Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock!
(03-05-2023, 12:45 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think Hurst is gone, he is not worth what others are going to offer it is feeling like CJ from last year.

We will see, he is 30 plus, coming off injury, loves it here and it turned around his life and the team wants him back...
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2023, 08:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: 4.74 40…… 11th among TEs…….

THANK GOD!

Let’s hope he has a bad second run too!

40 times not that impactful anymore especially tight ends it is not ,  besides Kelsce run a 4 6, Kyle Rudolph was like a 4.8 I believe .  Eifert was a 4.68
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2023, 12:48 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see, he is 30 plus, coming off injury, loves it here and it turned around his life and the team wants him back...

CJ loved it here too and Bengals wanted him back but $$ talks and Hurst knows this is probably his last chance at a decent payday  that we can't afford. 
Reply/Quote
Dallas Goedert mentioned 10 yard splits for TE because they mostly run 5 to 10 yard routes. 

For Comparison DJ Turner with a 4.26 40 yard Dash ran a 1.47 10 yard split, Zay Flowers ran a 4.42 and a 1.53 10 yard split, and Travis Kelce's Pro Day info lists a 1.61 10 yard split.

Luke Musgrave 1.54
Michael Mayer 1.66
Darnell Washington 1.57
Tucker Kraft 1.59
Sam LaPorta 1.59
Brenton Strange 1.57
Payne Durham 1.61
Josh Whyle 1.61
Will Malory 1.59
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2023, 12:48 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see, he is 30 plus, coming off injury, loves it here and it turned around his life and the team wants him back...

While he is 30 what most forget is that compared to some other TEs he was lightly used because of who was in front of him at his other stops. There is a lot of tread left on the tires of Hurst.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2023, 12:28 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks OSUfan, as you and I always have a blast come Draft time. So far from what I have been watching of the RT's, Darnell Wright 
is by far the best RT that fits our Gap scheme that I have seen. I can understand going BPA but we don't know our FA right now. If we
are fine with Jackson Carman at RT like Pollack hinted we might be in big trouble. I think Wright is the best plug and play RT in the draft.

All depends on FA as usual, I don't expect big moves like grabbing McGlinchey for RT or anything. This is our biggest need on the team 
with La'el Collins most likely not even going to be decent for at least half our 2023 season...

Need to check out your boy Kraft.  Smirk

Why would we be in big trouble if Pollack is alright with Carman at RT? I think many are judging him off of his snaps inside at OG. Playing inside is a completely different animal than playing outside and just because you can play OT does not mean you can play OG. I thought his snaps at LT showed far more of the player that was expected to be seen when he was drafted. I also would not read too much into anything that coaches put into the media. They are not going to come out and tell the media that they think a player sucks and that they have to find their replacement immediately.

There are many ways they could go just depending on how the draft falls and I want to see them take the best player sitting there.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2023, 03:50 AM)Synric Wrote: Dallas Goedert mentioned 10 yard splits for TE because they mostly run 5 to 10 yard routes. 

For Comparison DJ Turner with a 4.26 40 yard Dash ran a 1.47 10 yard split, Zay Flowers ran a 4.42 and a 1.53 10 yard split, and Travis Kelce's Pro Day info lists a 1.61 10 yard split.

Luke Musgrave 1.54
Michael Mayer 1.66
Darnell Washington 1.57
Tucker Kraft 1.59
Sam LaPorta 1.59
Brenton Strange 1.57
Payne Durham 1.61
Josh Whyle 1.61
Will Malory 1.59

Double down with Tucker and Durham? Solid plan.
Reply/Quote
Mayer didn't excel athletically at the combine but I suppose his strengths are intelligence, good hands, and route running. I wonder how the Bengals are evaluating the position? Does Mayer not exhibiting the superior athleticism at the combine cause the Bengals to lose interest?

