Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Tannebuam Thinks Sewell Is "Necessary" And "Easy"
I have to agree.

If we stay at 5 and no OL have been picked... you take the best one from a class that is supposed to be a great class of OL.

It’s really not complicated. We have our stud QB. Make our team better by protecting him and fixing our disastrous OL that has been the weak spot on our offense for years.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:13 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-comps-ole-miss-wr-elijah-moore

He gets compared in this article to Brandin Cooks, Emmanuel Sanders, DeSean Jackson and Tyler Lockett.

So.. two slot receivers in Cooks and Lockett and two guys who play on the outside in Jackson and Sanders.

What I don't get is people say don't take this guy or that guy... he is a slot and we need outside... but meanwhile...

"Ja'Marr Chase to me is just a slam dunk … He just has everything. First off, he has the ability to be an elite slot receiver." NFL analyst Chris Simms.

How many 5'7 and 5'8 guys play outside in the NFL and are successful?  I'll wait?   Enough said.   Cooks and Lockett are bigger than those guys you proved my point for me.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 02:26 AM)tms Wrote: Meh, I've been following the kid since long before his pro day. He has everything but elite athleticism. 6'3, durable, playmaker, fearless across the middle, soft hands, great footwork and awareness. Some guys just look like football players. He's definitely one. 

We have enough WR's who have a hard time getting seperation we don't need to add to it.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 03:43 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I have to agree.

If we stay at 5 and no OL have been picked... you take the best one from a class that is supposed to be a great class of OL.

It’s really not complicated. We have our stud QB. Make our team better by protecting him and fixing our disastrous OL that has been the weak spot on our offense for years.

Exactly...  Rock On
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 11:38 AM)pulses Wrote: We have enough WR's who have a hard time getting seperation we don't need to add to it.

That's not the only skill for being a receiver. And speed isn't the only way to create separation. Guys like Coxie are clean out of their breaks, know how to use their head and pad level to turn DBs' hips, and excellent on 50/50 balls. 

It's absurd to dismiss any R6 prospect on account of his 40 time. The game is more nuanced than that.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 02:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Dude was a former GM, so I respect his opinion.  I was starting to lean towards the Chase train but this helped me remember that our #1 priority should be to keep Burrow upright.

From TheSpun

Chase would give Burrow a great weapon to work with and they could cause some damage, but Sewell's confidence there got me fired up and reminded me that Burrow's so good that he can make stars out of average receivers, but he can't do that from his back.  

I also believe there's receivers that we could get later that could make a difference, like Nico Collins or Anthony Schwartz.

Do we take Sewell?

I agree with this now, Sewell looked too good at his Pro Day for me. This was my deciding factor in the end. Pollack working with
him cemented the pick for me. Love Chase but he isn't a sure thing either and yes, there ARE good WR's that could be great after 
Chase. I like Nico, also love Tylan Wallace, Eskridge, Darden and yeah Schwartz has great speed. Tamarrion Terry in the 5th would 
be a nice grab who reminds me of Chris Henry.

We also need pass rushers after the first too. I am going to do my first Mock of 2021 tonight after work and it starts with Sewell. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 02:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree with this now, Sewell looked too good at his Pro Day for me. This was my deciding factor in the end. Pollack working with
him cemented the pick for me. Love Chase but he isn't a sure thing either and yes, there ARE good WR's that could be great after 
Chase. I like Nico, also love Tylan Wallace, Eskridge, Darden and yeah Schwartz has great speed. Tamarrion Terry in the 5th would 
be a nice grab who reminds me of Chris Henry.

We also need pass rushers after the first too. I am going to do my first Mock of 2021 tonight after work and it starts with Sewell. Rock On

Looking forward to your mock!

Pollack working with him also got me excited because Pollack knows what he's doing and having an interest in a guy means Pollack will be invested in helping him develop.  Hopefully (most likely), Pollack is already making plans on what he needs to work on to help Sewell fine-tune his game and be a perfect fit in what Pollack wants to do.

I'd LOVE for us to get Nico and he's being overlooked because he opted out of this season.  Back in August, I remember McShay (I think it was McShay but I'm brain damaged) projecting him as a top 20 pick, but then he opted out and now he's a 3rd round prospect, which seems stupid to me.  

Michigan never had a quarterback that could get him the ball but he's an absolute stud.  He'd give Burrow the deep threat he needs and he also ability to take any reception to the house.  He also makes contested catches.

Nico is PERFECT for us.  Take him in the 3rd.

I've also been big on Schwartz

Agree on pass rushers.  Let's bring some excitement to our D!
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 02:35 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Looking forward to your mock!

Pollack working with him also got me excited because Pollack knows what he's doing and having an interest in a guy means Pollack will be invested in helping him develop.  Hopefully (most likely), Pollack is already making plans on what he needs to work on to help Sewell fine-tune his game and be a perfect fit in what Pollack wants to do.

I'd LOVE for us to get Nico and he's being overlooked because he opted out of this season.  Back in August, I remember McShay (I think it was McShay but I'm brain damaged) projecting him as a top 20 pick, but then he opted out and now he's a 3rd round prospect, which seems stupid to me.  

Michigan never had a quarterback that could get him the ball but he's an absolute stud.  He'd give Burrow the deep threat he needs and he also ability to take any reception to the house.  He also makes contested catches.

Nico is PERFECT for us.  Take him in the 3rd.

I've also been big on Schwartz

Agree on pass rushers.  Let's bring some excitement to our D!

Yeah, Nico is also 6'4" and this WR class kind of dries up on tall speedy Receivers after Marshall and him. 

Nico in the 3rd sounds awesome.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 11:37 AM)pulses Wrote: How many 5'7 and 5'8 guys play outside in the NFL and are successful?  I'll wait?   Enough said.   Cooks and Lockett are bigger than those guys you proved my point for me.

Off the top of my head outside and under 6 foot and successfull

Randall Cobb

Golden Tate

The already mentioned Emmanuel Sanders 

T.Y. Hilton

DeSean Jackson

Steve Smith

And for the start of his career Antonio Brown.

If the guy has special talent, being 5'10 isn't  a big difference to a guy who is literally only 6'0"

This would be different if it was like Green who is 6'4" vs a 5'10" guy but literally saying a guy at 5'10" can't but 6 foot flat is fine?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I just wanted to toss this out here as well.

Again, not arguing for or against any player at any pick, just an honest observation.

People talk about this draft like we have to get this type or that type of WR, what we actually need is just talent at the WR position. When we are running the 4 WR sets, that leaves two guys in the slot position. If we run the bunch formation we like to run, who is the slot and who is the outside guy in that formation?

We are most likely going to get 2 WRs in this draft. If you take a "slot" guy at 38 because he is the BPA it doesn't mean you can't find a guy in the later rounds to address your proto-typical want for an over 6 foot WR.

And don't forget, we run more 4 WR sets then anything, so if you draft Moore or Moore then you literally have Higgins, Boyd on one side and Moore, Tate on the other. Not exactly horrible...

Plus don't sleep on Josh Imatorbhebhe as a 5th or 6th round pick to be the other WR in the offense.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 02:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Nico is also 6'4" and this WR class kind of dries up on tall speedy Receivers after Marshall and him. 

Nico in the 3rd sounds awesome.

Forgot to mention that he's 6'4 but yeah that excites me.  His height was a factor in the contested catches I mentioned.

Giving Burrow a 6'4 guy that's a downfield threat and big play threat just gets me excited and has me thinking of players like Randy Moss and T.O. in his prime, which I'm not saying that he'll be as good as those two, but I think Nico and Burrow can be as good of a deep ball combination as Carson and Slim, RIP.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:27 PM)tms Wrote: That's not the only skill for being a receiver. And speed isn't the only way to create separation. Guys like Coxie are clean out of their breaks, know how to use their head and pad level to turn DBs' hips, and excellent on 50/50 balls. 

It's absurd to dismiss any R6 prospect on account of his 40 time. The game is more nuanced than that.

It is but their will be better options there than him.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 03:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Off the top of my head outside and under 6 foot and successfull

Randall Cobb

Golden Tate

The already mentioned Emmanuel Sanders 

T.Y. Hilton

DeSean Jackson

Steve Smith

And for the start of his career Antonio Brown.

If the guy has special talent, being 5'10 isn't  a big difference to a guy who is literally only 6'0"

This would be different if it was like Green who is 6'4" vs a 5'10" guy but literally saying a guy at 5'10" can't but 6 foot flat is fine?
I said 5'7 or 5'8  specifically. Most guys that small are not very successful in the league that's a fact. Their are a few exceptions. All of the guys you mentioned above are much bigger than 5'7 or 5'8 so your point is moot.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 05:01 PM)pulses Wrote: I said 5'7 or 5'8  specifically. Most guys that small are not very successful in the league that's a fact. Their are a few exceptions. All of the guys you mentioned above are much bigger than 5'7 or 5'8 so your point is moot.

