Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Lombardi's Take on Zac Taylor (Homers Beware)
What Lombardi fails to recognize, is that with each of those experiences, a person can use it to get better.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: What Lombardi fails to recognize, is that with each of those experiences, a person can use it to get better.

Are we still talking about my failed marriages?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Are we still talking about my failed marriages?

Hey...Pittsburgh is a tough place to find quality women for marriage.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 02:26 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: No one knows with certainty how Taylor will perform as a Head Coach of an NFL team.  The most pundits can do is extrapolate from prior performance in related but in less influential roles.  Taylor was the OC at a UC but did not have control over many factors that could influence the results i.e., player personnel, and more importantly a limited time to develop players and relationships with players.  The head coach at the time seemed to be detached from the program the last year according to UC fans.  

Taylor did not have a long stunt with the Dolphins and again, Lazor was involved.  He worked as a QB coach for LAR and learned from an innovative head coach and took part in the development of a highly talented albeit young QB.  

Taylor has more control over personnel decisions and more control over the outcome.  He may succeed or he may fail. No one knows.

But this is known; Marvin Lewis did a wonderful job elevating the culture of an NFL laughing stock franchise to many playoffs appearance.  Lewis did what he could over 16 years working with an owner that is stubborn, traditional, and infamous for how the franchise was perceived as a bottom feeder.  Lewis was done.  A change was needed.  

The Front Office of the Bengals took a gamble and allowed a new and bright minded coach in Taylor take control and change the culture of the coaching personnel and eventually will get players to fit what he believes is the "new" blue-print of a high powered, innovative NFL team.  It is shocking of all the changes the front office made this off season.  The fact is the Cincinnati Bengals have changed the face of the franchise with who they believe will raise the bar of team performance to the level of the LAR, KC, or NOS.

Sure, the Bengals could have hired an experienced, traditional coach.  But the rules this day and age have changed the way the NFL is played.  Taylor and Bieniemy are considered coaches on the cutting edge.  It is a risk and the change may take time but kudos to the front office for taking that risk.  

Taylor has yet coached and pundits and some fans are already predicting doom.  I know this, I am excited.  I know some players are hopeful and excited for change.  I could care less what the pundits think.  If you are a true fan of the Bengals, give Taylor time to change things and get the right players.  Trust the process.  

If things don't work out, the Bengals could always hire someone else.  But the Bengals future could be bright; no one really knows at this point which leaves room for hope for most fans, and room for doubt by haters.
I've been preaching this for awhile now. I'm excited to see these guys in action again. Funny how people act like we went down to Mike's Brake Shop and asked Zac Taylor if he wanted to be the Head Coach of the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I think I would be hard pressed to find ANYONE on this board that thought Marvin should be brought back. I heard lots of talk here and among people I talk to they were done with the bengals if he came.

No one knows how Taylor will work out. Could be great, could flop or be average. We got what we wanted, something different. Got the love of everything holy can we let it play out before we freak out?

My only hope is we don’t hang on to him for 16 years if he doesn’t produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:37 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I think I would be hard pressed to find ANYONE on this board that thought Marvin should be brought back.  I heard lots of talk here and among people I talk to they were done with the bengals if he came.

No one knows how Taylor will work out.  Could be great, could flop or be average.  We got what we wanted, something different.  Got the love of everything holy can we let it play out before we freak out?

That's not how it's done in today's world.  These days, you get your freaking out done ahead of time.  And if it turns out you were wrong, no problem, nobody cares about ten minutes ago.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:45 PM)McC Wrote: That's not how it's done in today's world.  These days, you get your freaking out done ahead of time.  And if it turns out you were wrong, no problem, nobody cares about ten minutes ago.

LOL it’s bad that your right.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:37 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I think I would be hard pressed to find ANYONE on this board that thought Marvin should be brought back.  I heard lots of talk here and among people I talk to they were done with the bengals if he came.

No one knows how Taylor will work out.  Could be great, could flop or be average.  We got what we wanted, something different.  Got the love of everything holy can we let it play out before we freak out?

Lazor had middling offenses with the Dolphins. People got excited when we brought him back as the OC. Middling offense here.

Austin had a statistically poor defense in Detroit but they produced turnovers some year. People got excited that Guenther was gone. Historically bad defense here.

With coaches there is a past track record that can show somewhat how the future will go.

That said, I do want the Bengals to win. It's just, at some point we should add an experienced coach that knows how to win somewhere on the staff.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I've been preaching this for awhile now. I'm excited to see these guys in action again. Funny how people act like we went down to Mike's Brake Shop and asked Zac Taylor if he wanted to be the Head Coach of the Bengals.

The problem I am having is the assumption that potential candidates are rejecting the Bengals and Taylor.  Fans do not know this for a fact and it could be about the right fit.  Taylor apparently has a profile in mind for coaching candidates.  Unless he worked with them at Texas A & M or somewhere, he has to interview and meet the candidate.  

In Taylor's mind, the potential candidate just may not fit.

Another issue I am having it that some do not know how much college coaches make these days.  That DC from Florida makes almost 2 mil.  I don't think DC at the NFL get paid that well but I am not sure.  Plus, players are younger and more pliable at the college level.  Some coaches like Saben and other do better with that level of athlete.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I’m so tired of hearing about the coaching staff. Bengals made nearly a clean sweep. They brought in young coaches that are bringing a breath of fresh ideas with them. They’ve all experienced success in their careers. That is the absolute best thing that could have happened to this team after the stale, old ML teams.

