Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster moves: Prince back from IR, Mike Thomas waived
(11-23-2022, 02:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not saying Carman is good, but Prince was straight trash last year.
He and Adeniji would have been my first two gone if I'm looking for guys to replace.
I'd like for the Bengals to keep Scharping as depth/competition for Volson after this year.
Then Bengals can draft an OT early to groom behind Williams and/or Collins, and maybe a C in the mid-to-late rounds to compete with Hill for backup duties.
Agree 

Yet Bengals early picks will hinge on if they can re-sign Hurst, Bell, Perine, Pratt, Apple and if they're ok with Dax's progression to replace Bates. 

Personally always want to go O-line early but they may not see this as being their biggest need depending on who is lost in FA. Especially if Bates and Bell leave together. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 05:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As uninspiring as the return of Isaiah Prince to the active roster sounds, the Bengals have been using a 3rd tackle on some packages lately and having some measured success with it.

Might be a bigger deal than it looks with Prince coming back, he is a big dude that can be used on Jumbo packages.

Good move on waiving Thomas BTW, Irwin deserves that spot.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 03:00 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree 

Yet Bengals early picks will hinge on if they can re-sign Hurst, Bell, Perine, Pratt, Apple and if they're ok with Dax's progression to replace Bates. 

Personally always want to go O-line early but they may not see this as being their biggest need depending on who is lost in FA. Especially if Bates and Bell leave together. 

They'll easily run out of their $45 mill cap space if they re-sign all those guys you listed.
Some of them will have to be allowed to walk and take the gamble on some draft picks backfilling them.

Dax Hill was a 1st rounder. He's getting his 1 year of grooming this year.
Gotta slot him in as the starter next year and move on from Bates or Bell.

While Hurst has been solid, I think he'd a good candidate to be replaced by an early-round draft pick. Or at least a draft pick to take Sample's TE2 spot.

As for Apple, Bengals drafted CTB to be his eventual replacement as the starter opposite Awuzie. At least that's how I have always viewed it.
If Apple does get retained, it should be for cheap like it was this year.

Moving on from Mixon should help open up $7 mill in cap if the Bengals need that extra cap. It might be needed to retain some of these other guys and/or sign a good starter at another position.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 07:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They'll easily run out of their $45 mill cap space if they re-sign all those guys you listed.
Some of them will have to be allowed to walk and take the gamble on some draft picks backfilling them.

While Hurst has been solid, I think he'd a good candidate to be replaced by an early-round draft pick. Or at least a draft pick to take Sample's TE2 spot.

As for Apple, Bengals drafted CTB to be his eventual replacement as the starter opposite Awuzie. At least that's how I have always viewed it.

Moving on from Mixon should help open up $7 mill in cap if the Bengals need that extra cap. It might be needed to retain some of these other guys and/or sign a good starter at another position.

I don't think I'm going to far out on a limb to say this is likely Mixon's last season in stripes.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 07:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't think I'm going to far out on a limb to say this is likely Mixon's last season in stripes.

Agreed.

And while Mixon does have a good amount of receiving yards (already tied for most yards in a season for him), he's only 16th in the league in total yards from scrimmage.
11 RBs are ahead of him, including the following who make (much) less than Mixon APY:
Barkley
Ekeler
Etienne
Jacobs
Stevenson
Pollard

And for those curious, Mixon is actually tied for 4th in the entire league in the number of touches - 199.
So he's getting plenty of opportunities.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 07:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't think I'm going to far out on a limb to say this is likely Mixon's last season in stripes.

Said this all off season and nobody really agreed, now it seems popular opinion. Same will happen with Higgins next year, but doubt not many will agree with that prediction either. 

But RB's and WR's are the easiest positions to find in the draft for cheap production imo. The Bengals are going to need lots of cheap production starting next year when Wilson, Awuzie, Jonah, Reader and Burrow are all FA and Chase and Hubbard are on deck.

Point being not sure this draft will be O-line heavy at all, which is scary but all current O-linemen are inked for a few years still.  

Believe Bates will be the Safety the Bengals move on from this year, but that does not guarantee that Bell will stay if somebody is willing to pay more than the Bengals can offer.  Or if they cut Mixon and someone pays up for Perine and he is lost. Would try and sign Perine this year actually.

It gets dicey after this year on who to keep and who to move on from. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 07:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed.

And while Mixon does have a good amount of receiving yards (already tied for most yards in a season for him), he's only 16th in the league in total yards from scrimmage.
11 RBs are ahead of him, including the following who make (much) less than Mixon APY:
Barkley
Ekeler
Etienne
Jacobs
Stevenson
Pollard

And for those curious, Mixon is actually tied for 4th in the entire league in the number of touches - 199.
So he's getting plenty of opportunities.