Ummmm... Elijah Moore is 5'9" same exact height as Steve Smith... so you have made no point with the 5'7" or 5'8" comment... 

Golden Tate 5'10"

Antonio Brown 5'10"

I mean... one whole inch... is such a massive difference between them.

And Steve Smith, was without doubt one of the best WRs in the game at 5'9" and he was a monster on the outside.

So, good luck with that lame ass argument of saying he's too short.

Reply/Quote
When was the last time the Bengals drafted a WR under that 5'11 threshold.... Mario Alford? Before that I'm blanking ummm Craig Yeast back in 98 or 99?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 04:58 PM)pulses Wrote: It is but their will be better options there than him.

In R6? I disagree. Vehemently. I think he's exactly the type of player that you target R5-7. You're not plugging holes in the lineup at that point, much less addressing individual traits like speed. On Day 3, you seek talent that you can develop into something more. Those guys won't be the focal points or appreciably change the look of your offense anyway.

And the more important point is that guys like Coxie play faster than they test- which is why you don't see his 4.77 on the field (and why Ross' 4.22 was false advertising). Players' use of their hands, eyes, size, technique and positioning can create space and save substantial time, even if they can't be measured in the gym.

If you can't tell, I'm over guys like Mike Mamula, Darius Heyward-Bey and Robert Gallery. There's something to be said for analytics, but they're hardly the only factor.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 05:38 PM)Synric Wrote: When was the last time the Bengals drafted a WR under that 5'11 threshold.... Mario Alford? Before that I'm blanking ummm Craig Yeast back in 98 or 99?

Yeah it isn't really a Bengal thing but people saying that the Moore's won't be successful in the NFL over their height is annoying.

If you can play... you can play.

My top two WR targets haven't changed. Dyami Brown and Cornell Powell. Both will be excellent weapons in this offense and have the ability to get open, strong hands, and run good routes.

If they took Rondale or Elijah Moore though, I would be excited to see what type of production they could get out of them. I remember watching Gio on screens and such get lost in the scrum because of being short and then he just popped out the other side and took off. Sometimes being small and hard to see is an advantage.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 05:16 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Ummmm... Elijah Moore is 5'9" same exact height as Steve Smith... so you have made no point with the 5'7" or 5'8" comment... 

Golden Tate 5'10"

Antonio Brown 5'10"

I mean... one whole inch... is such a massive difference between them.

And Steve Smith, was without doubt one of the best WRs in the game at 5'9" and he was a monster on the outside.

So, good luck with that lame ass argument of saying he's too short.

No lame ass excuse those are a VERY FEW out of how many that were good. Which is my point. So you know what you can do with the restThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 05:41 PM)tms Wrote: In R6? I disagree. Vehemently. I think he's exactly the type of player that you target R5-7. You're not plugging holes in the lineup at that point, much less addressing individual traits like speed. On Day 3, you seek talent that you can develop into something more. Those guys won't be the focal points or appreciably change the look of your offense anyway.

And the more important point is that guys like Coxie play faster than they test- which is why you don't see his 4.77 on the field (and why Ross' 4.22 was false advertising). Players' use of their hands, eyes, size, technique and positioning can create space and save substantial time, even if they can't be measured in the gym.

If you can't tell, I'm over guys like Mike Mamula, Darius Heyward-Bey and Robert Gallery. There's something to be said for analytics, but they're hardly the only factor.

Jaelon Darden Johnathon Adams and  Dazz Newsome and Josh Imatorbhebhe

just to name a few later on I would much rather have than Coxie.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 06:14 PM)pulses Wrote: No lame ass excuse those are a VERY FEW out of how many that were good. Which is my point. So you know what you can do with the restThumbsUp

Reality... how many guys at that height get drafted or even play well in college.

So when you find a guy that is 5'9" and plays at that high of a level in a power 5 conference you have to accept he is special.

It's just narrowminded people who want to be like... he's not 6'4" he can't play outside. Again.. Ja'Marr Chase is "listed" at 6'0". Would like to see what he would have been measured at the combine not his Pro Day.

If he comes in at 5'11" I'm pretty sure everyone would be like... "oh no worries, short guys can succeed outside" but since it doesn't back your argument stance... short guys can't do it.

If you can play, you can play. That's it. 

Reply/Quote