Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mike Tomlin Doesn't Get It
I'm surprised to read something negative about the Steelers, especially from one of their own fanbase's media outlets, but they make it sound like Tomlin's just losing the locker room. He lets star players be late to practices or games or miss out on conditioning tests. He actually sounds worse than Marvin, but we haven't heard about it because it's typically considered unholy to condemn anything about the Steelers in the media.

Check this out:

Quote:Sadly, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin just doesn’t get it, and nor does his team captain. Former Steeler James Harrison recently suggested that as a means for improving the team’s discipline and its focus on football that all of its players, stars and backups alike, should be held equally to team standards.

Mike Tomlin said in reference to Deebo’s comments that “he’s entitled to his opinion” and the comments were “soap opera stuff” that reporters might consider but were apparently beneath his notice.

Even his responses seem like Marvin responses, just not saying much of anything and avoiding addressing anything with any substance.

Quote:In defending Tomlin regarding Harrison, team captain Cam Heyward, an All-Pro defensive lineman, said that anyone who feels slighted by unequal treatment should “work harder.”

In my opinion, the point that Deebo tried to make did not concern the effect of unequal treatment of those held to tougher standards. It’s the reverse.

Tomlin’s habitual and longstanding practice of making allowances and exceptions for his star players and core veterans has allowed them to expect being granted future allowances and to expect Mike’s continued indulgences with their missed practices, late arrivals to practice or games, disruptive or negative behaviors, social media stupidity, and seemingly weekly dramas that bleed the team’s focus away from upcoming games.

It’s gotten to the point that Tomlin’s favorites seem to assume that such behaviors are their right rather than evidence of their immaturity and selfishness. Mike’s excusing of multiple starters from running in this year’s training camp conditioning test was a perfect example. If the coach thinks the only point of a conditioning test is to test conditioning, he’s mistaken.

The Marine Corps also has a conditioning test for new recruits at boot camp, and no one is excused. The reason? Yes, they want to test conditioning, but they also aim to instill a team identity in 60-odd strangers from all 50 states and do it fast. So everyone suffers, and everyone knows it. The Marine Corps understands there’s no “I” in team, but Mike Tomlin apparently does not.

Tomlin’s team, therefore, has a lot of “I’s” and it’s shown not only through frequent past episodes of negative publicity and weekly dramas, but also – whether Mike and his favorites will admit it – in 10 years of failed team goals despite having rosters stuffed with stars and future Hall of Famers.

I have no doubt that Steelers Nation supports and appreciates Coach Tomlin, as do I. Nonetheless, fans can fault Mike’s team management and wish he’d change and yet still be fans of Mike Tomlin and the Steelers.

Has the team lost an identity? Can they reach where they want to be under Tomlin and playing with no team unity?
Reply/Quote
He'll still beat the Bengals twice this year and 95% of Bengal fans would trade Marvin for Tomlin 8 days a week and thrice on Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 06:07 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: He'll still beat the Bengals twice this year and 95% of Bengal fans would trade Marvin for Tomlin 8 days a week and thrice on Sunday.

Nah I don’t trust anyone that wears sunglasses 24 hours a day.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 01:20 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:   He actually sounds worse than Marvin, but we haven't heard about it because it's typically considered unholy to condemn anything about the Steelers in the media he has never had a losing season, is always a threat to make a deep playoff run and won a Super Bowl.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Hilarious

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
TBH, it's tough dealing with players. Specially those who have had success. I only say that cause I relate with others and once success is reached, entitlement sets in and makes a very manageable situation get unmanageable.

As for what SBiz wrote? I would not trade MT for ML in a second. I don't like either one of them. Although, in Marvin's defense? I think he's been recently uncuffed by the old bald guy in the FO. So, umm, a better coach might actually take the field this year. We shall see.

Oh Crap! This is smack! Were going to kill you guys this year and you suck! LOL...

No really, we are. HEHE.

I'm serious.

No BS.

Just Die! Well, not you guys, the steelers. Wait, cant do that, couldn't live with myself.

YOU SUCK!

Reply/Quote
Shoulda given Ramon Foster preferential treatment.

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 08:33 PM)6andcounting Wrote: blah blah blah

I didn't know three seasons at .500 were considered acceptable to Steelers fans these days.

Beat the Cardinals in the Super Bowl because Warner committed a HUGE QB sin and threw to the middle of the field at the goal line (on first down, no-less).  The Cardinals still almost won that game.  They were the better team and the Steelers got lucky, just like they did in the '05 playoffs, but that was before Tomlin.

Always a threat to make a deep playoff run?  Even in those seasons that they didn't make the playoffs?  Explain that one to me if you get a chance.

