Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Zimmer Should Be THE Example
(12-15-2020, 08:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And that's all with a 'normal' organization.

then he should be doing better by your point
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 10:33 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: then he should be doing better by your point

He probably is doing better there than he'd do here.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 08:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And that's all with a 'normal' organization.

If Freud psychoanalyzed Mike Brown he would have given up psychology and become a hard core drunk.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 07:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Zimmer is 64 years old with a 58% winning record and a losing playoff record as a HC. I'd hope we'd aim a little higher.

This.

I like Zimmer, and appreciate what he did here, but people on this board hype him to almost mythical proportions.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 10:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This.

I like Zimmer, and appreciate what he did here, but people on this board hype him to almost mythical proportions.

Well we can hope they aim higher, but smart money's on Zac returning. If they do can him I'd imagine his replacement will be another up and comer (guy you've never heard of) who's an assistant on one of the Super Bowl teams this year... They're so damn lazy.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 10:46 PM)jason Wrote: Well we can hope they aim higher, but smart money's on Zac returning. If they do can him I'd imagine his replacement will be another up and comer (guy you've never heard of) who's an assistant on one of the Super Bowl teams this year... They're so damn lazy.

They're destined to waste Burrows rookie contract with Zac.

Zac will go 6-10 and his 3 supporters will be like Told you so!

Analysts said the Bengals would ruin Burrow. 2.5 wins in 10 games a catastrophic knee injury isnt exactly proving them wrong.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 10:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This.

Seems to be a common feeling with the number of views I've seen wanting Gruden, Zimmer, Hue and even Marvin to return.  This truly is a very tortured fanbase.  We don't even know what's good for us.  "Just bring mediocrity!  At least we know what we had!"  

We need a shot in the arm.  Taylor could have been it.  And he wasn't.  Time for the next try.  Bring it on.  But please, for the love of god, do not bring in a retread that we know will be mediocre and not take us to the glory land just because "we know what we're getting."  
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 09:09 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Is that the alien farmer guy from Men in Black?

Sure looks like a bug in an Edgar suit to me.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 02:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals’ Front Office needs to fire every coach and coordinator with extreme prejudice as soon as possible.  Every single one of these underperforming lunkheads have coached our players down, not up.

When Mike Zimmer was hired in 2008 it should have provided the template for all future hiring in Cincinnati.  Mike was all business, nobody’s  buddy, and he taught the defense physical play along with superb technique. A 2012 story from Vontaze Burfict cemented my opinion on this issue.  

During training camp in 2012, Vontaze called his mother in California to let her know how his first few weeks in the NFL were going. “Coach Zimmer!” exclaimed Vontaze. “Mama, that man scares me to death.”

Mama Burfict was wise beyond her years.  “Vontaze,” she answered.  “That’s the kind of man you want to play for.  You do everything he says and he’ll make you great.”

I saw Coach Zimmer in action at training camp many times.  He wasn’t mean but he was extremely demanding.   You see, that’s the goal: Zero error football.  Vince Lombardi once said the team which makes the least mistakes wins and right now the coaching staff in Cincinnati is letting too many things slide.  

Right now the Bengals are making too many basic fundamental mistakes on the field and I put 95% of this on abysmal coaching.  Let’s use the Zimmer template and hire no-nonsense coaches and coordinators at all positions.

When the coaching staff itself is overflowing with mistakes it's impossible for them to correct player mistakes.

They see no flaws in their schemes or actions.

Reply/Quote
So here's something interesting that came out from the latest Hear that Podcast Growlin' podcast. Dehner said that Zimmer is viewed as the "one who got away" within the organization. There's still some frustration that he didn't become the HC here.

Dehner believes that Zac probably sticks for year 3, but there will be a major shakeup to the staff. However, if Minnesota decides to let Zim go, then he believes the Bengals will wave bye to Zac and go hard to bring in Zim as HC.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 10:36 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If Freud psychoanalyzed Mike Brown he would have given up psychology and become a hard core drunk.

