Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixon is frustrated with lack of carries
(10-23-2017, 04:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Running more doesn't necessarily mean we'd pass less. The proof is in the game we just watched.

1st half: Dalton passed 18 times while our RB's ran 11 times
2nd half: Dalton passed 12 times while our RB's ran 3 times

A good mix of run and pass often leads to more sustained drives, which gives the QB more chances to throw the ball. 

Why would Andy be upset about that?

Okey Doke. I'll put you down for a QB not being upset when a rookie RB says we should run more.

I know if I were the QB and leader of the team; I'd be pissed at the rookie.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 04:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, I guess it could be......but I think, league wide, if you can succeed on the ground, it opens up so much of your playbook, and so many possibilities as to what you can do with it.

Dalton had a great first half, the whole offense did, really.  Then the second half looked like a different team, which is so common under Lewis.  I think Dalton's wheelhouse is the 20-25 attempts per game with a solid run performance.  If I'm him, I might be inclined to agree with the kid.  Defenses don't respect our run game, for good reason, when that's the case, they blanket our receivers.  Until we establish a run identity, it will continue this way.  I don't know who's fault it was the 2nd half that we quit running, but it wasn't a very sound philosophy.  I thought Lazor called a brilliant 1st half, with Dalton making some good presnap reads.....as did Romo.  Then, we didn't.
Maybe we could get Romo to coach here....
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That Center on Michigan looks alright. Krugler i think his name is.

Already looking at the draft lmao

BTW, MB would make more money if he put together a SB winning coaching staff.

The truly sad part is, MB actually realizes that. What we currently have is what Mike thinks is our best possible team of coaches and players. Yes, he is that deluded.

Mike wants to win a super bowl just as bad as we do... He just has no f***ing clue how to do it.

Someone should tie the old codger down and force him to see the numbers from the super bowl years and 2005, when the oline was at its peak. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Okey Doke. I'll put you down for a QB not being upset when a rookie RB says we should run more.

Okey Doke. I'll put you down as someone who can't grasp that a balanced offense leads to more opportunities for everyone. Even when you saw a perfect example yesterday.

Time to brush up on that "acumen" I guess.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
N
(10-23-2017, 05:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Okey Doke. I'll put you down for a QB not being upset when a rookie RB says we should run more.

Bruh... Did you see the numbers he posted? Or even care to acknowledge them?

We ran the ball a grand total of 3 times the entire second half. 3... After 11 runs in the first half that resulted in 2 first half TD's. Mixon had 7 carries for 48 yards in the first half and none in the second. You don't see a problem there? And I think it's fairly obvious that Mixon was calling out the coaching more than Andy. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:09 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Bruh... Did you see the numbers he posted? Or even care to acknowledge them?

We ran the ball a grand total of 3 times the entire second half. 3... After 18 runs in the first half that resulted in 2 first half TD's. Mixon had 7 carries for 48 yards in the first half and none in the second. You don't see a problem there? And I think it's fairly obvious that Mixon was calling out the coaching more than Andy. 

Does seem to be a lot of that going around lately......Hmm 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:09 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: N
Bruh... Did you see the numbers he posted? Or even care to acknowledge them?

We ran the ball a grand total of 3 times the entire second half. 3... After 11 runs in the first half that resulted in 2 first half TD's. Mixon had 7 carries for 48 yards in the first half and none in the second. You don't see a problem there? And I think it's fairly obvious that Mixon was calling out the coaching more than Andy. 

How would you feel if you were the QB and a rookie RB said we should have ran the ball more after a loss?

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Okey Doke. I'll put you down as someone who can't grasp that a balanced offense leads to more opportunities for everyone. Even when you saw a perfect example yesterday.

Time to brush up on that "acumen" I guess.

Perhaps a more efficient passing game in the second half would have lead to more opportunities for everyone like it did in the first half. But yes running the ball more means more passes.

I'll brush up now.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps a more efficient passing game would have lead to more opportunities for everyone. But yes running the ball more means more passes.

I'll brush up now.

[Image: giphy.webp]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps a more efficient passing game in the second half would have lead to more opportunities for everyone like it did in the first half. But yes running the ball more means more passes.

I'll brush up now.

As I noted earlier.....the receivers not named AJ Green can't get open.  They can't get open because they're able to DT 18, and cover the rest, and STILL stop the run.  When no one respects your run game, it makes it tough to throw......as Romo also alluded to when Dalton took off to run and slid instead of throwing it away to keep the clock moving.  In obvious passing situations, it certainly enables to the D to blanket the receivers.  Problem is, our guys are often blanketed from the first series. 

You need more carries to be balanced and keep the D honest.  Regardless of who's saying it.  Remember Benson saying the same thing several years back?

