Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Momentum builds for cancellation of Bills-Bengals game
(01-05-2023, 01:45 PM)Nepa Wrote: Then if you decided after the weekend I would accuse you of bias in deciding whether of not to hold the Bengals-Bills game. That you weighed the results in making your decision. I would also blame you for pushing players that may need rest to play and risk injury when you could have given them clarity on whether the game they are playing in has any meaning -- notably the Ravens have zero idea if the game they are playing in is worth risking injury or not. Thankfully, you are not the NFL commissioner so you won't get the wrath of fans for putting dollar signs above the integrity of the game or the health of the players.

As noted i disagree, the NFL has trended to making the games meaningful last week, this fits into their thinking.. I believe they will wait till Sunday to announce so it does not prejudice the games played this weekend.. i don;t see it as bias but we all have our own opinions...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And if the Bills win and KC loses, Bills are actually the 1 seed.

But that also opens the door for the Bengals to be #1 if they beat the Ravens. 
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:48 PM)KillerGoose Wrote:

I sincerely doubt Kansas City would play ball with that first scenario.

The second one is very interesting.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Bills did not forfeit the game.. NFL suspended the game
Sorry. I was saying they should forfeit it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:39 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: At this point, I'm not really concerned with what decision they make, but I think they really need to make a definitive decision before the weekend.

I don't think it's fair to the players of several teams if they are being led to believe that MAYBE the game will be played later. That will impact injury reports, it will impact how teams practice, how teams prepare for week 18 and beyond and it just draws this whole thing out much longer than it needs to be.

NFL. Make the call. Either schedule the game or NC it. But stop dangling the carrot. For everyone's sakes.

Exactly, why continue to wait! One of the best examples of leadership is to making tough decisions! Why drag it out - I just think if this had affected a NFL darling like the Steelers decisions would have been made (Although this could "eventually" affect the steelers)
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:33 PM)Nepa Wrote: Exactly.

And making a decision on the Bengals-Buffalo game after the weekend games are played would make it look like the NFL bureaucrats weighed the results in their decision. You know, we like or don't like who is seeded 1, 2, and 3, and the division winner between the Bengals and the Ravens. i see no combinations of wins or losses this weekend in which the seeding would not be impacted by a game between the Bengals and the Bills.

And can you imagine being a team playing this weekend for a win thinking it'll get them in, they get the win and then find out after the fact the league decided on an outcome of the Cin/Buf game that actually takes them back out of the playoffs?  The NFL is going to end up with a lot of very upset people if they don't make a decision sooner than later.  I definitely expect the league is doing all of this at this point to keep this weekend competitive, but it's really, really wrong. 

Bottom line?  The longer the clock ticks, the more people are going to be upset at any conclusion the league reaches.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:42 PM)Mer Wrote: If KC loses this weekend the NFL is really going to be a mess. I'm expecting a lot of favorable calls for KC so the NFL can avoid that one.

BINGO!!!! You nailed it! Calls from the league office have likely already gone out to game officials.

While not scripted, the NFL appears to be a rigged system.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
Had the score been tied I'd call it a tie or a no contest, but the score was 7-3 Cincinnati. Any decision other than a Buffalo Forfeit is the wrong decision IMHO. It's the least impactful decision across the league. Anything else has a much larger ripple affect. And, yes, as hard as it would be if the score were flipped the win should go to Buffalo. Of course that's easy to type since that's not the case.
Reply/Quote
How does momentum build for one guy to decide something. Because he is not deciding it others around him are.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:54 PM)Science Friction Wrote: BINGO!!!! You nailed it! Calls from the league office have likely already gone out to game officials.

While not scripted, the NFL appears to be a rigged system.

Kind of like the WWE and WWF.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:56 PM)Mer Wrote: Any decision other than a Buffalo Forfeit is the wrong decision IMHO.

I'm perfectly okay with a Buffalo forfeit. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:20 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Kind of like the WWE and WWF.

Goodell's NFL is beginning to look more and more like McMahon's WWE. They'll soon become indistinguishable.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:56 PM)Mer Wrote: Had the score been tied I'd call it a tie or a no contest, but the score was 7-3 Cincinnati. Any decision other than a Buffalo Forfeit is the wrong decision IMHO. It's the least impactful decision across the league. Anything else has a much larger ripple affect. And, yes, as hard as it would be if the score were flipped the win should go to Buffalo. Of course that's easy to type since that's not the case.

I'm starting to think the same.  Both teams had a possession, we were up.  Buf head coach said he needed to be at the hospital during their mid field meeting, before the game was suspended.  I'd take the L if the roles were reversed. 

I get the league treading lightly on this, but sometimes tough, and possibly unpopular, decisions need to be made.   Unfortunately, they're veiling ulterior monetary ambitions.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:39 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: At this point, I'm not really concerned with what decision they make, but I think they really need to make a definitive decision before the weekend.

I don't think it's fair to the players of several teams if they are being led to believe that MAYBE the game will be played later. That will impact injury reports, it will impact how teams practice, how teams prepare for week 18 and beyond and it just draws this whole thing out much longer than it needs to be.

NFL. Make the call. Either schedule the game or NC it. But stop dangling the carrot. For everyone's sakes.

(01-05-2023, 10:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's pretty much where I'm at, just do something for crying out loud.

Same mind. Just annoying how the NFL was so unprepared for something like this. It was bound to happen in this day and age.

Still think they should just give us the win as it was 7-3 when the game was postponed. Sucks for the Bills but if it was the other 
way around and they were going down the field on us in the same fashion I would be okay with giving the Bills the win even if it 
sucked. Think it is more fair then just cancelling the game or saying it was a tie.
Reply/Quote
If they go the neutral site AFC Championship route they have to do the same in any of the following scenarios for the divisional round.

2Buff (13-3) 3Cincy (12-4),
2Cincy (12-4) 3 Buff (12-4)
2KC (13-4) 3Cincy (12-4)

All of those scenarios would be flipped around depending on the outcome of the Bills-Bengals game so it would be only fair to eliminate home field for those games as well and not just the AFC Champ game.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:38 PM)Mer Wrote: If the above happens we should be the #1 seed with Buffalo forfeiting our game.

I think the expectation is that it would be considered not a game for both teams.
Bills and Bengals would only have 16 games on the season whereas everyone else has 17.
Just the Bills forfeiting would be a different story, as it would give the Bengals a win and the Bills a loss.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:46 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: If they go the neutral site AFC Championship route they have to do the same in any of the following scenarios for the divisional round.

2Buff (13-3) 3Cincy (12-4),
2Cincy (12-4) 3 Buff (12-4)
2KC (13-4) 3Cincy (12-4)

All of those scenarios would be flipped around depending on the outcome of the Bills-Bengals game so it would be only fair to eliminate home field for those games as well and not just the AFC Champ game.

WC round at the division winner home field. Divisional and Championship rounds at neutral sites, if they're not going to play the Buff/Cin game. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:48 PM)cinci4life Wrote: But that also opens the door for the Bengals to be #1 if they beat the Ravens. 

No it wouldn't.

If KC loses, they are 13-4 (.7647).
Bengals, at best, would be 12-4 (.7500).

So there would be no way Bengals could get higher than 2 seed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:32 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Goodell's NFL is beginning to look more and more like McMahon's WWE. They'll soon become indistinguishable.

lol...this is absurd. I know that if I really believed that I wouldn't watch another game. None of it is scripted or rigged.
Reply/Quote