Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merry Mockmas
(01-07-2018, 04:54 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Kinda explains why you're a scout working three regular jobs.

No if he retired today, he'd be a hofer. Bc of his coverage skills. Name a safety playing right now u can say that about. Go ahead I'll wait.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 08:42 AM)Jpoore Wrote: No if he retired today, he'd be a hofer. Bc of his coverage skills. Name a safety playing right now u can say that about. Go ahead I'll wait.

From a quick Google search there are 11 players in the HOF who played seven seasons or less. So while it is possible Kuechly is a HOFer if he retired today, but not probable.

But, let's assume your unlikely premise is true. The fact you had to go with a future HOFer proves my point; in general safeties are better in coverage than linebackers.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 04:02 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: From a quick Google search there are 11 players in the HOF who played seven seasons or less. So while it is possible Kuechly is a HOFer if he retired today, but not probable.

But, let's assume your unlikely premise is true. The fact you had to go with a future HOFer proves my point; in general safeties are better in coverage than linebackers.
In general bc most teams don't have 3 good coverage lbs.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 06:48 AM)Jpoore Wrote: In general bc most teams don't have 3 good coverage lbs.

Part of that is because of the size of LBs vs safeties. It helps to have more size on you to stuff the run, and LBs stuff the run more than safeties. Meanwhile, safeties are in coverage a lot more than LBs. And when LBs are in coverage, they hardy ever cover a WR. It's typically a RB or TE, which are most often slower than WRs.

With that said, teams like Arizona and LA have taken former college safeties Buchannon and Barron respectively and made them LBs and it's worked out. They have more experience in coverage compared to traditional LBs and have just enough size to hold up as LBs in the NFL.
FWIW, Shawn Williams is just 1 inch and lb less than Buchannon and I always thought his skill set fit well to be at least a nickel LB. Perhaps new DC Teryl Austin will utilize him in such a way, especially if they can't/don't get better coverage play from their LBs or in FA/draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 01:30 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: In general, which position group is better in coverage: safeties or linebackers? Safeties. And that's why most teams use a nickel package vs. three WR sets instead of what you suggested.

(01-09-2018, 06:48 AM)Jpoore Wrote: In general bc most teams don't have 3 good coverage lbs.

So in general, like I asked, you already know safeties are better than linebackers in pass coverage which is why most teams utilize the nickel rather than what you suggested.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 08:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So in general, like I asked, you already know safeties are better than linebackers in pass coverage which is why most teams utilize the nickel rather than what you suggested.

He has a bad habit of trying to make himself look better than others on here.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 08:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So in general, like I asked, you already know safeties are better than linebackers in pass coverage which is why most teams utilize the nickel rather than what you suggested.
But if u have 3 good coverage lbs u don't need to put ur team at a disadvantage like that. If u have 3 good coverage lbs, then u can play the run and pass equally
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 07:46 AM)Jpoore Wrote: But if u have 3 good coverage lbs u don't need to put ur team at a disadvantage like that. If u have 3 good coverage lbs, then u can play the run and pass equally

You're suggesting using a SAM to cover a TE in pass coverage in a passing situation against a 3 WR set. That is the disadvantage compared to using a safety in a nickel to do the same thing in the same situation.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 12:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You're suggesting using a SAM to cover a TE in pass coverage in a passing situation against a 3 WR set. That is the disadvantage compared to using a safety in a nickel to do the same thing in the same situation.

No bc if u have good coverage lbs ur not giving up 50-60 pounds on a team like u are with most safety's. Most lbs are 6"3-6"4 245 or so. Most safety's are 6"0-6"1 and about 210. Most tes are about 6"6 and 255-270
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 02:21 PM)Jpoore Wrote: No bc if u have good coverage lbs ur not giving up 50-60 pounds on a team like u are with most safety's. Most lbs are 6"3-6"4 245 or so. Most safety's are 6"0-6"1 and about 210. Most tes are about 6"6 and 255-270

Maybe the Bengals should stop drafting safeties and just draft LBers so they don't put themselves at a disadvantage?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 08:28 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Maybe the Bengals should stop drafting safeties and just draft LBers so they don't put themselves at a disadvantage?

I didn't say that. Safety's are important. My rd1 target is Derwin James bc he can play lb and Safety. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 05:42 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I didn't say that. Safety's are important. My rd1 target is Derwin James bc he can play lb and Safety. 

Why are safeties important?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 02:21 PM)Jpoore Wrote: No bc if u have good coverage lbs ur not giving up 50-60 pounds on a team like u are with most safety's. Most lbs are 6"3-6"4 245 or so. Most safety's are 6"0-6"1 and about 210. Most tes are about 6"6 and 255-270

(01-11-2018, 05:42 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I didn't say that. Safety's are important. My rd1 target is Derwin James bc he can play lb and Safety. 

So wait, you're in favor of a LB covering a TE because most LBs are near the size of TEs but yet you're in favor of Derwin James because he can play LB and Safety?
But Derwin James is only 211 lbs. That's 40+ lbs less than most TEs, which you are saying is too light to cover a TE.

