Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Johnson
I dont understand why he's on the team

He is:

1 - Not good
2 - Expensive
3 - really Not good

He has 16 Sacks....In the last 4 years. Totaling 60 Starts!

He basically averages a Sack every 4 games.

Over those 4 years, he's made 27 million from the Bengals and Bucs

1.7 MIll/sack. Dang
Reply/Quote
Well, historically, he's always been good versus the run, and at least gives pressures when he can't get sacks. I noticed a stark decline in both facets of his game, last season. Not sure what his "dead money" would be, but you almost have to consider cutting him this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, historically, he's always been good versus the run, and at least gives pressures when he can't get sacks.  I noticed a stark decline in both facets of his game, last season.  Not sure what his "dead money" would be, but you almost have to consider cutting him this year.

2.2 dead if cut in  17

1.1 dead in 18
Reply/Quote
A few years ago he was a valuable player. Knocked passes down at the LOS a lot.

He hasn't really been the same since leaving for Tampa IMO.

I think this team is too loyal to cut him, but if he has any sort of injury I think his spot could be in jeopardy.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 07:52 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: 2.2 dead if cut in  17

1.1 dead in 18

Might want to re-look at that.  I chose the option of cutting past June 1, and dead money dropped significantly, with a cap savings of 4M.

https://overthecap.com/player/michael-johnson/938/

I'm just saying that 4M would go a long way toward extending both Eifert and Burfict, as well as leaving room to pick up an emergency acquisition on the OL, if needed..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 07:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Might want to re-look at that.  I chose the option of cutting past June 1, and dead money dropped significantly, with a cap savings of 4M.

I'm just saying that 4M would go a long way toward extending both Eifert and Burfict, as well as leaving room to pick up an emergency acquisition on the OL, if needed..

Nice.  Yeah.  I just cant comprehend letting your all pro LT walk and keeping a stiff like this around for 5 million 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 08:02 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Nice.  Yeah.  I just cant comprehend letting your all pro LT walk and keeping a stiff like this around for 5 million 

Well, you have to go back in time, and look at the situation.  When Johnson walked to TB, Gilberry looked like he could handle the load.  However, too many years of coming off the bench, Gilberry's metabolism couldn't keep him strong the entire game.  When MJ was released by TB, everyone was like "Yeah!  He was awesome in the Bengals system!!".  Looking back in retrospect, I'm sure glad that Dunlap accepted his offer before MJ.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Jordan Willis looks good. Send Johnson out the door. Problem solved.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 07:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Might want to re-look at that.  I chose the option of cutting past June 1, and dead money dropped significantly, with a cap savings of 4M.

He is and always has been a good stopping DE, but he is being paid like  8 to 10 sack DE so there lies the issue. I think he better pick up his game quickly. I don't know his injury, but the day I was at camp he spent 2 hours on the rehab field. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Hes been a non factor since he left to Tampa Bay. How can someone be so unproductive with Atkins and Dunlap getting so much attention. I would have cut him yesterday. Hes soft and just not very good at football. I was a hater on Maualuaga , peko n MJ. Need one more for trifecta
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 08:35 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Hes been a non factor since he left to Tampa Bay.  How can someone be so unproductive with Atkins and Dunlap getting so much attention.  I would have cut him yesterday.  Hes soft and just not very good at football.  I was a hater on Maualuaga , peko n MJ.   Need one more for trifecta

See the problem is you'll hear people say stuff like "you can't have an all-pro at every position".

Yeah, I get that(and most everyone as well)...  but do they have to be a frickin' disappointment at their position?

Especially when surrounded by said "all-pro" or dominant type players.

If they do under-perform, why not criticize them for it or want the team to attempt a logical upgrade?

Yet still I sometimes saw people championing for these guys. Hmm
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 08:55 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: See the problem is you'll hear people say stuff like "you can't have an all-pro at every position".

Yeah, I get that(and most everyone as well)...  but do they have to be a frickin' disappointment at their position?

Especially when surrounded by said "all-pro" or dominant type players.

If they do under-perform, why not criticize them for it or want the team to attempt a logical upgrade?

Yet still I sometimes saw people championing for these guys. Hmm

People have conformed to the Bengals way of "Familiarity is more important than being good" 
It's why Sims, Johnson and Gilberry all look terrible and yet you know they are probably safe. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 08:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He is and always has been a good stopping DE, but he is being paid like  8 to 10 sack DE so there lies the issue. I think he better pick up his game quickly. I don't know his injury, but the day I was at camp he spent 2 hours on the rehab field. 

19. Cincinnati Bengals

Top overall grade: LB Vontaze Burfict, 87.6
Lowest overall grade: DE Michael Johnson, 41.1
The talent disparity along the Bengals’ defensive line is quite amazing. Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap are both top-15 players at their respective positions, but the line didn’t feature a single other player with a competent grade in 2016. Michael Johnson, Domata Peko, Pat Sims, and Will Clarke all saw more than 350 snaps, with none of them grading higher than 46.6.

This is the final grade from last season.  You sure you still want to consider MJ a good run stopping DE?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Isnt Lawson lining up at DE too?

Willis, Lawson, Dunlap, Clarke - All Better than Mj IMO
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 09:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 19. Cincinnati Bengals

Top overall grade: LB Vontaze Burfict, 87.6
Lowest overall grade: DE Michael Johnson, 41.1
The talent disparity along the Bengals’ defensive line is quite amazing. Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap are both top-15 players at their respective positions, but the line didn’t feature a single other player with a competent grade in 2016. Michael Johnson, Domata Peko, Pat Sims, and Will Clarke all saw more than 350 snaps, with none of them grading higher than 46.6.

This is the final grade from last season.  You sure you still want to consider MJ a good run stopping DE?

He's just not that good anymore.  Aside from 2012, he's never been a great pass rusher.  He's not that good against the run anymore, and he doesn't bat down as many passes as he used to.  He might do better in a rotational role off the bench,but he's being paid too much for that.  If Chris Smith continues to flash, I would personally cut bait.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 08:19 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Jordan Willis looks good. Send Johnson out the door. Problem solved.

x2...but who knows if the Bengals will actually use the money saved. 

Btw, me and zerker were calling that 11.5 sack season a fluke and got roasted over it back in the day. How many sacks has he had since then? Somebody said 1 sack every 4 games?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 09:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: x2...but who knows if the Bengals will actually use the money saved. 

Btw, me and zerker were calling that 11.5 sack season a fluke and got roasted over it back in the day. How many sacks has he had since then? Somebody said 1 sack every 4 games?

Welp. lol.

Clarke should be jettisoned too.

Saw more from Lawson/Willis in one game than Clarke's entire time here. 
Reply/Quote
He has had one good season. His contract year. The reason people say he is good at stopping the run is because they can't say he is good at rushing the passer.
Reply/Quote
MJ did not impress me vs Tampa. I'll wait to see how he does as the starters are left in longer. The DE-OT battle is something that develops over the course of a game and Johnson may just take a few series to get going. That's just the optimistic perspective.
Reply/Quote
I like Mike but yeah, what everybody else said. That first attempted pass rush where he got tossed to the ground set a bad tone and it got no better from there.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote