiller got 77 Million Dollars.....I'd want a shot to start too.
Reply/Quote
There is no way in hell I take less than a 2nd round pick THIS YEAR for him. He is more valuable as a back up and the price could go up during the season next year. If someone is thinking of him as a projected starter, he is worth at least a second rounder.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Why do we need a backup qb when we're obviously not going to be contenders next year? Grab any pick for him and all currently signed players. Let's make 2020 our year (minus Marv)
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 09:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There is no way in hell I take less than a 2nd round pick THIS YEAR for him.  He is more valuable as a back up and the price could go up during the season next year.  If someone is thinking of him as a projected starter, he is worth at least a second rounder.

You aren't getting a ton for a guy with one year of control left and little game tape. If we got a 3rd this year or a second next year I'd be happy. Maybe you could get a 2nd that was a conditional 1st next year with playing time, but that's about the best you could hope for.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 09:54 AM)Au165 Wrote: You aren't getting a ton for a guy with one year of control left and little game tape. If we got a 3rd this year or a second next year I'd be happy. Maybe you could get a 2nd that was a conditional 1st next year with playing time, but that's about the best you could hope for.

Disagree completely.  His contract status makes him the ideal choice.  He has to play one year on his rookie deal, which is next to nothing so the team is not risking anything against the cap, and if he busts they release him.  If he shows that he is what they think he is, he is signed long-term and that team has their QB.

I would argue this is a MUCH better situation than the one with Osweiler where the Texans were competing with the Broncos and overpaid big-time.  

EDIT:  If McCarron plays extremely well, and you are afraid that another team will offer him a ton more and you won't be able to match, that team will likely receive a compensatory 3rd round selection the following year.  Adds even more to the team that would sign him from a risk-management outlook.  It also works for the Bengals.  If he is lost a year from now and signed to a good deal, it would yield the Bengals a compensatory pick and would provide them the security of a quality back up all season.  That, again, is a part of the reasoning behind me not wanting to let him go for anything less than a second round pick.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
According to reports/rumors, Bengals were offered a 2nd and a 4th for McCarron but the Bengals declined.

They wanted a 1st and 4th, from what I can think of... This team has to be the Browns.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/1/2/14146594/aj-mccarron-open-to-potential-trade-chance-to-start-elsewhere-bengals-quarterback
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Lets think outside the box and instead of draft picks a young cost controlled player...........esp a DE, LB or CB

I do realize player for player trades are rare in the NFL but I would rather have a proven commodity than a potential bust draft pick.

With all that being said if push came to shove and the only option was a draft pick (which should be no less than a second rounder) you have to make the deal this off season.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I think youre robbing yourself if you ask for anything less than a second round pick for Mccarron.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

I think he signed a contract that includes one more season.  He is no Carson Palmer.  I think I make him honor that contract or he can just not get paid a year if he sits out.  We will not be getting first round draft picks for this guy.....I say keep him his last year and if he doesn't like it, tough.  He may be more of a Ryan Mallett back-up than a Tom Brady starter anyway.  Lets face it, given the chance last year when Dalton injured, he did not come in and play like this guy for Dallas when Romo injured. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 09:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Disagree completely.  His contract status makes him the ideal choice.  He has to play one year on his rookie deal, which is next to nothing so the team is not risking anything against the cap, and if he busts they release him.  If he shows that he is what they think he is, he is signed long-term and that team has their QB.

I would argue this is a MUCH better situation than the one with Osweiler where the Texans were competing with the Broncos and overpaid big-time.  

EDIT:  If McCarron plays extremely well, and you are afraid that another team will offer him a ton more and you won't be able to match, that team will likely receive a compensatory 3rd round selection the following year.  Adds even more to the team that would sign him from a risk-management outlook.  It also works for the Bengals.  If he is lost a year from now and signed to a good deal, it would yield the Bengals a compensatory pick and would provide them the security of a quality back up all season.  That, again, is a part of the reasoning behind me not wanting to let him go for anything less than a second round pick.  

The reason you won't get what you want is teams over value draft picks. The contract is a detriment because if you trade him to a bad team he could flat out refuse to resign. They could franchise him, but are you going to pay him 20+ for the franchise or maybe you need it for someone else? Waiting for a compensatory pick is a losing strategy, we have "played for the comp pick" in the past and it hasn't worked well as of late. Maybe after the draft evaluation process the QB class sours and you can get a 2nd this year, but who knows sometimes guys emerge in that process i.e. become over hyped.
Reply/Quote
In a perfect scenario, AJ McCarron never sees the field (at least for any meaningful snaps). This means that Dalton is healthy. This also means that AJ is not adding any value to the team. He is insurance only on this team.

His trade stock should be decently high. If you can get a player that actually makes the team on the field better, you have to do it right?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 11:15 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: In a perfect scenario, AJ McCarron never sees the field (at least for any meaningful snaps).  This means that Dalton is healthy.  This also means that AJ is not adding any value to the team.  He is insurance only on this team.

His trade stock should be decently high.  If you can get a player that actually makes the team on the field better, you have to do it right?

I think the team planned on trading him this off season, hence the reason why they signed Jeff Driskel to the roster for the entire season. Normally we would have moved our #3 QB to the PS, but they didn't want to risk losing him.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 03:46 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Don't blame him, might as well get something out of him while we can before we just let him walk for nothing. Maybe Hue will give up a couple high round picks for a Cincy QB again. Common Hue, you know you want too.

No way I'd trade him to Cleveland.  I'll be damned if I help them get better.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 09:51 AM)PacMan Fever Wrote: Why do we need a backup qb when we're obviously not going to be contenders next year? 

We are going to be contenders this year.
Reply/Quote