Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mitt Romney on FACEBOOK
Has this ever happened before?  Has one party ever openly schemed so hard to derail its leading candidate?  and if so, did it work? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(03-03-2016, 03:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have said for some time now that the RNC will do all in their power to ensure one candidate (Trump) doesn't get nominated and the DNC will do all in their power to ensure one candidate (Clinton) does get nominated.

At this point I am pretty apathetic about the whole process outside of entertainment value and I find that quite sad.

REP
(03-03-2016, 03:10 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: See, I disagree with this rhetoric because it suggests that the majority of Republicans support Trump. 35% of primary voters have. 65% of primary voters have voted for other candidates. 30% voted for Cruz and 22% voted for Rubio. Trump is that far ahead of Cruz in that sense. 

Trump also has the highest unfavorable rating of the Republicans left when rated by Republican voters, more than he is liked. So they can argue that more will be upset with his nomination than would be upset by him not getting it. 

yet he keeps winning state after state. The Republicans have turned this whole thing into a rank contest in the school playground like when we were kids. I mean did you ever expect this stuff from Presidential prospects? Its the Jerry Springer of politics! LOL
(03-03-2016, 03:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have said for some time now that the RNC will do all in their power to ensure one candidate (Trump) doesn't get nominated and the DNC will do all in their power to ensure one candidate (Clinton) does get nominated.

At this point I am pretty apathetic about the whole process outside of entertainment value and I find that quite sad.

The title under my username says it all. It is a state of political apathy or being disillusioned with politics. To be fair, I'm really far from apathetic because I am still very much engaged in our political processes, but the people currently running for POTUS just don't do anything for me.
(03-03-2016, 05:43 PM)GodFather Wrote: yet he keeps winning state after state. The Republicans have turned this whole thing into a rank contest in the school playground like when we were kids. I mean did you ever expect this stuff from Presidential prospects? Its the Jerry Springer of politics! LOL

He hasn't won a single one by a majority of the votes, though, has he?
(03-03-2016, 03:00 PM)GodFather Wrote: Im no Trump fan but I see this merely as the Republicans doing everything they can to get who they want as the GOP nominee regardless of how the voters feel. I hope this backfires on them.

Truth.  I said this in another thread, that if Trump is smart he'll use all of this to his advantage.  Rubio flat out said he planned on winning the nomination without winning a single state.  rump should attack him and Cruz for deliberately attempting to circumvent the democratic process.  No matter your feelings on Trump, he is getting more votes and delegates than anyone else.  This is beyond dispute.

(03-03-2016, 03:10 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: See, I disagree with this rhetoric because it suggests that the majority of Republicans support Trump. 35% of primary voters have. 65% of primary voters have voted for other candidates. 30% voted for Cruz and 22% voted for Rubio. Trump is that far ahead of Cruz in that sense. 

Trump also has the highest unfavorable rating of the Republicans left when rated by Republican voters, more than he is liked. So they can argue that more will be upset with his nomination than would be upset by him not getting it. 

We normally agree on things around here, but this is some pretty shoddy logic.  Either Trump is getting more votes than anyone else or he's not.  If he's getting more votes, and I'm willing to bet he finishes this process with more votes and delegates than any other candidate, then he deserves to be the nominee.  Anything other than that is a blatant, and deliberate, corruption of the democratic process.  It merely reaffirms everything Trump has said about the politics of today.

There's a lot to dislike about Trump, but there is one thing about him that everyone who actually loves this country should be thrilled with.  He's held a mirror to the bankrupt politics of the day.  He's called them out publicly and this, more than any other reason, is why he's getting votes.  Hopefully he destroys the GOP as it currently exists so it can emerge as an actually viable alternative to the Democrats.
Heard Mitt and his scathing rant, yet just 4 yrs ago he was singing Trumps praises. Wished he would have been half that assertive against Obama and took those kid gloves off, perhaps he would have won.
Him spewing that Trump was not the one to preserve our "conservative values"  was nauseating.

He, nor the Republican establishment still aren't getting it.

The Republicans said, "We have to have the House in 2010 to fight Obama."  So we gave it to 'em.  Then 4 years later they said "We have to have the Senate in 2014 to fight Obama."  and we gave that to them. 

And what did they do?  Nothing. Nothing but lie. 

And they wonder why Trump is popular.

The Republican electorate aren't a bunch of fools, they know Trumps flaws and know he is not perfect, which doesn't matter, because these people believe Trump will either change the GOP or blow it up.
(03-03-2016, 05:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There's a lot to dislike about Trump, but there is one thing about him that everyone who actually loves this country should be thrilled with.  He's held a mirror to the bankrupt politics of the day.  He's called them out publicly and this, more than any other reason, is why he's getting votes.  Hopefully he destroys the GOP as it currently exists so it can emerge as an actually viable alternative to the Democrats.

He has not "hald a mirror" up to anything.  All he has done is take pandering to a new level, and the number of people who are falling for it is disturbing.  He tells people what they want to hear and they love it so much they don't even care when he is proven to be 100% lying.

In fact even Trump is laughing at his followers.  He admits what rubes they are when he said he could shoot a man and they would still follow him.  
McCain has also denounced Trump, meaning the last two Repub nominees do not support the favorite this time around. I wonder if this is unprecedented?
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(03-03-2016, 05:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: He hasn't won a single one by a majority of the votes, though, has he?

