Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown-We want to help Joe
(02-18-2022, 10:08 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: i strongly disagree.  if you make the OL the emphasis, you dont get Trey, Ogunjobi, Hilton, you dont draft chase,  i dont think you even win a playoff game if you dont do what we did. Now this offseason we can cut waynes, save that money,  Hopefully Carman will improve.  Resign Reiff,  pickup a few FA and also draft some OL.  

He had cap space to put out a better oline and have all the key members you mentioned. One solid guard or two and we and he gave a sb. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 10:13 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: He had cap space to put out a better oline and have all the key members you mentioned. One solid guard or two and we and he gave a sb. 

Cap space is one thing,  but in order to get guys to want to play here, youre gonna have to over pay (that is until now)  So really it doesnt make business sense to overpay or even run up against the cap without knowing what you have,  Even if you bring in the best OL and have the best OL in the history of the NFL absolutely nobody thought we would make a deep playoff run.  So why risk it?  now we know what we have, and we know what we need.  And now we know who we can cut/move on from, create more cap space, bring in the best people, who now wanna be here, and make another run for the next few seasons. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 10:43 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Cap space is one thing,  but in order to get guys to want to play here, youre gonna have to over pay (that is until now)  So really it doesnt make business sense to overpay or even run up against the cap without knowing what you have,  Even if you bring in the best OL and have the best OL in the history of the NFL absolutely nobody thought we would make a deep playoff run.  So why risk it?  now we know what we have, and we know what we need.  And now we know who we can cut/move on from, create more cap space, bring in the best people, who now wanna be here, and make another run for the next few seasons. 
Nope. Cost him a sb. I'm sure they could have found zeitler and someone around that level 

I mean...not like JB lost his knee to poor guard play last year and almost again this year. Gross negligence trotting that line out there and extremely embarrassing how many time JN got hit 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 10:08 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: i strongly disagree.  if you make the OL the emphasis, you dont get Trey, Ogunjobi, Hilton, you dont draft chase,  i dont think you even win a playoff game if you dont do what we did. Now this offseason we can cut waynes, save that money,  Hopefully Carman will improve.  Resign Reiff,  pickup a few FA and also draft some OL.  

This
Reply/Quote
Good to hear and praying he means going out and getting a real Oline. And in my mind that means proven free agents, at least 2 of em. And at least 1 top the the draft Oline. Hoping the pick and the end of the first is Oline.

You have to build around the strength and our strength is Joe Burrow.

Get him a damn Oline Mike.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

We were very fortunate that Joe Burrow was not injured more this year with 70+ sacks.   Protecting Joe Burrow should have been the first priority after the ACL injury regardless of the end result.   If Joe Burrow had a career ending injury this year it would have been a massive embarassment for the franchise that they would never get over.  No QB worth a damn would ever play for us again.
Reply/Quote
Profootballtalk just said we may have trouble signing guys on the Oline because we generally only guarantee first year of contract FA lineman look for more security than that.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 02:22 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Lets be glad they didnt,  Honestly, if we dont get Trey, Awuzie, Hilton, and Chase,  we arent in the SB, i dont think the best OL the NFL has ever seen would have gotten us there.  However everyone is upset that Zac and others arent calling out the OL,  but i think thats good,  its hard to good for morale around a place when those guys speak out against the players they employ, short of saying we gotta play better.  They cant just come out and say Adenji, Hopkins and Prince suck ass and we wanna move on,   i mean we all think it,  just wouldnt be good to say it aloud.   Tongue

The bolded above i spot on, you did build a winning culture by calling out individual players or groups. It i smart. The loss of Reiff is often ignored in this forum, but a big deal. 

ZT and the FO will speak volumes with their FA signings of OL and draft picks of OL. We will then know how he and the OL coach feel about our 2021 starters on the OL.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I would not even consider an OL from Ohio State

I have seen Petit-Free mocked to us. I would rather draft another WR than a Ohio State O Lineman
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 10:13 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: He had cap space to put out a better oline and have all the key members you mentioned. One solid guard or two and we and he gave a sb. 

So easy to be a Monday morning QB. Yes we knew the OL was an issue, but so was WR1, Higgins is great, but not the guy who demands double coverage like Chase.

Bengals built a Super Bowl roster, Reiff gets hurt and that was huge blow. We can all do the what if game, what if the FA guard you mention blows out his knee in training camp?

I suggest the Bengals and fans look forward. I suggest the FO evaluate the weaknesses of the Super Bowl roster and make it better through FA (we have a lot of cap money to spend) and the draft.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 12:45 PM)CincyDog Wrote: I would not even consider an OL from Ohio State

I have seen Petit-Free mocked to us.  I would rather draft another WR than a Ohio State O Lineman

Love his athletic ability along with his great feet but he's a project still and needs to get much much stronger. Took him 2 years at OSU to get to 300 lbs. Need a guy ready to step in now.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 12:45 PM)CincyDog Wrote: I would not even consider an OL from Ohio State

I have seen Petit-Free mocked to us. I would rather draft another WR than a Ohio State O Lineman

I will only accept defensive players from Ohio state

No offensive players from there, please
Reply/Quote

I have seen Petit-Free mocked to us.  I would rather draft another WR than a Ohio State O Lineman

(02-18-2022, 12:50 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I will only accept defensive players from Ohio state

Scout the player not the helmet.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 01:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pun intended?

I saw we are looking at Orlando Brown Jr (KC)...id say at 6-8, 350 lbs, he qualifies
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 12:50 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I will only accept defensive players from Ohio state

You been on Mars the past couple seasons?Then you won't have a job for too long.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 01:10 PM)higgy100 Wrote: You been on Mars the past couple seasons?Then you won't have a job for too long.

I’m just noticing that we have 3 contributors from Ohio state on this good defense

The bengals seem to strikeout with the offensive players from there
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 11:20 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Nope. Cost him a sb. I'm sure they could have found zeitler and someone around that level 

I mean...not like JB lost his knee to poor guard play last year and almost again this year. Gross negligence trotting that line out there and extremely embarrassing how many time JN got hit 
How did Zeitler help the Ravens? He wasn't even considering coming back to Cincy. It wouldn't have mattered how much we offered him.
Reply/Quote

OSU pumps out some good WR's.  QB's and OL are trash.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 01:07 PM)Synric Wrote: Scout the player not the helmet.

This is fine to say, but when a program and coaching staff has a long line of players at a position group that are over hyped and under deliver, it's more than fair to say people are missing something in their evaluation process.  Until folks go back and reevaluate the laundry list of OSU OL failures, figure out what they missed in their evaluation, and explain why NPF will be different, he's a hard no for me.  
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 01:10 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I saw we are looking at Orlando Brown Jr (KC)...id say at 6-8, 350 lbs, he qualifies

He’d be a giant mistake at 15-20 million
Reply/Quote