Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Momentum builds for cancellation of Bills-Bengals game
If the NFL's "GOD"-man had just scheduled a resumption of the game for yesterday as Rule 17 says he should make every effort to do so , then all this could have been avoided. If the Bills decided to not take the field, then they get a forfeit loss. Problem resolved. No random numbers, no moving playoffs back, no seeding controversies. no neutral sites needed. Bad, BAD commissioner!!!
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Indy and Detroit are the obvious locations but they should also consider neutral site for the division round if it's between the Bengals and the Bills. 

Just ignoring that and focusing only on the #1 seed and AFCCG would be negligent and short-sighted. 

Honestly, I suspect the league's concern is KC and Buffalo. Even last year they put the Bengals in all the playoff spots that typically get the poorest ratings: the first Saturday games, for example. Last year's epic dual between KC and Buffalo is probably still on their mind.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 06:07 PM)Science Friction Wrote: If the NFL's "GOD"-man  had just scheduled a resumption of the game for yesterday as Rule 17 says he should make every effort to do so , then all this could have been avoided. If the Bills decided to not take the field, then they get a forfeit loss. Problem resolved. No random numbers, no moving playoffs back, no seeding controversies. no neutral sites needed.  Bad, BAD commissioner!!!

Someone should hit him with a rolled-up NY Times.  Sunday edition, preferably.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 06:04 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: There were some on here who were advocating even before Monday's incident (I'm not sure who and it's immaterial at this point anyway) that we rest our starters against Baltimore even if we had a shot at the #2 seed.  I'm starting to lean in that direction.  Keep our powder dry for Wildcard Weekend, and maybe the league will see fit to throw us a bone with some neutral site in the Division round or AFCCG.  My only concern with that approach would be that the team is still recovering mentally from Monday night and they'll have had no live game action, and only half a quarter at that, since two weeks before the playoff game.

If the Bengals rest and lose, and Buffalo loses, the leauge looks at the Bengals and says "neutral site for the division round? Nah, you didn't bother to play your starters when it was still within your grasp". 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 06:06 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Where do you think the whole notion of "better teams" (aka favorites) comes from?

Teams that win the most and have the highest profiles. 

See, this is where the rabbit hole enters the picture and i bow out. 

Wink

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
We aren’t resting starters if we can get a 2 seed. Zero chance it happens.
Reply/Quote
Vic Carruci who covers the Bills is saying they aren't replaying the game because the Bills don't want to not the league.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:31 PM)Nepa Wrote: As upsetting as it is, at least the NFL seems ready to let the teams know before the weekend. I give them props for that.

But if it is indeed the case that the Bills-Bengals game will not be resumed, then if i were the Bengals I would play the starters only one half, so they can be sharp for the playoffs. The starters only played 7 snaps on Monday and the defense only 12. Just get a lead and then rely on the reserves to try and preserve the lead.  I cannot imagine the Ravens will play their starters. They have zero incentive to do anything other than rest their starters.

Depends if the Ravens want the 5th seed or not.
They need to win and also Chargers to lose to get 5th seed. 5th seed plays winner of TEN-JAX.
That's a pretty enticing matchup for the wildcard team.

The 6th seed will have to play either the Bengals or Bills.

2nd seed will have to play the Patriots, Dolphins, or Steelers.

Would you rather play the Chargers/Ravens, or the Patriots/Dolphins/Steelers?

I would lean toward Pats or Dolphins, then Chargers, then Ravens (although Ravens more if Jackson isn't healthy still), and Steelers last.
Steelers are bad but I know they'll pull out every cheap tactic to try to sneak a win.
Plus the NFL would love for their favorite (AFC) franchise to advance in the playoffs when they were written off back in Oct.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 06:21 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: Vic Carruci who covers the Bills is saying they aren't replaying the game because the Bills don't want to not the league.

That's fine. Bengals can just PTSD their ass the next time they play in a couple weeks, then a neutral site AFCCG. 

Buffalo can just start over next year on their quest for a ring. 

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 06:21 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: Vic Carruci who covers the Bills is saying they aren't replaying the game because the Bills don't want to not the league.

If that's true, then they forfeit the game.  Such utter BS that one team can just opt out and screw multiple other teams over. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 06:18 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: We aren’t resting starters if we can get a 2 seed. Zero chance it happens.

IDK, if they are banged up (Hendrickson), I would.  It might depend on what the Ravens do. They could sit nearly everyone. I mean, they could get #5 if the Chargers lose to Denver. I'd certainly want Jacksonville/Tennessee over us/Bills/Chiefs. But I certainly would not rush Jackson back to do it. And once Jackson sits, their chances are not good. And Huntley is banged up too. 

If there are guys who are in a bad place mentally (Reader, etc) on the week-end, I'd sit them as well. 
Reply/Quote

Of course they don't - they have zero to gain from it. 

They need to just forfeit if they don't want to play. Ridiculous. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
It sucks that #1 is off the table, and that #2 is out of our hands. And that we did not get to finish that game on Monday.

But we also clinched the North. Did not take much of a physical piunding last week. And I still have hope the NFL will adjust the format/home field for any games vs Buffalo/Cincy/KC against each other. If KC wins Saturday, then Cincy v KC should be in KC.
Reply/Quote
Our team is too kind already. They walked off with the Bills on Monday and let them choose not to play the game today. They always talk about their mental health but how about our players who were clearly affected too? And we actually came out on fire and had 7-3 lead, it's a real number. The least we can receive is having Bills/Bengals game on neutral site if they meet again.
Reply/Quote
I’m thankful the team just readjusts and takes what the game throws at them so well. No bitching moaning or whinging about this, that and the other just deal with what they can control. So much respect for the Bengals organisation here.
Reply/Quote

If that’s true, then it needs to be a forfeit.I have empathy for the situation, but I don’t care about empathy in regards to playing the game. It either needs to be offered to play or take the forfeit.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 06:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's fine. Bengals can just PTSD their ass the next time they play in a couple weeks, then a neutral site AFCCG. 

Buffalo can just start over next year on their quest for a ring. 

Disgraceful. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 06:40 PM)wanga Wrote: Disgraceful. 

It was a big over the top, wasn't it?

Reply/Quote

If I were the Bills I would not want to play the game either. it's at Paycor. They would start behind 7-3 with the Bengals already driving. They would put at risk losing control of home field advantage over the Bengals. It's mostly all negatives. Heck, if I were the Bills I'd lobby for all future Bills-Bengals games to be in front of the Bills mafia. 

I think a lot of my empathy for the Bills, and respect for their organization, might erode if the Bills are actually advocating not to play the game, and as as result the Bengals end up playing the playoff game in front of the Bill's mafia and they are so loud our players can't hear the signals or audibles.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 06:40 PM)wanga Wrote: Disgraceful. 

no no

PTSD as in Put The Smack Down
Reply/Quote