Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon to take pay cut?
Sounds like the Bengals are going to ask Mixon to take a pay cut.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/04/bengals-expected-to-ask-joe-mixon-to-take-pay-cut
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Cut him.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 10:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Cut him.

Agreed. I do think it’s interesting that they may be waiting until the money is dried up to do the “take a cut or get cut” game. Especially knowing the Vikings are potentially doing the same thing with Dalvin Cook right now.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 10:46 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Sounds like the Bengals are going to ask Mixon to take a pay cut.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/04/bengals-expected-to-ask-joe-mixon-to-take-pay-cut

Paul Dehner thinks they are. But nobody in that building has told him that but I’m sure several in the building have that opinion. If they do reduce it he will be on the roster through his contract. He won’t w/o assurances IMO.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Saw this coming a mile away.

With him not being able to draw any interest from other teams due to his incident in college and the current one, I think they outright cut him and then re-sign him for a lot less when there's no interest from other teams.

It's sad and he might feel disrespected, but it's a business and we've gotta do what's best for us.
Reply/Quote
It's not like JM can negotiate from a position of power. They ask him to take a pay cut he has 2 options:

Take the cut
Get cut

Pat Kiwan states there's only one player that has ever been asked to take a pay cut, refuse, and remain on the team. Jason Peters.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 11:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's not like JM can negotiate from a position of power. They ask him to take a pay cut he has 2 options:

Take the cut
Get cut

Pat Kiwan states there's only one player that has ever been asked to take a pay cut, refuse, and remain on the team. Jason Peters.

Exactly and, like I said, with his past and the current situation, no team will pick him up.

I loved him and want him to be here (as long as he goes back to running hard downhill), but it's a business and we hold all the cards.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 11:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly and, like I said, with his past and the current situation, no team will pick him up.

I loved him and want him to be here (as long as he goes back to running hard downhill), but it's a business and we hold all the cards.

I don't know. Some players are pretty stubborn and won't take pay cuts. We shall see.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 11:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. Some players are pretty stubborn and won't take pay cuts. We shall see.

I agree but, in his situation, he has to know that he has no choice if he wants to keep playing.
Reply/Quote
Mixon is not performing like a top 5 running back now. He is paid like a top 5 running back. It is reasonable to ask Mixon to take a cut in pay or be cut.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 11:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. Some players are pretty stubborn and won't take pay cuts. We shall see.

And the Bengals will probably do it in a respectful, not burn relationships kind of way. 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 11:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree but, in his situation, he has to know that he has no choice if he wants to keep playing.

Play for the Bengals?
Reply/Quote
Mixon has indicated in the past he will do what he needs to to stay
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 09:10 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Mixon has indicated in the past he will do what he needs to to stay

Yes, he knew this was coming
Reply/Quote
He did show up for workouts and that's good to see from a team player/captain. He's still all in.

If it wasn't for the offseason, I'd still support Mixon, but I'm thinking his last concussion left lasting effects, or he hasn't changed as much as we hoped, or he isn't keeping good people around him, which leads me to believe he's a ticking timebomb and we may need to cut ties before it explodes.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Here's my guess FWIW

They're going to cut him without cutting him. The offer he receives to remain is going to be a giant cut, hoping he refuses. He'll say I can't do that and they'll cut him.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 09:33 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Here's my guess FWIW

They're going to cut him without cutting him. The offer he receives to remain is going to be a giant cut, hoping he refuses. He'll say I can't do that and they'll cut him.

They could always put him on the trading block.  Who might be interested?  The Panthers might be interested, after that 5 td performance against them, on the only day that Mixon showed up to work with a chip on his shoulder last season.  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 12:00 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Mixon is not performing like a top 5 running back now. He is paid like a top 5 running back. It is reasonable to ask Mixon to take a cut in pay or be cut.

Has Mixon ever performed like a Top 5 back for a season?

I think he's had really good years, but I don't think he was ever a Top 5 guy.
Reply/Quote
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/16/bill-belichick-joe-mixon-best-back-nfl/
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 11:13 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Has Mixon ever performed like a Top 5 back for a season?

I think he's had really good years, but I don't think he was ever a Top 5 guy.

In 2021 - mixon was top 3 in yards, top 4 in tds, top 5 in first downs

That’s the only year.
Reply/Quote