Fact of the matter is that Tomlin has been an average coach, at best, and has underachieved with rosters stacked with talent.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 09:16 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I didn't know three seasons at .500 were considered acceptable to Steelers fans these days.

Beat the Cardinals in the Super Bowl because Warner committed a HUGE QB sin and threw to the middle of the field at the goal line (on first down, no-less).  The Cardinals still almost won that game.  They were the better team and the Steelers got lucky, just like they did in the '05 playoffs, but that was before Tomlin.

Always a threat to make a deep playoff run?  Even in those seasons that they didn't make the playoffs?  Explain that one to me if you get a chance.

Fact of the matter is that Tomlin has been an average coach, at best, and has underachieved with rosters stacked with talent.

Three seasons at .500 isn't great, but Cowher actually had three losing years, while Tomlin has never finished below .500.  Here's the thing: In the cap era, no team (save for maybe the Patriots) has been immune to slumps.  It's kind of built into the system.  I don't know how the Pats do it, but they are definitely the exception to the norm.  In comparison to every other coach who's been in the game a while (again, except for Belichick), Tomlin's three .500 records in 11 years stacks up pretty well.  Among active coaches, only Belichick and Sean McVay have a better career winning percentage, and McVay hasn't really been around long enough for his sample size to be reliable.

As for discrediting the Super Bowl win, you are incredibly myopic.  You see everything that could be argued against the Steelers, but you ignore everything in their favor.  For example, Warner may have made a bad decision, but you ignore the possibility that he was lured into it.  And you also ignore the incredible team effort at blocking that made it possible for Harrison to score.  Not to mention the drive at the end of the game, Holmes' amazing catch, and the sack/fumble to seal the deal at the end, among other things.  You can't just point to one play and say "they were outplayed and didn't deserve to win".  They absolutely played well enough to win, and most of your fellow Bengal fans would agree on that point. You're just too blind to see it. 

You're technically right that they don't 'always' threaten to go deep in the playoffs, but 1) I think that was hyperbole, and 2) they're closer to it than every other team but the Patriots …

Tomlin won't go down as one of the greatest of all time, I'll grant you that.  He has clearly been outclassed by Belicheck and maybe a few others.  But he is definitely above average.   
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 09:16 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I didn't know three seasons at .500 were considered acceptable to Steelers fans these days.

What does this have to do with losing seasons?

The Cardinals still almost won that game.

Oh No

They were the better team and the Steelers got lucky, just like they did in the '05 playoffs, but that was before Tomlin.

As opposed to those really unlucky teams that have won the Super Bowl over the years

The AFC has literally been Ben, Brady or Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl for the last 15 years, with the exception of 1. As long as 1 of those 3 is our qb we are a Super Bowl threat.

Well, I guess this is more agreeable than "worse than Marvin", but with a media conspiracy coverup.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 07:11 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Three seasons at .500 isn't great, but Cowher actually had three losing years, while Tomlin has never finished below .500.  Here's the thing: In the cap era, no team (save for maybe the Patriots) has been immune to slumps.  It's kind of built into the system.  I don't know how the Pats do it, but they are definitely the exception to the norm.  In comparison to every other coach who's been in the game a while (again, except for Belichick), Tomlin's three .500 records in 11 years stacks up pretty well.  Among active coaches, only Belichick and Sean McVay have a better career winning percentage, and McVay hasn't really been around long enough for his sample size to be reliable.

As for discrediting the Super Bowl win, you are incredibly myopic.  You see everything that could be argued against the Steelers, but you ignore everything in their favor.  For example, Warner may have made a bad decision, but you ignore the possibility that he was lured into it.  And you also ignore the incredible team effort at blocking that made it possible for Harrison to score.  Not to mention the drive at the end of the game, Holmes' amazing catch, and the sack/fumble to seal the deal at the end, among other things.  You can't just point to one play and say "they were outplayed and didn't deserve to win".  They absolutely played well enough to win, and most of your fellow Bengal fans would agree on that point. You're just too blind to see it. 

You're technically right that they don't 'always' threaten to go deep in the playoffs, but 1) I think that was hyperbole, and 2) they're closer to it than every other team but the Patriots …

Tomlin won't go down as one of the greatest of all time, I'll grant you that.  He has clearly been outclassed by Belicheck and maybe a few others.  But he is definitely above average.   

Lured into it?!  Are you insane?!  Did you even watch the play?  Warner took the snap, rose up, looked directly at the receiver, paused a fraction of a second, and threw.  How is that being lured into throwing it?  He stared down his receiver from the snap and threw it right to Harrison.

