Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mixon doesn’t want Ross to leave
(02-27-2019, 10:48 AM)Nately120 Wrote: That's where I am on the whole thing.  We are supposed to give ZT a chance and trust the new direction and so on, so the fact that he doesn't see Ross as an asset of value is going to be the first test for our fanbase, I guess.

I'm not saying it is impossible that Ross isn't being mishandled, but it almost seems like the issue is either Ross or the issue is Marvin, Lazor, Dalton, Zac Taylor, and Callahan for all not being able to put Ross in a position to succeed.

On a lighter note, every year we tend to complain that our veteran WRs who aren't AJ Green are getting in the way of the young WRs we want to see, so why can't we just say that getting rid of Ross' dead weight is going to open the door for Auden Tate and the late-round WRs we pick this year?

As for Mixon, ehh....the guy is popular and good and all, but his zeal for airing his thoughts about the franchise on social media could turn pretty stale if he doesn't keep up his on the field prowess.  I understand his desire to keep his comrade in Cincy and show solidarity and all that, but he's also posting what could be seen as a grievance with the new HC on a public forum.
I was hoping Ross would see the light because he could have been a difference making down seem routes and open things for Green.  Oh, well.  Bengals just have to move on.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 11:13 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I am pretty sure that it is the new coaching staff who wants to move him.

Boyd showed up and played great with the same QBs and coaching staff as Ross had last year.

My guess is that the team wants to sign Boyd long term and extend AJ Green. Which means Ross gets a ticket out of town.

Ross is still under his rookie contract and Duke Tobin released a statement today that it was "fake news".  Ross is going to make a lot of people eat their words this year. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 05:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ross is still under his rookie contract and Duke Tobin released a statement today that it was "fake news".  Ross is going to make a lot of people eat their words this year. 

Ross averaged a TD every 3 catches with 2 QBs and a OC whos regulated to getting coffee for the Redskins now
yeah I know 3 to 1 catch to TD ratio.
happens every day. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 05:40 PM)impactplaya Wrote: yeah I know 3 to 1 catch to TD ratio.
happens every day. 

So you are saying Ross could be as great as James Jenkins or Trey Junkin?  Or maybe even Joseph Fauria?

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Well, to make Ross successful they both have to style plays in the offense around his skillset (which they should be doing for everyone) and also he REALLY needs intensive coaching on how to play the WR position - especially on playing the ball in the air.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 08:48 AM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah well, if I were to go deep, any QB would only throw me uncatchable balls. Because I'd be nowhere near a spot where I could catch one.

Now sure, Driskel didn't help much. I wonder though how many uncatchable deep balls were thrown towards AJ from Dalton in the last year or throughout the years. Do you happen to have that stat lying around somewhere?

Is the spot four yards out of bounds?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 05:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ross is still under his rookie contract and Duke Tobin released a statement today that it was "fake news".  Ross is going to make a lot of people eat their words this year. 

Ross has a lot of ground to make up before anyone will need to eat a single word.

Two WRs taken in the same draft

John Ross
#9 overall pick 2017 draft
60 targets, 21 catches, 210 yards, 7 TDs

JuJu Smith-Schuster
62nd overall pick 2017 draft
245 targets, 169 catches, 2343 yards, 14 TDs

Ross has a lot of millage to make up. Even if he has a 1000 yard season in 2019 he'll still be way behind the other guy we passed on twice. The more excuses I hear for Ross' bad production the more I realize what a bad pick he was for this team.

I assure you that if we had picked JuJu instead we'd all be looking at these stats and saying, "boy, aren't we happy we didn't draft that Ross guy."

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 09:57 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ross has a lot of ground to make up before anyone will need to eat a single word.

John Ross

JuJu Smith-Schuster

Ross has a lot of millage to make up. Even if he has a 1000 yard season in 2019 he'll still be way behind the other guy we passed on twice. The more excuses I hear for Ross' bad production the more I realize what a bad pick he was for this team.

I assure you that if we had picked JuJu instead we'd all be looking at these stats and saying, "boy, aren't we happy we didn't draft that Ross guy."

JJSS is good, but let’s see how he does without Brown drawing all the double teams.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 09:57 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ross has a lot of ground to make up before anyone will need to eat a single word.

John Ross

JuJu Smith-Schuster

Juju is more like Boyd when it comes to their role and skill set.  Ross was drafted because they needed a deep threat to offset the constant double teams on AJ and open things up underneath.  
Reply/Quote
Mixon needs to take the DRE clause (Marvin is going nowhere statement).
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 10:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: Juju is more like Boyd when it comes to their role and skill set.  Ross was drafted because they needed a deep threat to offset the constant double teams on AJ and open things up underneath.  

You know this makes no sense.

It's just another excuse for Ross' lack of production.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 10:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: JJSS is good, but let’s see how he does without Brown drawing all the double teams.

Ross has had the luxury of Green and Boyd drawing coverage. So I say the comparison is a fair one.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 12:32 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Ross has had the luxury of Green and Boyd drawing coverage. So I say the comparison is a fair one.

It appears he will get the chance to turn the page like the rest of the team and see what the next chapter brings. 

In my business, if I hire a carpenter, I don't send him out every day to be a plumber.  Just saying.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 12:32 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Ross has had the luxury of Green and Boyd drawing coverage. So I say the comparison is a fair one.

How many games has Ross played with AJ, Boyd, and Dalton? Is it even in double digits?

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 12:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How many games has Ross played with AJ, Boyd, and Dalton? Is it even in double digits?

He played pretty much just as poorly in those games.

I hope Ross turns it around. Said the same thing last year.

I just am not willing to treat him like a good player until he actually becomes a good player. So far, when compared to other players from his year, he's been a big disappointment. I'll never buy that it was Marv out get Ross.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 01:01 AM)BengalChris Wrote: He played pretty much just as poorly in those games.

I hope Ross turns it around. Said the same thing last year.

I just am not willing to treat him like a good player until he actually becomes a good player. So far, when compared to other players from his year, he's been a big disappointment. I'll never buy that it was Marv out get Ross.

It’s definitely up to him at this point. Other than Dalton, Ross is the player I’m most interested in seeing how he performs under some new coaching.

If he’s still a bust, so be it. Everyone that hates him can say they were right. Personally, I’m rooting for the kid to take the next step.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 01:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s definitely up to him at this point. Other than Dalton, Ross is the player I’m most interested in seeing how he performs under some new coaching.

If he’s still a bust, so be it. Everyone that hates him can say they were right. Personally, I’m rooting for the kid to take the next step.

Same here. I've never been one who subscribes to the idea of rooting for any Bengals player to fail. I want them all to have the greatest season any player can have even if that's as rare as hen's teeth in Bengaldom..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 01:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s definitely up to him at this point. Other than Dalton, Ross is the player I’m most interested in seeing how he performs under some new coaching.

I don't hate him. I didn't like the pick, but I don't hate him. So far, the reasons I didn't like the pick have all turned out to be true. And, even if he does have a very good year, that won't change that he's had two bad ones and has been overshadowed by other players in his class, and that the reasons I didn't like the pick all showed themselves in the NFL.

I hope he turns it around, but that won't change the past two years and the reasons people have to doubt him.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 01:59 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't hate him. I didn't like the pick, but I don't hate him. So far, the reasons I didn't like the pick have all turned out to be true. And, even if he does have a very good year, that won't change that he's had two bad ones and has been overshadowed by other players in his class, and that the reasons I didn't like the pick all showed themselves in the NFL.

I hope he turns it around, but that won't change the past two years and the reasons people have to doubt him.

Wasn’t talking about you specifically. There are those in the fandom that seem like they’d rather be right, than root for him to succeed though. At least it seems that way to me.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 02:03 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wasn’t talking about you specifically. There are those in the fandom that seem like they’d rather be right, than root for him to succeed though. At least it seems that way to me.

Well, I hope he does well. If he does well then the Bengals have a better chance of winning and that's what I'd like to see.

Reply/Quote