Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military Will Be Used To Protect Border
https://www.dailywire.com/news/29014/breaking-trump-says-military-will-be-used-protect-ryan-saavedra

Glad to see some movement. Mexico is a massive problem for us and we need to take measures to block that border. Hopefully this leads to even more done at the border and to punish Mexico.

Quote:BREAKING: Trump Says Military Will Be Used To Protect Border
Developing...

Ryan SaavedraApril 3, 2018

MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images
On Tuesday, President Donald Trump told reporters that he will use the military to guard the Southern Border against a “caravan” of illegal immigrants making their way north to the U.S.

“We are going to be guarding our border with our military. That’s a big step,” Trump said, according to The Washington Times.

“We cannot have people flowing into our country illegally, disappearing, and by the way never showing up for court,” Trump continued. “If it reaches our border, our laws are so weak and so pathetic … it’s like we have no border.”

The Times reports that Trump had been speaking with Defense Secretary Jim Mattis about the possibility of deploying the military to the border to strengthen border security.

“The caravan doesn’t irritate me, the caravan makes me very sad that this could happen to the United States,” Trump added. “President Obama made changes that basically created no border. It’s called ‘catch-and-release.’ Almost nobody comes back to court, and they’re in our country. The laws created by Democrats are so pathetic and so weak.”

WATCH:

This is a breaking news story, check back for updates...
Buzz Killington to come in and say that this will have legal hurdles regarding the use of military for domestic law enforcement purposes and will likely not ever come to pass because of them. No posse comitatus for us!
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-03-2018, 03:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Buzz Killington to come in and say that this will have legal hurdles regarding the use of military for domestic law enforcement purposes and will likely not ever come to pass because of them. No posse comitatus for us!

The reserves can be used. Also this is a national defense issue.
(04-03-2018, 03:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Buzz Killington to come in and say that this will have legal hurdles regarding the use of military for domestic law enforcement purposes and will likely not ever come to pass because of them. No posse comitatus for us!

I could easily see the National Guard being activated to fulfill such duties. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-03-2018, 03:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The reserves can be used. Also this is a national defense issue.

It's enforcing domestic policy, which means it would violate the Posse Comitatus Act. It must have congressional approval in order for it to occur. Now, the governor of the state can activate their NG units and enforce their laws, the statute does allow for that, but it does not allow for the POTUS to take this action, reserves or active duty.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-03-2018, 03:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I could easily see the National Guard being activated to fulfill such duties. 

It's my understanding that decision would rely on the governors of the respective states, not the POTUS.

(04-03-2018, 03:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's enforcing domestic policy, which means it would violate the Posse Comitatus Act. It must have congressional approval in order for it to occur. Now, the governor of the state can activate their NG units and enforce their laws, the statute does allow for that, but it does not allow for the POTUS to take this action, reserves or active duty.

I'm hoping that you're incorrect or there's some kind of loop-hole we can use.

I don't think it would be enforcing domestic policy because it's just trying to protect our people form a foreign country.

I also believe that Posse Comitatus can be overruled by Congress.
(04-03-2018, 03:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's my understanding that decision would rely on the governors of the respective states, not the POTUS.

Pretty sure POTUS can activate the Guard. It's just matters who pays the bill. 

Hopefully the military has enough manpower left over to actually track down and prosecute the people who knowingly lure these dangerous illegals into our country just so they don't have to hire actual American citizens.
As to the matter at hand; the premise is stupid. We are talking a handful of folks coming from Honduras. Most will seek asylum in Mexico (BTW, how shitty is your Country is Mexico is a dream destination), and those that do not are to cross are legal immigration points.

(04-03-2018, 04:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the matter at hand; the premise is stupid. We are talking a handful of folks coming from Honduras. Most will seek asylum in Mexico (BTW, how shitty is your Country is Mexico is a dream destination), and those that do not are to cross are legal immigration points.

So NOT this?

Can we admit that Trump really is clueless yet?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-03-2018, 04:07 PM)GMDino Wrote: So NOT this?

