Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown doesn't care about you...
(12-19-2016, 04:17 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: . . .Hence, the profit sharing. The Bengals get some pennies from the sale of that Cowboys coffee mug because the NFL owners have a contract in which they share proceeds of profits to make it more equitable for small market teams. That's the whole point Brown doesn't need to care about building a brand because he gets paid by the rest of the NFL's brand!!!

Bingo!  And not to mention that the bulk of his money comes through television contracts.  Contracts that are negotiated on behalf of the entire league.  It is literally impossible for him to lose money.  Other franchises are worth more, but those franchises also own their stadiums, practice facilities, etc.  All things that Mike refuses to invest money in.

I have no doubts that Mike would like to win, but have always thought that doing so his way was the most important thing.  Imagine the gall it takes to have failed for the last 26 years and still do things the same way... no thought of a General Manager, expanding the scouting department, being more active in free agency, etc. Nope, just keep doing what you're doing because you've convinced yourself that you somehow know better than the rest of the league.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 05:03 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: If he only cares about money why doesn't he sell the naming rights to the stadium?

Because it's his Dad's name that's on the stadium?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 11:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Because it's his Dad's name that's on the stadium?

Glad we see that he doesn't only care about money.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 01:00 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Glad we see that he doesn't only care about money.

That doesn't have anything to do with the team on the field. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, Paul Guenther, Paul Alexander, Ken Zampese, Hue Jackson when he was here. None of them care about you.

None of the he players care about you either.

The Cincinnati Bengals don't care about you.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 07:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: As i just posted in another thread, the owner of the Cincinnati Bengals does not care, not even the smallest amount, about you, your opinion of him, his team or coaches, nor anyone's opinion about his team. 

The only thing that matters is the profit.

As long as you continue to care about the Bengals, buy tickets and merchandise and invest your time and emotions, you are enabling Mike Brown to continue to operate the way he does. With no regard to how you feel about it. 

Your apathy is the only thing that can change this.

Hit him where it hurts.. Stop buying merch, and stop going to the games. That's the only way Mike will make any changes.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 10:12 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Hit him where it hurts.. Stop buying merch, and stop going to the games. That's the only way Mike will make any changes.

Yep. Sadly that fact is lost on a good percentage of our deluded fanbase. 
Reply/Quote
At least other owners pretend to care about their fan base, and I'm sure some of them actually do. Fans = customers and customers = money. That's why you want to please them and actually GROW your customer base. Mike Brown's apathetic nature towards his fans is probably at least partially why no one cares about the Bengals outside of the Nati.

Even though Brown's arrogant and apathetic stance towards his own customers annoys me, what really gets me is that almost every other franchise at least tries to run something resembling first class. Nice practice facilities, team HOFs, jersey retirement ceremonies, past players involved in team events, occasional forays into free agency, not tolerating years of disappointing players or coaching, putting winning over loyalty, etc. Mike just isn't "keen" on any of this, and stubbornly refused to even consider most if not all of it.

If you want to boycott his product, good for you. It's probably what we all should do...but don't expect it to change anything. Mike would just wait out the lease and move the team. The man will never change and he'll never care what we peon fans think. We're a necessary inconvenience to him and his money machine.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 04:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: At least other owners pretend to care about their fan base, and I'm sure some of them actually do. Fans = customers and customers = money. That's why you want to please them and actually GROW your customer base. Mike Brown's apathetic nature towards his fans is probably at least partially why no one cares about the Bengals outside of the Nati.

Even though Brown's arrogant and apathetic stance towards his own customers annoys me, what really gets me is that almost every other franchise at least tries to run something resembling first class. Nice practice facilities, team HOFs, jersey retirement ceremonies, past players involved in team events, occasional forays into free agency, not tolerating years of disappointing players or coaching, putting winning over loyalty, etc. Mike just isn't "keen" on any of this, and stubbornly refused to even consider most if not all of it.

If you want to boycott his product, good for you. It's probably what we all should do...but don't expect it to change anything. Mike would just wait out the lease and move the team. The man will never change and he'll never care what we peon fans think. We're a necessary inconvenience to him and his money machine.

He's so out of touch with reality, that he believes that fans won't even know who the former players are that would be included in a ROH. 

That is a sad reality.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 09:32 AM)jason Wrote: Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, Paul Guenther, Paul Alexander,  Ken Zampese, Hue Jackson when he was here. None of them care about you.

“You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”

Reply/Quote
As an aside, the most probable reason that Lewis and Brown don't "care" about what you or I think--and seem to lack any kind of dignity when it comes to prolonged failure--is because it's highly unlikely that they read newspapers, browse message boards or listen to sports talk shows, to hear what the masses think. They're buffered from criticism from the outside world unless certain questions are asked by those that are able to ask them. In those cases, as proven by Lewis and Brown many times, the questions are usually brushed off or avoided. 

There's a reason coaches run off the field after a game when things aren't going good and there's a reason coaches and owners aren't seen in public much during those times as well. 

Ignorance is bliss.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 01:08 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yep. Sadly that fact is lost on a good percentage of our deluded fan base. 

