Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minter will be starting MLB...
(03-24-2017, 11:42 PM)Housh Wrote: Another problem was Gunther told them to play too many yards off on so many plays. How many times was it 3rd and under 5 but we see hour whole secondary beyond the LOS. He took down and distance to the conservative extreme. It came to a point where you could predict when we would blitz AS A FAN. One thing about Zimmer he was a master at knowing when to sneak a safety blitz in on a drive and ALOT of them got sacks. Gunther could make the Seahawks defense look trash I swear bro.

Thius is just not true.

Bengals pass defense was #5 in the league in pass efficiency defense and yards per attempt allowed despite having a less than robust pass rush.

Also funny that you should mention the Seahawks defense because the Seahawks ranked behind the bengals in pass efficiency defense despite having about 30% more sacks than the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 11:42 PM)Housh Wrote: Another problem was Gunther told them to play too many yards off on so many plays. How many times was it 3rd and under 5 but we see hour whole secondary beyond the LOS. He took down and distance to the conservative extreme. It came to a point where you could predict when we would blitz AS A FAN. One thing about Zimmer he was a master at knowing when to sneak a safety blitz in on a drive and ALOT of them got sacks. Gunther could make the Seahawks defense look trash I swear bro.

I will say Burfict helped the cause of getting guys in the right position GREATLY. Flat out we were a different defense with Burfict in. I hope no one forgets that. So him and Minter together is gonna be fun to watch because that's 2 guys who take pride in knowing the playbook in and out AND have the ability to make every tackle or play on the field. Not many teams have a football IQ advantage over us in the linebacking core. Now its a matter of getting the d line solid again like back in the day. Because I trust our secondary to at least not give up big plays

That was definately the case early in the year but after the bye Guenther got it cleaned up for the most part.

Burfict finally getting fit and back in there definately helped.

It is not like Paulie G can't coach a fine game, he can, we have seen it a few times and it was genius.

The Peyton Manning Bronco game a few years back was amazing. I think Paulie is a good coach myself.

Zim was just on another planet. Best DC in the game at the time.

Kind of unfair to compare the two.

But like you said, we add an End like Derek Barnett to Atkins, Billings and Dunlap and this Defense could be great.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 12:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That was definately the case early in the year but after the bye Guenther got it cleaned up for the most part.

Burfict finally getting fit and back in there definately helped.

It is not like Paulie G can't coach a fine game, he can, we have seen it a few times and it was genius.

The Peyton Manning Bronco game a few years back was amazing. I think Paulie is a good coach myself.

Zim was just on another planet. Best DC in the game at the time.

Kind of unfair to compare the two.

But like you said, we add an End like Derek Barnett to Atkins, Billings and Dunlap and this Defense could be great.

Nah,

If the defense becomes anything better than average, it's because a lot of things went the Bengals way in the offseason/Training Camp.

Overall, the defense will be fine. (We better be with all our first round corners.) But not top tier.
Reply/Quote
I like the fact that the acquisition of Minter really helps cover the Bengals intentions for the #9 pick. Some teams now may not see us as likely or needing to take a LB with the #9 pick. That gives us more options.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 01:00 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Nah,

If the defense becomes anything better than average, it's because a lot of things went the Bengals way in the offseason/Training Camp.

Overall, the defense will be fine. (We better be with all our first round corners.) But not top tier.

Nah,

With us finally moving on from Peko, finally adding a LB that can stop the run and cover in Minter and our new
coaches finally setting in this Defense could be top tier. We have been top tier before with Peko and without a LB
like Minter. They were better than average last year, atleast the 2nd half of the season.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 03:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nah,

With us finally moving on from Peko, finally adding a LB that can stop the run and cover in Minter and our new
coaches finally setting in this Defense could be top tier. We have been top tier before with Peko and without a LB
like Minter. They were better than average last year, atleast the 2nd half of the season.

Agreed. The defense started off rough and finished solid. 

8th in points allowed
17th in total yardage

They were great against the pass:

Held opponents to an 83.1 passer rating (5th best in NFL)
11th in pass yards allowed
11th in pass TDs allowed
4th most INTs

But struggled against the run:

21st in rush yards allowed
23rd in yards per attempt allowed
13th in rush TDs allowed

I think with a good addition in the draft, and new guys like Billings, WJ3 and Minter...the defense can easily get back to being a top 8 unit.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 03:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. The defense started off rough and finished solid. 

8th in points allowed
17th in total yardage

They were great against the pass:

Held opponents to an 83.1 passer rating (5th best in NFL)
11th in pass yards allowed
11th in pass TDs allowed
4th most INTs

But struggled against the run:

21st in rush yards allowed
23rd in yards per attempt allowed
13th in rush TDs allowed

I think with a good addition in the draft, and new guys like Billings, WJ3 and Minter...the defense can easily get back to being a top 8 unit.

