Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon - Could he become a Top 3 back this year?
I think he could IF he stays healthy and plays 15+ games.

Last year, people thought the line improved because we could run the ball better, but A LOT of those runs were on Mixon. His 1st lane was blocked many times and he made an INSANE CUT to gain 4-5-6 yards when nothing was there.

We should be a little better run blocking this year as Miller's best feature is his run blocking. One would have to think that Price will be better run blocking with a year experience and hopefully health.

Eifert should force defenses to not crowd the box as will Green and Boyd. Also, one would have to think we will use a more unconventional offense.

Mixon is also a pretty good pass catching back.

IF he stays healthy, I could see him being a Top 3 back. IF the Bengals could win, I could even see him garnering a few MVP votes or OPOY votes.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he puts up numbers like Leveon Bell did during his best years.
Reply/Quote
I certainly hope so. Taylor will probably lean heavily on Mixon as the main part of his offense like the Rams do with Gurley.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
If our line opens up things for him, he certainly has the tools.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Mixon led the AFC last year with our oline, so yeah, with improved line play he could not only be top 3, he could be #1....
Reply/Quote
Mixon has never played a full season.

He has all the talent needed to be one of the top backs in the league. He just has to show that he can stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
How many RBs in the AFC would you take over him? I could maybe be convinced of three, but one of them just sat out a year, one was injured most of last year, and the other guy has a large suspension to serve.
Reply/Quote
Mixon has been a top 3 back since coming into the NFL. If he had a good Oline he would be an all pro already.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 02:27 PM)NKURyan Wrote: How many RBs in the AFC would you take over him? I could maybe be convinced of three, but one of them just sat out a year, one was injured most of last year, and the other guy has a large suspension to serve.

Bell, Hunt, and Gordon in the AFC.
For the entire NFL, add Gurley, Elliott, McCaffrey, Barkley, and Kamara.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 03:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bell, Hunt, and Gordon in the AFC.

Melvin Gordon?

I know he puts up numbers, but in the games I've seen him play, he just seems meh (albeit a high volume guy).
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 03:28 PM)jason Wrote: Melvin Gordon?

I know he puts up numbers, but in the games I've seen him play, he just seems meh (albeit a high volume guy).

He gets hurt A LOT too.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 03:28 PM)jason Wrote: Melvin Gordon?

To me, it only matters how good you do, not how good you look doing it.
Dude put up 1375+ combined yards each season for the past three seasons. Last year, he had over 5.0 YPC.
Last year was actually his worst statistical season of the past three seasons but it was done in 12 games. If he had played a full season, he would have been on pace for over 1800 combined yards.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 03:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He gets hurt A LOT too.

He does get nicked up but he's played in 11+ games every season. He's far more available than people give him credit for.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

In all honesty I think He can put up those same numbers as though guys. I am not saying he is better but he is at the same level as those guys.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

You had two of my three... I'd put Fournette in place of Gordon.

The rest of your list seems spot on, though.
Reply/Quote
While we're on the topic, let me just say that my favorite thing about Mixon is how much he just seems to love being out there. When the Bengals were at their lowest last year, Joe and Tyler Boyd seemed like the only ones who cared at all. I think Joe learned a lot in missing a whole season in college.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 04:40 PM)NKURyan Wrote: You had two of my three... I'd put Fournette in place of Gordon.

I forgot Fournette. Honestly though, I have slightly lower than Mixon. I think Mixon has done better with a worse OL compared to Fournette.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
You also can't really rank running back purely by their numbers. Sure, Bell, 2 years ago, had great numbers because he ran behind a beastly offensive line. If he were in Cincinnati 2 years ago, his numbers are nowhere near where he was. You also have to look at the system, does the team run to set up the pass, or vice versa? Was the back the teams bell weather, or did he have to split carries with a fumblefingers..... Lots of factors other than pure yardage when ranking backs.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I forgot Fournette. Honestly though, I have slightly lower than Mixon. I think Mixon has done better with a worse OL compared to Fournette.

I agree 100%, I just meant he would be one I would at least put near Mixon. TBH I'd probably take Mixon over any of those other AFC guys at this point - I think Bell comes back to Earth, I'm not sure how Hunt will do outside of KC's system, and I just think Joe brings more to the table than either Fournette or Gordon.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 04:40 PM)NKURyan Wrote: You had two of my three... I'd put Fournette in place of Gordon.

Fournette?  And his 3.7/ypc career?  Surely you jest.  Mixon averaged just shy of 5 a carry behind our line.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 04:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: To me, it only matters how good you do, not how good you look doing it.
Dude put up 1375+ combined yards each season for the past three seasons. Last year, he had over 5.0 YPC.
Last year was actually his worst statistical season of the past three seasons but it was done in 12 games. If he had played a full season, he would have been on pace for over 1800 combined yards.

I only saw him once last year. Two years ago he was on my fantasy team. He produces for sure but it looks like he's just force fed, and a lot of 3 yards, and a cloud of dust.

But you're right. Results are results. Mixon just seems to be a more dynamic talent.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote