Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minter will be starting MLB...
(03-22-2017, 09:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Glad to see Minter is qoing to make the calls, but I don't see how that's going to work if he's off the field in passing situations.

he can yell "pass" from the sideline
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Why would Minter be off the field? He is a LB that can actually pass defend. I think one reason we did so much Nickel was Maualuga and Vinnie Rey being liabilities in pass defense.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 07:12 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Hobson said the same thing, with Vigil being the SLB and Vigil and Burfict in nickel package.

With him being the mouthpiece, that says a lot in where they think Vigil is or will be.  I would assume Minter will still get a descent amount of reps, especially signing a showcase sort of deal and not being as much of a liability vs the pass.  Vinny should be the 4th guy and I'd bank on them trying to get another versatile LB by the mid rounds with Minter and Burfict's deals expiring.  This years unit has good potential, lets hope they fix the DL so they can make plays.  
Reply/Quote
I just don't see the logic in signing a Mike who can play the pass then not playing him on passing downs. For that matter, Vigil also can play the pass as can Tez. So really I see us staying in base formation more than we did last season.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 08:40 PM)McC Wrote: Okay then.  Yeah, what's taking so long?

I'm assuming the team see's Maualuga as an affordable veteran back-up should any injuries happen. There's no reason they can't carry him through training camp and cut him in August. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 08:59 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'm assuming the team see's Maualuga as an affordable veteran back-up should any injuries happen. There's no reason they can't carry him through training camp and cut him in August. 

This.

The Bengals are not that tight up against the cap.  Plus teh Bengals often do contract extensions right before the season.  They could hold onto Maualuga and not release him until early in training camp.  He would still have a decent shot to make another team, and the Bengals could still use the extra cap space toward an extension for a player going into the last year of his contract.

Last year Maualuga played 9 games after Burfict returned.  In 6 of those 9 games Rey played fewer than 30% of the snaps.

I can't see us keeping two MLBs when they play so few snaps.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 02:13 AM)phil413 Wrote: With him being the mouthpiece, that says a lot in where they think Vigil is or will be.  I would assume Minter will still get a descent amount of reps, especially signing a showcase sort of deal and not being as much of a liability vs the pass.  Vinny should be the 4th guy and I'd bank on them trying to get another versatile LB by the mid rounds with Minter and Burfict's deals expiring.  This years unit has good potential, lets hope they fix the DL so they can make plays.  

It says quite a bit about a few guys. Makes me wonder how much faith they have in Vigil, Flowers and Dawson (especially).

Since Maualuga, our drafted linebackers have been:
  • Roddrick Muckelory
  • Sean Porter
  • Marquis Flowers
  • Paul Dawson
  • Nick Vigil 
I know the draft is basically a crap-shoot... but that's a startlingly bad track record. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 07:12 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Hobson said the same thing, with Vigil being the SLB and Vigil and Burfict in nickel package.

I would be surprised if they take Minter off the field in nickel.  He was one of the best cover LBs in the league last year.  
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 07:27 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Can we cut the worthless bum maualuga already.  Whats taking so long.

Maybe, he takes this as a warning sign and shows up to camp around 240 lbs and ready to play.  It couldn't hurt having that depth.  
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 08:53 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Maybe they're working on a trade with some poor sap in a front office somewhere? Maybe they want to hang on to him for depth? I don't know... I doubt he would be happy taking a backup role. I guess we'll see how this plays out soon enough.

I wonder....the Raiders need help at ILB.  Not that we would get much back, but even a 6th rounder would be a nice exchange.  
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 04:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would be surprised if they take Minter off the field in nickel.  He was one of the best cover LBs in the league last year.  

He was one of the best cover ILB, far from best overall. Burfict is better and Vigil looks like he'll be elite in coverage too.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 07:27 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Can we cut the worthless bum maualuga already.  Whats taking so long.

lets see if we can upgrade before be drop Rey M...   and make it thru most of camp with no linebacker injuries.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 03:35 PM)Slythe Wrote: It says quite a bit about a few guys. Makes me wonder how much faith they have in Vigil, Flowers and Dawson (especially).

• Roddrick Muckelory
  • Sean Porter
  • Marquis Flowers
  • Paul Dawson
  • Nick Vigil 
I know the draft is basically a crap-shoot... but that's a startlingly bad track record. 

Vigil could be here a long time  Dawson could still turn it around...   we will see
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 03:35 PM)Slythe Wrote: It says quite a bit about a few guys. Makes me wonder how much faith they have in Vigil, Flowers and Dawson (especially).

• Roddrick Muckelory
  • Sean Porter
  • Marquis Flowers
  • Paul Dawson
  • Nick Vigil 

Only two of those guys (Vigil, Dawson) were taken before the fourth round, and Vigil was just a rookie last year.

Not a very good track record at all, but not near as bad as we have done with D-linemen with lots of second and third round picks..
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 08:59 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'm assuming the team see's Maualuga as an affordable veteran back-up should any injuries happen. There's no reason they can't carry him through training camp and cut him in August. 

I'd be surprised if we carried Rey in TC and cut him during camp. Marvin has said that they like to let vets that they cut get a chance at latching onto another team. This isn't like the Brandon Tate situation where the team had to see if an undrafted rookie could replace him. We have Minter, Burfict, and Vigil. Then team favorite V. Rey as a backup to all 3 spots. I'm sure we can find some draft picks and UDFAs to battle our current backups for the back end of the LB roster.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Hasn't Burfict been calling the plays for us?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I find it comical that outside media perception had our fan base over rating and over valuing Maualuga a short while back.

I'd say he's probably at the top of the list of players fans of the team would want to move on from. LOL

The only time he looked good was because others looked so bad.

Why Flowers is still on the team is beyond me. He's never looked good.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Ehh..let him retire in stripes .. That's getting to be a very rare occurrence these days. It'll give Hobson a chance to show just how great he can make him sound for his swan song.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 06:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hasn't Burfict been calling the plays for us?

Burfict's heading into a contract year, he came in overweight last year and who knows if the team plans to offer him a decent contract.

Minter will also be a free agent next off season.

By 2018 we could see a whole new set of LBers on this team.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 07:08 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Hopefully it's a good fit and he works out. Saying he wants to be here long term before even taking a snap is a little premature.
Well they thought enough of him to offer him a multi year deal without taking a snap.
Reply/Quote