Way to back me up bro. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Interesting stat line, we were middle of the pack on allowing opposing teams to convert third downs (39.6%). so that part looks meh but not horrid. As to how many third down conversions per game we gave up, it was 5.4 (24th in the league).

Combine this with us allowing the opponent 64.9 plays per game (which is 24th again but then here the number one team allowed 60.3 so the range is not big) and the picture emerges of a defense doing decent on first and second down but struggling on third down.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-plays-per-game
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 06:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: Interesting stat line, we were middle of the pack on allowing opposing teams to convert third downs (39.6%). so that part looks meh but not horrid. As to how many third down conversions per game we gave up, it was 5.4 (24th in the league).

Combine this with us allowing the opponent 64.9 plays per game (which is 24th again but then here the number one team allowed 60.3 so the range is not big) and the picture emerges of a defense doing decent on first and second down but struggling on third down.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-plays-per-game

"We have to be better on 3rd down.".

Excerpt taken from literally every Marvin Lewis press conference.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
what's our record next year is the question.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
So then are we going to go back to being in nickel packages less or is Minter to expect the same workload Maualuga got?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 03:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  We have been top tier before with Peko 

He was one of the big reasons we had a top tier defense.

Or are you one of those people who believes that Denver "does not care about winning"?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 03:05 PM)The_WiseOne Wrote: We could see a whole new team next year with 26 contracts up next year!!!!!
Hell they had a hard time just trying to get six guys under contract this year!!!!
We lost Whitt, Rex, and Zietler and got back Kirkpatrick, Lafell and Peerman
Just go look at the players that are up next year it's scary to think how many more guys we lose in the next two years!!!
We only have five guys under contract by the year 2020!!
Good teams would try to get some of these guys locked up now instead of waiting for them to hit Free Agency!!

Don't you think part of the reason they couldn't pay big this year is because they are capable of looking at next year and seeing who they need to pay??? It's chess, not checkers...
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 08:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He was one of the big reasons we had a top tier defense.

Or are you one of those people who believes that Denver "does not care about winning"?

Peko was a decent run stopper in his time, but he clearly fell off last year and it was definately time to move on.

I believe Billings will be an upgrade.

No, i am not one of those people. That doesn't mean they didn't make a mistake in signing Peko though.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 08:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't you think part of the reason they couldn't pay big this year is because they are capable of looking at next year and seeing who they need to pay??? It's chess, not checkers...

exactly most fans only think of the right now the organization is trying to keep itself competitive and running for the forseeable future. 

And most of the Time HUGELY inflated contracts are not in the long term plans lol.   Bengals will pay out when they feel they should.. AJ Green for example they have more to extend soon as well

But you cant keep everyone. that's why you draft for the future too.  Like Fisher Ob and Westerman.         now injuries happen and draft picks don't always pan out tahts why its generally better to get the next man up on the squad before hes needed to start.      
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 11:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Thius is just not true.

Bengals pass defense was #5 in the league in pass efficiency defense and yards per attempt allowed despite having a less than robust pass rush.

Also funny that you should mention the Seahawks defense because the Seahawks ranked behind the bengals in pass efficiency defense despite having about 30% more sacks than the Bengals.

So the Bengals pass rush was robust, but Michael Johnson is above average? Okay it all makes sense .
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 08:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He was one of the big reasons we had a top tier defense.

Peko fell off a giant cliff last year.  Denver might think they're getting the Peko of two years ago but they'll find out how wrong they are.  Peko is spent, pure and simple.  And don't try and use what he did a few years ago to say otherwise.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 03:49 PM)McC Wrote: Peko fell off a giant cliff last year.  Denver might think they're getting the Peko of two years ago but they'll find out how wrong they are.  Peko is spent, pure and simple.  And don't try and use what he did a few years ago to say otherwise.

I think the altitude of Denver is a terrible fit for him too.

They'll have to use him like 25-30 snaps a game as a run-stuffer.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 08:27 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: So then are we going to go back to being in nickel packages less or is Minter to expect the same workload Maualuga got?
Less nickel defense. We played nicked due to malaluga cant cover anyone in coverage. Mitner can.
(03-27-2017, 08:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't you think part of the reason they couldn't pay big this year is because they are capable of looking at next year and seeing who they need to pay??? It's chess, not checkers...
Dont think we have that many to pay. Burfict/eifert will get extended with rollover money hopefully both so really that just leaves mitner if he plays well. And with a projected 50 million avaliable next year....
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 07:37 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Burfict's heading into a contract year, he came in overweight last year and who knows if the team plans to offer him a decent contract.

Minter will also be a free agent next off season.

By 2018 we could see a whole new set of LBers on this team.

I think the most important thing about the Burfict situation that people miss is the concussion issues he has had, and the clear concussions that he has suffered in a game but hasn't been taken out. His head is almost mush now and honestly if he gts 1 or 2 more he should retire. Now if this doesn't happen, it also looks to be a part of the negotiation process that will happen with Burfict
Reply/Quote