Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Mixon Could Have High Ankle Sprain
(10-01-2021, 07:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well sure, all of Eifert’s injuries were just bad luck, too. It’s very seldom a case of the player actually doing something stupid (ie Shazier).

(10-01-2021, 08:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Maybe so, but when bad luck to the tune of multiple games missed per year happens in 4 out of 5 years, you can't blame someone if they think they start to see it as a trend. 

There have been a lot of very good players who's careers unfortunately didn't go so well due to bad Luck and injuries .  But really are we blaming Mixon for getting hurt?   That's just plain silly.   He plays in a high risk position.    

Also if you think he is injury prone, what's your solution this year? Any ideas?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 07:07 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Adrian Peterson and Todd Gurley are notable names. But as many teams have had injuries at RB neither have been signed. The question would be who would the Bengals demote to give them basically a temp job. Probably best to roll with what the Bengals have if Mixon has to miss a few games.

Who would I demote? That's easy. Perine. Like I said, he's been awful, yet he's beating out whoever is beneath him, so what does that say?

I'd at least kick the tires on AP. He knows how to pass block and likely doesn't have a job due to teams being scared off by his age...but he's been alright. Better than what we have behind Mixon anyways.

With Mixon's history, we need a better insurance policy than Perine. He's...not good. At all.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 08:47 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: There have been a lot of very good players who's careers unfortunately didn't go so well due to bad Luck and injuries .  But really are we blaming Mixon for getting hurt?   That's just plain silly.   He plays in a high risk position.    

Also if you think he is injury prone, what's your solution this year? Any ideas?

It’s not really about “blame” it just sucks, that’s all. And I was actually completely for paying Mixon btw, but it’s tough to argue that paying RB’s high end money isn’t extremely risky.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s not really about “blame” it just sucks, that’s all. And I was actually completely for paying Mixon btw, but it’s tough to argue that paying RB’s high end money isn’t extremely risky.

Paying RBs big money and that being risky I certainly agree with.   But it isn't like Mixon put the Bengals in cap hell.  They had plenty of money left over afterwards.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
We have Trayveon and Pooka, not to mention Evans.

If Mixon is indeed out for an extended period of time, we can rely on those guys.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s not really about “blame” it just sucks, that’s all. And I was actually completely for paying Mixon btw, but it’s tough to argue that paying RB’s high end money isn’t extremely risky.

Right on. I also love Mixon and wanted to pay him. He's proven to be a bit more fragile than I'd like, but I still like him. I just think we should plan accordingly that Mixon may miss some time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Who would I demote? That's easy. Perine. Like I said, he's been awful, yet he's beating out whoever is beneath him, so what does that say?

I'd at least kick the tires on AP. He knows how to pass block and likely doesn't have a job due to teams being scared off by his age...but he's been alright. Better than what we have behind Mixon anyways.

With Mixon's history, we need a better insurance policy than Perine. He's...not good. At all.

I don’t know why we got rid of Gio. He could block and run well. He was a great team player too. That one was a head scratcher just to save a few million
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Who would I demote? That's easy. Perine. Like I said, he's been awful, yet he's beating out whoever is beneath him, so what does that say?

If we are going to go down that rabbit hole I'd take Gurley over AP.  Much younger and has also decent at pass block.  They both had similar stats last year.  But let's hope we don't need either this year.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:35 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: If we are going to go down that rabbit hole I'd take Gurley over AP.  Much younger and has also decent at pass block.  They both had similar stats last year.  But let's hope we don't need either this year.

I don't see why it's a rabbit hole, tbh. We've signed free agents in playoff years that contributed. But people always act like it's a big no-no for whatever reason.

I would've said Gurley too, but with him being younger and dominant recently, I'd say its a health issue with him.

I think we need someone regardless of Mixon's status. Of course, I'm not as impressed with this group as some are, and I get that.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 05:11 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/10/1/22704549/joe-mixon-injury-bengals-packers-news-nfl-high-ankle-sprain

You know how Taylor and Bengals are when it comes to injuries but it looks like we will be without Mixon for at least a few games.

Posted at 12:19am 10/1.... Everything is conjecture until the team announces his injury.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-rb-joe-mixon-misses-game-winning-drive-vs-jaguars-with-minor-ankle-injur
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't see why it's a rabbit hole, tbh. We've signed free agents in playoff years that contributed. But people always act like it's a big no-no for whatever reason.

I would've said Gurley too, but with him being younger and dominant recently, I'd say its a health issue with him.

I think we need someone regardless of Mixon's status. Of course, I'm not as impressed with this group as some are, and I get that.

I said rabbit hole because we are now talking about signing RBs that are for lack of a better term washed up.  Players that were once great/good. Now they are sitting on the fences unsigned even after many teams have had injuries at RB.  And we don't even know the extent of Mixon's injury at this point.  So again who would you try to sign? 

You keep saying we need someone better to back up Mixon (or step in should he miss some games).  But you have yet to suggest a solution.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Who would I demote? That's easy. Perine. Like I said, he's been awful, yet he's beating out whoever is beneath him, so what does that say?

