Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mike Brown Speaks
If you can get through Hobson's dribble, there is actually some stuff about Mike Brown regarding Pacman, trading AJ, a home opener, and Marvin Lewis' extension. He also gives some context regarding the Bengals and moving cities.

It's funny (and not surprising) because I think I literally disagree with him on pretty much every topic covered. Oh well, im sure things will continue to work out for him (another mediocre season).

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mike-Brown-on-Jones-McCarron-and-Lewis/648f4ab8-1686-406a-9486-b15c3cc2af57
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Mike clearly doesn't believe in keeping business people and personal friends seperate. By far, his biggest downfall (in a long list of moronic bullshit). He'll never learn
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 04:54 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Mike clearly doesn't believe in keeping business people and personal friends seperate. By far, his biggest downfall (in a long list of moronic bullshit). He'll never learn

Yep. He said in the article Marvin is coming over for dinner at his house later. 

I mean, how on earth are you supposed to fire someone who is under performing that is your best friend? Lets face it, Marvin is here to stay as long as he wants. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 04:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Yep. He said in the article Marvin is coming over for dinner at his house later. 

I mean, how on earth are you supposed to fire someone who is under performing that is your best friend? Lets face it, Marvin is here to stay as long as he wants. 

You're under the fallacy that MB thinks Marvin is under performing.  You need to start from the reality that MB thinks Marvin is doing a great job, and then start yourdepression from there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I know there's a lot to disagree with in things Mike says, and I'm actually ready to see Pac move on. But when I see his loyalty to Pac and his family, and the way he thinks about it, I just see a really decent human being, and somehow, I feel proud of the damn guy.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 05:52 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I know there's a lot to disagree with in things Mike says, and I'm actually ready to see Pac move on.  But when I see his loyalty to Pac and his family, and the way he thinks about it, I just see a really decent human being, and somehow, I feel proud of the damn guy.

He is a good person...

Hes not a great GM.. But he is a good person
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 05:52 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I know there's a lot to disagree with in things Mike says, and I'm actually ready to see Pac move on.  But when I see his loyalty to Pac and his family, and the way he thinks about it, I just see a really decent human being, and somehow, I feel proud of the damn guy.

An owner/GM should not have that type of relationship with players. It's creates a bias and a huge conflict of interest. Not to sound like a heartless jerk here but I don't care about Pacman's personal/family life. As far as I'm concerned, Pacman has earned his pink slip. He's done it to himself. It's not up to Mike to protect him because he made a certain connection with Pacman. It's up to Mike to be a GM and do the right thing. But now that's impossible. Mike has established a relationship with Pacmam like he has with Marvin and both will be here for as long as they please because Mike has an inability to seperate his personal life and his business life. Such an asinine human being
Reply/Quote
After reading this interview I have (1) more respect for Mike Brown as a human being and (2) my feelings are mixed about his strategy for the team. The man has a YUGE heart.
Reply/Quote
People need to quit looking at this franchise like other franchises....This is a family team and a family business....I have seen the same things in a real job situation...Some loyal employee that has been there for a million years and they keep them on the payroll because of loyalty and knowing they come and just do their job every day... This is what you get and what you will always get being a fan of this franchise....This will never change unless the Brown family sells the team (which will never happen)...This is rehashed every year, year in and year out. It is his team and he has the right to run it how he sees fit, the same as any family owned business. Want to make a change? Have only 10K people show up per game all of next year then he may get the point but that will never happen...Peace!
Reply/Quote
This is exactly why this team has zero discipline and accountability.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 05:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He is a good person...

I've long thought that the reason underperforming vets like Peko and John Thornton were allowed to play out their contracts which they were obviously underperforming was because MB was emotionally invested in them as people.  It's just hard for him to pull the plug on guys, and it's part of the reason we see him bringing old players back.  While we as fans look at FA as "We could sign X if we just cut Y and Z.", he sees it as "Can I really take food off of Y and Z's tables just to bring in X?"

Honestly, he is the type of owner that really needs to have a GM that can be neutral and take the emotional attachment out of it.
Reply/Quote
This owner is a joke . That's all that's too it. Sucks to be a fan
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 07:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: I've long thought that the reason underperforming vets like Peko and John Thornton were allowed to play out their contracts which they were obviously underperforming was because MB was emotionally invested in them as people.  It's just hard for him to pull the plug on guys, and it's part of the reason we see him bringing old players back.  While we as fans look at FA as "We could sign X if we just cut Y and Z.", he sees it as "Can I really take food off of Y and Z's tables just to bring in X?"

Honestly, he is the type of owner that really needs to have a GM that can be neutral and take the emotional attachment out of it.

Exactly. People often claim that Mike may not be the smartest GM but that he is a "great businessman". I don't see how. Keeping players, coaches, whoever aboard because they're some of your best friends is horrible business etiquette. Some may see Mike as "nice" (and he certainly is, to some extent), I mainly see him as selfish, ignorant and in denial.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 06:21 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: After reading this interview I have (1) more respect for Mike Brown as a human being and (2) my feelings are mixed about his strategy for the team.  The man has a YUGE heart.
Since I don't know the man personally he certainly makes it sound that way. Whatever I do NOT agree with his stubborn my-way approach to football. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 08:05 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Exactly. People often claim that Mike may not be the smartest GM but that he is a "great businessman". I don't see how. Keeping players, coaches, whoever aboard because they're some of your best friends is horrible business etiquette. Some may see Mike as "nice" (and he certainly is, to some extent), I mainly see him as selfish, ignorant and in denial.

Thing is, he doesn't even have to be a good businessman.  He has that huge safety net that will never go away.  Wouldn't mind seeing profit sharing having a performance based element.  You suck, you get less.  You win, you get more.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It is possible to be a fan of the team and not the ownership.

There was a time when people were a fan of both in Cincinnati... then came Son of Paul. Sad
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Crazy insight on just how loyal MB really is. Jones isn't going anywhere and no one in the family I guess can tell him any different just yet.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Being a fan of this team is like boxing Mike Tyson in his prime with one arm behind your back. We have no chance and it's a miracle we have even made it to the playoffs under him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Well..put yourself in the shoes of someone who has really messed up and has begged for a second chance.  I've been there and didn't have someone like MB on my side and I wish I had. 
The truth is he owns the team and can run it as he sees fit and absolutely nobody is required to agree with what he does or doesn't do. Mike Brown will never send someone to your door to break your knees for not being a fan so you're all completely free to become fans of another team or no team at all.
As for loyalty, I have zero problem with feeling a deep sense of loyalty. I admire that aspect of MB probably more than anything else about him. I share that with him not in the same way, but in ways that don't necessarily benefit me. I'm caring for my 88 year old father and his wife who I can't stand, but because of the loyalty I feel towards my dad I could never walk away and let him fend for himself despite the fact that there are others in my family and his wifes family who could, but don't do much of anything for him or her. I do it out of loyalty. When he dies he won't leave much of anything to inherit. There's no money in it and to be honest they're both a royal pain in the ass  pretty much 24/7 ..
I've never been one to toss anyone on unemployment just because their personal lives are a mess. 
I think about all the people who rail against defense attorneys and consider them the scum of the earth, but find yourself in trouble with the law regardless of whose fault it is and every one of you would damned sure want the best defense attorney money can buy.  I've never met anyone who told me they'd rather have a kmart lawyer when it comes to legal advice. 
Ok, a bit off topic, but it plays into it. Suppose you work for a company that would drop you at the first sign of problems in your life or even repeated problems. Would you rather work for someone who doesn't care one iota about your problems or someone who has your back through thick and thin? Those kinds of people have become very rare in most of our lives. 
If I had a huge financial stake in the Bengals as a team I might feel different, but the truth is that I don't. The ONLY stake I have in this team is that of a fan and someone who values loyalty and caring about peoples lives .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 05:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He is a good person...

Which is why I get pissed when I see people here wishing for the man's death. Get a grip people. It's a game. 

Reply/Quote