Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mixon doesn’t want Ross to leave
To blame Dalton for Ross's failings is ridiculous. You have to explain why Green and Boyd seem to have little trouble being where they are supposed to be and catching the ball, but Ross doesn't. I'm willing to give him one more year with the new coaches (afterall, he was in Merv's doghouse and may have felt pressured, but he put himself there), but if he doesn't get it this year, then trade him.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 06:22 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: You....you don't get pushed in man coverage.
Do you mean press coverage?

This is false. In man coverage the corner is still going to squeeze you towards the boundary if you go vertical to give a QB less room to place the ball in a playable area. The hand fighting down the field usually is accompanied by leaning towards the boundary to direct you into the boundary line. As a WR you have to drive the CB up field while running the "red line". The difference between elite downfield threats and average to bad ones is that elite ones understand they have to leverage the CB inside to give themselves and the QB space between them and the boundary line to place the ball. Ross often times received "uncatchable" balls because he did a poor job of holding the red line and giving the QB's a catachable area to place the ball. Everyone that always gets mad at Dalton for throwing the ball out of bounds watch the WR split off the line and watch them fade towards the sideline as they work down the field, the WR is actually supposed to hold a split similar to his start in most cases but as they get squeezed he has to put it outside the WR to keep it from getting picked which makes the margin of error very marginal if the route is run poorly. This isn't to say he doesn't miss passes downfield, he does, but people think a go route is just run straight ahead but there is a skill to it...one ross struggles with. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000877899/Andy-Dalton-can-t-connect-with-John-Ross-on-deep-pass

This video above is a perfect example. The CB comes down and shows press but doesn't attempt any jam and just mirrors. Ross off the line gives up huge ground taking a release that shades way too far outside (maybe trying to avoid the perceived press?) and eventually he runs himself out of real estate down the field. It looks like Dalton misses but the reality is that is on ross who needed to have much better route integrity down the field.
Reply/Quote
If Coach Taylor is shopping Ross, then shopping him is the right thing to do.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 10:19 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Coach Taylor is shopping Ross, then shopping him is the right thing to do.

That's where I am on the whole thing.  We are supposed to give ZT a chance and trust the new direction and so on, so the fact that he doesn't see Ross as an asset of value is going to be the first test for our fanbase, I guess.

I'm not saying it is impossible that Ross isn't being mishandled, but it almost seems like the issue is either Ross or the issue is Marvin, Lazor, Dalton, Zac Taylor, and Callahan for all not being able to put Ross in a position to succeed.

On a lighter note, every year we tend to complain that our veteran WRs who aren't AJ Green are getting in the way of the young WRs we want to see, so why can't we just say that getting rid of Ross' dead weight is going to open the door for Auden Tate and the late-round WRs we pick this year?

As for Mixon, ehh....the guy is popular and good and all, but his zeal for airing his thoughts about the franchise on social media could turn pretty stale if he doesn't keep up his on the field prowess. I understand his desire to keep his comrade in Cincy and show solidarity and all that, but he's also posting what could be seen as a grievance with the new HC on a public forum.
Reply/Quote
Bengals information leak is worse than Wiki leaks. Stuff coming out before Zac even knows about it. Why? My money is an insider
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 08:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He sure didn't have top 10 talent around him, either.  The offensive coordinator sure as hell wasn't top 10.  And when you are asked to only run verticals to open up the underneath for the likes of Eifert, Boyd, and Green (which was actually working before injuries caught up to them) you aren't going to get a ton of production.  Ross had 7 TDs on just over 20 receptions and, oddly, most of them came in the Red Zone.
Giving up on Ross now would be stupid.  The new offensive coordinator should be given the opportunity to see if he can become a bigger part of the offensive game plan.  Slants, sweeps, and screens.  There should be 5 manufactured touches a game.  Then, when you actually want to take a deep shot, it won't be the same damn route he ran the entire game.
Lots of people on here were willing to give up on Boyd after a down year 2.  Ditto Dennard after early injuries.  We can't give up on Ross and you would never get anywhere near that draft pick for him.  
Give him this year under ZT and see if he can become more of Tyreek Hill and less of Bennie Brazell....(stretching for a rhyme)

I am pretty sure that it is the new coaching staff who wants to move him.

Boyd showed up and played great with the same QBs and coaching staff as Ross had last year.

My guess is that the team wants to sign Boyd long term and extend AJ Green. Which means Ross gets a ticket out of town.

Reply/Quote
Bengals and Andy Dalton went down hill once they let Sano and Marvin Jones go.

