Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Zimmer Should Be THE Example
The Cincinnati Bengals’ Front Office needs to fire every coach and coordinator with extreme prejudice as soon as possible. Every single one of these underperforming lunkheads have coached our players down, not up.

When Mike Zimmer was hired in 2008 it should have provided the template for all future hiring in Cincinnati. Mike was all business, nobody’s buddy, and he taught the defense physical play along with superb technique. A 2012 story from Vontaze Burfict cemented my opinion on this issue.

During training camp in 2012, Vontaze called his mother in California to let her know how his first few weeks in the NFL were going. “Coach Zimmer!” exclaimed Vontaze. “Mama, that man scares me to death.”

Mama Burfict was wise beyond her years. “Vontaze,” she answered. “That’s the kind of man you want to play for. You do everything he says and he’ll make you great.”

I saw Coach Zimmer in action at training camp many times. He wasn’t mean but he was extremely demanding. You see, that’s the goal: Zero error football. Vince Lombardi once said the team which makes the least mistakes wins and right now the coaching staff in Cincinnati is letting too many things slide.

Right now the Bengals are making too many basic fundamental mistakes on the field and I put 95% of this on abysmal coaching. Let’s use the Zimmer template and hire no-nonsense coaches and coordinators at all positions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2 From your keyboard to God's ears!

Damn, that would be nice.

Young, energetic innovative demanding coaches.

But ,of course a demanding HC with experience... Wink
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
The front office would NEVER hire a HC with his demeanor. Never. They value passive guys that go with the flow.

I'd say that Lou and Turner have fiery personalities. They just apparently don't communicate or teach. Yelling and swearing at guys to play better only scales so far.

We need a HC who can come in and install a structure here. One that creates processes that make players a little better each day. One that creates a culture of accountability where the best players play. One that creates competition in practice.

Then, we need 2 good coordinators that can teach X's and O's and call the right plays at the right time on gameday.

Get those things and we can win.
Reply/Quote
See what current Margus Hunt had to say about Coach Zimmer, would love him back here to coach!

if the link doesn't show properly its at the 42:04 mark..
Established in 1993 Bengal Jim's "Before the Roar" is the longest running tailgate to support the Cincinnati Bengals.

Tune in LIVE at 8pm eastern every Tuesday for our weekly Bengals show! 

Check out our YouTube page at:
[Video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC12ZcOwQDXreLIkrcdjmbVwl]
Reply/Quote
Zimmer is the ultimate Home run I wouldn't mind giving up our 4th Rd pick for him to the Vikings.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 02:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The front office would NEVER hire a HC with his demeanor. Never. They value passive guys that go with the flow.

I'd say that Lou and Turner have fiery personalities. They just apparently don't communicate or teach. Yelling and swearing at guys to play better only scales so far.

We need a HC who can come in and install a structure here. One that creates processes that make players a little better each day. One that creates a culture of accountability where the best players play. One that creates competition in practice.

Then, we need 2 good coordinators that can teach X's and O's and call the right plays at the right time on gameday.

Ever hear of Forrest Gregg? Forrest was a Paul Brown hire so maybe the current front office wouldn't but Paul Brown did.
(12-15-2020, 02:46 PM)J24 Wrote: Zimmer is the ultimate Home run I wouldn't mind giving up our 4th Rd pick for him to the Vikings.

Sadly I don't think Zimmer never comes back to Cincinnati, we had our chance and let him leave.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 02:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The front office would NEVER hire a HC with his demeanor. Never. They value passive guys that go with the flow.

Not only that, but there is a pretty decisive trend out there that players begin to tune out guys like that after a few short years.  Harbaugh was known for being that way and although there always seems to be an initial uptick in performance, the long term success isn't there.  That is one reason why they say guys like Harbaugh and Brian Kelly are better college coaches.

If I could design a coach, I would want someone that had the following characteristics:  (I put them in order of most important to least important...all are important to me, but you see what I am saying)

1.)  Innovative-  I think players want to play for a coach that isn't overly complex, but they feel like their coach can outsmart the other team in key moments of situational football.

2.) Communicative- I could have said "Be a good instructor", but was looking for one word.  I want my coach to be able to clearly communicate what he wants from his coaches and players.  Someone that is a genius but can't convey their vision is worthless.

3.) Aggressive-  This is a big one for me.  I want a coach that will take chances, that will try to deliver the proverbial knockout blow.  A coach that doesn't let the other team dictate everything to them, but forces a team to respond to what he is doing.  I think players really love playing for a more aggressive-minded coach.  

4.) Connected-  I want a coach that has connections throughout the college and pro ranks that has always visualized his staff.  A team of coaches with one goal that can have healthy conflict and discussions.  

5.) Humorous-  People might laugh at this one (pardon the pun), but I love a little humor to make the toughest days better and I think people at all levels enjoy working for someone that can provide a little levity at times.  I don't care if he only shows it to his team (Belichek), but it is something I would enjoy if I was building  a perfect coach.

Who is that coach?  I have no idea.  I actually like Jay Gruden, but I haven't scoured the assistant coaches and the college ranks to know a premier candidate, but that is what I would be looking for in my next HC.  
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 03:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not only that, but there is a pretty decisive trend out there that players begin to tune out guys like that after a few short years.  Harbaugh was known for being that way and although there always seems to be an initial uptick in performance, the long term success isn't there.  That is one reason why they say guys like Harbaugh and Brian Kelly are better college coaches.

If I could design a coach, I would want someone that had the following characteristics:  (I put them in order of most important to least important...all are important to me, but you see what I am saying)

1.)  Innovative-  I think players want to play for a coach that isn't overly complex, but they feel like their coach can outsmart the other team in key moments of situational football.

2.) Communicative- I could have said "Be a good instructor", but was looking for one word.  I want my coach to be able to clearly communicate what he wants from his coaches and players.  Someone that is a genius but can't convey their vision is worthless.

3.) Aggressive-  This is a big one for me.  I want a coach that will take chances, that will try to deliver the proverbial knockout blow.  A coach that doesn't let the other team dictate everything to them, but forces a team to respond to what he is doing.  I think players really love playing for a more aggressive-minded coach.  

4.) Connected-  I want a coach that has connections throughout the college and pro ranks that has always visualized his staff.  A team of coaches with one goal that can have healthy conflict and discussions.  

5.) Humorous-  People might laugh at this one (pardon the pun), but I love a little humor to make the toughest days better and I think people at all levels enjoy working for someone that can provide a little levity at times.  I don't care if he only shows it to his team (Belichek), but it is something I would enjoy if I was building  a perfect coach.

Who is that coach?  I have no idea.  I actually like Jay Gruden, but I haven't scoured the assistant coaches and the college ranks to know a premier candidate, but that is what I would be looking for in my next HC.  

Although I'm still really high on guys like Bieniemy and Smith - think both could be very good head coaches - the guy who is really got my attention right now is Robert Saleh. He brings a lot of attributes to the table. The more I learn about him and watch how he coaches, interacts with his players...the more I think he might be an ideal candidate for what the team needs right now, and would fit really well in the AFC north. I know most are assuming the Lions have the inside track since he is from Michigan, but if the Bengals do fire Zac, I would love to see them go all out for Saleh. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 03:04 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Ever hear of Forrest Gregg? Forrest was a Paul Brown hire so maybe the current front office wouldn't but Paul Brown did.

Sadly I don't think Zimmer never comes back to Cincinnati, we had our chance and let him leave.

Paul Brown was successful. The current FO isn't really.

One of the reasons Zimmer got passed over for years for a HC job was he was considered brash and outspoken.

The management team: MB, Troy, Katie, and Duke supposedly speak with Zac daily. Do you think that Zimmer would do that and take suggestions from them?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 04:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Paul Brown was successful. The current FO isn't really.

Unfortunately, the current front office has this Paul Brown:

[Image: 636366688213825250-072517-BROWN-FAMILY-2...&width=640]

Whatever
Reply/Quote
Zimmer is a solid coach but i see him like Marvin... both good capable coaches but as a whole have underachieved with the talent they had overall. Yes Zimmer has two playoff wins (one a total fluke) but 2-3 in playoffs and has not made the playoffs back to back seasons yet.

If we move on the Taylor, I would go with a more offensive mind for Burrow than Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 04:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Unfortunately, the current front office has this Paul Brown:

Whatever

Every time I see those pics I think the Kmart blue light special version of PB.  And we all know what happened to Kmart...
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 03:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not only that, but there is a pretty decisive trend out there that players begin to tune out guys like that after a few short years.  Harbaugh was known for being that way and although there always seems to be an initial uptick in performance, the long term success isn't there.  That is one reason why they say guys like Harbaugh and Brian Kelly are better college coaches.

Yep. And I'd add Organized and Structured as the coach will need to build a system - Practice, gameplanning, etc. from the ground up.

With Zacs history, doing all of that was just too much to expect. He was so far in over his head, that he didn't realize it. Honesty, the Bengals would be doing him a favor firing him...and I feel like Zac realizes that.
Reply/Quote
Don’t know why we have all these post on new head coaches. We all know Zack is going no where. Although it is nice to dream that the FO would value winning over loyalty and nice guys. What if they had a HOF category for nicest and loyalist HC.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 05:17 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Don’t know why we have all these post on new head coaches.  We all know Zack is going no where.  Although it is nice to dream that the FO would value winning over loyalty and nice guys.  What if they had a HOF category for nicest and loyalist HC.

Yeah...I'd say IF he loses out, 60% chance he's back.

IF he manages to win a game somehow...probably 90% chance.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 05:17 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Don’t know why we have all these post on new head coaches.  We all know Zack is going no where.  Although it is nice to dream that the FO would value winning over loyalty and nice guys.  What if they had a HOF category for nicest and loyalist HC.

We have to have something to believe in... A ray of hope in these dark times...

Dont you take that away..!!!!
Reply/Quote
Zimmer is 64 years old with a 58% winning record and a losing playoff record as a HC. I'd hope we'd aim a little higher.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 07:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Zimmer is 64 years old with a 58% winning record and a losing playoff record as a HC. I'd hope we'd aim a little higher.

And that's all with a 'normal' organization.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 04:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Unfortunately, the current front office has this Paul Brown:

Whatever
Is that the alien farmer guy from Men in Black?
Reply/Quote
Brown family runs the show, period. Everyone else is only a paid puppet. Similar to Dallas, but without the trophy case.
Reply/Quote