Only 2 of those guys are not on rookie contracts. But they're deals do seem like steals comparatively. I would doubt they move on from Mixon. But some kind of restructuring would be good to free up money to go around.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 09:36 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Only 2 of those guys are not on rookie contracts. But they're deals do seem like steals comparatively. I would doubt they move on from Mixon. But some kind of restructuring would be good to free up money to go around.
I could see that.

Mixon was re-signed because they wanted some kind of continuity with Burrow and he was one of the few Bengals that wanted to be here pre-Burrow. They also knew that his numbers would be much better with an improved o-line. This may be the best o-line that he's played for as a pro and it is still very much a work in progress at best.

Re-structure Mixon and extend Perine. Use your draft to shore up other positions right now. LB and RB are pretty solid, no real need for draft picks yet.

Orrrrrrrrr . . .

I can also see cutting Mixon, using a valuable high draft pick on another RB and this being an Edgerrin James replacing an established star in Marshall Faulk type of situation as the new stud RB walks into a seasoned veteran QB with a lot of years ahead of both playing together.

And please re-sign Hurst. I think that he's the best TE that they've had in years. He's way better than CJ ever was and he's probably better than Gresham, who should have shined more than he did.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 10:28 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: And please re-sign Hurst. I think that he's the best TE that they've had in years. He's way better than CJ ever was and he's probably better than Gresham, who should have shined more than he did.

Wut?

I like Hurst a lot, but Gresham was a 2x Pro Bowler who could both catch and block.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 02:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not saying Carman is good, but Prince was straight trash last year.
He and Adeniji would have been my first two gone if I'm looking for guys to replace.
I'd like for the Bengals to keep Scharping as depth/competition for Volson after this year.
Then Bengals can draft an OT early to groom behind Williams and/or Collins, and maybe a C in the mid-to-late rounds to compete with Hill for backup duties.

I was the biggest Adeniji hater prior to this season, but he has more than held his own at tackle this year. Much much better than D Smith.  

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 07:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They'll easily run out of their $45 mill cap space if they re-sign all those guys you listed.

The first year of a re-signing is usually the most cap friendly with prorated signing bonuses, so there is a chance they resign multiple guys.

We are definitely losing a starting safety - listening to Bates recent comments it will be him.

Not many rookie TEs come in and contribute immediately. Hoping Hurst doesnt ask for too much.

Agree with Apple as well. 

Moving on from Mixon is not a normal Bengals move, I can see it in 2024 much more than before next season.

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2022, 12:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wut?

I like Hurst a lot, but Gresham was a 2x Pro Bowler who could both catch and block.

He also had many drive killing, boneheaded penalties. That's something he never grew out of while in Cincinnati.

And I remember that his blocking took quite awhile before he was effective in the NFL. He didn't stay in to block on many passing downs and was often manhandled by smaller LBs in the running game. Eifert coming in changed his approach and dedication to blocking. If Eifert had more than one full season, I would've stopped there, but I still consider Greshem better than Eifert only because of health because that dude was amazing as a receiver.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2022, 01:30 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: He also had many drive killing, boneheaded penalties. That's something he never grew out of while in Cincinnati.

And I remember that his blocking took quite awhile before he was effective in the NFL. He didn't stay in to block on many passing downs and was often manhandled by smaller LBs in the running game. Eifert coming in changed his approach and dedication to blocking. If Eifert had more than one full season, I would've stopped there, but I still consider Greshem better than Eifert only because of health because that dude was amazing as a receiver.

Gresham had all the tools to be one of the best ever, could block, catch, and was a great runner after catching the ball as well. 

But dude had butterfingers and fumbled a lot it seems, usually while fighting for extra yards, but still a fumble. 

Hated that too because I was always a fan of his. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2022, 01:45 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Gresham had all the tools to be one of the best ever, could block, catch, and was a great runner after catching the ball as well. 

But dude had butterfingers and fumbled a lot it seems, usually while fighting for extra yards, but still a fumble. 

Hated that too because I was always a fan of his. 

Yeah, I had forgotten about those.

Thanks LOL

I was excited when he was drafted because the best TE that Palmer had thrown to at that point was probably Matt Schobel. Little did I know that Greshem's rookie year would be Palmer's and Chad's last year in Cincinnati and they would have to do a complete overhaul with rookies Dalton and Green along with a bunch of #4 and #5 WRs.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 05:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Might be a bigger deal than it looks with Prince coming back, he is a big dude that can be used on Jumbo packages.

Good move on waiving Thomas BTW, Irwin deserves that spot.

Yessir, we give Zac Taylor a ton of crap for questionable play calling around here, but from what I can see he is not above adapting and trying different things when what he originally wanted to do isn't working.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2022, 01:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yessir, we give Zac Taylor a ton of crap for questionable play calling around here, but from what I can see he is not above adapting and trying different things when what he originally wanted to do isn't working.

For sure. Think we will see some interesting schemes and play calls out of the playbook coming up. Should be fun.

Zac seems to save certain plays for later in the year.
Reply/Quote