This is just a sign the Bengals are being cheap. This is coming from ownership not the new coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 01:13 AM)BengalChris Wrote: John Ross 2018
Week 17 - 5 targets, 1 catch for 1 yard.
Week 16 - 5 targets, 1 catch for 3 yards (TD).
Week 15 - 5 targets, 1 catch for 6 yards.
Week 14 - 4 targets, 2 catches for 11 yards (TD).
Week 13 - 3 targets, 2 catches for 13 yards.
Week 12 - 7 targets, 3 catches for 31 yards (TD).
Week 11 - 7 targets, 2 catches for 27 yards (TD).
Week 10 - 6 targets, 2 catches for 39 yards (TD).
Week 9 -  bye
Week 8 - injured
Week 7 - 1 target, 0 catches for 0 yards.
Week 6 - injured
Week 5 - injured
Week 4 - 2 targets, 2 catches for 51 yards (TD).
Week 3 - 7 targets, 3 catches for 16 yards.
Week 2 - 4 targets, 1 catch for 8 yards.
Week 1 - 2 targets, 1 catch for 3 yards (TD).

This is just not the production numbers expected of a top 10 pick.

well about every other catch is a TD just needs more catches
Reply/Quote
Look at the money Ross is due coming up. Zac, Dalton, Mixon, AJ do not want Ross to leave.

This is just a sign that the Bengals are still cheap skates
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:20 AM)Flirtdoc Wrote: Look at the money Ross is due coming up. Zac, Dalton, Mixon, AJ do not want Ross to leave.

This is just a sign that the Bengals are still cheap skates

Not to defend the FO, but I would think the cheap move would be to not give Boyd a decent contract and insist that Ross is the #2 WR as long as he's on a rookie deal.

Plus, comp pick!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:23 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Not to defend the FO, but I would think the cheap move would be to not give Boyd a decent contract and insist that Ross is the #2 WR as long as he's on a rookie deal.

Plus, comp pick!!!!!!

They can have both players is my point. Don't fall into the trap of this person for that person. Bengala are loaded in cap space
Reply/Quote
Comp pick? When was the last time a comp pick played snaps for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:26 AM)Flirtdoc Wrote: Comp pick? When was the last time a comp pick played snaps for the Bengals.

Mike Brown lives for comp picks.  This isn't me endorsing them.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 10:48 AM)Nately120 Wrote: That's where I am on the whole thing.  We are supposed to give ZT a chance and trust the new direction and so on, so the fact that he doesn't see Ross as an asset of value is going to be the first test for our fanbase, I guess.

I'm not saying it is impossible that Ross isn't being mishandled, but it almost seems like the issue is either Ross or the issue is Marvin, Lazor, Dalton, Zac Taylor, and Callahan for all not being able to put Ross in a position to succeed.

On a lighter note, every year we tend to complain that our veteran WRs who aren't AJ Green are getting in the way of the young WRs we want to see, so why can't we just say that getting rid of Ross' dead weight is going to open the door for Auden Tate and the late-round WRs we pick this year?

As for Mixon, ehh....the guy is popular and good and all, but his zeal for airing his thoughts about the franchise on social media could turn pretty stale if he doesn't keep up his on the field prowess. I understand his desire to keep his comrade in Cincy and show solidarity and all that, but he's also posting what could be seen as a grievance with the new HC on a public forum.

Maybe the HC shouldn’t have put in out in the public in the first place...

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:15 AM)Flirtdoc Wrote: Bengals and Andy Dalton went down hill once they let Sano and Marvin Jones go.

This is just a sign the Bengals are being cheap. This is coming from ownership not the new coaching staff.

Couple things..
  • The guys name was Sanu
  • It costs money to trade Ross, so how is that being cheap?
  • Your trolling today isn't even good
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Maybe the HC shouldn’t have put in out in the public in the first place...

Perhaps I missed it, Do you have a link to the HC putting it out in public?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:15 AM)Flirtdoc Wrote: Bengals and Andy Dalton went down hill once they let Sano and Marvin Jones go.

Not even close to being accurate. Were they cheap when it came to Geno and Dunlap?

Ross is on his rookie contract, I HIGHLY doubt money is a factor here.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:05 AM)Flirtdoc Wrote: Bengals information leak is worse than Wiki leaks. Stuff coming out before Zac even knows about it. Why?  My money is an insider

1. ZT probably is the one who has decided to move Ross.
2. When you want to trade a player other teams are informed.
3. There are media reporters with contracts in every team. It only took one contact in another team to tell a reporter.
4. The combine has begun and this is where teams talk to each other about player trades.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:44 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps I missed it, Do you have a link to the HC putting it out in public?

All I keep hearing is ZT made the call after watching tape. Don’t know if it’s him, or someone on his staff, but he gets part of the blame because he’s in charge.

Did crap like this leak out under Marvin?

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:44 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps I missed it, Do you have a link to the HC putting it out in public?

ZT is one of those darn millenials.  He probably posted it on his facebook in between selfies and stuff.
Reply/Quote