Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mega Tuesday
I figured we could have a thread for all the goings-on today and discuss results as they come in, any news that comes out, predictions, etc.

I'll start off with this article that was on my front page on reddit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hillary-clinton-illinois-primary-rahm-emanuel_us_56e7177ae4b0b25c9182e2bb

It talks about how Rahm Emmanuel, who is backing Clinton and has only a 27% approval rating, may actually cost Clinton her home state. Clinton has apparently been trying to distance herself, but the Sanders campaign sees blood in the water and is heading straight for it by highlighting it when they can. Even if Sanders doesn't get the nomination, this could be a huge blow to Clinton to lose this state.
Clinton is a mess. I don't see how any democrat can vote for her.
It's hard to be anti-establishment when the establishment supports you. I wonder how many disenfranchised voters are going over to Bernie because of Emmanuel. I still think the state goes for Clinton, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-15-2016, 10:24 AM)Benton Wrote: It's hard to be anti-establishment when the establishment supports you. I wonder how many disenfranchised voters are going over to Bernie because of Emmanuel. I still think the state goes for Clinton, though.

It doesn't matter how democrats vote anyway. The DNC has rigged it so super delegates decide anyway and most of them are in the bag for the establishment.

Bernie sanders has gotten the shaft.
(03-15-2016, 10:26 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It doesn't matter how democrats vote anyway.    The DNC has rigged it so super delegates decide anyway and most of them are in the bag for the establishment.    

Bernie sanders has gotten the shaft.

He probably will. But my hope is it creates a legitimate discussion about the popular vote, delegates and how our system has moved away from anyone being able to run. If at the end of this Sanders has 10% more votes, but loses by 20-25% of the delegates, that will hopefully give people something to meme about.

Fans of politics have been saying for a long time the system has big flaws, but many (most?) people don't know what a delegate is or how they're chosen.
(03-15-2016, 12:25 PM)Benton Wrote: He probably will. But my hope is it creates a legitimate discussion about the popular vote, delegates and how our system has moved away from anyone being able to run. If at the end of this Sanders has 10% more votes, but loses by 20-25% of the delegates, that will hopefully give people something to meme about.

Fans of politics have been saying for a long time the system has big flaws, but many (most?) people don't know what a delegate is or how they're chosen.

This.

We could have Trump and Sanders get the most votes in the primaries and neither of them get the nomination.
Let's go Kasich
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-15-2016, 12:25 PM)Benton Wrote: He probably will. But my hope is it creates a legitimate discussion about the popular vote, delegates and how our system has moved away from anyone being able to run. If at the end of this Sanders has 10% more votes, but loses by 20-25% of the delegates, that will hopefully give people something to meme about.

(03-15-2016, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

We could have Trump and Sanders get the most votes in the primaries and neither of them get the nomination.

Agreed. I think this year has caused a lot of people who were already frustrated with the system to learn a little something about why their frustrations are valid. People don't pay much attention to the ins and outs of this race, but there is so much discussion about caucuses v. primaries, superdelegates, apportionment v. winner-take-all, etc., that people are learning a lot about how it all works and they aren't very happy about it. With both sides having a race that is very divisive it brings everybody into that fold.
Speaking of bad endorsements, who thought it was a good idea to have Romney make robocalls for Kasich in Ohio and Rubio in Florida? And Boehner also endorsed Kasich, and that's probably worse for him than Emanual supporting Clinton.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
I wanted to vote today but it's a closed primary. I guess that's what I get for registering as an independent. Mellow

I don't see how having a closed primary promotes a healthy democracy.
(03-15-2016, 01:04 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I wanted to vote today but it's a closed primary. I guess that's what I get for registering as an independent.  Mellow

I don't see how having a closed primary promotes a healthy democracy.

Same here.  I'm a registered Libertarian so I don't get to have a voice in any of this stuff.  So be it, I hain't selling out yet.
Voted Cruz
I mean, it's a primary for those specific parties. If you want to participate in their process, join their party.

(03-15-2016, 02:51 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I mean, it's a primary for those specific parties. If you want to participate in their process, join their party.

That's why I'm registered Democrat here.  Virtually no Republicans run...if they do they are unopposed.  And more often than not the candidate is cross registered and is on both the D and R ticket.

The ACTUAL election is the primary when they weed out the also rans.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-15-2016, 02:51 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I mean, it's a primary for those specific parties. If you want to participate in their process, join their party.

Many Dems in my area are using the ability to change parties at the primary,  just to help Trump's opponents.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3513.19

Why do you have to commit to a party to vote when you're open to all options? It punishes those who are willing to look at all opinions and rewards those who are blindly committed to a group. Just because a party doesn't own my vote to a certain degree my opinion doesn't count? I should be able to vote in any primary but only one time. Especially since being a Dem or a Rep seems to be the only outlet for a candidate to get heard from.

I think it's crazy people so many people are committed to a party in the first place. It turns it into a sports team for some people and as a result that's how they approach politics. People are too busy flinging poo back and forth trying to convince the other side their team is better instead of looking at issues fair and balanced. It divides people and clouds their judgement.
Mega Tuesday Delegate Watch:

Democrat
1,235 Clinton
580 Sanders

Republican
469 Trump
370 Cruz
163 Rubio
63 Kasich

Today's State Delegates
Illinois 156 D - 69 R
Florida 214 D - 99 R
Missouri 71 D - 52 R
North Carolina 107 D - 72 R
Ohio 143 D - 66 R

http://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/delegate-count-tracker
(03-15-2016, 03:13 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Why do you have to commit to a party to vote when you're open to all options? It punishes those who are willing to look at all opinions and rewards those who are blindly committed to a group. Just because a party doesn't own my vote to a certain degree my opinion doesn't count? I should be able to vote in any primary but only one time. Especially since being a Dem or a Rep seems to be the only outlet for a candidate to get heard from.

I think it's crazy people so many people are committed to a party in the first place. It turns it into a sports team for some people and as a result that's how they approach politics. People are too busy flinging poo back and forth trying to convince the other side their team is better instead of looking at issues fair and balanced. It divides people and clouds their judgement.

Because it's their primary? If they want to hear the opinion of someone not in their party, they'll host an open primary. 

Is the two party system good? Not really, but it's their primary. If you form your own club, you can decide who votes for your officers. 

(03-15-2016, 03:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mega Tuesday Delegate Watch:

Democrat
1,235 Clinton
580 Sanders

Republican
469 Trump
370 Cruz
163 Rubio
63 Kasich

Today's State Delegates
Illinois 156 D - 69 R
Florida 214 D - 99 R
Missouri 71 D - 52 R
North Carolina 107 D - 72 R
Ohio 143 D - 66 R

http://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/delegate-count-tracker

Of those, for the GOP, Florida and Ohio are winner-take-all. NC is proportional, and Illinois and Missouri have some sort of hybrid system I don't know much about.
(03-15-2016, 03:53 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Because it's their primary? If they want to hear the opinion of someone not in their party, they'll host an open primary. 

Is the two party system good? Not really, but it's their primary. If you form your own club, you can decide who votes for your officers. 

This.

I don't like our two-party system, but I understand why they have closed primaries.