Wouldn't the Bengals be better off putting Iloka in coverage on a TE? He's 6'4", 225 lbs.

With that said, LBs are becoming smaller nowadays because it's much more difficult to find someone at 240 lbs or bigger that can cover compared to someone who is 210-225 lbs. And with the way passing has become much more of an emphasis across the league, coverage ability is starting to take priority over sheer size to stop the run. Reuben Foster and Roquan Smith are both under 230 lbs, which would have been unheard of even 10 years ago to play ILB in the NFL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 02:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So wait, you're in favor of a LB covering a TE because most LBs are near the size of TEs but yet you're in favor of Derwin James because he can play LB and Safety?
But Derwin James is only 211 lbs. That's 40+ lbs less than most TEs, which you are saying is too light to cover a TE.

Wouldn't the Bengals be better off putting Iloka in coverage on a TE? He's 6'4", 225 lbs.

With that said, LBs are becoming smaller nowadays because it's much more difficult to find someone at 240 lbs or bigger that can cover compared to someone who is 210-225 lbs. And with the way passing has become much more of an emphasis across the league, coverage ability is starting to take priority over sheer size to stop the run. Reuben Foster and Roquan Smith are both under 230 lbs, which would have been unheard of even 10 years ago to play ILB in the NFL.
The weight that u got is wrong. I know most websites have him at 211, but he's actually 223 pounds. And that's the versatility I'm talking about. And the teams that employ a couple 225 pounds rbs would get killed by a run first team.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 05:54 PM)Jpoore Wrote: The weight that u got is wrong. I know most websites have him at 211, but he's actually 223 pounds. And that's the versatility I'm talking about. And the teams that employ a couple 225 pounds rbs would get killed by a run first team.

Why do you say the weight is wrong? Where are you getting his weight that is different from all the other sites? Prove your statements with links rather than just blurt out “facts” with no proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 11:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Why do you say the weight is wrong? Where are you getting his weight that is different from all the other sites? Prove your statements with links rather than just blurt out “facts” with no proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2729940-theres-no-comparison-for-him-fsus-derwin-james-is-the-new-prototype

It ranges. Some have him at 210-212 some at 215-218 and some at 220-225. I believe he’s in that 220-225 range based on scouting other safety’s he looks bigger. He said his normal playing weight is about 220. Weight in will determine it
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 08:29 AM)Jpoore Wrote: One at mlb the other at Sam. And no u play ur base 4-3-4 with a lb covering te (Smith) and 3 cbs covering wr with a high safety.

All this bullshit about the SAM LBer to cover the TE vs. 3 WR sets instead of a safety in a nickel package and now this gem . . .

A damn SAFETY to cover the MFing TE which most likely means the defense is in a nickel package vs a 3 WR set.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 11:43 PM)Jpoore Wrote: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2729940-theres-no-comparison-for-him-fsus-derwin-james-is-the-new-prototype

It ranges. Some have him at 210-212 some at 215-218 and some at 220-225. I believe he’s in that 220-225 range based on scouting other safety’s he looks bigger. He said his normal playing weight is about 220. Weight in will determine it

Actually, you claimed he was 223. Specifically. Based upon looking at him.  Where did you get your eyeballs calibrated?

Weigh in will determine it?  Well, no shit, Sherlock.  

Kinda like how you claimed Mike Williams ran 4.4s until the 40 at the Combine determined he didn't.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 11:43 PM)Jpoore Wrote: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2729940-theres-no-comparison-for-him-fsus-derwin-james-is-the-new-prototype

Thank you for providing your source.
Unfortunately, I put more stock into ESPN, NFL, CBS, even Walter Football over Bleacher Report when it comes to the draft, and practically all those list Derwin James at 211.
That weight is likely at the time of weigh in from the Summer though and a new weight hasn't been updated yet.
And sadly James is not in the Senior Bowl (since he's not a senior) and also not in the East-West Shrine Game either, so we won't know his updated weight until the Combine.

And my statement still stands re: Iloka. He's still 6'4" 225 lbs, so why not have him cover a TE instead?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 10:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Thank you for providing your source.
Unfortunately, I put more stock into ESPN, NFL, CBS, even Walter Football over Bleacher Report when it comes to the draft, and practically all those list Derwin James at 211.
That weight is likely at the time of weigh in from the Summer though and a new weight hasn't been updated yet.
And sadly James is not in the Senior Bowl (since he's not a senior) and also not in the East-West Shrine Game either, so we won't know his updated weight until the Combine.

And my statement still stands re: Iloka. He's still 6'4" 225 lbs, so why not have him cover a TE instead?
BC he didn't have great cover skills like James does. We've had him cover tes before and he didn't do great. And announcers in every game. Have said he's 223 as well. But I'm basing it off of my own eyes more than anything else. He just looks heavier than the 221 pound safeties. And yes those other sources are more reliable like u said, but in talking about the exact quote from James that said 218. But either way we'll have to wait till combine.
Reply/Quote