It would be soooo interesting to be in the room when Duke and others discuss the players.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2023, 10:04 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well, I think watching these TEs do the individual drills I have shifted my favorites just a bit. Here is how I see them at this point per round and order per round:

Round 1:

1) Darnell Washington - I believe he showed that Ga. should have targeted him more. Complete TE.
2) Luke Musgrave - Several other players would have to be off the board for me to take him at 28. Feel he still needs to get stronger.
3) Michael Mayer - If we could trade down and he was available. Safe selection.

Round 2:

1) Tucker Kraft - I think he is one of the most complete TEs in the draft and will be a year 1 factor.
2) Michael Mayer - If he was still here absolutely

Round 3:

1) Tucker Kraft - if he is here I could not get the selection in fast enough
2) Josh Whyle - If corner and OT have been addressed in rounds 1 and 2.

Round 4:

1) Josh Whyle - Really good value if he is available here
2) Luke Schoonmaker

Round 5:

1) Cameron Latu - I really would have liked to have seen run drills with the others.
After more film study I believe I would swap the positions of Whyle and Schoonmaker in my analysis. I feel like Schoonmaker displays a bit more speed and quickness and more overall strength. I believe the strength is something that Whyle will continue to develop but I think at this point it tips the scale in favor of Luke whom I think is a day 1 contributor in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2023, 03:50 AM)Synric Wrote: Dallas Goedert mentioned 10 yard splits for TE because they mostly run 5 to 10 yard routes. 

Luke Musgrave 1.54
Michael Mayer 1.66
Darnell Washington 1.57
Tucker Kraft 1.59
Sam LaPorta 1.59
Brenton Strange 1.57
Payne Durham 1.61
Josh Whyle 1.61
Will Malory 1.59

And RAS scores for those that value those (ras.football):
Musgrave - 9.95
Washington - 9.90
Mayer - 8.08
LaPorta - 9.25
Kraft - 9.52
Durham - 8.17
Whyle - 8.87
Schoonmaker - 9.75

This looks like a pretty athletic TE class overall.
Mayer will be a very solid TE and he's a safe pick, but I think Washington and Musgrave have a (somewhat) higher ceiling.
In Rds 2-4, LaPorta, Kraft, and Schoonmaker look like they could be good selections.
Duham is too slow to be dynamic but he'll be a great blocker and safety net on underneath routes.
Whyle will be an ok pick on Day 3 as a TE2 type of guy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2023, 01:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And RAS scores for those that value those (ras.football):
Musgrave - 9.95
Washington - 9.90
Mayer - 8.08
LaPorta - 9.25
Kraft - 9.52
Durham - 8.17
Whyle - 8.87
Schoonmaker - 9.75

Mayer will be a very solid TE and he's a safe pick, but I think Washington and Musgrave have a (somewhat) higher ceiling.
In Rds 2-4, LaPorta, Kraft, and Schoonmaker look like they could be good selections.
Duham is too slow to be dynamic but he'll be a great blocker and safety net on underneath routes.

Brenton Strange with a 8.75 RS. Day 3 guy I really like similar prospect to Tucker Kraft.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2023, 01:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And RAS scores for those that value those (ras.football):
Musgrave - 9.95
Washington - 9.90
Mayer - 8.08
LaPorta - 9.25
Kraft - 9.52
Durham - 8.17
Whyle - 8.87
Schoonmaker - 9.75

Durham was slower than I expected but the catch radius along with the vert has me feeling good still as a mid round selection.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2023, 12:55 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 40 times not that impactful anymore especially tight ends it is not ,  besides Kelsce run a 4 6, Kyle Rudolph was like a 4.8 I believe .  Eifert was a 4.68

Exactly but NFL executives put stock in this shit for some reason.

Mayer is plenty fast enough for a tight end, runs good routes, makes contested catches, and is a hell of a tight end.

(03-05-2023, 11:57 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Mayer didn't excel athletically at the combine but I suppose his strengths are intelligence, good hands, and route running. I wonder how the Bengals are evaluating the position? Does Mayer not exhibiting the superior athleticism at the combine cause the Bengals to lose interest?

It would be soooo interesting to be in the room when Duke and others discuss the players.

Mayer’s strengths, like you pointed out, are mostly intangibles.

