Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown-We want to help Joe
(02-18-2022, 06:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s an excellent point, 85!  

Frank Pollock did indeed get the run game going; he deserves credit for this.  I think he needs one more year if new personnel are not signed and/or drafted and two years if they are.  

A thought I had was hiring a second offensive line coach.  Let Frank teach run blocking and hire a pass blocking guru to solidify the protection.

That might work.
Pollack's strength is clearly the run game.

I would say Pollack deserves an extra year if they DON'T add much this offseason because he'll need more time to coach up the youngsters.
If they give him proven vets, the expectation should be the line is mid-pack or better in 2022. Anything less means try to find a new OL coach who can do better.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 06:54 PM)CincyDog Wrote: Eli Apple was straight up released by one of the worst team in the NFL last October, and he went unsigned to end the last 2 months of 2020.

He was not healthy.  He was on IR for the first half of the season.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 06:47 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: I said if we took the two lineman, Creed and the guard, that the Chiefs took in the draft we likely win that game.  We take a guy with back issues who missed sb due to back issues 

Yeah, I responded to the wrong post.  Thought I was replying to someone talking about moving Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 01:45 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Something has to be done. Burrow's been sacked over 120 times and has suffered two knee injuries in two years. Can't ignore it, can't do half-measures.

We've given up 122 sacks in the last 2 seasons, but "only" 102 of those were Burrow.

(02-17-2022, 02:10 PM)pally Wrote: We forget that they TRIED to address the offensive line needs. Just last year they signed Reiff and drafted 3 linemen. Additionally, they had others returning from injury. PLUS they fired the OL coach and rehired the guy we wish they had kept 2 years before. Couple that with multiple moves on the OL including first round draft picks in previous years and it shows us it isn't lack of attention being paid...it is lack of success
It just didn't work out the way they, we, or Joe wanted.

Grabbing a so-so free agent and using 2nd, 4th and 6th round picks is a "try", sure...but I think that kind of haul is a "C" effort for a problem that screams for an "A+" effort.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 07:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was not healthy.  He was on IR for the first half of the season.

Wrong. 

He was activated from IR on 10.3.20 and released 3-4 games later after he was awful on the field. 

It still changes nothing about my prior post.  
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 07:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was not healthy.  He was on IR for the first half of the season.

Eli might be the most universally hated Bengal that I just can't bring myself to hate.  He's not a star, but he did his job and exceeded expectations.

People will rip this team when they re-sign him, but personally I think they'd be nuts not to.  
Reply/Quote
With a minimum of 20 games Burrow is 3rd all time in sacks per game add playoff games he moves to number 1. Hes 3rd behind Neil Lomax 1 and 2 Deshaun Watson who is a scrambler. An alarming stat for the Jets Burrow would be 4th if Zac Wilson qualified
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 02:54 PM)ladeda Wrote:  Hint: They have the cap space available to resign their own guys and still add 3 OL. 

That is a pretty vague comment.

They don't have the space to sign all of our own guys plus 3 top O-linemen.

Right now we are projected to have $49 million in cap space.  We can add another $10 million by releasing Waynes.  That is $59 million to replace 6 starters (Bates, Apple, Uzomah, Ogunjobi, Reif, Spain) and two other top rotation players who both played about half of the snaps last year (Hill, Tupou). Plus other small contracts for our Punter, long snapper, back up QB, and our top 3 special teams gunners (Clay Johnston, Tre Flowers, and Stanley Morgan all finished in the top 40 in the league in special teams tackles).  Those guys are cheap, but they add up to a few million dollars.

$59 million doesn't go far when you have to replace a whole bunch of players.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 08:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is a pretty vague comment.

They don't have the space to sign all of our own guys plus 3 top O-linemen.

Right now we are projected to have $49 million in cap space.  We can add another $10 million by releasing Waynes.  That is $59 million to replace 6 starters (Bates, Apple, Uzomah, Ogunjobi, Reif, Spain) and two other top rotation players who both played about half of the snaps last year (Hill, Tupou). Plus other small contracts for our Punter, long snapper, back up QB, and our top 3 special teams gunners (Clay Johnston, Tre Flowers, and Stanley Morgan all finished in the top 40 in the league in special teams tackles).  Those guys are cheap, but they add up to a few million dollars.

$59 million doesn't go far when you have to replace a whole bunch of players.