No shit. I just accidentally bumped into him in a Denny’s parking lot, and look what happened to me. Drunk 

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 11:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They're destined to waste Burrows rookie contract with Zac.

Zac will go 6-10 and his 3 supporters will be like Told you so!

Analysts said the Bengals would ruin Burrow. 2.5 wins in 10 games a catastrophic knee injury isnt exactly proving them wrong.

Not true. I''m one of the three, and I've already said he has to have at least 9 wins next year.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 02:24 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: So here's something interesting that came out from the latest Hear that Podcast Growlin' podcast. Dehner said that Zimmer is viewed as the "one who got away" within the organization. There's still some frustration that he didn't become the HC here.

Dehner believes that Zac probably sticks for year 3, but there will be a major shakeup to the staff. However, if Minnesota decides to let Zim go, then he believes the Bengals will wave bye to Zac and go hard to bring in Zim as HC.

I'd be all for Zimmer, always have been. If he came in as HC and still ran the defense, and hired a decent OC, the sky would be the limit.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 08:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: No shit. I just accidentally bumped into him in a Denny’s parking lot, and look what happened to me. Drunk 

Denny's seems a little too fancy for Mike's taste.  I wonder what he was celebrating?   Sad
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 11:18 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Seems to be a common feeling with the number of views I've seen wanting Gruden, Zimmer, Hue and even Marvin to return.  This truly is a very tortured fanbase.  We don't even know what's good for us.  "Just bring mediocrity!  At least we know what we had!"  

We need a shot in the arm.  Taylor could have been it.  And he wasn't.  Time for the next try.  Bring it on.  But please, for the love of god, do not bring in a retread that we know will be mediocre and not take us to the glory land just because "we know what we're getting."  

If Taylor was the OC of a successful offense in college or the Pro's...I think he could have been a shot in the arm.

He literally had no success outside of being a QB coach...and his success there is even debateable. Goff had already taken his jump when he became QB coach in LA. I guess Tannehill had a good year with him in Miami.

The dude just got a lot of opportunities because he was Mike Shermans son-in-law.

It would be like hiring a salesman to sell Cadillacs...err this is the Bengals so Oldsmobile's when their previous job was selling Encyclopedia's door to door and they had terrible sales numbers and were fired. But, the salesman was young and his/her boss was very successful.
Reply/Quote
Zimmer and Parcells are good friends still. I always felt that some of our good drafts when Zimmer was here had to do with Parcells giving him advice on players. Who knows?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 02:24 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: So here's something interesting that came out from the latest Hear that Podcast Growlin' podcast. Dehner said that Zimmer is viewed as the "one who got away" within the organization. There's still some frustration that he didn't become the HC here.

The Vikings play the Bears next, and that's going to be a key game for Zimmer. If they lose to the Bears, then they'll be 3-5 at home this year and could realistically end up 6-10 on the season. I think that game will go a long way in determining Zimmer's future. 

The idea of bringing Zac back, when he's likely to finish 4-27-1, is still mind boggling to me, even though it shouldn't be considering this franchise. Allowing a HC to come back for a 3rd year with a 2 year record that bad is unheard of during the SB era unless you're an 1960's/70's expansion team or the mistake by the lake.
Reply/Quote
When I originally posted this I should have issued a disclaimer because several posters seem to have misinterpreted my line of thinking. In no way was I suggesting the Bengals re-hire Mike Zimmer. Rather, my thinking is the Front Office use his hiring in 2008 as a template for hiring future coaches and coordinators: Experienced, a proven record of success, and a brilliant communicator.
Reply/Quote

There were similar reports a few years ago about Jay Gruden.
Reply/Quote
I don't feel like keeping Zac and changing assistants will work. He was an offensive genius supposedly and he has been terrible at playcalling. He should go.
Reply/Quote