Refer to Orlando's and ShowMe's posts. They both explain the situation clearly and concisely.

No one in the organization cares about the fans at all.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 09:32 AM)jason Wrote: Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, Paul Guenther, Paul Alexander,  Ken Zampese, Hue Jackson when he was here. None of them care about you.

I spoke to Mike this afternoon.  Turns out he cares a lot about all of us and wants to make things better.  Step one is changing all the locks at PBS on January 2 so Marvin can't get in.

2017 is gonna be epic.

:andy:
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Every head coach on the NFL has a huge ego and wants to win more than anything. The reason they don't care what the fans think is the same reason adults don't listen to high school kids advice on relationships. We just don't have the knowledge or expertise to do their job better than them.

The owner is a little different. Mike Brown wants to win, but he wants to win his way to prove that he was right all along.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 01:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every head coach on the NFL has a huge ego and wants to win more than anything.  The reason they don't care what the fans think is the same reason adults don't listen to high school kids advice on relationships.  We just don't have the knowledge or expertise to do their job better than them.

The owner is a little different.  Mike Brown wants to win, but he wants to win his way to prove that he was right all along.

Spot on for the most part. Now this doesn't mean coaches never get it wrong or that fans are never right, but yeah I can see HCs having that mentality...and with good reason. With Mike Brown, I partially think he stubbornly wants to prove he was right, but I also think winning is just a secondary priority to him. Because of what happened to his father 50+ years ago, he's made it his life mission to be overly loyal to coaches. To give them the support he feels his father never got from Modell.

Little did we know, the very thing that enabled the Bengals to exist (the firing of Paul Brown) would come to be the thing that hindered them for 3 decades and counting. In a 26 year span with 0 playoff wins, Mike has fired exactly 2 head coaches. That's unbelievable. The only coach he fired in a timely manner was DlCK Lebeau. Dave Shula was given so much leash that he was able to break the record for quickest to 50 losses. Coslet quit when he should've been canned, and obviously Marvin has had at least 3 points where a reasonable organization would've fired him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 10:56 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Bingo!  And not to mention that the bulk of his money comes through television contracts.  Contracts that are negotiated on behalf of the entire league.  It is literally impossible for him to lose money.  Other franchises are worth more, but those franchises also own their stadiums, practice facilities, etc.  All things that Mike refuses to invest money in.

I have no doubts that Mike would like to win, but have always thought that doing so his way was the most important thing.  Imagine the gall it takes to have failed for the last 26 years and still do things the same way... no thought of a General Manager, expanding the scouting department, being more active in free agency, etc. Nope, just keep doing what you're doing because you've convinced yourself that you somehow know better than the rest of the league.

The Bengals have't won a single playoff game since the start of modern free agency. Whether it's being cheap...Whether it's wanting to do things their own way and resist using free agency...Whether it's some combination.

EVERY NFL Team has won a playoff game since the Bengals last did.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 01:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The owner is a little different. Mike Brown wants to win, but he wants to win his way to prove that he was right all along.

And that's the problem. He's proven he can't.

Most owners have an ego that won't allow them to ignore public perception and they have pride (or whatever word you want to substitute) that won't allow them to stand pat for long when things are not going good.

Mike Brown has neither of those.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 02:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And that's the problem. He's proven he can't.

Most owners have an ego that won't allow them to ignore public perception and they have pride (or whatever word you want to substitute) that won't allow them to stand pat for long when things are not going good.

Mike Brown has neither of those.

And doing things his way is building through the draft and minimally using free agency.

The dirty secret is that our players leave in free agency...and our drafting isn't that great.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 07:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: As i just posted in another thread, the owner of the Cincinnati Bengals does not care, not even the smallest amount, about you, your opinion of him, his team or coaches, nor anyone's opinion about his team. 

The only thing that matters is the profit.

As long as you continue to care about the Bengals, buy tickets and merchandise and invest your time and emotions, you are enabling Mike Brown to continue to operate the way he does. With no regard to how you feel about it. 

Your apathy is the only thing that can change this.

honestly don't care what any of you think of mike brown... ill continue to support the bengals as ive always have.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 02:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Spot on for the most part. Now this doesn't mean coaches never get it wrong or that fans are never right, but yeah I can see HCs having that mentality...and with good reason. With Mike Brown, I partially think he stubbornly wants to prove he was right, but I also think winning is just a secondary priority to him. Because of what happened to his father 50+ years ago, he's made it his life mission to be overly loyal to coaches. To give them the support he feels his father never got from Modell.

Little did we know, the very thing that enabled the Bengals to exist (the firing of Paul Brown) would come to be the thing that hindered them for 3 decades and counting. In a 26 year span with 0 playoff wins, Mike has fired exactly 2 head coaches. That's unbelievable. The only coach he fired in a timely manner was DlCK Lebeau. Dave Shula was given so much leash that he was able to break the record for quickest to 50 losses. Coslet quit when he should've been canned, and obviously Marvin has had at least 3 points where a reasonable organization would've fired him.

He fired Wyche too......then called it a resignation.  That deal was why they didn't speak for years.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote