Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mixon On ESPN List Of Rookies Ready To Break Out In Year 2!
It lists 10 rookies ready to break out in year two, but Mixon is one of five players that could make SIGNIFICANT jumps:

Quote:Mixon entered the league with the most raw talent of the 2017 running back class, in my opinion, with the power, speed and ability to impact the passing game. And we saw those traits pop on the film at times as Mixon rushed for 626 yards and added 287 yards receiving while sharing touches. With veteran Jeremy Hill leaving via free agency and the Bengals making a move to land offensive tackle Cordy Glenn in a trade with Buffalo, Mixon is in line to see an increased workload behind a better offensive line.

I love that he thought that he was the rookie with the most potential and then that Mixon followed it up in his performance, which we all saw. Hill being gone is HUGE, in my crippled opinion, because Marvin would continue to give Hill some carries, even if just short-yardage and goal line, and it wouldn't allow Mixon to get into a full groove.

Mixon was performing decently behind a shitty offensive line, so improving there will improve his game by a lot, and that will, in turn, improve the passing game because teams have to respect the run and load the box, which will make Mixon even better.

It goes on:

Quote:Mixon carried the ball 15 times or more in six games and had more than 20 carries in two games. He can handle high-volume touches, and he has the ability to rip off chunk gains on the ground or as a receiving target on screens and underneath throws. After showing some hesitation early in the season when working through the wash to find daylight, he hit the hole with more speed as the season progressed. The upside is there if the Bengals can develop more consistency up front in 2018.

I like that because he started hitting the holes harder and running more downhill, and ripping off chunks of yards is something that we haven't seen in Cincinnati in a while, but it has me excited, and being able to be a receiving threat makes him the complete back.

I'm LOVING this kid and can't wait to see him in season. It makes improving the line in the draft (and maybe even more in FA) that much more exciting for me!

A back like Mixon with a receiver like AJ?! HIGHLIGHT REEL!
Reply/Quote
Well, Alvin Kamara says "hold my crepes". Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 08:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, Alvin Kamara says "hold my crepes".    Ninja

He doesn't have to break out.  He already did.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Well he has nowhere to go but up.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Where are all those crybabies from last years draft?
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 12:56 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Where are all those crybabies from last years draft?

You mean the character issue drama folks? 
Still depends on whether Pollack can coach up a ferocious offensive line and I think he will .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Mixon has the potential to be a top 5 running back in this league, in my opinion. He's just built that way, and he has great vision. A lot like Elliot in Dallas as far as body type and athleticism and explosiveness, and power. He just needs a better line in front of him. He did pretty good last year considering how historically bad the line was. I don't know how many times there was simply no hole, so he had no choice but to wait for one to develop--occasionally it would, but a lot of times he had to eat it. One thing I observed is he has comparable patience to Bell in Pittsburgh--the way he will just wait behind the line until he sees things develop, then get going quickly through the hole and upfield. And his play out of the backfield in the passing game is great too. Just really love Mixon as our running back. Having Geo available to take 10-15 touches, we are just stacked in the backfield. If we get this line figured out we'll all be very happy.
Reply/Quote
Imagine Mixon with a good OL?