No he hasn't. His wins haven't been nearly as big or impressive as you would think by his bluster. 
(03-03-2016, 09:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He has not "hald a mirror" up to anything.  All he has done is take pandering to a new level, and the number of people who are falling for it is disturbing.  He tells people what they want to hear and they love it so much they don't even care when he is proven to be 100% lying.

In fact even Trump is laughing at his followers.  He admits what rubes they are when he said he could shoot a man and they would still follow him.  

If I didn't know you were a lawyer it would be easy to guess because you love to argue semantics and minutiae.  He tells people what they want to hear?  That must be why many of his positions are wildly unpopular then right?  That must be why so many pundits are constantly scratching their head wondering how he gets away with statements that would have been political suicide any other election cycle.  You flat out don't get it, just as many people paid to analyze this type of stuff don't get it.  Trump isn't popular for his rhetoric on things like immigration, he's popular in spite of it.  He has nothing but disdain for the current political class and his voters gravitate to him because they feel the exact same way.  His demographics span the spectrum.

Quite simply, it's easier for you to paint his supporters as rubes and fools.  It's easy because it requires no real thought or analysis on your part.  The truth, that his rise is solely based on the utter disdain of a large part of the electorate for the current political class, will continue to escape you.  Now feel free to not respond to the actual points and argue semantics and minutiae.  You have certainly found your niche.
I'd also add, and I'm paraphrasing from another source, that Trump is really only saying the same things GOP candidates have said for years, just without the thin veneer of deniability and decorum they are normally stated in.
(03-03-2016, 02:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yep, Trump endorsed Romney. They were all buddy-buddy in 2012. Of course, Trump was a Democrat prior to that, so make of that what you will.

Oh crap, Trump is like the next Reagan now!
(03-03-2016, 05:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: We normally agree on things around here, but this is some pretty shoddy logic.  Either Trump is getting more votes than anyone else or he's not.  If he's getting more votes, and I'm willing to bet he finishes this process with more votes and delegates than any other candidate, then he deserves to be the nominee.  Anything other than that is a blatant, and deliberate, corruption of the democratic process.  It merely reaffirms everything Trump has said about the politics of today.

There's a lot to dislike about Trump, but there is one thing about him that everyone who actually loves this country should be thrilled with.  He's held a mirror to the bankrupt politics of the day.  He's called them out publicly and this, more than any other reason, is why he's getting votes.  Hopefully he destroys the GOP as it currently exists so it can emerge as an actually viable alternative to the Democrats.

I'm not suggesting he doesn't deserve it based on the rules of the GOP's primary system, I'm suggesting that there would be more lost by having him as the candidate than by not having him as the candidate. 

He polls highest amongst GOP candidates with "who would you stay home and not vote for?". He has the highest unfavorable rating and the lowest net favorability. The fact that his 35% is united behind him while the other 65% can't agree between Cruz or Rubio is what is allowing that minority to keep him in 1st. If it were a brokered convention and he lost the nomination, more Republicans would be happy than you would have Republicans upset.

That's all I am saying.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-03-2016, 05:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: He hasn't won a single one by a majority of the votes, though, has he?

Nope. Compare 2012 to 2016. Romney had 52% of the vote to Santorum's 20%. It was clear.
Trump has 35% to Cruz's 30% (and Rubio's 22%). It's very much still a contested fight, even if the delegate allocation doesn't represent this.

And I am speaking of share of the popular vote not some poll.

(03-03-2016, 09:15 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Quite simply, it's easier for you to paint his supporters as rubes and fools.  It's easy because it requires no real thought or analysis on your part.  The truth, that his rise is solely based on the utter disdain of a large part of the electorate for the current political class, will continue to escape you.  Now feel free to not respond to the actual points and argue semantics and minutiae.  You have certainly found your niche.

It is easy to call you rubes when you admit that you don't care if what he is saying is truth or not.

You are not even payiong attention to the actual issues.  You are so desperate for something "different" that you con't even care about the truth.

It is like getting mad at dentist for not fixing your teeth then deciding to go to a mechanic to get your teeth fixed just because you want someone "different".
(03-04-2016, 12:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is easy to call you rubes when you admit that you don't care if what he is saying is truth or not.

You are not even payiong attention to the actual issues.  You are so desperate for something "different" that you con't even care about the truth.

It is like getting mad at dentist for not fixing your teeth then deciding to go to a mechanic to get your teeth fixed just because you want someone "different".

I guess the issue with this is that one would never expect a mechanic to act as a dentist. Politicians are different, however, in that one could reasonably accept a businessman jumping into politics. Maybe it's better to say it's like you're upset with your chiropractor so you go to a reiki healer. Do most expect them to be as effective? No, but some people do.

(03-04-2016, 12:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is easy to call you rubes when you admit that you don't care if what he is saying is truth or not.

You?  Are you including me as a Trump supporter?  Your reading comprehension is piss poor

Quote:You are not even payiong attention to the actual issues.  You are so desperate for something "different" that you con't even care about the truth.

More rofl'es.  Dear god, you're so anxious to try and score internet points you're punching at shadows.

Quote:It is like getting mad at dentist for not fixing your teeth then deciding to go to a mechanic to get your teeth fixed just because you want someone "different".

Well done counselor, well done.  ThumbsUp

Also, you are so predictable, you did exactly what I said you'd do.  It's sad that in your own way you're just as bad as Lucie and you have no idea.

Solid post. If Rubio Drops out then how do you see his supporters breaking out? Trump, Cruz, or Kasich?

I also don't think there is that much difference between trump and Cruz as far as support. Field is just too spread out.