Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown: Lack of honoring former players 'probably my fault'
Paul Dehner/Cincinnati.com

Pleas for the Bengals to do more in honoring former players have not fallen on deaf ears. Mike Brown admitted on Tuesday he is reconsidering some type of way to honor past players around Paul Brown Stadium after years of resistance to the concept.

The Bengals are the only team in the NFL not to have a hall of fame, ring of honor, statues or annual ceremonies to celebrate former players.

"I understand the players," Brown said at the team's annual media luncheon. "They want to be remembered. I think it is a good thing to do that. We have never traded here on nostalgia. That's probably my fault. Because a little of it is a good thing. Fans like that sort of thing. What I'm saying is I'm stewing on it. I'm aware of the discomfort with our position."

Full Article
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 05:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Paul Dehner/Cincinnati.com

Pleas for the Bengals to do more in honoring former players have not fallen on deaf ears. Mike Brown admitted on Tuesday he is reconsidering some type of way to honor past players around Paul Brown Stadium after years of resistance to the concept.

The Bengals are the only team in the NFL not to have a hall of fame, ring of honor, statues or annual ceremonies to celebrate former players.

"I understand the players," Brown said at the team's annual media luncheon. "They want to be remembered. I think it is a good thing to do that. We have never traded here on nostalgia. That's probably my fault. Because a little of it is a good thing. Fans like that sort of thing. What I'm saying is I'm stewing on it. I'm aware of the discomfort with our position."

Full Article

He acts like he is powerless to do something about it.  No excuse whatsoever.   Pathetic.  
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 06:45 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: He acts like he is powerless to do something about it.  No excuse whatsoever.   Pathetic.  

I think that's what struck me the most. His quotes in the article are perplexing to say the least. 
Reply/Quote
Probably?
Reply/Quote
Would like to see Big Willie and Munoz get some respect in some sort of ring of honor.
Reply/Quote
I think I should accept some of the blame
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
"Maybe someone who comes after me can do better with this."

To me, that quote says that there's not going to be any changes on this front while Mike Brown is still in charge.

Reply/Quote
Don't bother, Mikey. We all know who is good and who isn't so good.
Reply/Quote
Sad so sad we don't have a Bengals ring of honor. Just another one of the long list of things that make it easy to dislike Mikey !
Reply/Quote
I was half prepared to read "shame on them" after his acknowledgment that they want to be remembered. He said a lot to get to stewing.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 08:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Sad so sad we don't have a Bengals ring of honor. Just another one of the long list of things that make it easy to dislike Mikey !

What makes it worse, and this is just my opinion...I honestly don't think he truly "gets it" in regards to why fans want players remembered, or why players want to be remembered. 

The "we've never traded on nostalgia" comment was just weird.  Confused
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 08:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: What makes it worse, and this is just my opinion...I honestly don't think he truly "gets it" in regards to why fans want players remembered, or why players want to be remembered. 

The "we've never traded on nostalgia" comment was just weird.  Confused

I'm lost as to what he means with the nostalgia comment as well ? I'd say you hit the nail on the head with he just doesn't "get it".

I guess it just proves the business (money) aspect of his team is all he's really worried about.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 08:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm lost as to what he means with the nostalgia comment as well ? I'd say you hit the nail on the head with he just doesn't "get it".

I guess it just proves the business (money) aspect of his team is all he's really worried about.

Well maybe you missed the main part of the article, he actually took blame and said he is relooking at it.. does it really matter that much how he said it ?  We complain that Mike does not care about retired players and then we complain when he takes blame.. amazing

PS.. The Browns do a lot of good for old players and the community but they don't boast about it and keep it as private as possible.. Greg Cook is a prime example.... 
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 05:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Paul Dehner/Cincinnati.com

Full Article
Upon what is his "position" based?  What good reason could there be for being this way?

It's not just football.  He should stroll over to GABP to see how it's done.  Do it already, Mike.  Get off your stewing ass and join the rest of the league.

Oh, and...probably his fault?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 09:08 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: Well maybe you missed the main part of the article, he actually took blame and said he is relooking at it.. does it really matter that much how he said it ?  We complain that Mike does not care about retired players and then we complain when he takes blame.. amazing

PS.. The Browns do a lot of good for old players and the community but they don't boast about it and keep it as private as possible..  Greg Cook is a prime example.... 

Exactly! Mike's just going at his own pace. After owning the team for a quarter of a century...he's getting around to "stewing on it".  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 09:08 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: Well maybe you missed the main part of the article, he actually took blame and said he is relooking at it.. does it really matter that much how he said it ?  We complain that Mike does not care about retired players and then we complain when he takes blame.. amazing

PS.. The Browns do a lot of good for old players and the community but they don't boast about it and keep it as private as possible..  Greg Cook is a prime example.... 

Oh well blow me down, he took the blame, whopeeeeeeeeee. What he should have done was fixed it years ago !
Reply/Quote
I came to the conclusion years ago that Mike Brown is wired a little differently.

He really says some weird stuff sometimes. The comment about the fans comes off as clueless and condescending.

Does he not realize that 31 other teams honor their past greats? Also "we do not trade on nostalgia"? This coming from a guy who named the stadium after his father? What an unappreciative jackass. He takes both fans and players for granted.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
[Image: th?id=JN.YUoPcdU12uUrVJm0ZSr%2bpw&pid=15.1&P=0]"What I'm saying is I'm stewing on it"
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 09:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh well blow me down, he took the blame, whopeeeeeeeeee. What he should have done was fixed it years ago !

boy you sound stuck in the past like Mike.. 
Reply/Quote

It's well known how much good MB does for people and how low key and quiet he is about it.  No one's denying that.  And it's great he helps out his former players.

But this is a separate issue.  This is about honoring players publicly, not helping them privately.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote