Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown-We want to help Joe
Let's hope he really means it and will be active in free agency with proven players so we're not relying on rookies in the draft or have to get second or third-tier free agents.

I also hope that we spend some money and make sure that we have decent depth because we know that injuries will hit us. I'm not saying we need all-star backups, but I'd like to at least have serviceable players that can step in when we're in a pinch.

I think he knows how special Joe is and how good the receivers we just spent money on, along with Mixon, are.

Put Joe behind a solid offensive line and we're looking at a return to the Super Bowl!

(Also re-sign guys like Bates.)
Reply/Quote
"I see better than I hear" was a Marvin quote that I use often on my kids nowadays.
I think it holds true in this situation as well with Mike Brown and the offensive line, which he does not specifically address in the interview.

What Mike said last year about the OL is in my signature. Frankly, I wasn't surprised one bit. Let's hope this year will be different, because MB isn't in charge anymore, right? Smirk
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
The OL issues are more than talent related. Some I understand just don’t want to play and just collect a check. No names used I’d expect one is Carman.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 07:07 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The OL issues are more than talent related. Some I understand just don’t want to play and just collect a check. No names used I’d expect one is Carman.

He did come into camp out of shape, but he was also coming off back surgery. I’ve heard he spends a lot of time watching film and studying opposing players (like more than average). So I don’t really think it’s a matter of laziness, or not caring or whatever.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I sure hope he’s not planing on fixing the line through the draft only. Burrow is going to get killed, we need FA’s.
Reply/Quote
This is going to be a fun offseason. Big things coming
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 11:15 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This is going to be a fun offseason. Big things coming

Pun intended?

Reply/Quote
I don't think Mike Brown can help JB. I don't think he knows how. He's been doing things his way for so long now that it would practically take a divine intervention.

Had Mike Brown helped JB last year, we would've never had those spirited Sewell vs. Chase discussions.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
If he didn't hold on to that cap space and they made the line an emphasis this past season, Brown would have hoisted the Lombardi. That is a fact and hopefully a tough pill for him to swallow. He was also about a hair away from JB needing reconstructive knee surgery 2 years in a row.
Reply/Quote
Not sure why so many of you are worried.
Cheap is old motto.
Mike has spent more in the last 2 years that he probably has in the last 15 years, and look where it got him? To the SB! You think he's just gonna suddenly revert back to scrap heap FA's?

We have spare money this year too, FA's are changing their tune towards us, hopefully we won't have to over pay like before.
I do seem to recall they tried to get another top OL signing last year before Riley, but the guy signed elsewhere, and then they went after Riley.

Do you guys think Gronk is the only future hall of famer that sees the Direction we are going and wants to be in on it????

I say bring on FA period and let's get it going.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 03:24 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Not sure why so many of you are worried.
Cheap is old motto.
Mike has spent more in the last 2 years that he probably has in the last 15 years, and look where it got him? To the SB! You think he's just gonna suddenly revert back to scrap heap FA's?

We have spare money this year too, FA's are changing their tune towards us, hopefully we won't have to over pay like before.
I do seem to recall they tried to get another top OL signing last year before Riley, but the guy signed elsewhere, and then they went after Riley.

Do you guys think Gronk is the only future hall of famer that sees the Direction we are going and wants to be in on it????

I say bring on FA period and let's get it going.

Thuney was always just a pipe dream at that kind of money, but not signing Zeitler was really frustrating. He would have made a huge difference.

Reply/Quote
It feels kind of nice to know exactly what we need to fix for a change.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 05:35 AM)CloeHokie Wrote: It feels kind of nice to know exactly what we need to fix for a change.

Well they’ve known they need to fix it for years. Difference is now it’s really the only thing that needs fixing.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 11:38 AM)pally Wrote: Mike thinks Paul would have loved this team

"I think so. Joe is a smart player and that shines through," Brown said. "He's accurate, he's tough as nails. We want to do some things to help him.

"I think we have the core of a top team, we'll add to it and I think we can make it better,"

"Just as long as it doesn't cost money."
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 12:13 PM)Webbtown Wrote: The Bengals don’t have to break the bank to improve the line in FA. I think many veterans will realize they can win in Cincinnati which should help.

There a core of teams that can say same thing can be said plus $$ talks and quality Oline usually is thin . This FA is loaded in WR not Oline so it is going to be a very competitive market.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 11:38 AM)pally Wrote: "I think we have the core of a top team, we'll add to it and I think we can make it better.”

- Mike Brown

This quote gives me hope because it indicates Mikey Boy has grown in his thinking. For decades he was far too quarterback-centric while ignoring the other parts of the offense. Getting a good quarterback IS crucial but if he’s not protected it’s all for naught.

In 2021-2022 the entire sports world saw Joe Burrow get flattened on national television; he took nine sacks against the Titans and seven sacks against the Rams. In the regular season the offensive line allowed 55 sacks — 51 against Joe Burrow and four in one game against Brandon Allen — along with 19 sacks in the playoffs.

With pass protection Joe Burrow will get even better. He’s amazing now so imagine, if you will, how much better he’ll be with even one more second to go through progressions, set his feet, and throw. A better offensive line helps the rushing attack as well. Imagine, if you will, Joe Mixon with five or six bigger seams per game.

Finally, a better offensive line makes for a better defensive line. If a defensive line practices against five turnstiles all week then encounters a good offensive line in an actual game they’ll consistently underperform.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals made a lot of money this year. Much better revenue for the regular season and then the playoffs and Super Bowl. Thst helps
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 07:37 AM)Interceptor Wrote: "Just as long as it doesn't cost money."

You sleep through the last couple years or something?

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 09:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You sleep through the last couple years or something?

Haha, NO! I found a nice rock to live under, though.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 02:51 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: If he didn't hold on to that cap space and they made the line an emphasis this past season, Brown would have hoisted the Lombardi.  That is a fact and hopefully a tough pill for him to swallow.  He was also about a hair away from JB needing reconstructive knee surgery 2 years in a row.

i strongly disagree.  if you make the OL the emphasis, you dont get Trey, Ogunjobi, Hilton, you dont draft chase,  i dont think you even win a playoff game if you dont do what we did. Now this offseason we can cut waynes, save that money,  Hopefully Carman will improve.  Resign Reiff,  pickup a few FA and also draft some OL.  
Reply/Quote