As for team blocking, it wasn't exactly "incredible" and was just something that every team would do.  They pretty much just had to run down the field, get in the opponents' way, and Harrison made cuts based off of that.

Holmes did make a good catch.

Tomlin has underachieved with the rosters that he has had.  
Reply/Quote
[Image: fa39944d17dc01656af7b548be10af43--nfl-me...-memes.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 11:59 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Lured into it?!  Are you insane?!  Did you even watch the play?  Warner took the snap, rose up, looked directly at the receiver, paused a fraction of a second, and threw.  How is that being lured into throwing it?  He stared down his receiver from the snap and threw it right to Harrison.

As for team blocking, it wasn't exactly "incredible" and was just something that every team would do.  They pretty much just had to run down the field, get in the opponents' way, and Harrison made cuts based off of that.

Holmes did make a good catch.

Tomlin has underachieved with the rosters that he has had.  

Harrison was supposed to blitz. Two games earlier the Chargers lined up in that same formation in the red zone and the Steelers audibled to the same all-out blitz. Receiver in the left slot caught a wide open touchdown.

Since the Cardinals watched film, they line up in the same formation, Warner watches the Steelers audible to the same blitz and threw the slant to the left slot receiver.. But it didn't end in a wide open touchdown.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 03:25 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: fa39944d17dc01656af7b548be10af43--nfl-me...-memes.jpg]
Shiny Lombardi's aluminate our rooms.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 07:11 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Three seasons at .500 isn't great, but Cowher actually had three losing years, while Tomlin has never finished below .500.  Here's the thing: In the cap era, no team (save for maybe the Patriots) has been immune to slumps.  It's kind of built into the system.  I don't know how the Pats do it, but they are definitely the exception to the norm.  In comparison to every other coach who's been in the game a while (again, except for Belichick), Tomlin's three .500 records in 11 years stacks up pretty well.  Among active coaches, only Belichick and Sean McVay have a better career winning percentage, and McVay hasn't really been around long enough for his sample size to be reliable.

Tomlin is a cheerleader. He doesn't belong in the same breath as Belichick. No losing seasons for Cowher with Ben under center. No losing seasons for Tomlin with Ben under center. 

See the correlation?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 09:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Tomlin is a cheerleader. He doesn't belong in the same breath as Belichick. No losing seasons for Cowher with Ben under center. No losing seasons for Tomlin with Ben under center. 

See the correlation?

Exactly.  

Along with Ben, he has the best receiver and best back in the game and still can't win another Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 11:59 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Lured into it?!  Are you insane?!  Did you even watch the play?  Warner took the snap, rose up, looked directly at the receiver, paused a fraction of a second, and threw.  How is that being lured into throwing it?  He stared down his receiver from the snap and threw it right to Harrison.

You should be banned for the sheer number of times that you get things wrong. You should at least be embarrassed, but you keep coming back for more.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 09:40 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: You should be banned for the sheer number of times that you get things wrong. You should at least be embarrassed, but you keep coming back for more.

Damn NFL wont let you watch the clip outside of YT and you lose the placement when you click over to YT.

Skip to 2:15 and 3:00 if you want to be made a fool of (again). 
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 07:17 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Shiny Lombardi's aluminate our rooms.

Illuminate*

Also, which room is yours in the Steelers complex?

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 09:44 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Damn NFL wont let you watch the clip outside of YT and you lose the placement when you click over to YT.

Skip to 2:15 and 3:00 if you want to be made a fool of (again). 

Have you ever played quarterback?  I from my first year of football (3rd grade) until the end of my freshman year.  Do you know who the only read for a quarterback is on a slant route?  It's the linebacker(s) on the strong side because no corner is going to be playing inside enough to stop the slant route.  Guess who Warner didn't read?  The STRONG SIDE LINEBACKER.  Who made the interception?  STRONG SIDE LINEBACKER.

Especially near the goal line because typically a safety is too far back to make a play on a slant, but they're not even in the game down there.  You could argue that the guy covering the inside receiver could have made the play, but Warner didn't check him, either.  Warner STARED down the receiver from the snap to the throw.  

Tell me how that's making a great play and not something a five-year-old could anticipate just by looking at Warner and thinking "oh, he's going to throw the ball right where he's staring!"  Even the Steelers player they interviewed said he realized that he couldn't make the blitz (which he's in the shotgun on the goal line, it's not rocket science that he won't have the ball long enough for you to get pressure) so he just fell back, and then Warner threw it right to him after telegraphing what he was doing.  He made a common sense play, not a great play.

You keep digging yourself in deeper by being wrong again and again.
Reply/Quote