As far as the DC search has been going, I’m so PO’d about the Bengals being played by some of their personnel interviews. Don’t come here for an interview if all you want is a crow bar to pry more money from your current position. Don’t comment about how you turned the Bengals down, as the rungs of that ladder hurt hard on your way back down, It’s a job that only has 32 slots. This is one of them. Treat the position and the team with respect.

The person who ends up being hired as the DC will be handed the keys to the kingdom if successful.

Everybody else? We’ll see you somewhere, somehow down the road and remember how you treated the Bengals when you had the chance to be a part of it.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 03:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Lazor had middling offenses with the Dolphins. People got excited when we brought him back as the OC. Middling offense here.

Austin had a statistically poor defense in Detroit but they produced turnovers some year. People got excited that Guenther was gone. Historically bad defense here.

With coaches there is a past track record that can show somewhat how the future will go.

That said, I do want the Bengals to win. It's just, at some point we should add an experienced coach that knows how to win somewhere on the staff.

I remember there were concerns regarding Austin.   I think at the time that most fans just wanted change.  Any change.  16 years of the same was driving people nuts.  Hell, when the Bengals finally let PA and Bodine go, most fans became excited into a frenzy.    It is the Mike Brown factor that had to change and I think the new brain-trust of the Front Office has change.  

-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Taylor may turn out to be the best head coach the Bengals have ever had, or he may be so terrible that he makes Dave Shula look semi-competent in comparison. But, don't we at least have to wait until he actually puts a product on the field and they play a few games before we decide?  Nervous
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:10 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Taylor may turn out to be the best head coach the Bengals have ever had, or he may be so terrible that he makes Dave Shula look semi-competent in comparison. But, don't we at least have to wait until he actually puts a product on the field and they play a few games before we decide?  Nervous

Well, evidently the pundits, including Lance McCallister, are already predicting doom.   Freakout
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:37 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Not taking a stance here....but maybe whoever this guy is could just do a simple Google search next time before he spouts out a half truth. Wasn't he only OC like 5 games with the Dolphins? Yep, that was Bill Lazors squad. 

I mean at least be right when you hammer someone. Jesus, that's common knowledge. Talk about shit shock journalism. 

(02-16-2019, 01:41 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: "Call me skeptical, but when a guy doesn't even have his facts straight, I put little stock in that guy's opinion." Mellow

Spot on Wyche, precisely how i feel. Too much common sense in your posts brother.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 03:58 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I’m so tired of hearing about the coaching staff. Bengals made nearly a clean sweep. They brought in young coaches that are bringing a breath of fresh ideas with them. They’ve all experienced success in their careers. That is the absolute best thing that could have happened to this team after the stale, old ML teams.

As far as the DC search has been going, I’m so PO’d about the Bengals being played by some of their personnel interviews. Don’t come here for an interview if all you want is a crow bar to pry more money from your current position. Don’t comment about how you turned the Bengals down, as the rungs of that ladder hurt hard on your way back down, It’s a job that only has 32 slots. This is one of them. Treat the position and the team with respect.

The person who ends up being hired as the DC will be handed the keys to the kingdom if successful.

Everybody else? We’ll see you somewhere, somehow down the road and remember how you treated the Bengals when you had the chance to be a part of it.

Damn rights, great post man.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Well, evidently the pundits, including Lance McCallister, are already predicting doom.   Freakout

.....and pundits that don't even bother to research their topic enough to get a simple fact straight....like the dumbass quoted in this thread. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 10:22 AM)Pederson?  Proves what an expert he is.Wyche Wrote: .....and pundits that don't even bother to research their topic enough to get a simple fact straight....like the dumbass quoted in this thread. Mellow

Did you see what he said about Doug Pederson?  Proves what an expert he is about HC's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 11:00 AM)McC Wrote: Did you see what he said about Doug Pederson?  Proves what an expert he is about HC's.

LMAO.....yeah, I caught that enlightening nugget. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I see a lot of people digging themselves into one side or the other. Not sure why that's such a big thing these days. I liked the Taylor hire and still do. That said, I'm still able to be objective about things. Even though I like Taylor, I realize that his resume is skimpy at best, and pretty ugly outside of LA. Nepotism fast tracked him to the NFL. This doesn't mean he can't be a great HC - he very well could be - but as Nate said, these are red flags.

The DC search is a mess. Taylor should've had a short list coming in, so we should've had our guy quickly. Brian Flores (hired at the same time) finished his staff 10 days ago.

Can Taylor still be a success? Of course! Can we still find a solid DC? Yep. But I fully understand the grumblings right now. We have a very young, very green HC and his first impression is we're struggling to fill a very important coaching spot. It is what it is. The seasons not over and Taylor's not a failure, but if he does fail, this can and will be something we look back at.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 01:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I see a lot of people digging themselves into one side or the other. Not sure why that's such a big thing these days. I liked the Taylor hire and still do. That said, I'm still able to be objective about things. Even though I like Taylor, I realize that his resume is skimpy at best, and pretty ugly outside of LA. Nepotism fast tracked him to the NFL. This doesn't mean he can't be a great HC - he very well could be - but as Nate said, these are red flags.

The DC search is a mess. Taylor should've had a short list coming in, so we should've had our guy quickly. Brian Flores (hired at the same time) finished his staff 10 days ago.

Can Taylor still be a success? Of course! Can we still find a solid DC? Yep. But I fully understand the grumblings right now. We have a very young, very green HC and his first impression is we're struggling to fill a very important coaching spot. It is what it is. The seasons not over and Taylor's not a failure, but if he does fail, this can and will be something we look back at.

Well said. I feel like my thoughts are pretty close to yours. Definitely some red flags.

An additional thought is that maybe management is really a mess too. Maybe Marvin kind of stabilized them and now that he's gone, they're scrambling too.
Reply/Quote