Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Mike Zimmer
(01-10-2022, 03:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Had this defense still mimicked what he and Guenther ran, I'd be completely cool with that. Zimmer could run an upper-tier defense.

Unfortunately, Anarumo has changed this defensive look so much now that it could be multiple years to get it back to the way Zimmer would want/need to run it.

Exactly.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It really depends on the structure of the coaching staff at the end of the season.

I think at this point, Taylor has shown he had a plan. If he wants Zimmer and feels he adds to the staff, cool, I'm all for it. Zimmer is a good defensive coach and perhaps like other really good DC's, just isn't meant to be a head coach?

If there isn't a place for him on the staff, I'm pretty sure he won't have trouble finding a gig.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I think Lou had top 5-8 defense for a while but it seems they are willing to give up yards and stop the run (with exception of Browns game). I think it would not hurt to bring Zim back in case Lou is provided a HC job somewhere.

If the Bengals make a run, the OC and DC will be candidates for HC on some teams, at least on the short list.

I don't know for sure but I think Zim may have some health issues.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
As someone else said, I would have no problem bring Zim into the fold in some capacity. LB coach, DB coach, consultant, or whatever. Yes the team has spent substantial money on the defense, but they were much improved over last season. So unless Lou leaves on his own, keep Lou and add Zim to his staff if Zim is willing.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 04:02 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Lou had top 5-8 defense for a while but it seems they are willing to give up yards and stop the run (with exception of Browns game).  I think it would not hurt to bring Zim back in case Lou is provided a HC job somewhere.  

If the Bengals make a run, the OC and DC will be candidates for HC on some teams, at least on the short list.  

I don't know for sure but I think Zim may have some health issues.

Part of what has hurt the defensive rankings is playing some good offenses in the second half of the season.
Bengals allowed 21+ points to every team after the Bye week other than the Steelers, Broncos, and Raiders.

Interestingly enough, I (think I) had predicted that Anarumo's defense would improve somewhat compared to last year, but not be Top 10.
Earlier in the year when it was Top 10, I was impressed and surprised, but ultimately it ended up about where I expected.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 04:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Part of what has hurt the defensive rankings is playing some good offenses in the second half of the season.
Bengals allowed 21+ points to every team after the Bye week other than the Steelers, Broncos, and Raiders.

Interestingly enough, I (think I) had predicted that Anarumo's defense would improve somewhat compared to last year, but not be Top 10.
Earlier in the year when it was Top 10, I was impressed and surprised, but ultimately it ended up about where I expected.
I think losing Wilson for some games hurt, and easing Bailey into a role has some growing pains.  But also, DJ Reader may be most important player on DL, he sets the stage for the D IMO.  Losing Ossai really hurt.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 04:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think losing Wilson for some games hurt, and easing Bailey into a role has some growing pains.  But also, DJ Reader may be most important player on DL, he sets the stage for the D IMO.  Losing Ossai really hurt.  

Well Ossai wasn't here for the whole season, so that wouldn't have factored into difference between 1st half and 2nd half of the season.
I agree though that the LB performance especially has dropped off between now and first month or so.

I look forward to seeing Ossai add some pass rush to the team next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
One of our best coordinators ever. Hope he finds another gig soon. The game's better with him in it. Great coach.
Reply/Quote
Some coaches are just better suited staying as Offense/Defensive Cooridinators…like Lebeau and Josh McDaniels. Zim maybe falls into that category and he’d be an instant upgrade over Lou’s bend, bend, bend, defense. We are way too loaded on defense to not be top 10. Get complacent and we end up with another Bresnahan where our offense is constantly having to score every drive. At leave Bresnahan’s defense seemed better at takeaways.
Reply/Quote
Lou helped turn Chidobe Awuzie into one of the best CB’s in the league. He also resurrected the career of Eli Apple.

Both were obviously huge, as we got absolutely nothing out of our big money acquisition in Trae Waynes.

Reply/Quote
Would not replace Lou with Zimmer just to be doing so

but if Lou left for greener pastures and the Bengals needed a DC, then heck yes.

Would take Zimmer as a GM though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Always liked Zimmer & wish him luck but this is Lou's job to lose at the moment.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 03:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why?

Because in the playoffs, Zimmer teams gave up an average of 24 pts, 166 yds rushing and 380 total yards per game. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 05:31 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Because in the playoffs, Zimmer teams gave up an average of 24 pts, 166 yds rushing and 380 total yards per game. 

Yeah, I was coming here to say something along those lines. He gave this team some much needed defensive swagger in the regular season, but he was out coached in every Bengals playoff game he was involved with.

Thanks, but no thanks.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I think I heard a rumor that Lou is a prospect for a HC job. If so.. then yes bring back Zimmer. If not, keep Lou.
I feel like we are a couple of free agents and a decent draft away of being a top 5 in all categories.
I don't know what is wrong with our ST unit (return game)... ST was always reliable.
Ever since Pacman retired, our return game is just awful
Reply/Quote
I think it's up to Zack Taylor to decide what fits with his scheme the best. Anarumo's defense improved this season but I think it was still too inconsistent. If Zimmer would be open to a defensive consulting gig I think he could help the game planning and talent scouting.
Reply/Quote
Its a moot conversation, Lou is going nowhere..

If he didnt get shown the door last season he definitely wont after this year..
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 03:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why?

Lou has one of the best defenses that money can buy.  Here are players Bengals have signed for him.

Hendrickson..$15 million per year
Reader...........$13 million 
Hubbard........$10 million
Awuzie..........$ 7 million
Ogunjobi.......$ 6.2 million
Hilton............$ 6 million
Bell...............$ 6 million

And here are the results

Points allowed.....17th
Yards allowed......18th
Pass rating...........18th
Yds/play...............21st
3rd down%.........22nd
Id Just liike to note that If we all cant agree that Pro Sport Contracts are alarmingly out of control based on this small sample size than geez..
Not gonna go into the actualities of the standards for most living and working everyday just to pay their heating bill ..
Its becoming to me abit of a turn off to actually support Teams/Athletes regardless of how much we enjoy the games and competition
Reply/Quote
Guess I Debbie Downered that
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 07:02 PM)Spider Wrote: Id Just liike to note that If we all cant agree that Pro Sport Contracts are alarmingly out of control based on this small sample size than geez..
Not gonna go into the actualities of the standards for most living and working everyday just to pay their heating bill ..
Its becoming to me abit of a turn off to actually support Teams/Athletes regardless of how much we enjoy the games and competition

They are paid based on what fans spend on the NFL.  In a capitalist society that is how it works.  We can't stop people from making millions of dollars.  All we can do is adjust the tax laws so that people who make more contribute more to the stability and safety of the country.
Reply/Quote