Can we admit that Trump really is clueless yet?

Trump is not clueless, he knows exactly what he is doing. You don't get elected the the most powerful position in the world by being clueless. 

(04-03-2018, 03:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm hoping that you're incorrect or there's some kind of loop-hole we can use.

I don't think it would be enforcing domestic policy because it's just trying to protect our people form a foreign country.

I also believe that Posse Comitatus can be overruled by Congress.

The laws about unlawful entry are domestic policy, and guarding the border is an enforcement of that law. And yes, Congress can overrule it (I did mention that in my post, that it would require congressional approval), but I doubt he would get it.

(04-03-2018, 03:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pretty sure POTUS can activate the Guard. It's just matters who pays the bill. 

POTUS can activate the Guard, but not for the enforcement of domestic policy. The reason for this is because the bill focuses on the funding. Essentially, without Congress giving the money specifically for the action, the POTUS cannot use military funds to enforce domestic policy. If POTUS activates the Guard, then those are federal funds going to that action, which would then be in violation of the PCA. The governor is able to because those are not federal funds.

(04-03-2018, 04:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Trump is not clueless, he knows exactly what he is doing. You don't get elected the the most powerful position in the world by being clueless. 

He does know what he's doing, I'll admit that.  Part of me is baffled how so many people in this country can be spitting mad/pissing scared that dangerous illegals are entering the country, yet so enamored by a man who proudly lured those very rapists into this country in the first place so he could NOT hire real Americans.

It's completely nucking futs up in here!  Honestly, how do right-wingers square this up in their mind?  A guy who provided your enemy with asylum and funding after enticing them to enter your country illegally is your ally.  Am I missing something here?  I must be.  Things simply can't be this insane.
(04-03-2018, 04:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: POTUS can activate the Guard, but not for the enforcement of domestic policy. The reason for this is because the bill focuses on the funding. Essentially, without Congress giving the money specifically for the action, the POTUS cannot use military funds to enforce domestic policy. If POTUS activates the Guard, then those are federal funds going to that action, which would then be in violation of the PCA. The governor is able to because those are not federal funds.

If you say so. Let's just say we read Title 10 of the U.S. Code differently.

(04-03-2018, 04:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Trump is not clueless, he knows exactly what he is doing. You don't get elected the the most powerful position in the world by being clueless. 

Yet he gets basic facts wrong, misunderstands how government works and constantly misstates facts.

"not clueless"

Got it.
(04-03-2018, 04:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yet he gets basic facts wrong, misunderstands how government works and constantly misstates facts.

"not clueless"

Got it.

I really don't think you do; nor, do I hold out hopes of you ever doing so. 

(04-03-2018, 04:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yet he gets basic facts wrong, misunderstands how government works and constantly misstates facts.

"not clueless"

Got it.

The guy knows how to get elected, because getting elected is "selling something" which he can do (due in no small part to the fact that he was born super rich and consumers aren't very wise, admittedly).  But again, lots of crappy things are successful, so it's not a slam dunk to say he's a winner because he won.

Trump is like the Snuggie.  It's one of those ideas that you see and think "Who the hell would buy this?" and then you turn around and see a bazillion were sold.  You have to respect the fact that the snuggie got sold, but it still looks like junk to me.  Ah well, majority rules...well, bad example with Trump because of that 3 million voter snag, but you know what I mean.
(04-03-2018, 04:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I really don't think you do; nor, do I hold out hopes of you ever doing so. 

Oh, I get that some are willing to simply overlook everything to support the Reublican POTUS.  Even those who admit there is not a "huge caravan" like Trump said.  Clearly I think I do get it.

But..."if you say so."   Mellow

Smirk
(04-03-2018, 04:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you say so. Let's just say we read Title 10 of the U.S. Code differently.

Well, that may be because I am basing this off of the legislation passed in 1879, which created Title 18, Section 1385, which prohibits posse comitatus. Though, there is also Section 375 of Title 10, which prohibits anyone from SoD on down from engaging in it, just in case Title 18 and the PCA weren't clear enough.