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
This is why Im hoping we take Daniels at center with our first pick and Orlando Brown for RT with our 2nd and then let there be a fierce competition for who gets the RG position. Daniels looks to be an elite center when watching his film. I know Brown had his comedy show at the combine but did improve at his pro day BUT idc about numbers. Go look at his film. He is taylor made for RT in the NFL. When he gets his mitts on you it is absolutely game over. Just go watch his film. Him having a terrible combine could be a blessing for us if we get him in the 2nd. This line could finally get movement and if that happens watch out for Joe Mixon. If our line is able to improve alot we will be back in the playoffs no question and i think thats why we will use our first 2 picks on OL again.
Reply/Quote
If they continue to fix the O-line and it improves the way I'm hoping I look for banner seasons from both Mixon and Gio.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 09:16 AM)whodey4life84 Wrote: This is why Im hoping we take Daniels at center with our first pick and Orlando Brown for RT with our 2nd and then let there be a fierce competition for who gets the RG position. Daniels looks to be an elite center when watching his film. I know Brown had his comedy show at the combine but did improve at his pro day BUT idc about numbers. Go look at his film. He is taylor made for RT in the NFL. When he gets his mitts on you it is absolutely game over. Just go watch his film. Him having a terrible combine could be a blessing for us if we get him in the 2nd. This line could finally get movement and if that happens watch out for Joe Mixon. If our line is able to improve alot we will be back in the playoffs no question and i think thats why we will use our first 2 picks on OL again.

I really hope they do something like this! Please give us an O-line again!
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 09:16 AM)whodey4life84 Wrote: This is why Im hoping we take Daniels at center with our first pick and Orlando Brown for RT with our 2nd and then let there be a fierce competition for who gets the RG position. Daniels looks to be an elite center when watching his film. I know Brown had his comedy show at the combine but did improve at his pro day BUT idc about numbers. Go look at his film. He is taylor made for RT in the NFL. When he gets his mitts on you it is absolutely game over. Just go watch his film. Him having a terrible combine could be a blessing for us if we get him in the 2nd. This line could finally get movement and if that happens watch out for Joe Mixon. If our line is able to improve alot we will be back in the playoffs no question and i think thats why we will use our first 2 picks on OL again.

I think this would be amazing.  I doubt that Brown falls to us in the 2nd but there should be another good prospect there.  It's hard to tell what the Bengals are thinking as Hobs keeping downgrading the idea of taking a center.   It wouldn't surprise me if we pick a OT or DT or even corner in the first.  They could take Brown/McClinchey (sp) in the first and Price in the 2nd and I'd be happy.   Just work on the offensive line.  No hope for the playoffs without it.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 08:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, Alvin Kamara says "hold my crepes".    Ninja

Hilarious  And in KC, Hunt says, " hold my BBQ".

The question is, does Mixon say, " here, hold my skyline"? Let's hope so!
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 01:21 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Hilarious  And in KC Hunt says, " hold my BBQ".

The question is, does Mixon say, " here, hold my skyline"? Let's hope so!

Well played.  Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I thought that Mixon played very well last year considering what OL he had to run behind. He showed a significant increase in production when Lazor took control of the running game. I do believe that Mixon and Gio will be the best running back duo in the league next year if we keep improving the OL. IMO our offense will definitely be one of the best in the league if the OL is fixed.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 08:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, Alvin Kamara says "hold my crepes". Ninja

Don’t get me started on Kamara. Drafted him with my last fantasy pick last year and told everyone they’d be begging me to trade him to them by the deadline....held onto him until their bye and he had done nothing and I needed to make a waiver add so I dropped him. The very next week he went off and never looked back. Needless to say I wasn’t able to get him back before someone else snatched him up
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 12:56 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Where are all those crybabies from last years draft?

Right here, and I didn’t want another character concern on a team that has trouble keeping players out of trouble. That said, he hasn’t been an issue so far. Hopefully it stays that way.
Reply/Quote
I'm looking for a good season with Mixon. He is due to breakout. If not, he can punch someone.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Fixing the O-line will help Mixon immensely. Doesn't it?
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 02:35 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Right here, and I didn’t want another character concern on a team that has trouble keeping players out of trouble. That said, he hasn’t been an issue so far. Hopefully it stays that way.

Silence! I kill you!

But no seriously, I hope he stays out too.

A dirty little secret though: The worlds most influential and successful people aren't exactly moral paragon. You could actually argue that a lot of them were a POS.

I wouldn't put too much stock in character unless you're using past actions to predict how they'll be in the future.

Not saying you are, because I don't even remember you being a baby.
Reply/Quote