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: As I noted earlier.....the receivers not named AJ Green can't get open.  They can't get open because they're able to DT 18, and cover the rest, and STILL stop the run.  When no one respects your run game, it makes it tough to throw......as Romo also alluded to when Dalton took off to run and slid instead of throwing it away to keep the clock moving.  In obvious passing situations, it certainly enables to the D to blanket the receivers.  Problem is, our guys are often blanketed from the first series. 

You need more carries to be balanced and keep the D honest.  Regardless of who's saying it.  Remember Benson saying the same thing several years back?

I do remember Benson saying it and he got killed on here for it. At least Benson was a vet, instead of a rookie popping off about how he needs the ball more.

Who knows maybe Andy agrees with running it more. I wonder how many other QBs feel that way

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I do remember Benson saying it and he got killed on here for it. At least Benson was a vet, instead of a rookie popping off about how he needs the ball more.

Who knows maybe Andy agrees with running it more. I wonder how many other QBs feel that way

I was all for Benson saying it.  That's what I expect from a guy who wants to be a bell cow.

I'd say it depends on ypur situation.  Troy Aikman probably had no qualms about handing the ball to Emmitt Smith.  When you have an Adrian Peterson....do you chuck the ball out of spite?  No.  Not saying Mixon is the next AP, but maybe in his mind, he is.  That's the mindset I'd want from my back. Then again, I tend to be a team first kinda guy.

If you're upset that a rookie doesn't know his place, I can understand that.  However....with the tweets from Gio and Dunlap this offseason, and the near mutiny over Zampese, I don't get the sense that the players are trying to get 14 benched. That's just me....

Reply/Quote
I think the fact that our Oline is bad is more of a reason Mixon should get more carries. He can make guys miss and looks like he Breaks tackles. Even with our bad line there have been a number of carries he looks close to breaking it for a big gain. I can't say the same for Hill. I like Gio alot and think he should still get his touches as he is capable of big plays as well. Especially if he catches the ball in space. Mixon looks like he has some special abilities. I just wanna see the Bengals take advantage of that.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 12:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Romo said Fischer blocked down; probably as he was instructed to do. He did say Fischer should have went after the unblocked player; however, he has no idea what the scheme was. I assume we left the RB in the backfield to pick up the blitzer. Regardless what Fischer did Mixon whiffed on his block and perhaps was a reason he was pulled.

I've always been a fan of running the ball but many here call that Marvin being to conservative "playing not to lose", until he don't run it, then he needs to be more conservative.

Thanks coach.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Apparently, Marv said Hill started each half so that Mixon could watch and learn, smdh.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: I was all for Benson saying it.  That's what I expect from a guy who wants to be a bell cow.

I'd say it depends on ypur situation.  Troy Aikman probably had no qualms about handing the ball to Emmitt Smith.  When you have an Adrian Peterson....do you chuck the ball out of spite?  No.  Not saying Mixon is the next AP, but maybe in his mind, he is.  That's the mindset I'd want from my back. Then again, I tend to be a team first kinda guy.

If you're upset that a rookie doesn't know his place, I can understand that.  However....with the tweets from Gio and Dunlap this offseason, and the near mutiny over Zampese, I don't get the sense that the players are trying to get 14 benched. That's just me....

Any good leader has a team first mindset. A proper balance is beneficial to an offense...especially one with a terrible line. 

Again, I'm not sure why Andy would be upset with the RB wanting balance. Balance led to more points and more passes in the first half.

I wonder if Ben is pissed that Bell got 35 carries yesterday, while Ben only passed 24 times?
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 04:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If a running back thinks the runners should have more carries what does that lead you to think he is saying about the passing?

Put yourself in Andy's shoes. If a rookie RB says we should have ran the ball more after a loss; how would it make you feel?

Not slamming Andy for his play yesterday, just bringing up a dynamic not mentioned; perhaps, Marvin was standing up for his QB when he dismissed Mixon's comments........

Marvin dismissed his comments because he's a clueless moron. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How would you feel if you were the QB and a rookie RB said we should have ran the ball more after a loss?

Considering Mixon was 100% right, if I were Andy I would have agreed with Joe 100%. I certainly wouldn't take it as a slight against me, especially when the team ran the ball only 14 times all f***ing game. 

Hell if I were Andy, I would have told the coaches to shove it and audibled to a run play at least a few times so the offense had some sense of balance.

Don't kid yourself, the fact that Mixon didn't get another carry in the second half after going 7 for 48 in the first is a complete joke. Mixon knows it, and called out the coaches for it. 

I really don't see how you could take it as Joe talking down on Andy. 
Reply/Quote
I'm quite sure with the pounding Andy was taking, he would have been happy to hand off to Mixon....
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm quite sure with the pounding Andy was taking, he would have been happy to hand off to Mixon....

LOL....my thinking as well.

Reply/Quote