He may not have blown teams away with his speed or anything but he’s a hell of a tight end and will be Burrow’s best friend.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2023, 12:59 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: CJ loved it here too and Bengals wanted him back but $$ talks and Hurst knows this is probably his last chance at a decent payday  that we can't afford. 

True enough, even though I think it is different with Hurst. He had major depression and shit before he got here. I think if we offer
him a fair deal considering his age and injury history for a couple years he would gladly take it to stay where he resurrected his career
and with Burrow and the chance of a ring or two.

(03-05-2023, 09:09 AM)OSUfan Wrote: While he is 30 what most forget is that compared to some other TEs he was lightly used because of who was in front of him at his other stops. There is a lot of tread left on the tires of Hurst.

Yes and exactly why I want Hurst to stick around lol

I don't think we have seen even close to his best. Would suck for him to go somewhere else and show it.

(03-05-2023, 09:17 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Why would we be in big trouble if Pollack is alright with Carman at RT? I think many are judging him off of his snaps inside at OG. Playing inside is a completely different animal than playing outside and just because you can play OT does not mean you can play OG. I thought his snaps at LT showed far more of the player that was expected to be seen when he was drafted. I also would not read too much into anything that coaches put into the media. They are not going to come out and tell the media that they think a player sucks and that they have to find their replacement immediately.

There are many ways they could go just depending on how the draft falls and I want to see them take the best player sitting there.

Well, it would be fantastic if Carman moved to RT and played well. Just not expecting it, he said himself moving to the right side was 
an issue, this is still moving to the right side even if it is Tackle. True on not reading into what coaches say to the media but Pollack 
pretty much ruled out moving Jonah to RT where he HAS played before and played well. I think this was a mistake to rule this out 
this early in the Offseason myself.

Cannot disagree with anything else. I just don't want to depend on Carman figuring out how to play an entirely new position. He 
played well at LT, I would keep him there. I think Darnell Wright would be the best player that fits our needs at 28, just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
Im just not in favor of using a 1st round draft pick on a TE. I think the value of that position is too low compared to other positions like defensive line, cornerback, Offensive line etc. I especially dont like the thought of using a 1st round pick on a slow TE. I was not happy when the Bengals wasted a 2nd round pick on Drew Sample. I would be even more unhappy to see them waste a 1st round pick on Mayer.
Reply/Quote
Im not that impressed by Mayer’s blocking - just throwing that out there.

Sounds like a guy who can make plays that some can’t but might be annoying to have on the team if the play calling has to mask his issues.

If he was a third round pick he’ll yeah, but is that something you want in a first rounder?

You never know though. Burrow likes moxie and the guy has it. Do we even use the TE in blocking?
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2023, 11:18 PM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: Im not that impressed by Mayer’s blocking - just throwing that out there.

Sounds like a guy who can make plays that some can’t but might be annoying to have on the team if the play calling has to mask his issues.

If he was a third round pick he’ll yeah, but is that something you want in a first rounder?

You never know though. Burrow likes moxie and the guy has it. Do we even use the TE in blocking?

In the fear of sounding like a rear, are we serious with that question?

A LOT. Our TEs sometimes are 1 on 1 with their best edges.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 12:17 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: In the fear of sounding like a rear, are we serious with that question?

A LOT. Our TEs sometimes are 1 on 1 with their best edges.

Unfortuantely we need TEs for extra blockers.  Usually it's because our OL needs help.  Look what happened when SF allowed their TE (our very own Tyler Kroft) to 1v1 Hassan Reddick.... blew up Brock Purdy for the next 2 seasons.
Reply/Quote
Watching the combine, Darnell Washington looks very good as well.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 03:05 AM)Storer50 Wrote: Watching the combine, Darnell Washington looks very good as well.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

I feel like Washington has a high probability of being the Bengals' pick if he's there at 28.
While he didn't blaze in the running drills, it was very good for his size.
Dude also is a blocking machine. We won't have to worry about TE blocking being a liability with him in.
He demonstrated (to me anyway) that he has good enough speed and agility to succeed as a receiver too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote