Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon contract restructure finalizing
Joe has been a team player since the organization took a risk and drafted him, he really wants to stay in cincy as long as he can..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wanna see how long we're committed to pay him guaranteed, but this places him just outside the top 10 for a solid starter who can catch, decent short yardage, and doesn't fumble. He's a great teammate and high energy locker room and sideline guy. He also doesn't turn into a diva if he loses some carries or snap. I think I like it.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 12:26 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. He turns 27 in a couple weeks. That's the prime of his life and i could certainly see them getting 3 more years out of him with how well he stays in shape. He's been nothing but positive when it comes to being a good teammate and you can't fault his enthusiasm and effort. 

He wants to be here and he wants to win. With all the CD talk lately, i remember what it was like when it was the exact opposite.

Rudi Johnson was cooked after his age 27 season.

Chris Johnson was never good after his age 27 season.
Larry Johnson was never good after his age 27 season.
Ezekiel Elliott seems cooked after his age 26 season.
LeSean McCoy was never the same RB after his age 28 season.
Marshawn Lynch was never good after his age 28 season.
DeMarco Murray was never good after his age 28 season.
Maurice Jones-Drew's last good season was his age 26 season.
Ray Rice was done after his age 25 season.
Arian Foster was done after his age 28 season.
LaDainian Tomlinson was a much much worse RB after his age 28 season.
Jamal Lewis was never good again after his age 28 season.

Just pulling names out there, but the list of RBs who are still as good past age 28 isn't huge and it just starts dwindling even quicker from there. 28 is basically the end of the line for a lot of RBs. There are obviously some exceptions, but even those guys normally got worse, they just had a lot more room to decline before passing the line to becoming terrible. Joe Mixon is already at that line and has no more room go to down.

- - - - - 

Except when it comes to effort in pass blocking.    Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 09:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If it's ACTUALLY a restructure, I hate it because it means you're committing to a player for next year as well.

If it's him taking a pay cut, I like it but not as much as if they had replaced him during FA or even done this paycut before/during FA so they could have added more talent with the savings.

(07-14-2023, 09:38 PM)Go Cards Wrote: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this

Only positive I could hope comes from it, is that it is a pay cut and a FA is still added to roster with the savings.

This is definitely a pay cut.  More of a rework than a true restructure.

Reply/Quote
Good shit.
Reply/Quote
Very pleased with this
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 01:10 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Rudi Johnson was cooked after his age 27 season.

Just pulling names out there, but the list of RBs who are still as good past age 28 isn't huge and it just starts dwindling even quicker from there. 28 is basically the end of the line for a lot of RBs. There are obviously some exceptions, but even those guys normally got worse, they just had a lot more room to decline before passing the line to becoming terrible. Joe Mixon is already at that line and has no more room go to down.

- - - - - 

Did you know almost everyone you listed is top 50 all time for most rush attempts in nfl through 6 years.

Joe Mixon has 1300 attempts. By comparison

LT had over 2000
Jamal Lewis 1800
CJ2k 1750
Zeke 1650

Not saying Mixon isn’t on the decline, but (many) of the ones you mentioned were used and abused.
Reply/Quote
This says a lot of good about Joe Mixon, integrity of management, and team culture.
Reply/Quote
There is nothing negative about this unless you’re in the camp of just wanting him gone. None of our other running backs are proven RB1s and this allows continuity and maybe someone will step up and take on a larger role towards the end of this year into next year.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 01:10 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Rudi Johnson was cooked after his age 27 season.

- - - - - 

I know I know you think ownership/staff screwed up again. Big shock
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
If nothing else, this proves that people really want to play with Joe Burrow. Which is nice.
[Image: VYOA6ZFCJ5HNFA3XPZIIQKMJZE.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I've always been a fan of JM on the field and his TD-coin flip was a moment for Bengal lore. It's the off-field I have issue with.

As to the "reported" $6-8 Mil, I'd rather have kept Perine for $3Mil.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

- - - - - 

Really have to disagree with your post here. Sure age is a major factor and obviously players especially RBs will decline as they get older. Your list has players that either have other factors or don't fit Mixons game. I think Mixon still has the tools to have a good season or two. I really think some of the negatives we attribute to Mixons game ( Not breaking tackles ) is due to his commitment to not turning the ball over. 
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 09:44 AM)WildfireMicro Wrote: If nothing else, this proves that people really want to play with Joe Burrow. Which is nice.

I still think the idea of players wanting to play with Burrow or a championship level team as reason to take less money is very overrated. Mixon may have been willing to take less money to help the team because we are good now but I'm sure it has just as much to do with the fact that we are the team that drafted him. Look at the Chiefs, I don't see a bunch of players giving them a discount. The most I see is players struggling to secure a multi year deal taking the single year prove it deal with them and then moving on.

I'm not worried about signing Burrow as I know the team will get something done eventually. But with Mixon taking the pay cut am I the only one that will be upset if we don't see some extensions get done this offseason. Like if we go into the season without extending either Wilson, Higgins or Burrow I will be a little upset. I'm also still a little in the don't extend Higgins camp just because I think it will handcuff us too much in other areas.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 08:09 AM)bengals67 Wrote: This says a lot of good about Joe Mixon, integrity of management, and team culture.

Agree totally.  This is the first time in Bengals history that management and a player have agreed to restructure a contract.

Progressive front office + positive team culture + superstar QB = CHAMPIONSHIPS
Reply/Quote
Everyone wins here...

Bengals get a RB they value at a price that make sense

Mixon stays with the team he wants and makes more money than the open market would yield - probably by far.

As a fan of the team, I have always wanted to see Mixon behind a good line. Hopefully we get that. I thought he was an incredible talent out of OK. I don't think he's come close to his potential and I blame the line for the majority of that.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 10:14 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I still think the idea of players wanting to play with Burrow or a championship level team as reason to take less money is very overrated. Mixon may have been willing to take less money to help the team because we are good now but I'm sure it has just as much to do with the fact that we are the team that drafted him. Look at the Chiefs, I don't see a bunch of players giving them a discount. The most I see is players struggling to secure a multi year deal taking the single year prove it deal with them and then moving on.

I'm not worried about signing Burrow as I know the team will get something done eventually. But with Mixon taking the pay cut am I the only one that will be upset if we don't see some extensions get done this offseason. Like if we go into the season without extending either Wilson, Higgins or Burrow I will be a little upset. I'm also still a little in the don't extend Higgins camp just because I think it will handcuff us too much in other areas.

I wouldn’t be upset I would be in pure shock. No way they restructure Mixon without an extension in the works. They would have just eaten the money.
Reply/Quote
Happy to see this deal get done.
Reply/Quote
Mixon did the organization and the team right and ownership did him right. End of story
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
You have to imagine a high % of that 2m is to break a thousand yards.

We might not see him falling over if he steps in one blade of grass that is longer than the others now.

This is the year I can feel it in my bones.
Reply/Quote