Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minter and Bengals linebackers
(08-13-2017, 09:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thomas Howard comes to mind.

R.I.P 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 06:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Foster looks great im coverage for the 49ers. Just saying . But whar do we stupid fans know.  Minter still an upgrade over 58 at least

And which of our draft picks would you have used to take him?  Just saying.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 10:17 PM)PDub80 Wrote: WTF???

Hawk, Dansby, and Minter weren't touted as saviors in the least. They were vets brought in to fill gaps, that's it.

- Burfict is one of the best LBs in the NFL and has been since he stepped onto the field.

- The Bengals play with 2 LBs on the field most of the time. One of them is top 3 in the NFL (Burfict) when it comes to 4-3 LBS and probably a top 3 to 5 LB in general among all players.

- The Bengals have drafted several guys who have had injury issues or haven't panned out. They're trying. Flowers, Dawson, and Sean Porter come to mind.

- Vigil looks to be what the Bengals are needing at LB in terms of reliable, smart, athletic.

- Lawson is a rush LB to do that job.

^ What else are they supposed to have done? I think the players are there on the roster to be a great LB corps. Other guys have gotten hurt or have been bad (Dawson). Have there been many FA LBs who have made a big difference anywhere?

Maybe "saviors" was the wrong word but there were plenty of people ecstatic about "bringing Hawk home" and plenty thought Dansby would be WAY better than he was. I didn't, I was apprehensive at best. And I feel the same way about Minter. I never get overly excited about FA linebackers because, as you already pointed out, they rarely make a huge splash. Other teams are letting them go for a reason.

I never said they haven't tried to draft LB's, obviously they have. But they haven't tried with a player like Foster since Maualuga. We do have one of the best LB's in the league in Burfict, and Vigil has a lot of potential to be great as well. I'd just rather have Foster in there over Minter, but maybe that's just me.

For the record, I am HAPPY with the Ross pick. As I said, I thought he'd have been gone before pick #9. I wouldn't change a thing about the draft because it worked out nicely for us. But say Ross had been gone at 9, would you still pass on Foster? I wouldn't... That's all I'm saying. 

But again, I'd love to be wrong and have our current LB core be the best in the league. I just think middle of the pack is best case scenario
Reply/Quote
I noticed Minter seemed to be a little late to the ball on a few plays. Hopefully he's just knocking some off-season rust off.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My thing is he missed 2 tackles in the short time he was on the field. That was the big knock on him in Arizona and why hes on a 1 year prove it deal he misses alot of tackles...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The entire first string defense looked tentative out there. I have to wonder if it isn't part coaching.
Reply/Quote
One drive in the first preseason game....relax.
Reply/Quote
It's concerning they didn't touch Winston and the middle of the field was wide open. The RB's also ran well.

Not what I expected at all really.

Reply/Quote
I think that the missing starting safeties are key. The miscommunication and inexperience playing together hurt them early last year. I would expect the same with Iloka out. I hope and believe that when he and Dre return, the results will be different. I'm not gonna get riled up over a defense that was missing two key starters. Chalk it up to personnel this time.
Reply/Quote
I have high hope for Evans, maybe too high but I think he's going to turn some heads if givin the chance. Thought we had a steal in Dawson, not so much anymore. Hell im still not over Thurman. Damn that guy could have been awesome.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:10 AM)Au165 Wrote: One drive in the first preseason game....relax.

Exactly. I'm all for fair criticism or worry, but we've seen one drive of one preseason game.

Honestly I'm not sure what the panic is about. The defense has been good to great for 8 years now, and the only big issue last year was lack of pass rush. We were solid against the run and among the top 8 teams in INTs, Passer Rating allowed and YPA allowed. I like the speedy young pass rushers we added, and I'm optimistic we'll be improved in the pass rush department. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Everyone knows it's vanilla defense in preseason come on. Seriously.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:10 AM)Au165 Wrote: One drive in the first preseason game....relax.

I agree with this.  There are new parts being incorporated into the lineup, they are going to take a little time to learn each other and work smoothly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 09:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Because not many "speedy" WRs are also "complete" WRs.

There were many GMs and scouts that had Ross as the top WR in the draft. Ahead of the guys that went before him.

I posted links after the draft, but I guess people have Heyward-Bey stuck in their heads and nothing will change that.

Agreed....how the hell is he off to a bad start, right?   Getting a chronic shoulder issue worked on in the offseason was smart.  

John Ross was the biggest offensive playmaker in the draft.....PERIOD.  Scored once every five times he touched the ball.  His 18 TDs weren't all bombs, and if you watch his tape, he was waiting on these so-called deep balls and still caught them while DBs were catching up to him.  

I think Ross is going to be a huge addition to this team and I have been begging for a player like him for some time.  
Reply/Quote
To take it one step further, Minter is new to a defense where he is playing arguably the most important position. My guess is he is slow to react because he is still learning where he needs to be. My guess is as he gets more comfortable he will be faster to the ball.
Reply/Quote
You need to give Kevin Minter a break honestly. He's brand new to this team just this offseason and there are four weeks still until the regular season starts. If he still looks slow to react and all that in the third preseason game, then there's cause for concern.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 05:08 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I thought Minter was over rated by most here. But, that's just my opinion. How many FA LBers have the Bengals signed in their prime during your lifetime?

Purple Rain said Thomas Howard...and there was also Nate Webster, who is in prison now...
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 07:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: And by the way Winston is NOT a good QB - we just left receivers so wide open it was childs play to hit them. Also no QB pressure.

.....getting better by the year.  He's pretty young still, and I think you'll be surprised.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 09:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thomas Howard comes to mind.

I agree with you. So that's one.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 10:43 PM)McC Wrote: And which of our draft picks would you have used to take him?  Just saying.

John Ross. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote