Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minter and Bengals linebackers
In all my years as a fan only 2 LBs are worth a damn. Spikes n Burfict. And Thurman for that one year in 2005.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 02:54 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: In all my years as a fan only 2 LBs are worth a damn.    Spikes n Burfict.     And Thurman for that one year in 2005.

We've had a few "worth a damn" during the Marvin era. Brian Simmons and Landon Johnson immediately come to mind. Also Dhani Jones was perhaps the most under-rated Bengal ever. We missed him the minute he left and we turned the middle over to Maualuga.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 12:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We've had a few "worth a damn" during the Marvin era. Brian Simmons and Landon Johnson immediately come to mind. Also Dhani Jones was perhaps the most under-rated Bengal ever. We missed him the minute he left and we turned the middle over to Maualuga.

Landon Johnson? lol.  Thats when you know its sad.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 12:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We've had a few "worth a damn" during the Marvin era. Brian Simmons and Landon Johnson immediately come to mind. Also Dhani Jones was perhaps the most under-rated Bengal ever. We missed him the minute he left and we turned the middle over to Maualuga.

Which is more of an indictment of Maualuga's play than an endorsement of Dhani's play. At least Dhani could run the defense whereas Maualuga couldn't.

Landon Johnson was quality depth.
Reply/Quote
I actually liked Brandon Johnson better than Landon Johnson.

Landon got buff his last year here and was decent before he went to the Panthers.
Reply/Quote
We're starters in the game long enough to make adjustments? I doubt it
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 05:35 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Yup, mentioned it before. The middle is opposing offenses' sweet spot.  Vanilla defense? Good excuse.

All I could think about in the first half was I wish we had drafted Foster at 9.

LOL I hope Ross turns out to be a stud, cuz I was not impressed with Minter.
Reply/Quote

Did you say Brian "Puddins" Simmons??? How he made the top 50 players is still blowing my mind!!! Softest LBer ever, ever!!!Lol
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 02:57 PM)3wt Wrote: All I could think about in the first half was I wish we had drafted Foster at 9.

I wasn't wowed by Minter either, but hopefully he is still adjusting to a new team. 
Reply/Quote
Minter actually looked decent in the run game and was around the ball. I don't think he's going to be an All-Pro, but I do think he will be an improvement. Plus, it was his first game here.

Burfict is Burfict. You know you're going to get a great LB with him.

Next is Vigil, who many people were high on. And then Jordan Evans. I feel like Evans can help in coverage, but we'll see
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 04:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nate Webster fits the criteria; although, he never really worked out for us, Personally I would also consider Dhani Jones who was only 29 when we signed him. Rashad Jeanty and Brandon Johnson gave us 4 goods years of service. 

Couple other failures were:
Anthony Schlegel
Corey Mays (actually had a good year with KC after we cut him)
Edgerton Hartwell

Dhani Jones had some attributes we very badly needed at the time though: a good, smart signal caller and positive locker room presence. Even though he wasn't a world-beater with his play, he did help our defense be better overall.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 03:38 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Minter actually looked decent in the run game and was around the ball. I don't think he's going to be an All-Pro, but I do think he will be an improvement. Plus, it was his first game here.

Burfict is Burfict. You know you're going to get a great LB with him.

Next is Vigil, who many people were high on. And then Jordan Evans. I feel like Evans can help in coverage, but we'll see

Vigil looked pretty good to me as did Evans. They both do cover a lot of ground and fast!  I think Evans sticks and we shouldn't get all hung up on who's starting because it could be week to week. Lots of playing time.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 04:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Vigil looked pretty good to me as did Evans. They both do cover a lot of ground and fast!  I think Evans sticks and we shouldn't get all hung up on who's starting because it could be week to week. Lots of playing time.

I think Minter and Burfict are penciled in as starters.

However, I see Rey, Vigil, and Evans fighting for that final starting spot.

I also had high hopes for Paul Dawson, and he's been extremely underwhelming. You can ask anyone on these boards, Dawson was my guy in that draft class.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 02:57 PM)3wt Wrote: All I could think about in the first half was I wish we had drafted Foster at 9.

I can't remember the last time we had a capable pass coverage LB. Can anyone remind me?

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 04:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Vigil looked pretty good to me as did Evans. They both do cover a lot of ground and fast!  I think Evans sticks and we shouldn't get all hung up on who's starting because it could be week to week. Lots of playing time.

Love hearing this about both of these guys. Thanks Sandwedge as i wasn't able to see the whole game.

(08-15-2017, 07:55 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I think Minter and Burfict are penciled in as starters.

However, I see Rey, Vigil, and Evans fighting for that final starting spot.

I also had high hopes for Paul Dawson, and he's been extremely underwhelming. You can ask anyone on these boards, Dawson was my guy in that draft class.

Pretty good for Evans to already be competing for a start. Really like this guys range and coverage.

Same on Dawson, was right with you Wolf. Dude just doesn't get it, you have to practice your ass off in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 09:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Pretty good for Evans to already be competing for a start. Really like this guys range and coverage.

Same on Dawson, was right with you Wolf. Dude just doesn't get it, you have to practice your ass off in the NFL.

It's speculation. But I personally believe it's an open battle for that spot. They like Rey as a veteran, but they also like Vigil and Evans showed promise.

Yeppppp. Guy can show up in preseason games. His first year he was amazing. Second year he wasn't as good, but better than people gave him credit for.

It sounds like he isn't a hard practicer/puts the time in. His natural skills work, he just needs to put in the work.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 11:20 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: It's speculation. But I personally believe it's an open battle for that spot. They like Rey as a veteran, but they also like Vigil and Evans showed promise.

Yeppppp. Guy can show up in preseason games. His first year he was amazing. Second year he wasn't as good, but better than people gave him credit for.

It sounds like he isn't a hard practicer/puts the time in. His natural skills work, he just needs to put in the work.

This is why i think Evans will make it, already getting the props Dawson never got in practice.

A Simmons pick to boot.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 03:51 PM)treee Wrote: Dhani Jones had some attributes we very badly needed at the time though: a good, smart signal caller and positive locker room presence. Even though he wasn't a world-beater with his play, he did help our defense be better overall.

People keep forgetting this and also what was going on on the defense when we put Dhani in. Pre-Dhani the front seven were constantly out of position, falling for misdirection plays and taking bad angles to plays. Once Dhani took over setting the front seven that all stopped. It was very similar to what was going on in the secondary before we went and got another cagey vet (Chris Crocker) to "QB" the secondary. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 04:44 PM)McC Wrote: The secondary had one starter on the first drive until Jones went in down in the red zone..

Yes, that drive was ugly, especially the middle of the field.

But, they did keep them out of the end zone and I think, given another drive, they would have tightened it up.

Burfict could have blown up a receiver  that was going across the middle on the first drive. That wouldn't have worked in the regular season. Also, Mike Evans got away with a blatant push off on the long completion to the right side. Hopefully that call doesn't go against us in the regular season but I wont hold my breath.
Reply/Quote
Evans looked better then i thought. Potential there. Rey kinda looked lost. N took bad angles. I need to watch vigil.
Reply/Quote