Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Misery
My AC broke down at some point last night. I live in a fourth floor apartment (really sixth because of two levels of parking) with east facing windows. Today we hit 94 degrees outside, so needless to say it is rather toasty in my apartment. with no shade on it. Called property manager on the 24/7 maintenance line and they told me they don't do off hour AC stuff unless an elderly person is involved, so I am stuck like this until Monday at the earliest.

I am sitting here sweating my ass off. Too hot to eat, too hot to sleep, just drinking water and messing around online. I run hot for a number of reasons, so I keep my thermostat temp low all year round (in the winter my heat almost never runs) which means I'm feeling pretty miserable at the moment.

How are you all doing?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 08:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My AC broke down at some point last night. I live in a fourth floor apartment (really sixth because of two levels of parking) with east facing windows. Today we hit 94 degrees outside, so needless to say it is rather toasty in my apartment. with no shade on it. Called property manager on the 24/7 maintenance line and they told me they don't do off hour AC stuff unless an elderly person is involved, so I am stuck like this until Monday at the earliest.

I am sitting here sweating my ass off. Too hot to eat, too hot to sleep, just drinking water and messing around online. I run hot for a number of reasons, so I keep my thermostat temp low all year round (in the winter my heat almost never runs) which means I'm feeling pretty miserable at the moment.

How are you all doing?

A few degrees hotter here, we topped out on our thermometer at 103.

But we have a pool, so I don't really mind as long as I have A/C while I'm sleeping...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 08:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My AC broke down at some point last night. I live in a fourth floor apartment (really sixth because of two levels of parking) with east facing windows. Today we hit 94 degrees outside, so needless to say it is rather toasty in my apartment. with no shade on it. Called property manager on the 24/7 maintenance line and they told me they don't do off hour AC stuff unless an elderly person is involved, so I am stuck like this until Monday at the earliest.

How are you all doing?

Try taping ice cubes to your scrotum.  It works, just don't ask me how I know that.   Ninja

EDIT: In all seriousness, I feel for ya' my man. Get out of there and take everyone to Wal Mart and enjoy their A/C or something.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote

How are you all doing?

Now's the time to eat out a lot, and see those movies you've been wanting to see at the very cool cinema!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote

How are you all doing?

Yeah, our compressor gave out a couple of weeks ago, while it was in the early nineties and humid.  Had them re-route the ducting, since it wasn't done right the fist time before we bought it.  Spent a couple of days hot and grumpy as Hell.  Almost eight thousand dollars later, comfort.
Reply/Quote
If you are allowed to do so (and can swing the cost), go pick up a window unit from Wal-Mart for your bedroom to get you to Monday. Obviously keep the bedroom door closed to allow it to keep it cool.

If you can't do that for whatever reason, a "swamp cooler" is the next best thing. This is an open cooler full of ice or dry ice (dry ice is preferable) with a large fan blowing across the opening. Elevate the whole thing to be blowing over your body as you sleep and you can make it through the hot night.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 09:24 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: If you are allowed to do so (and can swing the cost), go pick up a window unit from Wal-Mart for your bedroom to get you to Monday.

Just buy it and use it, then take it back on Monday after they fix your AC.
Reply/Quote
Man, that sucks. It's been a brutal stretch of heat and humidity, that can't be fun.

I'm not sure if you've tried this, but fill up a big bucket full of ice and set it in front of your fan. If you haven't tried it might be worth checking out. Spend about 20 bucks on ice to get through the next couple days.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 09:09 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Now's the time to eat out a lot, and see those movies you've been wanting to see at the very cool cinema!

Yeah, we can't really afford that. I'd love to, and we discussed it, but it just isn't in the budget. I'm currently running on empty food wise because I don't want to turn the stove/oven on and my options as a diabetic with what we have in the apartment are limited.

(08-13-2016, 09:24 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: If you are allowed to do so (and can swing the cost), go pick up a window unit from Wal-Mart for your bedroom to get you to Monday. Obviously keep the bedroom door closed to allow it to keep it cool.

We have those fun crank windows that won't allow for an AC unit. I'm not sure why I deleted the swamp cooler thing, sounds like a decent idea. That may be a project for tomorrow so I can at least get some sleep before work.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Belsnickel
Yeah, we can't really afford that. I'd love to, and we discussed it, but it just isn't in the budget. I'm currently running on empty food wise because I don't want to turn the stove/oven on and my options as a diabetic with what we have in the apartment are limited.

We have those fun crank windows that won't allow for an AC unit. I'm not sure why I deleted the swamp cooler thing, sounds like a decent idea. That may be a project for tomorrow so I can at least get some sleep before work.

No time like the present, and Wal-Mart is 24 hours!

Just saw that the heat index today was 109, and tomorrow will be no better.

Considering we are only an hour or so apart, it isn't going to be much different for you.  

Your not going to get many zzzs tonight without figuring something out...
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 10:19 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: No time like the present, and Wal-Mart is 24 hours!

Just saw that the heat index today was 109, and tomorrow will be no better.

Considering we are only an hour or so apart, it isn't going to be much different for you.  

Your not going to get many zzzs tonight without figuring something out...

A lack of sleep tonight is okay, I can just nap in church or something. LOL

I have some ice packs from some perishable shipments I received and they are currently on top of me after being in the fridge. I have slept in worse, I used to work at a Scout camp and spent 9 weeks in a canvas tent three summers, it's just been a while. I will get through it. Being ten years older and spending that time in an office job just makes it difficult.

Reply/Quote

Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote

How are you all doing?

You need to run to the Home Depot and make yourself one of these. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
So I made a couple of swamp coolers, they weren't very effective. But, on the bright side, someone I know had a spare AC unit, one that has a vent hose you put outside. Because I have casement windows I can actually make it work. After hitting a high point of 95 in my apartment today it is currently down to 83.

I've said that I can handle it, but it frustrates me most for my wife and our cats.

Reply/Quote
That crap sucks, Matt. Hope they get it fixed tomorrow.

Personally, I'd rather it be too hot than wet and freezing. Although both extremes suck.
Reply/Quote

How are you all doing?

True story: looked at OP and read AC as anterior cruciate and not air conditioning. That is how I am doing. 
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 11:20 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That crap sucks, Matt. Hope they get it fixed tomorrow.

Personally, I'd rather it be too hot than wet and freezing. Although both extremes suck.

Not me. I can put more clothes on, but I can only take so many off. LOL

(08-14-2016, 11:24 PM)xxlt Wrote: True story: looked at OP and read AC as anterior cruciate and not air conditioning. That is how I am doing. 

Are you having ACL trouble or are you just frazzled?

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 11:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not me. I can put more clothes on, but I can only take so many off. LOL

I'm with you on this one. As long as we're not talking frozen pipes cold; I'll take a cold house over a hot one. As to the hot house; I've always read this is why we are so spoiled. Wasn't that long ago that AC was not common in a house. I can remember living in a house with no AC. We has 1 window fan and we would point that outside to make air come in the rest of the windows. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 11:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not me. I can put more clothes on, but I can only take so many off. LOL

Are you having ACL trouble or are you just frazzled?

I am just an idiot. Well, it is a sports MB... Hilarious
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Just keep one of these stuck up your butt

[Image: 902616054_acf4472632.jpg]

They are plastic so you can wash them, re-freeze them, and eat them later.
Reply/Quote