Agreed

I have next to no faith in Perines ability to carry the load. And although I hope Evans has a future as a decent backup he's probably not even close to ready to take on a bunch of snaps.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:27 PM)GodFather Wrote: I don’t know why we got rid of Gio. He could block and run well. He was a great team player too. That one was a head scratcher just to save a few million

Agreed... Although Bernard's been dealing with injuries this year as well. I can't believe that dude is only just now 30 years old.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:54 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I said rabbit hole because we are now talking about signing RBs that are for lack of a better term washed up.  Players that were once great/good. Now they are sitting on the fences unsigned even after many teams have had injuries at RB.  And we don't even know the extent of Mixon's injury at this point.  So again who would you try to sign? 

You keep saying we need someone better to back up Mixon (or step in should he miss some games).  But you have yet to suggest a solution.  

How about Duke Johnson? A Gio-clone who is still young (27)?

Also on the Pro Football Rumors top 100 free agents:

14. Todd Gurley (at least worth a look)
21. Derrius Guice
57. DeAndre Washington
79. Bo Scarbrough
85. Adrian Peterson
86. LeSean McCoy
87. Frank Gore
88. Alfred Morris
95. TJ Yeldon

Again, Duke jumps out the most to me, but Gurley, AP and a few others might be worthy of a workout at the very least.

People have been complaining about the pass blocking by our backups, and Perine is averaging around 3.3 ypc. 

There has to be someone that can do better than bad blocking and 3.3 ypc...
Reply/Quote
I’m comfortable rolling out Evans in the mean time while Mixon heals up. I think he will be a surprise for us. He’s pretty good at finding the hole and making the most of it from what I’ve seen. He might be more of a threat in the passing game than Mixon too believe it or not… just that blocking aspect that has me any bit worried.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 10:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How about Duke Johnson? A Gio-clone who is still young (27)?

Also on the Pro Football Rumors top 100 free agents:

14. Todd Gurley (at least worth a look)
21. Derrius Guice
57. DeAndre Washington
79. Bo Scarbrough
85. Adrian Peterson
86. LeSean McCoy
87. Frank Gore
88. Alfred Morris
95. TJ Yeldon

Again, Duke jumps out the most to me, but Gurley, AP and a few others might be worthy of a workout at the very least.

People have been complaining about the pass blocking by our backups, and Perine is averaging around 3.3 ypc. 

There has to be someone that can do better than bad blocking and 3.3 ypc...

We got this info from the same list on the same website.   As for Duke he has never had more than 410 yards rushing in a season.  So honestly I'd rather see Gurley.  But there has to be a big reason why they are all waiting for a phone call when so many teams have injuries at RB.

Look my friend I'm not saying you are wrong.  I'm just saying that there is no clear answer to the Mixon injury.  We don't even know how long he will be out if at all.  At this point it is speculation.   Should the Bengals pick up one of the RBs as a backup/other down back?  Maybe.  But so far all the RBs on that list don't seem to have their phones blowing up for some reason or another despite several other teams having injuries at RB.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I wasn't too worried last night simply because they were allowing him to stalk up and down the sideline trying to work the injury out. Surely they would have taken some precautions if there was even a thought that he'd have a serious injury.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 10:57 PM)wcu Wrote: I wasn't too worried last night simply because they were allowing him to stalk up and down the sideline trying to work the injury out. Surely they would have taken some precautions if there was even a thought that he'd have a serious injury.

Yep. He wasn't even in a boot. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 06:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yikes. Perine has been awful. Is there anyone of note on the street?

How about Evans?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 10:33 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: We got this info from the same list on the same website.   As for Duke he has never had more than 410 yards rushing in a season.  So honestly I'd rather see Gurley.  But there has to be a big reason why they are all waiting for a phone call when so many teams have injuries at RB.

Look my friend I'm not saying you are wrong.  I'm just saying that there is no clear answer to the Mixon injury.  We don't even know how long he will be out if at all.  At this point it is speculation.   Should the Bengals pick up one of the RBs as a backup/other down back?  Maybe.  But so far all the RBs on that list don't seem to have their phones blowing up for some reason or another despite several other teams having injuries at RB.

I figured Duke would be a popular choice due to his similarities with Gio. Same size and very similar production. Duke is a fantastic pass catcher, and could probably be a spot starter or rotate with Evans.

But I'm open to others. You could be right. This batch of free agents could be terrible. This seems like a yearly debate as to whether or not street FA's are worth it, but a lot of times when they get picked up, they produce decently enough. Who knows unless we do?

I just have trouble imagining a guy doing much worse than Perine. There's a lot more room to go up than down if you know what I mean.

I'd at least try a few of them out if I was the GM. Especially if this high ankle sprain turns out to be true. Then next year, I'd consider another RB in round 3 or so.

(10-01-2021, 11:17 PM)EatonFan Wrote: How about Evans?

I'd be all for giving him a shot with the way Perine is playing.

I just wonder why he hasn't seen more time with Perine not getting it done.

I do hate when coaches are bullish on underperforming players (especially RBs) when there's a young player behind them. What's the harm in throwing Evans a few snaps?
Reply/Quote