Except that their current salaries off set that. So if they sign for near the same amount it’s not a drain on the cap space. Now Bates will but Wayne’s savings will offset some. They can still have $45-50 million to play with.
Reply/Quote
Sad thing is if it's not fixed this off season we may not have to worry about the oline anymore we will have to divert our attention to starting QB once again.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 05:23 PM)Yogo Wrote: Actually it's spot on relevant, because we sucked last season, we only became good this season to change our image.

It's not spot on because I was referencing the free agent acquisitions we made going into this current season. We finished 13 and 8 and went to the super bowl. Can you see how aggressive they were ?
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 04:38 PM)higgy100 Wrote: LOL Yogi. Your post was far more apropo towards this organization up to a couple years ago. They did pretty well this past season.

Couple means 2 years.  Maybe your timeline is off?
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 08:40 PM)higgy100 Wrote: It's not spot on because I was referencing the free agent acquisitions we made going into this current season. We finished 13 and 8 and went to the super bowl. Can you see how aggressive they were ?

Make up your mind 1 year ago or 2 years ago?  Feels like you referencing 2 different time periods now....  sigh....
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 08:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Except that their current salaries off set that. So if they sign for near the same amount it’s not a drain on the cap space. 

No.  That is not how it works.

Our "cap space" is calculated with zero dollars being paid to the players who are no longer under contract.  So every penny we pay Bates will come off the "cap space".  There is no "offset".
Reply/Quote
If Mike wants to help Joe, he needs to go up to Adeniji and tell him "Get out, right now, leave. It's the end, too late and I can't wait for you to be gone."
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 08:24 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Sad thing is if it's not fixed this off season we may not have to worry about the oline anymore we will have to divert our attention to starting QB once again.

Joe Burrow only has two knees. It’s criminal to draft a generationally gifted quarterback #1OA and place him behind a horrendous offensive line; this reminds me of Archie Manning and the Saints.

I understood picking Ja’Marr Chase in 2021.

If the offensive line is NOT addressed via free agency and the draft in 2022 this indicates cognitive disconnect in the Front Office.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 11:13 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow only has two knees.  It’s criminal to draft a generationally gifted quarterback #1OA and place him behind a horrendous offensive line; this reminds me of Archie Manning and the Saints.  

I understood picking Ja’Marr Chase in 2021.

If the offensive line is NOT addressed via free agency and the draft in 2022 this indicates cognitive disconnect in the Front Office.

They've tried to address it for about 5 years. The things theve done just haven't worked.

Cedar, Fisher, Jonah, Price, Carman. That's 3 1st and 2 2nd round picks. That's a lot of high picks.

Then trading for Glenn. Signing Reiff. XSF. Spain. Jon Miller.

It just hasn't worked out no matter what they did.

Yet we all expect them to actually make a few brilliant moves this offseason that totally fix it. Same things were said last offseason after Burrows knee injury.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 02:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They've tried to address it for about 5 years. The things theve done just haven't worked.

Cedar, Fisher, Jonah, Price, Carman. That's 3 1st and 2 2nd round picks. That's a lot of high picks.

Yet we all expect them to actually make a few brilliant moves this offseason that totally fix it. Same things were said last offseason after Burrows knee injury.

They’ve thrown a lot draft picks at it, but they’ve never truly went all in on fixing it in FA. I’m talking multiple additions in one offseason. Like if they would have brought Zeitler back last year in addition to Reiff.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 02:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They've tried to address it for about 5 years. The things theve done just haven't worked.

The draft was the wrong way to go to fix the offensive line. We know that now. Yes, you’re right, the Front Office did try but they failed miserably. This doesn’t mean we stop trying; it means going about solving the problem differently.

Free agency is the way to go. The Bengals need veteran offensive lineman who have never been coached by Paul Alexander or Jim Turner. Quality free agents bring new ideas to a team and this is good. I’m looking at the Commanders’ Brandon Scherff, the Jets’ Morgan Moses, and my sleeper pick of Terron Armistead from the Saints.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 02:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They’ve thrown a lot draft picks at it, but they’ve never truly went all in on fixing it in FA. I’m talking multiple additions in one offseason. Like if they would have brought Zeitler back last year in addition to Reiff.

Yep. They're going to have to pay a lot of guaranteed money. No other way.
Reply/Quote