Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown Letter Mixon Enquirer
The Bengals take pride in our hometown and want to provide winning football on the field and successful players off the field.  That is the reason we drafted Joe – he is a rare football talent, and his conduct over the past three years leads us to believe he can help us win football games and also become a productive member of this community.

In making our decision, we took a risk. In this case, the risk has an upside as well as a downside. We believe Joe has put this behind him and that he can turn into the player and community member that creates a plus for Cincinnati. We are going to do everything in our power to make this happen. Our hope is that time will prove that this opportunity is deserved, and perhaps – if given a chance – Joe can write a chapter in Cincinnati sports history that both he and Cincinnati can be proud of.
Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mike Brown, President
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Just the fact he needed to send out a letter in the newspaper explaining his decision raised my eyebrows. Mike Brown has a good heart, but terrible business sense.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
That's Mike Brown's way of putting Joe Mixon on notice about his off the field issues. I wish Mike would write a similar letter putting Marvin Lewis on notice for his on the field issues.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 01:45 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Just the fact he needed to send out a letter in the newspaper explaining his decision raised my eyebrows. Mike Brown has a good heart, but terrible business sense.

Well I suggest you do more research as the letter was in response to a group leader (paid group leader) who sent a letter to Mike Brown stating their organization's concerns. 

MB the businessman addressed the letter in writing versus ignoring it which is a great business practice. Someone leaked the two letters to the press.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Thought it was a nice thing that he decided to address the fans/media on his thought process.

Hopefully Mixon lives up the bill.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Not a fan of the Mixon pick, not a fan of pacman still being here.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 01:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well I suggest you do more research as the letter was in response to a group leader (paid group leader) who sent a letter to Mike Brown stating their organization's concerns. 

MB the businessman addressed the letter in writing versus ignoring it which is a great business practice. Someone leaked the two letters to the press.

Since when does a businessman need the approval of the fan base on an organizational decision? There are lots of people upset the Bengals are taking a chance on Mixon. If it was such a good business move, why did so many teams pass on Mixon? Personally, I like Mixon's football skills. I don't like his past actions though. If he even breaks a little trust in the fan base, people will quickly jump on the here we go again bandwagon.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
This is to be applauded, but history tells me it won't
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I appreciate the candor.

He obviously wants us to win, even if he doesn't really know how.
Reply/Quote
How ironic, MB posts a letter in the newspaper about Mixon. What's he got to prove? This team has had some draft picks that smelled up the place but MB didn't say but a few words about them! I believe he's trying to justify his hiring of ML. Sad
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 03:56 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Since when does a businessman need the approval of the fan base on an organizational decision? There are lots of people upset the Bengals are taking a chance on Mixon. If it was such a good business move, why did so many teams pass on Mixon? Personally, I like Mixon's football skills. I don't like his past actions though. If he even breaks a little trust in the fan base, people will quickly jump on the here we go again bandwagon.

When that businessman relies on families, and businesses that cater to families to buy tickets to fill his stadium.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 03:56 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Since when does a businessman need the approval of the fan base on an organizational decision? There are lots of people upset the Bengals are taking a chance on Mixon. If it was such a good business move, why did so many teams pass on Mixon? Personally, I like Mixon's football skills. I don't like his past actions though. If he even breaks a little trust in the fan base, people will quickly jump on the here we go again bandwagon.

He did not write a letter to USA today or the Enquirer and post it to the fans.

He answered a concern (letter)  he received to one person. The Enquirer discovered the letter and posted it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
So many things can be spun one way or the other, depending on how you choose to look at it, depending on what preconceived notions you have about the situation.

To some, Mike can do no right. If you're in that camp, you can easily see the negative in anything he does.

I see no negative in the letter or even the fact that it was written. Personally, I think the Bengals have handled this whole situation beautifully. They have addressed the situation head on, with not even the slightest attempt to ignore it or sweep it under the rug.

The real question is how much is enough? How long does a man have to pay for a teenage mistake, even a horrible one?

I believe Mixon will be the last guy we'll have to worry about. He'll never do such a thing again, if for no other reason than to not let his mother down again like he did three years ago.

The media will not let it go for awhile. But this is a dead issue.

Kudos to MB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
For me, the biggest thing I take from all of this is Mike and the organization are willing to give the kid a shot. And why not? Should a mistake he made 3+ years ago define who he is now? Should a mistake he made follow him around for the rest of his life? What ever happened to "serve your time and go free"? He did what was required by the courts, accepted his punishment from the NCAA, came back and was a good student and a good teammate. I get it, what he did was horrible. But people CAN change for the better, why shouldn't those people be given a chance?

I hope he quietly goes about his business while here, reaches out positively in the community, and lights this league on fire...not only because it will benefit my hometown team...but also to show people that second chances are sometimes all a person needs!
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 05:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is to be applauded, but history tells me it won't

Yup. He didn't have to explain anything to anyone. His business his money.
Reply/Quote
Where's all the outrage about the Browns drafting a kid with a domestic violence arrest?
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 02:20 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Thought it was a nice thing that he decided to address the fans/media on his thought process.

Hopefully Mixon lives up the bill.

Rep
Reply/Quote
I loved this actually. Short, very sincere and to the point. I've never had a problem with Mike taking a risk every now and then.

In fact, it's one of the things I like about Mike Brown.

Of course, me saying this won't stop certain folks on here from calling me a hater when I do have something I want to criticize.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
That goes without saying
Reply/Quote
It's not like we signed Greg Hardy or Ray Rice. I'm done talking about it. Proud of our organization for seeing the forest through the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote