Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Mixon's Expected To Be Released
(03-08-2024, 05:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A RB that can protect the passer and break tackles? Yes please.

I'm becoming a big Zack Moss fan.  He'll be cheap and he's a good blocker.  Did great in Indy.  

I would be extremely surprised if the Bengals cut Mixon and then turned around to spend big money on another back.  I'd guess it will be Brown, free agent role player, then mid round pick.  

I do believe they will sign someone, though.  There's almost no chance they draft a rookie and trust him to block on third down.  

It's taken some time, but I think Gio's value to them becomes more clear as each year passes.  It's be wonderful to have prime Gio back there on third down blocking for 9 and catching dump-off passes.   
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 07:04 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm becoming a big Zack Moss fan.  He'll be cheap and he's a good blocker.  Did great in Indy.  

I would be extremely surprised if the Bengals cut Mixon and then turned around to spend big money on another back.  I'd guess it will be Brown, free agent role player, then mid round pick.  

I do believe they will sign someone, though.  There's almost no chance they draft a rookie and trust him to block on third down.  

It's taken some time, but I think Gio's value to them becomes more clear as each year passes.  It's be wonderful to have prime Gio back there on third down blocking for 9 and catching dump-off passes.   

I also like Zach Moss for us, he fits, as Pulses has said, Devin Singletary also fits. Then we can add talent in the Draft where it is abundant.

Like you said, I don't see us spending big money, we want to get young and cheaper at the position. I think if we do any of these scenarios 
while drafting a back like Braelon Allen, Trey Benson, Jonathan Brooks, Tyrone Tracy Jr, Kimani Vidal etc we will be much better off at RB.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 07:04 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm becoming a big Zack Moss fan.  He'll be cheap and he's a good blocker.  Did great in Indy.  

I think prime Gio would be the starting RB for this Bengals team. The Bengals have been 29th and 30th in rushing attempts the last two years. His two biggest strengths (pass catching and pass blocking) are arguably the two most important things a RB needs in this offense.

His first three years in the NFL he averaged 795 yards rushing (4.3 YPC) and 505 yards receiving (9.0 AVG) for 1300 total yards per 17 games. Presumably the receiving yards would have increased with Joe Burrow as his QB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 11:12 PM)pulses Wrote: Devin Singletary

Saquon Barkley is the most talented pass blocker of the guys currently available. He had a 76.6 grade in 100 opportunities. 

Henry had a slightly better grade, but was only asked to pass block 48 times. Next are guys like Gibson and Moss, who are both solid. 

Singletary struggled this year with just a 34.3 grade in 69 chances...but was better last season.

To me, Barkley would be a great fit. Talented back, 27 years old, very good receiver and a high-end pass blocker...which is a huge factor, IMO. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 02:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Saquon Barkley is the most talented pass blocker of the guys currently available. He had a 76.6 grade in 100 opportunities. 

Henry had a slightly better grade, but was only asked to pass block 48 times. Next are guys like Gibson and Moss, who are both solid. 

Singletary struggled this year with just a 34.3 grade in 69 chances...but was better last season.

To me, Barkley would be a great fit. Talented back, 27 years old, very good receiver and a high-end pass blocker...which is a huge factor, IMO. 

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but Barkley seems to struggle with staying healthy.  I think he his rookie season is the only one he never missed a game, and the dude's name always seems to be on the injury report.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Folks, there is no way we spend a Day 2 pick at RB. Zero chance. If Allen lasts till Day 3, maybe.

The OT, WR, and CB classes are DEEP. And we happen to need a RT, WR3, and CB4. Plus TE1.

If FA plugs TWO of those + 2 DTs + vet S, then maybe a RB.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 02:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Saquon Barkley is the most talented pass blocker of the guys currently available. He had a 76.6 grade in 100 opportunities. 

Not a fan of Barkley to be honest. Can't explain it, but just really don't want anything to do with him. 

One of the best college plays I've seen was, Hubbard tackling Barkley and the QB at the same time. He didn't know who had the ball, so he just tackled both of them.
Reply/Quote

Saquon Barkley is crazy talented alright. I figure he will cost a lot of dough though even if he is injured all the time.

(03-09-2024, 03:16 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Not a fan of Barkley to be honest. Can't explain it, but just really don't want anything to do with him. 

One of the best college plays I've seen was, Hubbard tackling Barkley and the QB at the same time. He didn't know who had the ball, so he just tackled both of them.

Maybe you have a feeling he will never be available to play because of injury, I could understand that, but if it is from just 
the player it makes no sense Wedge. Barkley would probably be one of if not the best RB in the NFL if not for injuries, he 
can do it all and is electric, hard to tackle, fast, strong, has all the moves, vision, great burst and is a good pass blocker and
can catch the ball out of the backfield.

If Saquon Barkley could stay healthy with us he could be the best RB talent wise we have ever had or at least since Dillon.
Reply/Quote

Honestly for what we do here, I think Antonio Gibson would be a pretty solid pickup. He's a pretty good pass catching back and seems to be shifter than Mixon.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:41 PM)jason Wrote: Honestly for what we do here, I think Antonio Gibson would be a pretty solid pickup. He's a pretty good pass catching back and seems to be shifter than Mixon.

Yeah, underrated name out there for sure, I would welcome Gibson here no problem.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:41 PM)jason Wrote: Honestly for what we do here, I think Antonio Gibson would be a pretty solid pickup. He's a pretty good pass catching back and seems to be shifter than Mixon.

I like Gibson a lot and talked about him early on. Tremendous pass blocker as well. The biggest concern with him is the fumbling issues. If he could clean that up, he could be one helluva pairing with Brown.

Outside Barkley...Moss and Gibson are the guys I think fit the best, from an all-round standpoint.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I like Gibson a lot and talked about him early on. Tremendous pass blocker as well. The biggest concern with him is the fumbling issues. If he could clean that up, he could be one helluva pairing with Brown.

Honestly that is the one reason I am not totally in on releasing Mixon. He is so secure with the ball.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Saquon Barkley is crazy talented alright. I figure he will cost a lot of dough though even if he is injured all the time.

Maybe you have a feeling he will never be available to play because of injury, I could understand that, but if it is from just 
the player it makes no sense Wedge. Barkley would probably be one of if not the best RB in the NFL if not for injuries, he 
can do it all and is electric, hard to tackle, fast, strong, has all the moves, vision, great burst and is a good pass blocker and
can catch the ball out of the backfield.

If Saquon Barkley could stay healthy with us he could be the best RB talent wise we have ever had or at least since Dillon.
The injury thing could be it Nate. He's gonna cost a lot.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 04:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote: The injury thing could be it Nate. He's gonna cost a lot.

Yeah, it is honestly quite the gamble with Barkley. I thought he was going to be the next great RB after his rookie season and then the 
bad injury happened and just kept happening. He might not end up even being a good RB when it is all said and done and he could of 
been one of the best ever with his talent.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 11:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: A friend just sent me the link on X:

Here

I'm glad that we're moving on. Loved him for a lot of his career but I just don't think he fits our system too well anymore.

Who do we go after now? 

Henry? Jacobs? Barkley?

Mathew Berry is NOT an insider, he is not a reporter.  He said he heard this, but also said he has heard it for 3 straight years now.  He stated that he posts the recent "gossip" and put zero credence into the Mixon comment.  

Could still happen but he crushed the "aggregators" for using him as a source. 

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 04:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote: The injury thing could be it Nate. He's gonna cost a lot.

The best ability is availability, and a significant portion of the time he's unavailable.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not a good fit, struggles between tackles, we need  a hammer not rubber mallet. 
Reply/Quote
I think Boyd and Mixon should be released, traded, cut whatever works. They were great players, specially Boyd, came big in many games and got the ratbirds outta the playoffs in the last game of the season couple yrs ago.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:14 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Folks, there is no way we spend a Day 2 pick at RB. Zero chance. If Allen lasts till Day 3, maybe.

The OT, WR, and CB classes are DEEP. And we happen to need a RT, WR3, and CB4. Plus TE1.

If FA plugs TWO of those + 2 DTs + vet S, then maybe a RB.

Would love to get Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville if he is around in Round 4.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Honestly that is the one reason I am not totally in on releasing Mixon. He is so secure with the ball.

Yep. He is durable. He never fumbles. And 1,400 yards and 12 TDs isn't chopped liver.

There is no way I release Mixon & count on a draft pick to replace him. The top picks need to address bigger needs (RT, DT, WR3, TE, CB4), whichever are left after FA. And a Day 3 pick is not a reliable replacement. 

If we sign an upgrade in FA (Henry, Barkley) or a proven equivalent (Moss?), then I could see it. Or if we knock it out of the park in FA & can spend a higher pick on a RB. But pass pro isn't a hallmark of rookie RBs. 
Reply/Quote